What are you doing for haircuts due to coronavirus shutdown?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TheOscarGuy

Re: What are you doing for haircuts due to coronavirus shutdown?

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Based on comments on this thread I went ahead and bought Hatteker hair trimmer. I had a nice haircut today, and with two or so cuts I would break even!
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:45 pm Reading these posts sounds like it's way too much worry and work. How about just brushing it back into a pony tail?
Mel, I agree!

Now is the perfect time for me to grow a pony tail. My last haircut was in mid-December.

I usually have a scruffy beard all the time.

My grandaughters braided my hair last summer. DW was not amused, but the granddaughters had fun. Who am I to cut out their fun?

Even at the least optimistic time I can get a haircut, it will still be shorter than it was in the 70ties.

Another month and I will have hair and beard worthy of the guys on the Mountain Men show.

I just need to keep a sharp eye out for DW stalking me with clippers in her hands. :shock:

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

jastevenson wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:48 pm My hair grows pretty quick, so I am due for a haircut. However, all the barber shops are shut down.

How are you handling our national health hair crisis?
The same thing I've been doing for the past 20 years - my wife cuts it.
Of course, there's not much up there to be cut these days...

:D
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:35 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:45 pm Reading these posts sounds like it's way too much worry and work. How about just brushing it back into a pony tail?
Mel, I agree!

Now is the perfect time for me to grow a pony tail. My last haircut was in mid-December.

I usually have a scruffy beard all the time.

My grandaughters braided my hair last summer. DW was not amused, but the granddaughters had fun. Who am I to cut out their fun?

Even at the least optimistic time I can get a haircut, it will still be shorter than it was in the 70ties.

Another month and I will have hair and beard worthy of the guys on the Mountain Men show.

I just need to keep a sharp eye out for DW stalking me with clippers in her hands. :shock:

Broken Man 1999
Gotta watch out for stalkers with clippers in hand. Also have to sleep with one eye open, lest she gets you when you're sleeping (hint: sleep on your back with the pony tail down). :happy
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

jastevenson wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:48 pm My hair grows pretty quick, so I am due for a haircut. However, all the barber shops are shut down.

I shaved my head off :)
delamer

Post by delamer »

Blue456 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:40 pm

Beheading seems like an extreme reaction!
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

delamer wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:50 pm
Blue456 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:40 pm

Beheading seems like an extreme reaction!
It solves the corona virus issue as well. You can't get sick when you don't have your head....
On the serious note. Probably keeping your hair short makes it less likely to get infected.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

This thread has been good!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
gas_balloon

Post by gas_balloon »

It's been so difficult to find a decent hair clipper kit in stock. I've been searching online for days with no luck. The soonest Amazon can deliver a not-so-good Conair kit is in May. No luck finding the nicer Wahl Elite Pro, Wahl Color Pro or Wahl Self cut pro anywhere.

Also none in my local Craigslist or FB marketplace. Even the animal clipper kits in Petco are sold out!

Did someone find a source to purchase a clipper set?
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Nothing so far - I had my last haircut just before the stay at home orders started, but that haircut has now run its course. I have a Wahl Peanut I bought a while back that I use to trim my beard. But it's about to do double duty on top of my head. I normally wear a fade on the side with longish hair on top swept back and to the side. But in these difficult times, I'm going to buzz it this weekend and have my wife trim up the edges in the back. Wish me luck....
Broken Man 1999

Saw on FaceTime a grandson now has a Mohawk. It is a bit crooked, but still very stylish. A DD cut SIL's hair. Haven't seen his cut yet.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

Mine is layered. Will look ragged for months before it is long enough on the top and sides to go into a pony tail. SO and I color each other's hair already... I quasi trimmed his. Mine is too complex for a DIY. It'll be a hat for me soon...
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Mid 40's with a full head of hair.

Letting it grow long. The wife like it.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Farmer uses sheep shears to give himself a haircut, one minute twelve seconds:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1250119125386616838
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Well, I have received my $20 clippers from Amazon and cut my own hair for the first time last Friday. I missed some spots, and the Mrs. did't care for it. But I hit it again the next day and now it seems okay-is.

I am starting to see more people who also appear to have cut their own hair. It's somewhat amusing......
gas_balloon

Post by gas_balloon »

Normchad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:22 pm I have received my $20 clippers from Amazon
Which one did you purchase?
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

lostdog wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:38 am Mid 40's with a full head of hair.

Letting it grow long. The wife like it.
For those holding out and hoping the barbers/hairdressers reopen (like me), please post when you capitulate.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

capitulate (v.) - ...in classical Latin "heading," literally "a little head," diminutive of caput (genitive capitis) "head" (from PIE root *kaput- "head").
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

My normal hair person is now offering house calls (assuming under-the-table).
My growing hair is driving me crazy enough that I was considering making an appointment and setting up a chair and extension cord in the yard (so should wouldn't have to come in the house) but my spouse objected (and rightfully so - kind of breaks the non-essential shutdown rules) so I am holding off. If this goes on past a couple more weeks I will either move forward with a home-visit hair cut or shave my own head. I have resisted doing the latter since I am on numerous video conference calls for work.
BruinBones

Post by BruinBones »

Controversial subject in the military right now.

<https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... nding.html>
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Still getting shaggier. I’m back to about 1978 now.

We did give the dog a haircut ourselves yesterday. She is cursing us because we’re not very good at it and she looks kind of like a patchwork quilt at the moment. She’ll have to go back under the clippers today to fix what we did yesterday.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

walletless wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:58 pm
Normchad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:22 pm I have received my $20 clippers from Amazon
I splurged and got the $36 cordless one. We set up a outdoor deck salon. I cut my son's hair and my wife cut mine. Got tons of compliments on my Zoom calls. Would highly recommend.
Wahl Color Pro Cordless Rechargeable Hair Clipper & Trimmer – Easy Color-Coded Guide Combs - For Men, Women & Children – Model 9649 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0993NM/re ... LEbMHT81AJ
gas_balloon

Post by gas_balloon »

mervinj7 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:55 am
I splurged and got the $36 cordless one. We set up a outdoor deck salon. I cut my son's hair and my wife cut mine. Got tons of compliments on my Zoom calls. Would highly recommend.
Wahl Color Pro Cordless Rechargeable Hair Clipper & Trimmer – Easy Color-Coded Guide Combs - For Men, Women & Children – Model 9649 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0993NM/re ... LEbMHT81AJ
Thanks, I've ordered that over a week ago too, but there is still no ship date from Amazon. I ordered this one yesterday and got a ship date of May 8. https://amzn.to/2K9nmkq

Hoping this shows up sooner. Hair is getting unmanageable! That Remington model I ordered also was on. Thewirecutter.com's list of recommended hair clippers.

Both these models don't have a taper lever though, which I honestly don't know how to use anyway😂
queso

Post by queso »

Got lucky and thought of this a month ago and ordered a Wahl. My first coronacut was an attempt at a #3 fade to #6 on top. One look from my wife after I walked back in off the deck and that was promptly changed to a #3 all over. My second coronacut was a #2 all over and I am liking that look better. The low maintenance and cost are nice, but I prefer my barber.
DVMResident

Post by DVMResident »

Growing it out! When will get another chance?
I’m going bald and this probably my last go at long hair.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Phillips Norelco MG3750 I believe. It works. I don’t know if it’s any good or not, or high quality or not but it did the job for me. And it was about $20, so it paid for itself with a single haircut.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

We had given a Wahl clipper set to my son a few years ago for Christmas which he didnt use. My wife knew where it was and she gave me a great haircut and beard trim.

Not perfect, but pretty darned close.

Felt and looked better afterwards!

Ed
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

birdog wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:43 pm I’ve cut my own hair with clippers and scissors for years. My wife tells me it looks better than when I went to get it cut professionally.
Your wife may be right, or not, but it really doesn't matter since you're married.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Damn hippie!

birdog

Post by birdog »

mptfan wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:16 pm
birdog wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:43 pm I’ve cut my own hair with clippers and scissors for years. My wife tells me it looks better than when I went to get it cut professionally.
Your wife may be right, or not, but it really doesn't matter since you're married.
Hah! I get it. But actually, she's right. Cutting your own hair is not that hard, depending on your hairstyle. I give myself the standard Navy cut, which is not as aggressive as the Marine Corps "high and tight". Cutting short hair is made easy by using different length clipper guards. A fade/taper is easy for me to do on myself. Your results may vary. I look good, tho. Real good. 8-)
lawlopez

Post by lawlopez »

Well, many years ago in Graduate school I started growing a beard.
While it was growing in, I met my future wife.
While living on Long Island the barbers (all female, so unlike Queens where they were all Italian Men)
decided that they needed to trim the beard.

To make a long story short (and I haven't) my wife cuts my hair.
For decades.
She trims the beard a little.
I'd be afraid to get rid of it.

So no changes here.

We are so forward looking.
GatorFL

Post by GatorFL »

123 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:24 pm Maybe it's a business opportunity to bring back the Flowbee that used to advertised on TV all the time. It cut hair as I recall but it had some kind of connection to a vacuum cleaner as well.
I actually bought a Flowbee back in January. They are still in business and still making them in Texas. I absolutely love the device, the kit came with the little vaccum and the clipper unit as well as many sized guards to cut hair to a certain length.

You can actually get a better price by ordering direct from the company vs Amazon.

The unit is rock solid, many people have owned them for 15-20 years now.

Gator
kacang

Post by kacang »

Flowbee lol. My kids have bad memories of flowbee haircuts when they were little. The men in my family are letting it grow, despite my offers to mow the lawn.
Broken Man 1999

lawlopez wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:39 pm Well, many years ago in Graduate school I started growing a beard.
While it was growing in, I met my future wife.
While living on Long Island the barbers (all female, so unlike Queens where they were all Italian Men)
decided that they needed to trim the beard.

To make a long story short (and I haven't) my wife cuts my hair.
For decades.
She trims the beard a little.
I'd be afraid to get rid of it.

So no changes here.

We are so forward looking.
I had a beard when DDs were very young. I shaved it off one day, and they wanted to have nothing to do with that "new" man!

After a few days they warmed up to me again.

It kinda interesting how small children, and even animals accept changes that are visual. When I received a new wheelchair, my yard cat wouldn't get near me for a few days. Same person in the chair, but the chair was different.

Broken Man 1999
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Love the references to 60s and 70s. Moved to Texas 1965 from Arizona, 5th grade. All the boys showed up with buzz cuts that Spring. I was horrified. They still do it here. NOT MY KID! DH is hanging in there with the grey fringe, not too bad. When we met in 72 it was to his shoulders (and had some on top). I got mine trimmed late January thank goodness, but had cosmetic surgery mid February and was waiting to heal before going in. Oops on that idea. Longer now than I like but oh well, like said, no one seeing us. I am 66 and not much grey, thankfully. Will take the dog clipper to DH if he looks too bad. Border Collies are needing the trim, but weather got cooler this week.
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

quantAndHold wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:50 am Still getting shaggier. I’m back to about 1978 now.
I want to go back to my 1978 hairstyle. I had hair on top then! :beer
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

walletless wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:54 am It's been so difficult to find a decent hair clipper kit in stock. I've been searching online for days with no luck. The soonest Amazon can deliver a not-so-good Conair kit is in May. No luck finding the nicer Wahl Elite Pro, Wahl Color Pro or Wahl Self cut pro anywhere.

Also none in my local Craigslist or FB marketplace. Even the animal clipper kits in Petco are sold out!

I posted this a week or so ago. eBay has plenty of Wahl clippers (many brand new) for sale right now.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I was in a rock band in the 90's. I'm bringing back the hair.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Will do good wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:23 pm
Damn hippie!

Saved tons on haircuts over the years and was able to retire early! :moneybag

With a pony tail, you just whack some off the bottom when it gets too long and you're good to go! 8-)
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

I've been cutting my own hair since I was 16... I'm 36 now.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

Given that untidy hair is the worst inconvenience you face, under the present circumstances, you are truly fortunate.
PJW
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

This guy does an all over clipper cut.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YaFfFy8jPtY
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

I bought a Wahl clipper about 4 weeks ago. My wife cut my hair for the first time approximately 2 weeks ago. She used a #2 guard all over just like my barber would have. When she was finished, I felt like a new man.
bagle

Post by bagle »

Watched a few Youtube videos (including above).

Watched Emma Lock´s tutorial on FaceBook.

Wahl clipper arrived yesterday.

Did self cut yesterday using no. 3 guard on bottom, scissors trim on top. Wife touched up back and ears.

Turned out better than expected. Key was to make smooth transition from shorter, clipped section below to longer section above.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

Jeff Albertson wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:10 pm Farmer uses sheep shears to give himself a haircut, one minute twelve seconds:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1250119125386616838
Don't catch an ear in those things!

Alas, I have starkly straight hair (1a on the Andre Walker scale: straight, fine, and a tendency to oiliness), so any unevenness in cutting stands out (unlike that farmer's wavy hair).

Right now, it's growing out, but I'm probably going to get my barber to do a video lesson for my wife to do a longish crew cut on me
bovineplane

Post by bovineplane »

In an attempt at market timing I started going bald in 2005. Been cutting my own hair ever since. Clippers on zero. 5 minutes later, done. Every year it seems to be faster and faster for each haircut and I slowly rebalance from 100% hair to bald. Carrying costs include a new set of clippers every 4-5 years.

As I get older I realize my AA/risk tolerance of holding hair in my portfolio has decreased.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Been shaving my own head for well over 15 years. Saved a lot of money going to a barber. Short and neat.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
delamer

Post by delamer »

Has anyone used Surker brand clippers?

My husband just ordered some from Amazon.
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

walletless wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:54 am It's been so difficult to find a decent hair clipper kit in stock. I've been searching online for days with no luck. The soonest Amazon can deliver a not-so-good Conair kit is in May. No luck finding the nicer Wahl Elite Pro, Wahl Color Pro or Wahl Self cut pro anywhere.

As a suggestion, go to the Wahl Professional website. https://wahlpro.com/

On the pro website, Wahl is currently providing a 20% off for purchases during the virus thingie (US only, while supplies last). However, they do have limited stock. I had to check daily until the one I wanted was back in stock, ordered it, and had it within a week. I tried the "non-pro" website https://wahlusa.com/products/haircuttin ... D=clippers and was not successful in finding something in stock. Plus, no 20% off on those.
birdog

Post by birdog »

I think the barber/stylist industry won't recover to it's full pre-covid19 level because so many have recently invested in clippers and have learned that they can cut their own hair.