No sports but cable bills unchanged

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
atikovi

Re: No sports but cable bills unchanged

Post by atikovi »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:58 am I think a Talmudic scholar can figure out which channels and under which circumstances commercials are automatically removed, when you can fast forward (some allow it before a commercial starts, some allow it any time, some don’t allow it ever, some differentiate between recorded shows and video on demand, and some remove commercials after some unspecified time).
I have Verizon Fios and have no idea what Talmudic is. I would love to zoom past commercials when watching TV but unless you know the secret of time travel, that's not happening.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

adjective. of or relating to the Talmud. characterized by or making extremely fine distinctions; overly detailed or subtle; hairsplitting.
When I still had cable (Fios) I recorded everything to avoid commercials. Hulu is a bit less convenient, but it allows you to watch recent TV mostly without commercials.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

You happen to dislike what's on sports networks at this time. How does this have anything to do with cable companies?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:58 am
atikovi wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:16 am
Jags4186 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:05 am
atikovi wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:52 am It's not what it costs Verizon that matters, it what it costs YOU.
Correct, but my point is that Verizon could charge you $65 for internet, $65 for phone and $10 for TV or $120 for TV, $10 for internet, and $10 for phone and $120 for TV.
I don't have the bill in front of me but I think it's something like $55 internet, $35 TV, $20 two phone lines and the rest is taxes and fees. The only thing I hate is the TV commercials. I thought the prime benefit of paid cable TV when it came out 40 or 50 years ago was no commercials. What the hell happened to that? The fee you pay is supposed to eliminate the need for ads.
FWIW, even the highest tier Hulu has some commercials on some channels.
I don't recall ever seeing a commercial on Hulu, but I guess it depends on the type of content you are watching.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:31 am
adjective. of or relating to the Talmud. characterized by or making extremely fine distinctions; overly detailed or subtle; hairsplitting.
When I still had cable (Fios) I recorded everything to avoid commercials. Hulu is a bit less convenient, but it allows you to watch recent TV mostly without commercials.
Oh sure, record and play back later so you can zip through the commercials. Did that many years ago with a VCR then a DVR when I had more time to watch programs and before I got internet. Now I probably wouldn't have the time to watch the recorded stuff before watching the live programs. No point in recording the evening news and watching 3 days later.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

atikovi wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:47 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:31 am
Oh sure, record and play back later so you can zip through the commercials. Did that many years ago with a VCR then a DVR when I had more time to watch programs and before I got internet. Now I probably wouldn't have the time to watch the recorded stuff before watching the live programs. No point in recording the evening news and watching 3 days later.
You can just offset viewing by something like 20 minutes per hour of show. So, set the evening news hour to record and start watching 20 minutes into it. Obviously not much point in watching 3 days later.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:46 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:58 am
atikovi wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:16 am
Jags4186 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:05 am
atikovi wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:52 am It's not what it costs Verizon that matters, it what it costs YOU.
Correct, but my point is that Verizon could charge you $65 for internet, $65 for phone and $10 for TV or $120 for TV, $10 for internet, and $10 for phone and $120 for TV.
I don't have the bill in front of me but I think it's something like $55 internet, $35 TV, $20 two phone lines and the rest is taxes and fees. The only thing I hate is the TV commercials. I thought the prime benefit of paid cable TV when it came out 40 or 50 years ago was no commercials. What the hell happened to that? The fee you pay is supposed to eliminate the need for ads.
FWIW, even the highest tier Hulu has some commercials on some channels.
I don't recall ever seeing a commercial on Hulu, but I guess it depends on the type of content you are watching.
I was referring to Hulu Live (not their original shows), which has various options to avoid commercials.
camper

Post by camper »

Canceled Directv today. Finally had enough of paying that bill.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

02nz wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:56 am Exactly, cut the cord. I pay $30/mo for Sling, $20/mo for internet. If you’re paying $200/mo for internet and cable/satellite like many people do you’re letting yourself get robbed, even aside from suspension of sports.
We will soon have a third provider where I live, but I have to tell you, about $50/mo for internet alone (at the slowest speed available) is the lowest I see. $20 is exceptional.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:29 am
02nz wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:56 am Exactly, cut the cord. I pay $30/mo for Sling, $20/mo for internet. If you’re paying $200/mo for internet and cable/satellite like many people do you’re letting yourself get robbed, even aside from suspension of sports.
We will soon have a third provider where I live, but I have to tell you, about $50/mo for internet alone (at the slowest speed available) is the lowest I see. $20 is exceptional.
The cost would be at least $65/mo where I am, but by signing up every 12 months as a new customer I get the promo pricing instead. Most people either don’t know or can’t be bothered to put in the hour or so this takes. So they get fleeced.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

I cut the cable TV cord years ago and I am very glad that I did. If the cable company offered me cable TV now for free I would turn it down, too much junk and too many commercials.
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

RootSki wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:43 am Would you prefer the cable companies drop ESPN and other sports channels for the duration of the pandemic?
Yes.
Dougiefresh

Post by Dougiefresh »

I subscribe to Spectrum cable and have a tiered package which included many sports channels (in my case they call it Digi Tier 2). I switched out the sports channels for HBO. It was about the same price and now I am enjoying series like Barry. Can't get enough of him!
funnyguitar

Post by funnyguitar »

@02nz - How are you paying $20 for internet? What plan is this?
cashmoney

Post by cashmoney »

Just sayin... wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:16 am We cut the cable 3+ years ago because we didn’t want to pay for things we never watched:

- Sports
- Al Jazeera
- Oxygen, HSN, Lifetime
- Cartoons
- Bad streaming music
- Fake News
- VH1/MTV
- “Reality” shows
- Mexican language programming that we can’t understand
- ...and many others

Instead, like many others, we just pay for what we want on an a la carte basis - and have been VERY happy while saving $$$.

Fake news? Really
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

02nz wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:30 am
The cost would be at least $65/mo where I am, but by signing up every 12 months as a new customer I get the promo pricing instead. Most people either don’t know or can’t be bothered to put in the hour or so this takes. So they get fleeced.
With the new service new customers pay $100 for installation. I don't believe promo pricing will work with many providers, at least not any more, without actually alternating between providers annually. Basically I think the majority of providers have figured this out and made adjustments to prevent people from repeatedly getting excessively generous new-customer pricing. I believe it would take more than an hour on the phone for most of us to reduce our rate to a new customer rate. For example some new customer rates are for one year, but require a two-year contract, with the second year at a much higher price. And the cancellation penalty is basically the same as the second year of service.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:39 pm
With the new service new customers pay $100 for installation. I don't believe promo pricing will work with many providers, at least not any more, without actually alternating between providers annually. Basically I think the majority of providers have figured this out and made adjustments to prevent people from repeatedly getting excessively generous new-customer pricing. I believe it would take more than an hour on the phone for most of us to reduce our rate to a new customer rate. For example some new customer rates are for one year, but require a two-year contract, with the second year at a much higher price. And the cancellation penalty is basically the same as the second year of service.
Everything varies by location and provider. I've signed up as a new customer pretty much every year for the past 10+ years, in 3 different locations with 3 different ISPs. It's easier if you have another person in the household and if you have a choice of ISPs, but I've done it even as a single person and with the same ISP.

With my current provider the new customer activation fee is $75 (the other two ISPs did not charge such a fee), but I would easily make that up within 2 months. With the most recent switch I was able to take advantage of a COVID-19 offer that even waived this fee.

One trick: when shopping for the replacement service, don't use your home internet. The ISP can detect that it's you, and won't show the new customer pricing. Do it on your cell phone (disconnect wifi first) to see new customer pricing.

BTW there's nothing "excessively generous" about the new customer pricing. Even that pricing is about the same or more than in most other developed countries, and for a much slower connection. No politics allowed here so I won't go into why that is.

If you don't believe me or don't want to put in the work, that's fine. But I've absolutely done this for many years without issue, it works and has easily saved me thousands of dollars.
Last edited by 02nz on Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

funnyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:24 pm
@02nz - How are you paying $20 for internet? What plan is this?
See my other posts in this thread. The $20 offer is Cox in CA, but many ISPs have lowered pricing - again, for new customers only - for COVID-19.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

I really want to try cutting the cord... but every time I run the numbers it just doesn't seem to save enough to be worth the hassle.

Things is though luck and employer discounts we have a cable package that while pricey in absolute dollars has some very deep discounts. I'm paying only $35 for true gigabit (1G up/1G down) fiber internet. Another $25 for landline phone that we could probably live without but dropping may break contract and kill our other discounts (plus I like having it for emergencies and to avoid giving my cellphone number out to creditors).

That leaves about $110 for the TV piece with includes VZ top tier channel package, router, 3 set boxes and the most generous DVR option (6 streams and 100hr of HD storage).

Now I compare to streaming. If I break my TV contract, VZ will bump my internet cost from $35 to $80.. so I'm 45 in the hole to start. Add a few streaming services will eat the difference quickly.. and the killer is that while we don't watch a ton of premium movie channels or sports my wife does like to be able to just channel flip "live" TV occasionally and watch the morning news programs, HGTV and we watch NESN for Boston sports. So that means we would probably want something like Hulu Live or YouTube TV.

So there you go.. $45 increase in internet cost + $50 for YouTube TV plus a couple streaming services and you are at $100-120. The only way I see to make it cost competitive is if we went to antenna plus just a couple basic a la carte stream services.

Add to it, with all the increased bandwidth being used during this lockdown I am already seeing occasional hiccups and picture degradation in Netflix/Amazon streams... while the VZ traditional TV feed has been completely unaffected.

:confused
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

camper wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:08 am Canceled Directv today. Finally had enough of paying that bill.
Be sure to return your equipment and get a receipt. I cancelled a few months back and was told to take it to local UPS store and they would box it, return it and supply a receipt (which they did). Like most companies these days, if you're due a credit, it will come via debit card.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

02nz wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:55 pm
tibbitts wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:39 pm
Everything varies by location and provider. I've signed up as a new customer pretty much every year for the past 10+ years, in 3 different locations with 3 different ISPs. It's easier if you have another person in the household and if you have a choice of ISPs, but I've done it even as a single person and with the same ISP.

With my current provider the new customer activation fee is $75 (the other two ISPs did not charge such a fee), but I would easily make that up within 2 months. With the most recent switch I was able to take advantage of a COVID-19 offer that even waived this fee.

One trick: when shopping for the replacement service, don't use your home internet. The ISP can detect that it's you, and won't show the new customer pricing. Do it on your cell phone (disconnect wifi first) to see new customer pricing.

BTW there's nothing "excessively generous" about the new customer pricing. Even that pricing is about the same or more than in most other developed countries, and for a much slower connection. No politics allowed here so I won't go into why that is.

If you don't believe me or don't want to put in the work, that's fine. But I've absolutely done this for many years without issue, it works and has easily saved me thousands of dollars.
I don't doubt you, but you are saying you do this entirely online, using the same address and name as you have used previously - just from an off-network IP? And then you cancel your existing service? So the cable company is providing service to two identical customers according to its data, at the same time? And when you then cancel the other service, also online, the cable company doesn't end up terminating your service?

The pricing is "excessively generous" compared to existing customer pricing; I don't see how you can dispute that. Pricing in other developed countries isn't relevant - it's like saying that you can buy a drug for much less in another country. That may be true but won't help you in this country.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:23 pm I don't doubt you, but you are saying you do this entirely online, using the same address and name as you have used previously - just from an off-network IP? And then you cancel your existing service? So the cable company is providing service to two identical customers according to its data, at the same time? And when you then cancel the other service, also online, the cable company doesn't end up terminating your service?
This is easier if the "new customer" is a different person in the household, but I've also signed up myself after an interruption of as little as a couple of days (and I used my phone as a hotspot in the meantime - not ideal but perfectly acceptable to save ~$500/year). Most of the time at least one phone call is required, to terminate the service. The new service can be set up for the same day or a day later, it doesn't really matter, with most ISPs you just call in (or plug in modem and open web browser) to activate service.
Last edited by 02nz on Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:42 am You happen to dislike what's on sports networks at this time. How does this have anything to do with cable companies?
I don't have cable (discontinued it 10yr ago because I don't watch sports and don't want to pay for them).

Anyway, this is why it has to do with cable companies:

"If we look at sports networks available in more than 50% of cable and satellite TV homes, $9.06 of each monthly bill goes to ESPN's top four networks (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network), whether the customer watches those networks or not,"

https://www.businessinsider.com/cable-s ... rks-2017-3

This is from 2017, it may be more now.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

True that they gouge with sports packages, but you still get the channels, so you still pay. They are broadcasting.

Tim
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

02nz wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:35 pm
tibbitts wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:23 pm I don't doubt you, but you are saying you do this entirely online, using the same address and name as you have used previously - just from an off-network IP? And then you cancel your existing service? So the cable company is providing service to two identical customers according to its data, at the same time? And when you then cancel the other service, also online, the cable company doesn't end up terminating your service?
This is easier if the "new customer" is a different person in the household, but I've also signed up myself after an interruption of as little as a couple of days (and I used my phone as a hotspot in the meantime - not ideal but perfectly acceptable to save ~$500/year). Most of the time at least one phone call is required, to terminate the service. The new service can be set up for the same day or a day later, it doesn't really matter, with most ISPs you just call in (or plug in modem and open web browser) to activate service.
So in my case, my wife could be the new customer. She even has a different last name!

I will call Comcast to give them the benefit of the doubt in letting me severely downgrade to Internet-only, but if they say it's not possible then I will just nuke them and then sign up again under wife's name. I do see the new customer pricing if I go to Comcast's website and put in an address (I use a house on a neighboring street just to evade detection haha) and click on "I am moving here and want to establish service"...then it shows me the options for $40 for 100mbps internet, $50 for 200mbps, etc.

I have 120mbps now and it seems fine for what I need. Should I just start with the 100mbps and save 10 bucks a month vs going with the 200mbps? The "man" in me always wants faster within reason....but when I frame it in terms of $120 per year then I start to question the need
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Hogan773 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:22 pm So in my case, my wife could be the new customer. She even has a different last name!

I will call Comcast to give them the benefit of the doubt in letting me severely downgrade to Internet-only, but if they say it's not possible then I will just nuke them and then sign up again under wife's name. I do see the new customer pricing if I go to Comcast's website and put in an address (I use a house on a neighboring street just to evade detection haha) and click on "I am moving here and want to establish service"...then it shows me the options for $40 for 100mbps internet, $50 for 200mbps, etc.

I have 120mbps now and it seems fine for what I need. Should I just start with the 100mbps and save 10 bucks a month vs going with the 200mbps? The "man" in me always wants faster within reason....but when I frame it in terms of $120 per year then I start to question the need
Most people way overestimate how much internet bandwidth they need, spurred by misinformation from the ISPs. We had 30 mbps before (now 50, free upgrade) and that was enough to stream a 4K movie, or 5 simultaneous streams of full HD Netflix. In most cases when people complain about their internet, the real problem is the wi-fi.

Good luck with getting your "customer disloyalty discount" (as one poster called it in another thread)!
rich126

Post by rich126 »

02nz wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:39 pm
Hogan773 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:22 pm So in my case, my wife could be the new customer. She even has a different last name!

Most people way overestimate how much internet bandwidth they need, spurred by misinformation from the ISPs. We had 30 mbps before (now 50, free upgrade) and that was enough to stream a 4K movie, or 5 simultaneous streams of full HD Netflix. In most cases when people complain about their internet, the real problem is the wi-fi.

Good luck with getting your "customer disloyalty discount" (as one poster called it in another thread)!
I bring that up frequently, especially when I see someone paying for 1 Gb/s. And mine was also recently upgraded from 30 to 50 Mb/s for free.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Hogan773 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:22 pm
02nz wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:35 pm
So in my case, my wife could be the new customer. She even has a different last name!

I can sort of see this working if there are two people in the household, but what do you do if there is only one? Manufacture the second person? That seems to be a bit of a reach. Two people I can see since one person could be financially separate (renting a room for example.)
IHateCasinos

Post by IHateCasinos »

you have "accidently" become enlightened to how much you overpay, so: Cut the cord. NOW!
For internet service, cancel your existing and sign-up as new customer using Other Half's SSN. get the 1yr introductory rate.
repeat annually.
25mb is fine for 1 or even 2 simultaneous netflix streams. no-one regular needs or uses >50mb. its marketing bs. "ie you get it but you dont ever actually use it)

Edit: you dont need a second SSN. Ya dont even really need an ID. hence no 2nd human is actually required. if they cant credit check you since that person have no SSN, then its just a $50 deposit. refundable.

:sharebeer
Last edited by IHateCasinos on Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

Cut the cord. Sure it might be a tiny hassle, but it's so worth it.

$30/month for SlingTV with DVR. $60/month for high speed internet. $110/month saved.
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

02nz wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:39 pm

Thanks

My new TCL TV tells me it is getting a speed of 50mbps or so from my router and it loads stuff up very quickly. At the PC the speed is 120mbps wired ethernet from the R7000 router. I will try the 100mbps. I think the lowest tier is 25mbps and that seems a bit to "economy" for me. I have 3 kids and one could be playing Xbox, one on their school Chromebook, and one watching a YouTube video on his phone and maybe my wife is then trying to watch TV. I don't know what happens when you get 3 or 4 or 5 units all pulling at the same time, but I'd think I want at least 100mbps to divide up
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

cashmoney wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:35 pm
Just sayin... wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:16 am We cut the cable 3+ years ago because we didn’t want to pay for things we never watched:

- Sports
- Al Jazeera
- Oxygen, HSN, Lifetime
- Cartoons
- Bad streaming music
- Fake News
- VH1/MTV
- “Reality” shows
- ...and many others

Instead, like many others, we just pay for what we want on an a la carte basis - and have been VERY happy while saving $$$.

Fake news? Really
And "Mexican" language programming, don't forget. He doesn't like that, either.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Alan S. wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 am The following article explains the situation regarding cable fees for sports programming, and a pending battle for refunds or relief.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/01/coronav ... funds.html

At least 1/3 of a typical cable or satellite bill relates to sports, so if you pay 120/month, right now you are wasting 40 a month.

HIgh paid athletes, sports teams, and sports networks are still being paid as if nothing has happened. Sports disappeared about a month ago with several more months to come. While this will probably accelerate the death of the cable subscription model, it seems ridiculous that currently everyone in the chain is getting paid while the subscriber is getting nothing for the portion of their bill allocated to sports.

Time to put pressure on the cable companies? Complain to FCC? Any other ideas?
this article reminded me of this thread.

NBA players could refund millions to owners, sources say

I found this comment peculiar

The repayments will 'hit hardest' for players who receive their paychecks on a six-month cycle...

....considering how much an NBA player makes....the lowest about $200k. Most make well over that amount.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

From Patrick Ewing: "NBA players make a lot of money. But they spend a lot of money, too."
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

BuckyBadger wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:03 pm
cashmoney wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:35 pm

- Sports
- Al Jazeera
- Oxygen, HSN, Lifetime
- Cartoons
- Bad streaming music
- Fake News
- VH1/MTV
- “Reality” shows
- ...and many others

Fake news? Really
And "Mexican" language programming, don't forget. He doesn't like that, either.
The exaggerated nature of the 24 hours news cycle typified by cable news was the subject of critical discussion long before the term "fake news" became overused.

Also, about that "Mexican language programming"...I don't know...describing it that way could be taken the wrong way, and I'm hardly fluent enough in Spanish to really have a clear opinion, but I get the sense that Telemundo and Univision have a distinction that goes beyond just being Spanish language channels. The comment makes me think also of the joking (although also at times mocking) distinction between speaking English and "speakin 'Merican."
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

iamlucky13 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:12 am
Also, about that "Mexican language programming"...I don't know...describing it that way could be taken the wrong way, and I'm hardly fluent enough in Spanish to really have a clear opinion, but I get the sense that Telemundo and Univision have a distinction that goes beyond just being Spanish language channels. The comment makes me think also of the joking (although also at times mocking) distinction between speaking English and "speakin 'Merican."
Many of the shows on those networks are purposely broadcast using a type of standard Spanish that anyone in the Spanish speaking world can understand as they are not limited to being broadcast in Mexico and the border areas of the US.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
Laundry_Service

Post by Laundry_Service »

From media blog site FTVlive.com

With the sports world shut down, ESPN is finding it a tough go and now they are asking some of their top talent to take a 15% reduction in pay over the next three months.

Since the talent have contracts, ESPN can not force them to give back their salary, but they can ask them and that is what they are doing.

“We are asking about 100 of our commentators to join with our executives and take a temporary salary reduction,” ESPN says in a statement sent to Inside Radio. “These are challenging times and we are all in this together.”

Last month, ESPN parent company Disney ordered reduced pay for ESPN executives, with base salaries cut 20% to 30%.

Those reductions are expected to end once things return to normal, whenever that may be.