Charity during the pandemic

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Superleaf444

Charity during the pandemic

Post by Superleaf444 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:20 pm

Heya,

How is everyone that still has stable work giving to charity during this time? I have recurring amounts I give to couple of charities, but I've not increased the amount despite my day-to-day expenses going to an all time low.

I've given to a couple of drives to give money to creatives. Anytime I've ordered from a restaurant I try to tip around 50%. Thing is I still feel like I'm not doing enough and I wanted to see what others are doing. There are just so many fundraisers going on it is very easy to get overwhelmed.

p.s. Sorry if this is a repeat post, I searched and couldn't find anything that asked this question, easily could have overlooked it tho'.

Swansea

Re: Charity during the pandemic

Post by Swansea » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:38 pm

I am making my normal monthly contributions per usual, and intend to stay the course.

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:48 pm

We are retired.

Here is what we are doing:
1. Paying all our regular workers whether they can show up or not. We told our housekeeper she's on leave with pay and we send her the usual check. Our yard guy shows up anyway since he's outdoors. Increasing some outdoor work by pruners & painters since they could use the work. Paying our barber for cuts we're not going in to get.
2. Giving Huge tips for those who deliver our groceries, wine and food from local restaurants--they are on the front lines, along with all our health care workers.
3. Making increased donations to our list of charities from CDs and bond funds (rather than from our DAF, which was invested aggressively and is down at the moment).
4. Sending extra money (that we are not spending on vacations or travel this year) to local food banks, etc.
5. Big tips to our newspaper deliverers. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek].

This is a really tough time for gig and hourly workers, and for those who have lost their jobs.
Since our needs are few at the moment, we are trying to put as much money as we can back into circulation!

Be Safe. Be Kind. Be Generous. Rus. :beer (with a Quarantini)
Last edited by Rus In Urbe on Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:51 pm

Gave a large grant from our Donor Advised Fund to the Maryland Food Bank. They supply a lot of the local food banks and pantries.

The community foundation in our area has a dedicated pandemic relief fund so will probably just give another large grant to them as a conduit to local charities. The foundation provides grants up to $5K to local non-profits.

edit: eating out more often than usual via takeout to support local restaurants. The day before the lockdown here I stopped by the place that cuts my hair and bought a haircut that I won't receive.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Roadhog

Post by Roadhog » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:58 pm

Retired but in very good shape. Gave nice cash contribution to county food bank which supplies local food banks in turn - they can provide a meal for 20 cents. Put on CC since DAF is down somewhat. Am prepared to continue this as needed since we are spending a lot less. Also patronizing local restaurants for take out and giving very nice tips. We all can - and must - do something.

AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:01 pm

The CARES act provides that even those who don't itemize on their tax returns can deduct up to $300 in charitable contributions.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:25 pm

Food pantry demand is up significantly. Consider giving to your local food pantry or Feeding America.
Job assistance programs will face significant demands in the upcoming months. Consider supporting them.
Domestic violence has increased as people are spending more time at home. Consider giving to an organization that supports victims of domestic abuse.
I have seen fundraisers to pay for PPE or meals for health care workers for local hospitals. Consider supporting them.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:16 pm

We made our normal asset transfer to Donor Advised Fund in Jan, and normal disbursements to the three main charities from the DAF. We'll see but I don't expect any additions. Our charity plan is based on the idea there are always big unmet needs, and we give what we've decide to give to meet our tiny part of them (we could give away everything and destitute ourselves, we could give away nothing, we've chosen a level in between and that's it, basically). I don't count giving a delivery person a bigger tip as really charity and the $ amounts for which we'd actually do that are negligible compared to our actual charitable giving. Nor do I consider ordering takeout as charity, I'm getting the take out after all. We don't have any one-on-one service providers who'd think of us as even their partial 'employers'. We're giving our grown kids sizable (smaller than our charitable giving but way more than delivery tips) cash grants to ease the financial pressure on them but I guess most would agree that's not charity, which means to strangers.

JustCurious304

Post by JustCurious304 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:29 pm

I am sending QCD checks from my traditional IRA's for the first time. Two are going to the local Meals on Wheels and the Salvation Army. I also looked at Charity Navigator.org and saw that the Center for Disaster Philanthropy is highly rated, so I made a donation to them also.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:34 pm

bluebolt wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:25 pm
Food pantry demand is up significantly. Consider giving to your local food pantry or Feeding America.
Job assistance programs will face significant demands in the upcoming months. Consider supporting them.
Domestic violence has increased as people are spending more time at home. Consider giving to an organization that supports victims of domestic abuse.
I have seen fundraisers to pay for PPE or meals for health care workers for local hospitals. Consider supporting them.
Meals on Wheels for seniors is also getting a lot of calls by people who were not "shut-ins" before. A lot of the local programs are funded minimally by Federal and State money that has been allocated already. Donations go a long way here.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

nguy44

Post by nguy44 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:20 pm

This was factored into my 5+ years of cash expenses, so I am continuing as usual. Will seek specific situations to increase it.
Last edited by nguy44 on Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buhlaxtus

Post by buhlaxtus » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:38 pm

Something about the right hand and the left hand...
Superleaf444 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:20 pm
I still feel like I'm not doing enough
This is the main thing. Do you know any local or national orgs that could make could use of more donations from you? It doesn't matter which if you trust them that way. Food, shelter, medical care, cash are always needed by people in trouble.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:40 pm

Swansea wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:38 pm
I am making my normal monthly contributions per usual, and intend to stay the course.
Same. I try not to react to the market with investments, spending, or charitable giving.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

buhlaxtus

Post by buhlaxtus » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:42 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:40 pm
Swansea wrote:
Same. I try not to react to the market with investments, spending, or charitable giving.
OP did not indicate they were reacting to the "market".

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:45 pm

Superleaf444 wrote:
Heya,

How is everyone that still has stable work giving to charity during this time? I have recurring amounts I give to couple of charities, but I've not increased the amount despite my day-to-day expenses going to an all time low.

I've given to a couple of drives to give money to creatives. Anytime I've ordered from a restaurant I try to tip around 50%. Thing is I still feel like I'm not doing enough and I wanted to see what others are doing. There are just so many fundraisers going on it is very easy to get overwhelmed.

p.s. Sorry if this is a repeat post, I searched and couldn't find anything that asked this question, easily could have overlooked it tho'.
Nothing has changed for us. We continue to donate to our selected charities.

Can you tell us why you are having problems?

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:50 pm

Swansea wrote:
Small local charities like animal rescue groups and animal shelters are really in difficult financial situations because many depend on fundraising events like yard sales, bake sales, etc., that they can't hold because of the isolation rules. Helping them out with larger contributions is not market timing, it is disaster relief.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:56 pm

mouses wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:50 pm
Swansea wrote:
Small local charities like animal rescue groups and animal shelters are really in difficult financial situations because many depend on fundraising events like yard sales, bake sales, etc., that they can't hold because of the isolation rules. Helping them out with larger contributions is not market timing, it is disaster relief.
I suspect those who give regularly give more than those who only give in response to disasters, but the fun thing about giving away your money is you get to give it away however you like.

I've also found I can give MORE at times when the market is doing well. I suspect that is the case for most people. Hopefully the best charities are good at managing their variable income just like the best businesses and families.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

wordsmith11

Post by wordsmith11 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:59 pm

mouses wrote:
Swansea wrote:
+100. Local animal rescues and smaller charities in general really need help TODAY. Being tone deaf in this area is a dark side effect of privilege.

Topic Author
Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:21 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:45 pm
Superleaf444 wrote:
Heya,

Nothing has changed for us. We continue to donate to our selected charities.

Can you tell us why you are having problems?

There are so many people that need help more than usual. Sure, I'm continuing to give to selected charities, but this is unlike anything that I've seen in my lifetime. I've literally seen lines of people trying to get food and keep seeing this.

I will continue to put money away for myself, but this is likely going to turn into something bigger than the great depression at this rate. This is an extraordinary crisis, so it is pretty overwhelming.

And to make things even worse, something like a natural disaster where people come together to help build, people are urged to stay home. So even if people gave hard skills, it is a bit more complicated with this disaster.
Last edited by Superleaf444 on Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:25 pm

Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:56 pm
mouses wrote:
Swansea wrote:
I suspect those who give regularly give more than those who only give in response to disasters, but the fun thing about giving away your money is you get to give it away however you like.

I've also found I can give MORE at times when the market is doing well. I suspect that is the case for most people. Hopefully the best charities are good at managing their variable income just like the best businesses and families.
I serve on the boards of multiple charities. Unlike private companies and foundations, it is common for charities to spend as much as they can on assistance. Donors generally wouldn't look too favorably on a charity that is allocating a significant portion of its budget to reserves vs assistance. So, while some (especially large) charities have an endowment or can afford to build significant reserves, many cannot. Especially smaller, local charities like food pantries whose demand is increasing by 3x, 4x or 5x right now, but donations are not.

Topic Author
Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:54 pm

bluebolt wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:25 pm
mouses wrote:
Swansea wrote:

I serve on the boards of multiple charities. Unlike private companies and foundations, it is common for charities to spend as much as they can on assistance. Donors generally wouldn't look too favorably on a charity that is allocating a significant portion of its budget to reserves vs assistance. So, while some (especially large) charities have an endowment or can afford to build significant reserves, many cannot. Especially smaller, local charities like food pantries whose demand is increasing by 3x, 4x or 5x right now, but donations are not.
These points! And the current charities do not seem to be set up for this sort of epidemic.

I don't react to market timing with my investments, but reacting with my giving is a different idea. Relief is needed immediately and the slow steady course typically doesn't solve sudden catastrophic events.

Also my expenses have been shredded. I'm spending so little compared to what I normally do, so I have extra money, which is saying something because I was already at a 50-60%ish saving rate. It's getting to the point where I can't even support the local places I go to, because so many of them are completely shut down now. Sure I could just hoard it the extra savings, but the enormity of this situation makes that philosophy too greedy for my standards.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:55 pm

Charity and volunteering have been a vital part of my life since I was a small boy.

The need at this time is unprecedented and I am significantly increasing my contributions, especially for Food Banks and Crisis Shelters. Definitely not business as usual.

Looks like we are going to have to refill the DAF much sooner than expected.

WoodSpinner

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:02 am

mouses wrote:
Swansea wrote:

The small animal charities I know of run with very thin savings if any. They constantly have things like a rescued animal who needs expensive vet care. It is the same thing as someone who is poor. Not everyone has a financial cushion to manage. This isn't United Way we're talking about here.

carolc

Post by carolc » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:03 am

I’m giving more. When I get take out, I tip the amount of the food bill. I intend to give my $1200. federal check to a local food bank.

carolc

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:13 am

wordsmith11 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:59 pm
mouses wrote:
Swansea wrote:
+100. Local animal rescues and smaller charities in general really need help TODAY. Being tone deaf in this area is a dark side effect of privilege.
I'm not saying to give or not to give to anything, but browbeating people about their 'privilege' is a real tune out/turn off to me in anyone's argument about pretty much anything. Which goes all the more for charitable giving. To paraphrase White Coat Investor, the fun part about giving away your money is that it's not other people's business.

We likewise do not modulate charity, either level or cause (which we limit to very few to make things less complicated), depending on either the market or current events. We give what we choose to give. It's our largest expense category, though of course we could give away all our money except the minimum necessary for us to subsist and we don't. Everyone could do that, very few do. Although what's the objective argument for any level of charitable giving short of self-destitution, at this time or any other? There isn't one. You simply make a personal decision and that's that.

Our ASPCA donation is also as is for this year, but this is an interesting thing happening here in the NY area: the shelters are running out of dogs, companions for people forced to stay home, often alone. We now especially miss The Best Dog Ever (who passed away in 2018), and our sons' and daughters' dogs, all 'pit bulls' from local shelters, have been a real blessing to them having to spend so much time home alone.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ut-of-dogs

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:13 am

Folks,

Donate money to your local food bank.

1) The need is great during this time.

2) The food bank is getting less supply (expired produces) from the local supermarket since they sold out everything.

KlangFool

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:16 am

^ supply (flow) is down a bit in our area but demand has skyrocketed.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:24 am

I have had a 20% reduction in pay thus far with a threat of lay-offs on the horizon.
Unfortunately this is causing me to hold off on any additional charitable contributions.
Hopefully those that stay employed without a pay-cut and without threat of lay-off due to economic decline are kicking in. And luckily our government has kicked in with stimulus checks and extended unemployment benefits for those that need them.
Sorry - need to focus on feeding the family and keep the house, etc. before I can think about additional charities.

Also - in case you missed it - part of the recent bill was a $300 Charitable deduction for those that claim the Standard Deduction in 2020 (don't need to itemize to get this deduction).

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:28 am

We intend to vastly increase grants from our DAF in response to the pandemic. Feeding America will get a grant, but we're also looking for good charities that are providing medical supplies in areas of need. I'd love a recommendation on that side.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:31 am

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (charity).

I also removed an off-topic comment and quite a number of posts "helping" the moderators determine if that comment fell within the forum guidelines.

Thanks, but the best way to help the moderators is to report the post using the ! in the top-right corner of the post and explain what's wrong. It's more work for us when you post in the thread, as those comments are also removed.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:53 am

mouses wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:02 am
mouses wrote:
Swansea wrote:

The small animal charities I know of run with very thin savings if any. They constantly have things like a rescued animal who needs expensive vet care. It is the same thing as someone who is poor. Not everyone has a financial cushion to manage. This isn't United Way we're talking about here.
So should I stop giving as much as I can when there isn't a disaster in the news, save it all up in a DAF, and then give it in the next disaster then? Because I can't give the same dollar twice. I just assumed charities would prefer getting the money as soon as they can. But if that's not the case I can just hoard it in the DAF. :)

But otherwise, it's hard to give as much (much less even more) with dropping income and dropping assets.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:33 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:24 am

I have had a 20% reduction in pay thus far with a threat of lay-offs on the horizon.
DaftInvestor,

1) I might be laid off in June.

2) I had no job security over the last 10+ years. I was unemployed for more than 1 year a few times. So, this is "business as usual" for me.

3) My policy is to donate a fixed amount of money every quarter to my local food bank whenever I am employed.

KlangFool

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:29 pm

Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:53 am
mouses wrote:
mouses wrote:

So should I stop giving as much as I can when there isn't a disaster in the news, save it all up in a DAF, and then give it in the next disaster then? Because I can't give the same dollar twice. I just assumed charities would prefer getting the money as soon as they can. But if that's not the case I can just hoard it in the DAF. :)

But otherwise, it's hard to give as much (much less even more) with dropping income and dropping assets.
Depends on how you manage your DAF, right? For me, the DAF allows me to batch up multiple years of planned donations into one year. So I do typically have excess money sitting in the DAF if I want to give more than "planned" for a specific cause or issue.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:35 pm

Retired and income is stable.

QCDs for the year are already done.
I bulked up my DAF with two years of giving just before the market declined. (Lucky there.) I have started doing a few COVID19-related donations from the DAF rather than waiting until the end of the year to spend it down.
I expect to get a partial stimulus check. I estimated the amount using the available information and have donated that amount through my former employer's giving platform. They selected some community programs to support and are offering a dollar-for-dollar match, but the window will close before the stimulus checks are likely to go out.

Lots of ways to give, but as usual, due diligence is required. Fidelity Charitable is offering a series of webinars about how to help during the pandemic.

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:40 pm

Here is a list of suggested charities from Fidelity Charitable https://www.fidelitycharitable.org/guid ... virus.html
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:45 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:29 pm
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:53 am
mouses wrote:
mouses wrote:
Small local charities like animal rescue groups and animal shelters are really in difficult financial situations because many depend on fundraising events like yard sales, bake sales, etc., that they can't hold because of the isolation rules.
The small animal charities I know of run with very thin savings if any.
Depends on how you manage your DAF, right? For me, the DAF allows me to batch up multiple years of planned donations into one year. So I do typically have excess money sitting in the DAF if I want to give more than "planned" for a specific cause or issue.
I also have the DAF principally for tax purposes (bunch donations to 'waste' fewer of them tax-wise exceeding the standard deduction amount). However there remains IMO little logic from any given individual's POV to change giving level depending on current events. I know that's counterintuitive for many people, and some even get up on their high horses in opposition to it. But for any non-Bill Gates type charitable giving our giving is a thimble in the ocean. It's important to us to do it or else we wouldn't. But there are needs astronomically in excess of our giving all the time, pandemic or no. It's only 'wrong' of us to have given more before and more later, therefore no additional donations now, if good use couldn't be made of the money before or later, but only now. But actually there always was and always will be good use for it. There is no really logical reason for us to modulate giving according to news headlines. Others can if they want to.

Likewise, predicate to this, there is no logical formula for how much to give over time. Some of the people criticizing those who don't modulate their giving according to headlines might be giving much less on average than the people they are criticizing (or questioning or arguing with, I'm not taking it personally though some earlier posts, not yours, were a bit obnoxious about it IMHO).

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:04 pm

AlwaysaQ wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:01 pm
The CARES act provides that even those who don't itemize on their tax returns can deduct up to $300 in charitable contributions.
CARES Act includes several provisions about charitable contributions.

As cited above, taxpayers who do not otherwise elect to itemize deductions are allowed an above-the-line deduction in 2020 for up to $300 for charitable contributions made in cash (not stock) to any qualifying Section 501(c)(3) public charity, excluding donor-advised funds.

For itemizers, the CARES Act temporarily increases limitations on deductions for charitable contributions made in 2020. For individuals, the 60 percent of adjusted gross income limitation is suspended for 2020 for cash contributions to qualifying organizations, excluding donor-advised funds. For contributions of food inventory, the limitation is increased from 15 percent to 25 percent. Excess contributions may be carried forward to future years based on the existing charitable contribution carryforward rules.

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:12 pm

Superleaf444 wrote:
Thing is I still feel like I'm not doing enough and I wanted to see what others are doing. There are just so many fundraisers going on it is very easy to get overwhelmed.
If you feel like you're not doing enough, you probably aren't. So just give more.

Choose what resonates with you, and send money. Large amounts, small amount: all is OK. Needs are great, and pleas are everywhere. Overwhelm is unproductive and unhappy. None of us can fix all the problems of the world, even in good times.

Today, having over-tipped in the app when ordering, I put $20 cash in an envelope with a gourmet chocolate bar for the Instacart shopper and placed it on the table on the porch.

Whenever it arrives, I'll be giving away my $1200 recovery rebate to local endeavors who really need the money now.

I'm starting to plan for my 69th birthday in a few weeks. I'll be sending $69 to 69 organizations, people, causes.

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:29 pm

Flobes wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:04 pm
AlwaysaQ wrote:
As cited above, taxpayers who do not otherwise elect to itemize deductions are allowed an above-the-line deduction in 2020 for up to $300 for charitable contributions made in cash (not stock) to any qualifying Section 501(c)(3) public charity, excluding donor-advised funds.
Wow, this had not been on my radar at all. I'm quoting AlwaysaQ for mentioning it first and Flobes because I noticed their post. Thank you!

I'm a "lumpy" giver. Perhaps I should give more on a regular basis, but I've done things like contribute $1500 to the local symphony orchestra (not a princely sum, but a lot for me) in 2009 and contribute about the same amount to a church in 2013 for a project that needed to be done, the latter on the condition that the people who benefited from the project not be told that I was the donor.

I am seriously considering which organization(s) might receive donations from me this year, but one thing I don't want is to become a target for fundraisers.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:28 pm

MandyT wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:29 pm
Flobes wrote:
AlwaysaQ wrote:
Wow, this had not been on my radar at all. I'm quoting AlwaysaQ for mentioning it first and Flobes because I noticed their post. Thank you!

I'm a "lumpy" giver. Perhaps I should give more on a regular basis, but I've done things like contribute $1500 to the local symphony orchestra (not a princely sum, but a lot for me) in 2009 and contribute about the same amount to a church in 2013 for a project that needed to be done, the latter on the condition that the people who benefited from the project not be told that I was the donor.

I am seriously considering which organization(s) might receive donations from me this year, but one thing I don't want is to become a target for fundraisers.
You might consider using a Donor Advised Fund (DAF) since it’s can provide the anonymity you are looking for and still allow donations.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:45 pm

WoodSpinner wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:28 pm
You might consider using a Donor Advised Fund (DAF) since it’s can provide the anonymity you are looking for and still allow donations.
This is a real advantage of DAFs. I live in a smallish town and anonymous donating is the only way to keep off the whisper lists, avoid the invites to charity events and stay out of the paper with those silly pictures of someone handing the charity a giant check.

celia

Post by celia » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:22 am

Superleaf444 wrote:
There are just so many fundraisers going on it is very easy to get overwhelmed.
Where are you seeing "fundraisers"? Are you staying at home and they knock on your door or you see them online? We haven't seen any!

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:18 am

MandyT wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:29 pm
Flobes wrote:
AlwaysaQ wrote:

I keep track each year of how much I give to each organization, so I can make sure I give at least as much as the year before. Perhaps because I give to small, local organizations, I do not get fundraising appeals directly. One of the animal shelters sends out a monthly newsletter, so I suppose that's fundraising of a sort but it's mostly an update on what's going on. There are appeals for specific help on their facebook pages.

When early on I donated to large national charities, the direct requests for money were really harassing. Given that also a lot of those big organizations pay really major money to their executives as salaries, I decided no more contributions from me. The local groups rarely have any paid staff, mostly all volunteers.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:54 am

I would agree.

Most of my charitable giving is to charities that assist the elderly poor, especially those serving rural areas. Those needs do not go away when times are good or bad.

I prefer national charities like the Salvation Army and the Little Sisters of the Poor as they tend to be more accountable with the funds.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:56 am

JackoC wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:45 pm

I also have the DAF principally for tax purposes (bunch donations to 'waste' fewer of them tax-wise exceeding the standard deduction amount). However there remains IMO little logic from any given individual's POV to change giving level depending on current events. I know that's counterintuitive for many people, and some even get up on their high horses in opposition to it. But for any non-Bill Gates type charitable giving our giving is a thimble in the ocean. It's important to us to do it or else we wouldn't. But there are needs astronomically in excess of our giving all the time, pandemic or no. It's only 'wrong' of us to have given more before and more later, therefore no additional donations now, if good use couldn't be made of the money before or later, but only now. But actually there always was and always will be good use for it. There is no really logical reason for us to modulate giving according to news headlines. Others can if they want to.

Likewise, predicate to this, there is no logical formula for how much to give over time. Some of the people criticizing those who don't modulate their giving according to headlines might be giving much less on average than the people they are criticizing (or questioning or arguing with, I'm not taking it personally though some earlier posts, not yours, were a bit obnoxious about it IMHO).
+1. It's hard for me to get behind the "charity is more important than ever" train of thought. There are hundreds of millions of people living in extreme poverty on a daily basis, with poor access to the basic resources most of us take for granted, crisis or not.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:35 am

We usually donate to education and in support of military families and law enforcement. The Pandemic has caused us to add a focus on our local food bank.

megabad

Post by megabad » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:36 am

Flobes wrote:

For itemizers, the CARES Act temporarily increases limitations on deductions for charitable contributions made in 2020. For individuals, the 60 percent of adjusted gross income limitation is suspended for 2020 for cash contributions to qualifying organizations, excluding donor-advised funds. For contributions of food inventory, the limitation is increased from 15 percent to 25 percent. Excess contributions may be carried forward to future years based on the existing charitable contribution carryforward rules.
Thanks for posting. Just wanted to emphasize this. For large donors, a DAF may be much less attractive this year for this reason (compared to direct donation). Just something to think about.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:48 am

Bfwolf wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:56 am
JackoC wrote:

+1. It's hard for me to get behind the "charity is more important than ever" train of thought. There are hundreds of millions of people living in extreme poverty on a daily basis, with poor access to the basic resources most of us take for granted, crisis or not.
I don't disagree. But at the same time, there are definitely NOT always crushing needs for medical supplies (just one example). So while there is always "need" there is not always "absurd need for a specific things".

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:52 am

Bfwolf wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:56 am
JackoC wrote:

I also think there are a lot of people who give their charity dollars to "pet" organizations, rather than focusing on areas of extreme need at home or around the world. I'll pick on myself here...much of my charitable contributions (outside of religious ones) go to organizations like Trout Unlimited and Backcountry Hunters & Anglers. The work these organizations do is important to me, but it certainly isn't saving people from hunger or disease. So yes, I give more when there is a time of crisis. I don't apologize for how I do it, just pointing out that a fair amount of charity isn't really to help the poor and needy.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:00 am

buhlaxtus wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:38 pm
Something about the right hand and the left hand...
Superleaf444 wrote:
I still feel like I'm not doing enough
This is the main thing. Do you know any local or national orgs that could make could use of more donations from you? It doesn't matter which if you trust them that way. Food, shelter, medical care, cash are always needed by people in trouble.
If you are young enough and healthy enough, consider giving your time. Food banks and other services are losing volunteers while seeing increased demand.