How are you exercising with gym closures

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Geronkas

How are you exercising with gym closures

Post by Geronkas » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:57 pm

Hey Bogleheads, now that gyms are closed due to the ongoing Covid19 pandemic, how are you staying in shape? Before gym closures I was going to the gym 3 times a week. I got a good workout and enjoyed the social interactions. I love to run, should I be concerned about running outside? I am Interested in hearing ideas of how Bogleheads that frequented gyms before Covid19 are now staying in shape given our present reality.

bayview

Re: How are you exercising with gym closures

Post by bayview » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:04 pm

The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:08 pm

Geronkas wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:57 pm
Hey Bogleheads, now that gyms are closed due to the ongoing Covid19 pandemic, how are you staying in shape? Before gym closures I was going to the gym 3 times a week. I got a good workout and enjoyed the social interactions. I love to run, should I be concerned about running outside? I am Interested in hearing ideas of how Bogleheads that frequented gyms before Covid19 are now staying in shape given our present reality.
I have commercial quality equipment in my basement -- but no pec deck or plate-loaded linear leg press -- so I'll miss using those machines at my gym. Will just have to go without that equipment for a while.

You'll be fine running outside, as long as you run alone at a safe distance from others.

SlowlySaving

Post by SlowlySaving » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:10 pm

I am running A LOT outside! It is great to see all the families taking walks and riding bikes together also.
We have a small gym downstairs and I am using that every once in a while too.
Stay active! :D

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:15 pm

SlowlySaving wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:10 pm
I am running A LOT outside! It is great to see all the families taking walks and riding bikes together also.
We have a small gym downstairs and I am using that every once in a while too.
Stay active! :D
I have also been running outside in perfect weather. I’ve been considering home gym equipment. If the gym reopens in a month it would be a waste, so I haven’t yet.
Last edited by JonnyDVM on Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:15 pm

All bodyweight: chin-ups, push-ups, lunges, squats.

Elliptical machine in basement for breaking a really good sweat.

I tried getting into the other stuff like mountain climbers and burpees but I just can't. I hate all that. I like the bare bones basics.

Occasional walk around the neighborhood, although more for something to do than exercise.

Tomorrow I will do about 50 chin-ups and 100 push-ups in total.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:15 pm

I've been primarily using my awesome corporate gym for 5yrs so this has been a good opportunity to put to use all the equipment that I spent ~$15k on over the past 2 decades. I've been doing some "interesting" things; this morning I threw 180lbs. on my sled (prowler), put on the harness and took a walk for about 90min (3.4 miles according to Strava) around the neighborhood.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:18 pm

I have a Sole treadmill and olympic weight set with bench and dumbbells in my basement. It’s enough.
When you haven't got the coin you're always in the way — Geo. M. Cohan

bayview

Post by bayview » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:20 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:15 pm
I've been primarily using my awesome corporate gym for 5yrs so this has been a good opportunity to put to use all the equipment that I spent ~$15k on over the past 2 decades. I've been doing some "interesting" things; this morning I threw 180lbs. on my sled (prowler), put on the harness and took a walk for about 90min (3.4 miles according to Strava) around the neighborhood.
That must have been quite a sight!

Did the neighborhood dogs go berserk?
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

bayview

Post by bayview » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:23 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:18 pm
I have a Sole treadmill and olympic weight set with bench and dumbbells in my basement. It’s enough.
We’ve been considering a Sole treadmill. We have asthma (exercise-induced and allergic) and sometimes need to stay indoors.

Which model do you have, and what do you feel are its pros and cons?

MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:25 pm

My wife got a bunch of fitness videos from the library right before they closed. We're doing that and walking trails.

Please if you are going to run wear a mask or something and keep at least six feet from the people you are passing.

It's disgusting these runners on the trails huffing and puffing as they run by walkers. Keep your sweat and saliva to yourselves!

Probably better for runners and bikers to use the roads and avoid the trails.
We plan. G-d laughs.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:26 pm

bayview wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:20 pm
stoptothink wrote:

No, but I came home to hear from my wife that one of the neighbors (unbeknownst to me) had taken a picture from her porch and it had 100+ likes and countless comments on Instagram before I got home. #justamantakinghissledforawalk #nothingtoseehere

smitty1515

Post by smitty1515 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:26 pm

Jog about 40 miles a week.
Spin (have my road bike on trainer) 1-2 x weekly
Push ups
Planks
Sit ups
Side planks
Bicycles
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. -Warren Buffett

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:30 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:26 pm
bayview wrote:
stoptothink wrote:

No, but I came home to hear from my wife that one of the neighbors (unbeknownst to me) had taken a picture from her porch and it had 100+ likes and countless comments on Instagram before I got home. #justamantakinghissledforawalk #nothingtoseehere
Nicely done! A proud moment for any dad and husband!

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:30 pm

MishkaWorries wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:25 pm

The trails in my area are INSANE right now. We've tried to go a few times and there wasn't even anywhere to park so we turned around. We have a walking/cycling trail that spans most of the county and has an outlet about a mile from our home, it has looked like rush hour traffic every time I've gone past. On the other hand, I've been running 15-20 miles/week on the roads for the past month, I don't recall passing a single other human. I also didn't come across another person while I took my sled for a walk this morning.

bayview

Post by bayview » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:48 pm

stoptothink wrote:
bayview wrote:
stoptothink wrote:

Ha ha, that’s great!
stoptothink wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:30 pm
...On the other hand, I've been running 15-20 miles/week on the roads for the past month, I don't recall passing a single other human. I also didn't come across another person while I took my sled for a walk this morning.
We’re in a neighborhood with a ton of walkers, and it has been fun watching them in their permutations and combinations. People maintaining their six feet while carrying on conversations, families with kids and strollers and four huge dogs on leashes (one family), dog walkers in general with ecstatic dogs. You would have been a hit on our street.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:49 pm

bayview wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:23 pm
Nicolas wrote:
We’ve been considering a Sole treadmill. We have asthma (exercise-induced and allergic) and sometimes need to stay indoors.

It’s a Sole F63. We bought it on recommendation of our daughter who’s had hers for ten years. We bought ours in November 2018 from Dick’s Sporting Goods, online. I paid $850 and got free shipping. I hauled it down into our basement myself, with help from two nephews, then I assembled it myself. It wasn’t difficult, the instructions are straightforward. We use it almost every day. My daughter said our fan is stronger than hers is. Maybe it was a model improvement over the intervening ten years.

The only maintenance I’ve done is to grease the bed once as per the routine maintenance instructions. It’s the only treadmill we’ve owned so I can’t compare it to anything. I mainly use the most basic program, the manual one, which is simply to start it moving and then increase the speed. I’ve used a more advanced program a few times and increased the angle, it worked okay, but I mainly use manual. We’ve had only one problem with it, I used to plug my iPhone into its sound system to play music but it became intermittent so I switched to another music system. I don’t consider it a serious problem as the speakers weren’t that great anyway. Otherwise it’s been great.
When you haven't got the coin you're always in the way — Geo. M. Cohan

bayview

Post by bayview » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:50 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:49 pm
bayview wrote:
Nicolas wrote:

It’s a Sole F63. We bought it on recommendation of our daughter who’s had hers for ten years. We bought ours in November 2018 from Dick’s Sporting Goods, online. I paid $850 and got free shipping. I hauled it down into our basement myself, with help from two nephews, then I assembled it myself. It wasn’t difficult, the instructions are straightforward. We use it almost every day. My daughter said our fan is stronger than hers is. Maybe it was a model improvement over the intervening ten years.

The only maintenance I’ve done is to grease the bed once as per the routine maintenance instructions. It’s the only treadmill we’ve owned so I can’t compare it to anything. I mainly use the most basic program, the manual one, which is simply to start it moving and then increase the speed. I’ve used a more advanced program a few times and increased the angle, it worked okay, but I mainly use manual. We’ve had only one problem with it, I used to plug my iPhone into its sound system to play music but it became intermittent so I switched to another music system. I don’t consider it a serious problem as the speakers weren’t that great anyway. Otherwise it’s been great.
Excellent, thank you very much!

hirlaw

Post by hirlaw » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:52 pm

In addition to walking, I have a set of resistance bands that have done a pretty good job of replicating my gym workout.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:03 pm

Biking, hiking, and walking. Luckily live near the foothills and have a very nice trail down the street from my house and can maintain 6' space.

Topic Author
Geronkas

Post by Geronkas » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:31 am

Thanks for all the ideas. Our hiking trails are still open, so I might give hiking a try. I will consider getting some weights for a mini home gym.

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:26 am

Mountain biking. Was never into gyms. We are fortunate to have a great outdoors here. So far they haven't closed the trails or open spaces as long as everyone maintains a physical distance.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:30 am

I learned how to make oatmeal from a poster on the forum in a way that requires a bit of exercise. No gym required, but beware: Don't try this at home unless you want awesome abs.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

fujiters

Post by fujiters » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:49 am

livesoft wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:30 am
I learned how to make oatmeal from a poster on the forum in a way that requires a bit of exercise. No gym required, but beware: Don't try this at home unless you want awesome abs.
Could we get some results pics (both oatmeal and abs)?

I've been running near my house, but now that the weather has gotten beautiful the paths are so crowded I'm considering giving it up or buying an industrial mask (one that allows exhaust because those are the only ones in stock given that they can't be used in medical environments).
“The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary.” -Benjamin Graham

7th_Diagram

Post by 7th_Diagram » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:19 am

I do 100 total pushups before each meal.
"You have to understand, most people are not ready to be unplugged,and many of them are so injured, so hopelessly dependent upon the system, that they will fight to protect it." | ~Morpheus

bayview

Post by bayview » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:58 am

livesoft wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:30 am
I’ve started on steel-cut oatmeal. I once saw your how-to, but I don’t do well with the search function here. Can you post the link, or summarize the how-to again? I remember it being pretty intricate, or unusual or something.

Patzer

Post by Patzer » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:04 am

A set of pushups on each conference call and a half hour walk around the neighborhood every morning rain or shine.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:08 am

Walking around local trails or jogging. Saw a very interesting person yesterday who was jogging, actually running, while swinging a jump rope in harmony with his speed, something that takes far more coordination than mine for sure.

Tim

h82goslw

Post by h82goslw » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:18 am

bayview wrote:
Nicolas wrote:

I have the Sole F80 purchased last year. It’s awesome and would definitely recommend the company. I’d go with the F63 based on the savings in price.
ETA: I bought mine directly from the company website and put it together in my basement. Very easy to remove from box and set it up. Getting it from driveway down to the basement? Not so much.

bayview

Post by bayview » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:23 am

h82goslw wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:18 am
bayview wrote:
Nicolas wrote:

I have the Sole F80 purchased last year. It’s awesome and would definitely recommend the company. I’d go with the F63 based on the savings in price.
ETA: I bought mine directly from the company website and put it together in my basement. Very easy to remove from box and set it up. Getting it from driveway down to the basement? Not so much.
Thank you, that’s a great perspective and what we were thinking.

As there is always a risk that exercise equipment will be quietly converted to informal clothes hangers, we’re minimizing bells and whistles while still hoping for basic quality.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:25 am

bayview wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:58 am
I’ve started on steel-cut oatmeal. I once saw your how-to, but I don’t do well with the search function here. Can you post the link, or summarize the how-to again? I remember it being pretty intricate, or unusual or something.
viewtopic.php?p=2242092#p2242092
Instead of crunches one can add a different exercise. I am using in the 1-minute microwave intervals:
crunches
straight leg lifts
planks
Russian twists
push-ups
pull-ups
carrying dumbbells up and down the stairs for that minute
... many other body-weight or dumbbell exercises ...

So plenty of variety to mix things up with your oatmeal and breakfast routine.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:31 am

MishkaWorries wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:25 pm
My wife got a bunch of fitness videos from the library right before they closed. We're doing that and walking trails.

Please if you are going to run wear a mask or something and keep at least six feet from the people you are passing.

It's disgusting these runners on the trails huffing and puffing as they run by walkers. Keep your sweat and saliva to yourselves!

+100 on this....

My wife gets totally freaked out by runners who pass too close when we are out walking.

Then there are folks on bikes .....

Lots of stress for all of us out there. FWIW, we are masking up (homemade, but colorful) before venturing out.

WoodSpinner

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:52 am

A one mile walk with the dog, around the neighborhood, three times a day.

A three mile walk in the early morning, down a pretty good sized hill and then back up again. Gets the blood circulating pretty well.

Still averaging 19,000 steps per day, same as before the virus mess. And still able to listen to all the podcasts that I had in rotation from my pre-virus "treadmill" days.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:06 am

For strength, I use a set of powerblock 90's, which are adjustable dumbells up to 90 lbs each. You aren't going to prep for your next powerlifting meet with those, but it is sufficient for most people's exercise. I purchased them from a Craiglist hippie several years ago at a considerable discount to new.

I own a life fitness commercial elliptical, purchased from a Facebook hippie at a considerable discount to new.

Also, I take walks and go hiking. And I have two decent bicycles for nice weather days. There is a 30-mile loop I normally like to ride, where the danger of getting splatted by a car is about as low as it gets. It's a series of bike paths that I connect to via public roads. Since I live in America, the risk of getting manslaughtered is still really high. Unfortunately, all bike paths are really clogged with bored people on stay at home orders, so I'm avoiding those for now.

dorothyday

Post by dorothyday » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:10 am

One or two hours per day of biking or walking.

One hour per day of Egoscue and yoga.

Baby weights while watching TV.

I miss the camaraderie of the gym and the classes like Salsa Dancing. Virtual pickleball? Not quite the same.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:13 am

We have a power rack in the basement that was being used as a clothes rack. We in California have the advantage that we started closing down before most of the rest of the country, so when that started happening, I was able to get some weight plates on Amazon. So strength training is a combination of weights and body weight exercises at home.

For cardio, we’re running. We were running on the trails near home, but all the parks, including the trails, are closed now. So now we’re running down the middle of the street. There’s hardly any traffic, so that works. I’m the fool doing hill intervals in front of your house twice a week.

We’re also doing martial arts training in the alley behind the house.

I miss the gym and martial arts studio. A lot.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:14 am

I've become aware that I "think" about exercising and fitness a lot more nowadays, and with age.

A "boglehead approach" :confused

Presently pondering on the allocation between: exercising /vs rest and recovery time

IE: 1 hour / 2 days/week or 20 minutes / 3 days/week or . .

Of course this allocation might glide path with age and possible declining physicality and cognitive decline. :shock:

A recent doctor's evaluation comment:

"Consider focusing on reducing inactivity VS focusing on how much you can do and doing more"

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

IMhooked

Post by IMhooked » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:16 am

Alternating Fat Tire Bike Rides, Running, and Kettle Bell workouts.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:23 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:13 am
We have a power rack in the basement that was being used as a clothes rack. We in California have the advantage that we started closing down before most of the rest of the country, so when that started happening, I was able to get some weight plates on Amazon. So strength training is a combination of weights and body weight exercises at home.

For cardio, we’re running. We were running on the trails near home, but all the parks, including the trails, are closed now. So now we’re running down the middle of the street. There’s hardly any traffic, so that works. I’m the fool doing hill intervals in front of your house twice a week.

We’re also doing martial arts training in the alley behind the house.

I miss the gym and martial arts studio. A lot.
+1
Enjoy it as you are able to for as long as you are able to :happy

"shihan"
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:26 am

I have a rowing machine, adjustable dumbbells, kettle bells, and an exercise bike in a home gym. We also have been walking and biking.

An idea for those who are stuck at home without a gym or much space -- get the Peloton app. It's the same Peloton as that makes the overpriced exercise bike, except you skip the bike. They have organized professional classes for aerobics, cycling (of course), weights, yoga, etc. The app does not require you to buy their equipment. And subscribing to the app is free for 90 days, so it should last through the initial lock downs. (It's not that expensive after that, either.)

I have heard good things about it, especially the social/encouragement aspects, but we haven't subscribed yet. So none of this is on first-hand experience. We're getting along fine without it, so I'm waiting to start the clock for when things get really bad and we can't go/don't want to go outside.

Another idea for those without equipment or space: Try Arnold Schwarzenegger's home workout plan.
https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a318 ... kout-plan/

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:35 am

After breakfast, I usually walk 2, maybe 3 miles usually every day.

Then mid morning, I do about 30 minutes of yoga; usually 4, 5 days a week.

Early afternoons, I do light weights (3 days/wk); a little heavier weights on other days (maybe 40-50lbs).

All this is not just for fun/exercise, but I am trying to “rehabilitate” my muscles/joints.
I was recently diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica; really, really painful on the joints.
I am on prednisone, but doctor is reducing my daily dosage as much as possible.
i also started taking Turmeric to help with the inflammation.

I do miss going to the YMCA; can’t wait to return.

puc_ytpme

Post by puc_ytpme » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:45 am

The condo’s I live at have an on-site gym. Precor weighted machines, elliptical, treadmill, bikes & free weighted dumbbells up to 60lbs. No more than 5 fockers at a time with provided sanitary wipes for before & after use.

If management changes the rules to permanent closure in the near future. I will adjust to body weighted exercises @ home. Is what it is at this time.

Just as important, to me @ least. I am still tracking my macronutrients for the body composition that I want. Diversification is key. Though I do tend to tilt more towards protein
No person ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river & they’re not the same person

sjl333

Post by sjl333 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:48 am

Treadmill, peloton, free weights. Having a home gym is a great investment IMO for long term health and longevity.

Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:56 am

smitty1515 wrote:
Push ups
Planks
Sit ups
Side planks
Bicycles
First time I’ve heard someone averaging 6-7 miles a day call themselves a jogger. :confused

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:03 pm

I'm doing the same things as before the virus, but since I'm "stay at home" instead of sitting in my office during the week, the amount has increased significantly.

My exercise:

Using chain saw to cut insect damaged trees, downed trees and storm damaged trees then cut to fire wood length

Load into tractor bucket and cart. Unload on "newly cut" pile.

Split with a splitting maul

Stack for drying. Bring some pieces or smaller stuff I cut into the basement to store or put into the wood furnace.

Walk with my wife when it's not raining. Lately, we're walking the trails around the lake across the street instead of the road. More hills.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:09 pm

Olympic barbell and dumbell bars, weight plates, and squat rack.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain

tiburblium

Post by tiburblium » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:13 pm

I invested in a home gym years ago

smitty1515

Post by smitty1515 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:26 pm

Monsterflockster wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:56 am
smitty1515 wrote:
Push ups
Planks
Sit ups
Side planks
Bicycles
First time I’ve heard someone averaging 6-7 miles a day call themselves a jogger. :confused
Ok run....

:D
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. -Warren Buffett

cs412a

Post by cs412a » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:30 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:14 am
I've become aware that I "think" about exercising and fitness a lot more nowadays, and with age.

A "boglehead approach" :confused

Presently pondering on the allocation between: exercising /vs rest and recovery time

IE: 1 hour / 2 days/week or 20 minutes / 3 days/week or . .

Of course this allocation might glide path with age and possible declining physicality and cognitive decline. :shock:

A recent doctor's evaluation comment:

"Consider focusing on reducing inactivity VS focusing on how much you can do and doing more"

I'm in my late 60s, and I definitely find that I need more recovery time than I'd like. I've found I need to pay attention to what my body is telling me, and go off that - sometimes it's one day, but more often two days. Not only do I feel better when I do this instead of keeping to a rigid timetable, I find that my performance (for me, rowing speed) is markedly better during my sessions and I can push myself and see myself improving rather than just struggling to get through the session.

I found the following article from British Rowing helpful, because it includes information on the subjective factors to pay attention to:

https://www.britishrowing.org/2019/02/t ... or-rowers/