No sports but cable bills unchanged

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Alan S.

No sports but cable bills unchanged

Post by Alan S. »

The following article explains the situation regarding cable fees for sports programming, and a pending battle for refunds or relief.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/01/coronav ... funds.html

At least 1/3 of a typical cable or satellite bill relates to sports, so if you pay 120/month, right now you are wasting 40 a month.

HIgh paid athletes, sports teams, and sports networks are still being paid as if nothing has happened. Sports disappeared about a month ago with several more months to come. While this will probably accelerate the death of the cable subscription model, it seems ridiculous that currently everyone in the chain is getting paid while the subscriber is getting nothing for the portion of their bill allocated to sports.

Time to put pressure on the cable companies? Complain to FCC? Any other ideas?
RootSki

Re: No sports but cable bills unchanged

Post by RootSki »

Would you prefer the cable companies drop ESPN and other sports channels for the duration of the pandemic?
The Broz

Post by The Broz »

Well -- you are still getting content, you just do not like the content. IMO - this is different than the discussion of whether or not to pay monthly dues to a gym that is closed. You can still watch all the channels that you were able to watch before, it is just that the content is different. I would say that you can cancel the cable, but you would probably incur a hefty fee because cable companies are jerks like that.
Press on with a complaint to the FCC if you want, but I would not hold one's breath. I suspect that your contract doesn't allow you out of the deal for reasons such as this.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Cut the cord.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Exactly, cut the cord. I pay $30/mo for Sling, $20/mo for internet. If you’re paying $200/mo for internet and cable/satellite like many people do you’re letting yourself get robbed, even aside from suspension of sports.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

RootSki wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:43 am Would you prefer the cable companies drop ESPN and other sports channels for the duration of the pandemic?
They can cut them forever as far as I’m concerned. Except for tennis (available ala carte when it comes back), you can have them. I’ve cut the cord, and I’m happier now.

ETA: I haven’t checked to see if I’m paying the same, less, or more with my choices. Saving money wasn’t the motivation. More choice and fewer FF to avoid commercials was.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Yea I for the life of me can’t understand why someone would pay for cable anymore with all of the streaming options available.

When NFL season comes aroundI sign up for the Sling sports package for an extra $10/mo to get NFL Redzone and then promptly cancel at the conclusion of the season.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I cut the cord nine years ago when I realized how much the sports we don’t watch was costing us. Even back then, it was cheaper to buy the shows we watch ala carte. Since then, streaming offerings have gotten much better, and cable has become much more expensive.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

Alan S. wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 am The following article explains the situation regarding cable fees for sports programming, and a pending battle for refunds or relief.

At least 1/3 of a typical cable or satellite bill relates to sports, so if you pay 120/month, right now you are wasting 40 a month.

HIgh paid athletes, sports teams, and sports networks are still being paid as if nothing has happened. Sports disappeared about a month ago with several more months to come. While this will probably accelerate the death of the cable subscription model, it seems ridiculous that currently everyone in the chain is getting paid while the subscriber is getting nothing for the portion of their bill allocated to sports.

They’ve signed long term contracts. Why would prices change?

As many have said cut the cord (if you yourself are not on. Contract that is). Best thing I ever did was drop cable and picked up streaming.
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

We cut the cable 3+ years ago because we didn’t want to pay for things we never watched:

- Sports
- Al Jazeera
- Oxygen, HSN, Lifetime
- Cartoons
- Bad streaming music
- Fake News
- VH1/MTV
- “Reality” shows
- Mexican language programming that we can’t understand
- ...and many others

Instead, like many others, we just pay for what we want on an a la carte basis - and have been VERY happy while saving $$$.
Laundry_Service

Post by Laundry_Service »

If you think ESPN has the exact same revenue as before I think you're mistaken. You think their advertising revenue hasn't taken a massive hit? The carriage deals are also on a long term contract. I think it's a bit unreasonable to expect the rate of your cable package to be reduced on the fly due to a short term break in sports programming. If you feel like you're paying too much you can always cancel.

My family uses and is fairly happy with YoutubeTV however I think there was a recently a negotiation breakdown with the regional Fox Sports networks, not that it matters a lot at this point. I believe YTTV is around 50 bucks a month with a few dollars added on for fees.
westie

Post by westie »

still plenty of sports on air, problem is some of it is years old. No thanks. Not looking to replace cable myself but I must say I was impressed with Youtube TV for $50 a month at my son's house.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

Jags4186 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:02 am Yea I for the life of me can’t understand why someone would pay for cable anymore with all of the streaming options available.

When NFL season comes aroundI sign up for the Sling sports package for an extra $10/mo to get NFL Redzone and then promptly cancel at the conclusion of the season.
We have DirecTV because of NFL Sunday Ticket. Wife and I are both fans of out-of-market teams so that's the only reliable way to watch our teams. I know there are bootleg streams available online but we aren't interested in doing that.

Apparently the current Sunday Ticket contract expires after the '22 season. I imagine the NFL will want to open up the market at that point to various partners.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I don't watch sports on tv so I have been paying for something I don't use for decades. I got rid of cable 2 years ago but the streaming services still have sports in the packages. I probably watch 15 channels out of the gazillion I had on cable/satellite and 80 I have on streaming. That's just the way it works.

Post by 123 »

Alan S. wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 am ...Time to put pressure on the cable companies? Complain to FCC? Any other ideas?
If your pay TV service includes sports channels that are not providing the desired value to you change your service to eliminate them. It's like voting, every voter/consumer counts. If you cut the cord find an alternative service that doesn't include sports channels. There really is a simple direct solution you can implement. Some people complain without taking action, what good does that do?
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Alan S. wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 am

That may not be the case - I read somewhere that if the NBA season does not resume, players salaries will be docked roughly 1% for each game missed. Missed games = missed TV money = salary cuts. As an example, most colleges that play basketball in March madness get megabucks for broadcast rites from the NCAA through their respective conferences. Not this year. Same with most other sports.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Jags4186 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:02 am Yea I for the life of me can’t understand why someone would pay for cable anymore with all of the streaming options available.

We can't watch our local baseball (Nationals) without cable to get MASN. Mlb.tv doesn't carry local teams and MASN is not available on any streaming platform. That's what's stopping us from going to Fios+YouTubeTV
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

123 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:39 pm
Alan S. wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 am ...Time to put pressure on the cable companies? Complain to FCC? Any other ideas?
If your pay TV service includes sports channels that are not providing the desired value to you change your service to eliminate them. It's like voting, every voter/consumer counts. If you cut the cord find an alternative service that doesn't include sports channels. There really is a simple direct solution you can implement. Some people complain without taking action, what good does that do?
What cable package doesn't have ESPN? My base YouTube TV has ESPN, Fox Sports 1 & 2, Big Ten Network, Golf Channel, CBS Sports Network, MLB Network, NBCSN, SEC Network and NBA TV.

Post by 123 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:48 pm
123 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:39 pm
What cable package doesn't have ESPN? My base YouTube TV has ESPN, Fox Sports 1 & 2, Big Ten Network, Golf Channel, CBS Sports Network, MLB Network, NBCSN, SEC Network and NBA TV.
Most cable operators have a basic package that includes primarily local broadcast signals. Many areas have a Locast.org service that is very inexpensive.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

dukeblue219 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:46 pm

We can't watch our local baseball (Nationals) without cable to get MASN. Mlb.tv doesn't carry local teams and MASN is not available on any streaming platform. That's what's stopping us from going to Fios+YouTubeTV
Yea, I felt that way for a while too with the Yankees. But the reality is I'm not watching 162 Yankee games and I'll catch the ones on regular TV/ESPN and deal with missing the ones on YES Network. I know not everyone feels this way with baseball, but I don't think my marriage could survive 162 games a year.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Cut it 5 years ago.
Youtube premium
Suffices for me.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I am pleased to have switched to streaming. Never watched sports but paid for it though cable for years.

I could never figure out the attraction. As far as I am concerned no sports is good sports.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

my dad and I said the same thing, we pay all these surcharges and increases in cable for sports, but now none are playing so they should cut the bill until sports are back, greedy monopolies so highly unlikely
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

I have Sling for ESPN and TNT. Discontinued it with no issue. Plan to sign back up when sports are back.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Thegame14 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:00 pm my dad and I said the same thing, we pay all these surcharges and increases in cable for sports, but now none are playing so they should cut the bill until sports are back, greedy monopolies so highly unlikely
Cancel it. There are streaming options for sports.
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

Just sayin... wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:16 am We cut the cable 3+ years ago because we didn’t want to pay for things we never watched:

- Sports
- Al Jazeera
- Oxygen, HSN, Lifetime
- Cartoons
- Bad streaming music
- Fake News
- VH1/MTV
- “Reality” shows
- Mexican language programming that we can’t understand
- ...and many others

Instead, like many others, we just pay for what we want on an a la carte basis - and have been VERY happy while saving $$$.
Al Jazeera was good stuff. BBC with a Middle East focus.
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

My FIL gets MASN to watch all Orioles and Nats games. At 91 he is internet illiterate and this is easy for him. Until this thread I hadn't thought about it, but we are being screwed.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Alan S. wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 am The following article explains the situation regarding cable fees for sports programming, and a pending battle for refunds or relief.

Yes, you should cut the cord - without any delay.
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

Alan S. wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 am While this will probably accelerate the death of the cable subscription model, it seems ridiculous that currently everyone in the chain is getting paid while the subscriber is getting nothing for the portion of their bill allocated to sports.

It is ridiculous, but I doubt most people will notice.

Are you locked into a contract? If not, I think the most effective course of action would be to cancel your service - either permanently or temporarily.
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

Cut the cord and try a streaming service for over half the cost. When sports come back and you miss the cord, call them back. You will more than likely get it way cheaper when you call them back. Cord company's treat loyal customers like dirt.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

After my contract lock expired, they tried to sweet talk me into staying. They “hid” the internet only-option pretty effectively, and made it so you couldn’t order it by telephone but had to use the phone to cancel the old plan. I returned the equipment, and wish I didn’t have all the silly coax cable in the house (although, for rooms without Ethernet pulls, I could use them for Multimedia over coax (MoCA)).
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Alan S. wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 am At least 1/3 of a typical cable or satellite bill relates to sports, so if you pay 120/month, right now you are wasting 40 a month.
Wrong. My Verizon bill is $125 a month and includes TV, internet, and two phone lines. So maybe a third relates to just TV and maybe 10% of TV relates to sports. The most you're wasting is $4 a month.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

atikovi wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:38 am
Alan S. wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 am At least 1/3 of a typical cable or satellite bill relates to sports, so if you pay 120/month, right now you are wasting 40 a month.
Wrong. My Verizon bill is $125 a month and includes TV, internet, and two phone lines. So maybe a third relates to just TV and maybe 10% of TV relates to sports. The most you're wasting is $4 a month.
It’s hard to make a direct comparison with a “bundled” service. For example, if you cancelled your phone lines and internet service your TV bill would not be $40. It costs Verizon almost nothing to provide you with phone and internet services.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

It's not what it costs Verizon that matters, it what it costs YOU.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

I'm off contract with DirecTV so I cancelled last week. I'll restart paid tv when NBA comes back.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Go Blue 99 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:57 am We have DirecTV because of NFL Sunday Ticket. Wife and I are both fans of out-of-market teams so that's the only reliable way to watch our teams. I know there are bootleg streams available online but we aren't interested in doing that.

Apparently the current Sunday Ticket contract expires after the '22 season. I imagine the NFL will want to open up the market at that point to various partners.
If you don't have to watch them live, you can save a boatload of money by subscribing to NFL Game Pass instead. It's around $100/year, and lets you watch any and all games after they have concluded, with no commercials at all. They also have coaches film and condensed games--every play in the game, in under 30 minutes.

I can't stand watching football live anyway due to all the commercials, so if I was in your situation this is what I would do. It's actually totally free through the end of May if you want to play around with it a bit.
JeepDaze

Post by JeepDaze »

dukeblue219 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:46 pm

Exactly the same reason why I still have cable.
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

Slightly off topic but my kids' soccer seasons are basically cancelled yet I don't see anything in the way of a refund for the $1000 or $1500 or whatever I had to pay for them to join the travel teams.....oh the coaches are sending along some links for videos the kids can watch and encouraging them to go outside and practice....yay that is a good use of my money

I realize the coaches needed to get paid and maybe there were some fees paid to reserve fields or something, but still feels like a rip.....
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I also cut the cord when I moved. I honestly haven't missed the lack of sports. I will probably miss listening to a baseball game on the radio and I'm tired of sports shows having nothing to talk about except the NFL but maybe living w/o sports isn't that bad, at least for me. I've kind of moved away from them over the last decade or so.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone is going to get much of a refund. First the sports leagues are going to have to give back the money to the cable/satellite companies and then they are going to have to give back the money to the subscribers. Maybe you'll end up with a small credit.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Well, I suppose the cable companies could provide full coverage of empty courts and stadiums. They'd be covering everything going on there like usual. Could be interesting.

Dan, it looks like that seagull is thinking about stealing third. Do you think that's smart and will he have the guts to go for it?

I don't know, Jim. He'd really be taking a chance there, but he's made some gutsy moves before. He's known for leaving his mark in these situations.
Semper Augustus
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

Since everyone is just posting what packages they have...

I don't have any tv service. I just read. A lot. Wikipedia mostly. It's really nice to get lost there for a couple of hours.

I don't even have a separate internet service. I tether my phone to my computer.

In my town, the cheapest internet only package is ~$48/month. The cheapest TV package is ~$54/month. The cheapest double bundle is ~$90. I freely admit the price is unreasonable to me. If it were cheaper I would love a dedicated internet line for "always on" capability. But I won't spend that kind of money because I use <20 gb of data per month through my phone.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

No need to subsidize billionaires and millionaires.

There are so many unused services currently.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Between Pluto-TV and the internet, I can watch an enormous number of NCAA football and basketball games. Sure, they are smaller conferences or Division II and III games but they are just as entertaining. It is nice to see student-athletes play sports as opposed to the "one and dones" that dominate Div I college basketball.
noraz123

Post by noraz123 »

Monsterflockster wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:14 am ...

As many have said cut the cord (if you yourself are not on contract that is). Best thing I ever did was drop cable and picked up streaming.
Not only is streaming often cheaper than cable, it is also easier to cancel and "pause." I switched from cable to streaming over a year ago, and use YouTube TV. One of the benefits I just took advantage of was to pause my subscription. Without sports, there is little reason to pay for channels that I do not watch. I paused my service and now have it set to start up in the fall when football hopefully starts. Should baseball or basketball come back sooner, I can resume.

This is not possible when on contract. And even if not on contract, pausing or canceling with cable service would require me calling and dealing with sales reps that would upsell me. With YouTube TV, I could login and do it all online. Such a better experience.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

RootSki wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:43 am Would you prefer the cable companies drop ESPN and other sports channels for the duration of the pandemic?
They can drop them forever, if my bill will be cheaper.
Monk

Post by Monk »

We had Youtube TV almost exclusively for the Big Ten Network. As soon as NCAAM basketball was cancelled due to Covid-19 we turned off* our subscription - no cancellation fee, no hard sell, no having to cancel over the phone, no equipment to return. $50 or so a month is a lot for just BTN, but network TV programming just kind of.... stinks. Much happier with the content available on Netflix, Disney+, HBO Now, and Amazon Prime, all of which we subscribe to off and on.

*Technically, our subscription is "paused," and is set to unpause at the start of another season of Michigan football not winning the Big Ten.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

My biggest beef with the sports surcharges is that they have been attached to most basic cable packages, so if you want to view most of the other channels you are stuck paying for all those costly sports channels you can't get away from. Premium channels such as HBO I don't want so I don't pay for them. They are optional. But expensive sports channels such as YES (NY Yankees network) I would like to opt out of, too, but can't, unless I want to forgo most of the other "basic" cable channels. I have complained to my cable TV provider many, many times: "I don't watch sports so why can't I opt of those few channels the same way I opt out of true premium channels like HBO?"

Then there's the way the cable providers deceptively market their TV packages, advertising the price of their package but always excluding the just-as-mandatory sports surcharges.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

atikovi wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:52 am It's not what it costs Verizon that matters, it what it costs YOU.
Correct, but my point is that Verizon could charge you $65 for internet, $65 for phone and $10 for TV or $120 for TV, $10 for internet, and $10 for phone.
Last edited by Jags4186 on Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Jags4186 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:05 am
atikovi wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:52 am It's not what it costs Verizon that matters, it what it costs YOU.
Correct, but my point is that Verizon could charge you $65 for internet, $65 for phone and $10 for TV or $120 for TV, $10 for internet, and $10 for phone and $120 for TV.
I don't have the bill in front of me but I think it's something like $55 internet, $35 TV, $20 two phone lines and the rest is taxes and fees. The only thing I hate is the TV commercials. I thought the prime benefit of paid cable TV when it came out 40 or 50 years ago was no commercials. What the hell happened to that? The fee you pay is supposed to eliminate the need for ads.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

atikovi wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:16 am
Jags4186 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:05 am
Correct, but my point is that Verizon could charge you $65 for internet, $65 for phone and $10 for TV or $120 for TV, $10 for internet, and $10 for phone and $120 for TV.
I don't have the bill in front of me but I think it's something like $55 internet, $35 TV, $20 two phone lines and the rest is taxes and fees. The only thing I hate is the TV commercials. I thought the prime benefit of paid cable TV when it came out 40 or 50 years ago was no commercials. What the hell happened to that? The fee you pay is supposed to eliminate the need for ads.
FWIW, even the highest tier Hulu has some commercials on some channels. I think a Talmudic scholar can figure out which channels and under which circumstances commercials are automatically removed, when you can fast forward (some allow it before a commercial starts, some allow it any time, some don’t allow it ever, some differentiate between recorded shows and video on demand, and some remove commercials after some unspecified time). I missed that day at Yeshiva (btw, plug for Shtisel on Netflix — you’ll be surprised how entertaining and informative this show is; I had no idea).