JD Power Survey re Car Purchase: Legit or Not?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Strider

JD Power Survey re Car Purchase: Legit or Not?

Post by Strider » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:20 pm

I have received a survey form from J.D. Power inquiring about my satisfaction with a car I recently purchased. Is this legit? Should I bother responding?

Strider

skepticalobserver

Re: JD Power Survey re Car Purchase: Legit or Not?

Post by skepticalobserver » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:23 pm

I wouldn't reply based on privacy concerns. Also, I don't think anybody in interested in an opinion--just PR bunk

Afty

Post by Afty » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:36 pm

JD Power is legitimate, and they do their various studies by surveying people at random. You may have heard about their Initial Quality Study, which is widely covered in the popular press. For example, https://www.forbes.com/sites/jacknerad2 ... 1e9eee472b .

From their FAQ: “How does J.D. Power conduct its research? J.D. Power surveys consumers and business customers by mail, telephone, and e-mail. We go to great lengths to make sure that these respondents are chosen at random and that they actually have experience with the product or company they are rating. For example, ratings for the Lexus IS come from people who actually own one. As a result, J.D. Power ratings are based entirely on consumer opinions and perceptions.” https://www.jdpower.com/business/about- ... -questions

Their privacy policy is here: https://www.jdpower.com/privacy#How-do- ... mation--EN
Last edited by Afty on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:37 pm

I received a large number of new car purchase surveys after purchasing a new car. I believe they are legitimate. It's not like they ask any personal information so who cares you answer or not.

boogiehead

Post by boogiehead » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:39 pm

Did you receive a few dollars in cash with the survey? I think its something that they do to entice you to complete the survey. :D.

shunkman

Post by shunkman » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:54 pm

Mine went right in the shredder. Lots of innocuous appearing survey/questionnaire data is used for purposes other than what you think. Are you comfortable donating your time and personal information to a corporation that then sells this data pretty much however they please? If so, then it's probably legit.