Replacing Cable TV with Streaming: Critical Analysis

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bhwabeck3533

Replacing Cable TV with Streaming: Critical Analysis

Post by bhwabeck3533 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:42 am

I am a 64 year old married guy who doesn't watch a lot of TV, and loves to manage expenses (from a value viewpoint). Currently cable + internet bill is $180/month (no promos available, don't want to negotiate/complain with AT&T any longer). How do I "build" a set of streaming services to meet the current cable offering I have chosen: network channels, old TV reruns (specifically original Star Trek series), plus sports (must haves are Golf and Tennis channels). We currently do subscribe to Amazon Prime and are trialing Hulu; we just can't seem to get excited about watching all the streamed programs (my wife is interested in some of these ... and I might watch good Documentaries if they were available).

Basically, I am overwhelmed at all the on-line options and would like an approach to move off of cable to streaming. Welcome all recommendations, except calling AT&T or switching to Dish/Other Cable providers). Also, please comment on required internet speed to support streaming of programming.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Re: Replacing Cable TV with Streaming: Critical Analysis

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:50 am

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

Topic Author
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:53 am

Thanks for re-posting, I just discovered the forum. Perfect!

windaar

Post by windaar » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:55 am

Look into Sling and put an antenna in the attic. That will get just about everything but cable news.
Nobody knows nothing.

Chris001122

Post by Chris001122 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:01 am

I do NOT know how you get the golf and tennis content streaming. Maybe ask some others. Possibly check out YouTube TV or Sling TV for their sports packages if this exists.

You can buy the entire Star Trek series on DVD for like 50-100 dollars. I have it. I think it was closer to 50 dollars. That problem solved.

I used Netflix 15 dollars a month now (was 9.99 not too long ago) and a Tivo OTR Roamio and a great Antenna. I think mine is a clearstream 4V antenna. I get like 30-50 channels over the air and I have a online guide and can DVR shows (record them on a schedule).

We use YouTube a lot on the Tivo Roamio. We have subscriptions that we add and its fund to watch these together. I've been without cable and satellite many years now. Once in awhile I miss a good football game, but that's okay. The money I am saving goes to retirement and college for my kids.
"It's always been a mistake to bet against the United States since 1776." - Warren Buffett

donfairplay

Post by donfairplay » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:03 am

The only way to get tennis channel and nbc golf channel in a relatively cost friendly package would be Sling blue package ($30) + Sports extra add-on package ($10).

If you figure about $75 or $80 monthly for internet, that brings it to about $120 monthly.

The internet providers are letting you stream as much as you want, but charge much more for internet nowadays. You're going to have to make some compromises, or your wife may have to make some compromises on what you want to watch.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:19 am

Networks: if you live close to town an antenna should work for this

Star Trek: Netflix has both the original series and Next Generation.

Golf/tennis: this might be the hardest. I’m not sure a solution. SlingTV maybe?

Streaming device: sounds like you already have something, but if not I enjoy my Roku Ultra. Apple TV is also an option. I didn’t enjoy my Amazon Fire stick. I also prefer external devices to “smart” TVs.

Speed: I’ve streamed just fine on 15mbps. I have 100mbps now and it is by far enough with plenty to spare.
“There is no problem so bad you can’t make it worse.” - Chris Hatfield, Astronaut mantra

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:23 am

Antenna (all the networks & good subchannels), TiVo with DVR, Netflix, Amazon Prime, PlutoTV (free & has live streaming news).
Monthly cost for Spectrum HS Internet, Ooma phone, Netflix - $90. Don't count Amazon Prime as we (4 of us) buy frequently & would have it anyway.
Devices - RCA Antenna $40, Roku $30, TiVo DVR with lifetime service $300. All purchased 2015.
Had DirecTV service previously for 8 years. Had PlayStation Vue for 4 years. Don't miss anything. Very satisfied.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.

Murr

Post by Murr » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:26 am

We were tired of haggling with Verizon last year and switched to Comcast month-to-month internet for 39.99 and Youtube TV 49.99. Bought our own router b/c we were also sick of the nagging 12/month rental from verizon/comcast.
We like Youtube TV b/c of the local sports not on some of the other streaming options. The DVR feature in youtubetv is great. Add to this regular youtube and prime and we are all set for $90/month. Dropped netflix a few months ago

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:38 am

CBS All Access has all of the Star Trek series. They are still running the free month deal until 4/23 if you use the promo code "ALL". I just checked the website. I will say, their streaming capabilities leave much to be desired but free is free.

https://www.cbs.com/all-access/

A quick Google search for streaming tennis and golf without cable leads me to the below websites. I don't have any of the streaming services listed so I can't comment on any of them.

https://flixed.io/tennis-channel-without-cable/
https://flixed.io/watch-golf-channel-without-cable/

Also, check the website below to see if an antenna is a viable option.

https://www.antennaweb.org/

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:38 am

http://pluto.tv is completely free.

Antennae is likely to pick up quite a few channels, local news, few major networks

You can spend endless hours going down Youtube video rabit hole

Hulu has Star Trek https://www.hulu.com/star-trek
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:47 am

YoutubeTV + a medium tier cable internet package. Should be under $120/month, and do everything your current cable tv does, but better. It's a cable tv interface built by some of the world's best software engineers rather than a cable tv company. You get up to 5 different accounts (don't even need to live in the same location). Can record an unlimited amount of content. Can watch on any device, always having exactly the same content available.

I wouldn't even look anywhere else at the moment, frankly, unless your needs are so light that you want something much more limited for a bit less money.

Pencilskirt

Post by Pencilskirt » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:52 am

Check out Disney +/ESPN+/Hulu bundle with Hulu Live Add on.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:54 am

+1 YouTube Tv. At $50/mo, it has what you want.

JohnDindex

Post by JohnDindex » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:56 am

Youtube TV is amazing, just switched in February and saving $75 month

zimmer0

Post by zimmer0 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:59 am

I saw recently that ATT has released their streaming service, ATTtv. Beings you have ATT internet, may be worth looking into for their introductory promo price. Although, this will likely put you in a contract...not sure didnt read the fine print.

Satisfied with my Hulu Live + Netflix combo. Golf, no tennis unless on the major sports channels.

tbpt

Post by tbpt » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:12 am

OP, my wife and I cut the cord in 2010 and have never looked back. I initially thought we'd need to replace everything we were watching 1 for 1, but it turns out we ended up watching whatever we had for streaming back then, and were happy with it. Now you have a ton more options. I recommend doing the trial week or month that all the providers offer to see which interface suits you. Also, I recommend Fubo for sports like Soccer, Golf and Tennis.

Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:20 am

+1 for YoutubeTV. We've had it for six months and I can attest that it has Tennis and Golf channels. I agree with the others who gave it rave reviews.

Now let me warn you against the new ATT service. It stinks on ice! The advertised price of around $50 per month doubles in the second year and that's important because with ATT, you're stuck in a stinking two-year contract. It's like everything you didn't like about DirecTV: contracts that you can't get out without handing them your wallet. Avoid it well, like COVID-19. The ATT offering in an insult to the intelligence of consumers. NOBODY should even consider this terrible product. NO BODY.

And oh yes, YoutubeTV gets it: you can try it for a few days free. Then if you decide to keep it, you'll pay $50 plus a couple bucks tax per month. If you want to cancel it after a month, you're free to do that. And then later, if you want to sign up for another month, you can do it, keep it for a month and drop it. No penalties, no gotcha's. Very consumer-friendly.

Am I clear? YoutubeTV: Yes
AnythingATT: No

PS: Edit: And oh yes, one more thing: With Youtube TV, you can have , I believe, up to six devices using it at a time at no extra charge. With ATT, the cash register is going ka ching with every device after the first. Un - be - lievable. It's like ATT created a monster to make up for the lost revenues they expected to get from Directv. Again, their revenue model is an insult to the intelligence of consumers.
Last edited by Retired1809 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

SandysDad

Post by SandysDad » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:22 am

I switched two homes in January from overpriced comcast packages to just internet and youtubetv could not be happier.

If you don't like the $50 for YTTV, might I suggest the antennae combined with Netflix?

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:32 am

When I cut the cord I did the following
1) Antenna in the Attic + TiVo with lifetime subscription. I wouldn't do the TiVo again. Not that it's bad, it's great, but because of everything else I've added below, I find the only thing I'm recording is the local news.
2) Roku Box with subscriptions that include
- Netflix
- Amazon Prime. And within Amazon Prime, I also subscribe to Britbox and Showtime (for Homeland). I only subscribe to Showtime when a new season of Homeland starts, then I unsubscribe. Since this is the last season, that will be it.
- HBO - Previously for Game of Thrones, but now for Westworld. Again, between seasons, I unsubscribe.
- CBS All access: They now have every single Star Trek series out there, including the newer Picard and Discovery series.
- Acorn: British shows
- Plus there are a bunch of free services like the Roku Channel on Roku which has a bunch of movies, pluto, old science fiction stations, etc. Literally something for everybody.

Much more than we could possibly ever watch...

By the way, I can see where people can get confused with online streaming.
- First, everything wants to be your entertainment hub from a hardware standpoint. There's apple TV, Roku, many DVD players and gaming consoles, all of which allow you to subscribe to individual content from content providers.
- Then, within some content providers, like Amazon Prime or the Roku channel, you can subscribe to additional content like Britbox, Showtime, etc. There's usually no difference in price between directly subscribing to, say Showtime, vs. subscribing to it within another content provider. The advantage is that it's all in one place (pretty minor advantage, IMO), and the user interface is often quite different from what you get if you just subscribe directly.

Cheers.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:34 am

Antenna: Use a really good Antenna (mine was $200) and it will pay for itself quickly. I actually got two,
one for each TV, as splitting caused some dropout on low signal to noise ratio channels.

Netflix: Has all 4 Star Treks from broadcast TV: STOS, NetGen, Deep Space 9, Voyager I think mine is $12/mo or 2 HD HD streams.

CBS All Access: Star Trek Discovery and Picard, plus watching some older shows and current season of new shows.
$5.99/mo with commercials after first month free.

Note that streaming may cause you to hit your data cap, so you may need to up your cable subscription. I have not yet, but have gone over the datacap a few months since my wife stopped working.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:37 am

onourway wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:47 am
YoutubeTV + a medium tier cable internet package. Should be under $120/month, and do everything your current cable tv does, but better. It's a cable tv interface built by some of the world's best software engineers rather than a cable tv company. You get up to 5 different accounts (don't even need to live in the same location). Can record an unlimited amount of content. Can watch on any device, always having exactly the same content available.

I wouldn't even look anywhere else at the moment, frankly, unless your needs are so light that you want something much more limited for a bit less money.
+1

Add a new Fire TV Cube from Amazon (one time expense).

$50 for YouTube TV is pretty solid. Easy interface, great DVR. Good channel list. Internet should be $50-$60 for 100mb download. Verify your data cap (amount you can use)

Also, you should have a good router. 1 port Google Wifi should work for a normal sized home.

Should save $60-$70/month.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

22twain

Post by 22twain » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:06 am

bhwabeck3533 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:42 am
old TV reruns (specifically original Star Trek series)
If you have decent OTA reception with an antenna, the local network stations probably have some subchannels that specialize in that sort of thing. My local NBC station has MeTV, which carries Star Trek (original series) and many other '60s series.

https://www.metv.com/shows/

There are similar channels scattered among my other local stations.
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!

SpaethCo

Post by SpaethCo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:41 am

onourway wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:47 am

Exactly this.

Hulu is missing the Tennis channel, and you have to pay extra to be able to skip commercials on the DVR.

SlingTV requires a $30 base pack + $10 sports pack to get the Tennis channel, and the streams are 30 frames per second. Sling is also missing most local channels.

YoutubeTV has Golf, Tennis, local networks (including PBS), all at 60 frames per second. Recordings are saved for up to 9 months, and you can build a Netflix-like catalog of shows you like to watch. We have "House Hunters" added to our library, and because of how HGTV cycles through new and rerun airings of shows like that we basically have a complete catalog of the last 10 seasons to watch if we want.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:49 am

windaar wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:55 am
Look into Sling and put an antenna in the attic. That will get just about everything but cable news.
Not sure why you say "everything but cable news," as Sling has CNN, MSNBC, and Fox.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:48 am

JohnDindex wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:56 am
I like it too. Quite functional.

beergod

Post by beergod » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:13 am

We've had FuboTV for a couple of years now, I get it for cable channels (read trashy Bravo reality shows), movies and the cycling add on

Standard FuboTV is $54.99 and comes w/ most cable channels + NBC Golf, 30 hrs of DVR space

There is a Sports Plus with NFL RedZone ADD-ON for $10.99 that includes Tennis Channel

If you record series a lot and don't keep up with deleting watched shows, then you may want the Cloud DVR Plus that increases DVR to 500 hrs for $9.99

The other upside for Fubo for us is that often we'll get Chase or Amex Offers & Benefits where we'll get back $10, $15 or $20 if I pay with said credit cards. For example until May, I get $20 back for spending $40 on Fubo up to 3 times. Deals don't happen all the time, but at least once or twice per year for the past year and a half.

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:15 am

Retired1809 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:20 am
+1 for YoutubeTV. We've had it for six months and I can attest that it has Tennis and Golf channels. I agree with the others who gave it rave reviews.

Now let me warn you against the new ATT service. It stinks on ice! The advertised price of around $50 per month doubles in the second year and that's important because with ATT, you're stuck in a stinking two-year contract. It's like everything you didn't like about DirecTV: contracts that you can't get out without handing them your wallet. Avoid it well, like COVID-19. The ATT offering in an insult to the intelligence of consumers. NOBODY should even consider this terrible product. NO BODY.

And oh yes, YoutubeTV gets it: you can try it for a few days free. Then if you decide to keep it, you'll pay $50 plus a couple bucks tax per month. If you want to cancel it after a month, you're free to do that. And then later, if you want to sign up for another month, you can do it, keep it for a month and drop it. No penalties, no gotcha's. Very consumer-friendly.

Am I clear? YoutubeTV: Yes
AnythingATT: No

PS: Edit: And oh yes, one more thing: With Youtube TV, you can have , I believe, up to six devices using it at a time at no extra charge. With ATT, the cash register is going ka ching with every device after the first. Un - be - lievable. It's like ATT created a monster to make up for the lost revenues they expected to get from Directv. Again, their revenue model is an insult to the intelligence of consumers.
What are you talking about?

I started with DirecTV Now (streaming...NOT satellite) which ATT bought and is now ATT Now for streaming

There is no contract, I can cancel anytime.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:01 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:48 am
JohnDindex wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:56 am
I like it too. Quite functional.

ETA: youtubetv + Netflix + amazon prime + internet works quite well for me while living away from home.

SpaethCo

Post by SpaethCo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:33 pm

BBQ Nut wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:15 am

I started with DirecTV Now (streaming...NOT satellite) which ATT bought and is now ATT Now for streaming

ATT has multiple streaming properties. It’s a mess. Below are just the ATT TV variants, not to even mix in all the HBO Go/NOW/MAX variants they’re working on.

https://www.attwatchtv.com ATT WatchTV is the service they launched in accordance with the Time Warner merger conditions. (handful of channels for $15/mo)

https://www.atttvnow.com ATT TV Now is the former DIRECTV NOW. This service has an uncertain future as they recently launched ATT TV. The current packages (Plus and Max) are missing key networks like A&E/Lifetime/History, and you have to go to the $80 “Max” package to get Golf & Tennis.

https://www.att.com/tv/ ATT TV is the service that ATT is currently pushing in their retail stores and in advertising. You get an underpowered AndroidTV box with a remote that has a numeric keypad, expanded DVR functionality, and you can pause and rewind live TV as long as you use their box. The service has a 2 year contract, and monthly prices nearly double in the 2nd year. You also get billed a separate Regional Sports Network fee.
Last edited by SpaethCo on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:36 pm

SpaethCo wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:33 pm
BBQ Nut wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:15 am

ATT has multiple streaming properties. It’s a mess. Below are just the ATT TV variants, not to even mix in all the HBO Go/NOW/MAX variants they’re working on.

ATT WatchTV is the service they launched in accordance with the Time Warner merger conditions. (handful of channels for $15/mo)

ATT TV Now is the former DIRECTV NOW. This service has an uncertain future as they recently launched ATT TV.

https://www.att.com/tv/ ATT TV is the service that ATT is currently pushing in their retail stores and in advertising. You get an underpowered AndroidTV box with a remote that has a numeric keypad, expanded DVR functionality, and you can pause and rewind live TV as long as you use their box. The service has a 2 year contract, and monthly prices nearly double in the 2nd year. You also get billed a separate Regional Sports Network fee.
Whatever about the 'mess' - same could be said of Spectrum or any number of streaming services with multiple packages/tiers/etc

All I know is that with ATT Now, is that it has one of the better user interfaces, the basic package has a vg channel lineup, and is not contract based.

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:45 pm

I've been bouncing between services as offers pop up on my credit cards for $X off of $Y spend with them. I'm currently back with Sling Blue after I dropped them last year when they lost the local Fox Sports channels. With no sports at the moment that is irrelevant. I just cancelled CBS All Access (Amex promo ran out) which is good for Star Trek and several old sitcoms, but not much else. Had Youtube TV and Fubo for a couple months each also. Truthfully I watch over antenna most of the time. H&I (sub channel to FOX affiliate here) runs five hours of Star Trek six nights a week (Original, NG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise) starting at 8PM.

You will find several places on the internet where articles do a comparison of the services. Here is one: https://clark.com/technology/tvsatellit ... el-lineup/ That one doesn't include Fubo so you may want to go as far as building a spreadsheet.

I printed one out and ran though with a highlighter to mark must have and like to have channels. Fubo and Youtube pretty much tied for me. I liked Fubo's interface better but I believe it is a bit more expensive. They do have the most sports (lots of soccer) with specialized add ons.

Also investigate using a VPN to watch foreign channels if what you want to watch is over the air in other countries. I like Rugby but NBC Sports was charging a fortune for the now postponed Six Nations tournament. I found that with my VPN that costs about $3 a month I can connect to a server in Dublin and watch the Irish feed through the Virgin Media Player. I just plug the laptop into the TV HDMI input and stream it that way since my Roku players/TVs don't support VPN, nor does my router (which is a major pain to set up anyway).

Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:47 pm

BBQ Nut:

Don't confuse AT&T TV with AT&T Now.

"AT&T Now" is the name of the product that AT&T created to marhsall their old DirecTV customers into. It's been around for a couple of years. AT&T has stopped marketing DirecTV. They have already ended support for their DirecTV Standard (non-HD) service.

"AT&T TV" is the new product aimed at competing with the likes of youtubeTV. This is the one that requires a two-year contract. It's an entirely different product from "AT&T Now."

To me, AT&T is an example of a directionless organization. First, they spent billions to buy an obsolete DirecTV. And then they too quickly created a streaming service, AT&T Now, that hasn't been successful in the marketplace. And just months ago, they created yet another streaming service, "AT&T TV" that, to me, is inferior to YoutubeTV and requires a two-year contract and upcharges for viewing more than one device (TV, laptop, smartphone, tablet, etc).

Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:48 pm

BBQ Nut:

Don't confuse AT&T TV with AT&T Now.

"AT&T Now" is the name of the product that AT&T created to marhsall their old DirecTV customers into. It's been around for a couple of years. AT&T has stopped marketing DirecTV. They have already ended support for their DirecTV Standard (non-HD) service.

"AT&T TV" is the new product aimed at competing with the likes of youtubeTV. This is the one that requires a two-year contract. It's an entirely different product from "AT&T Now."

To me, AT&T is an example of a directionless organization. First, they spent billions to buy an obsolete DirecTV. And then they too quickly created a streaming service, AT&T Now, that hasn't been successful in the marketplace. And just months ago, they created yet another streaming service, "AT&T TV" that, to me, is inferior to YoutubeTV and requires a two-year contract and upcharges for viewing more than one device (TV, laptop, smartphone, tablet, etc).

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:49 pm

I like TV re-runs, sports, and news.

YouTube TV fits the bill for us. Give it a shot!

cs412a

Post by cs412a » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:58 pm

fizxman wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:38 am
CBS All Access has all of the Star Trek series. They are still running the free month deal until 4/23 if you use the promo code "ALL". I just checked the website. I will say, their streaming capabilities leave much to be desired but free is free.https://www.cbs.com/all-access/
+1 for CBS All Access

I subscribe to CBS All Access ($6.95/month w/commercials) so that I can watch reruns of Perry Mason (typically I watch one episode per evening). The series has aged well, I think - I grew up in the 50s, so it's a blast from the past for me and I enjoy seeing the cars, suits, etc. from that time period as well as the show itself. And since this show is from the 50s and early 60s, there aren't actually any commercials. Interesting to see the difference between TV then and now - there were so many more episodes per season, and commercial slots were shorter, so the shows run for 50+ minutes. Currently on season 4.

Originally I was planning on cancelling after I finished that series, but now I plan to watch other shows - e.g., the different Star Trek series and MacGyver - we'll see how well the latter has aged.

I also have a rabbit-ears antenna for broadcast access. You can actually get quite a few channels for free. However, I'm not that big on TV, so generally I only watch the 3 local PBS channels.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:12 pm

Antenna plus Chromcast and Youtube TV.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain

MidMNtom

Post by MidMNtom » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:19 pm

I cut the cable a few years ago. I've tried Hulu and Sling for a few months at a time.
I'm with youtube TV right now and it is by far the best value.

It has the most content and the best interface by far for about $50/mo.including 6 tv's and DVR's.

It also has local programming even though I also have roof antenna.

We are Amazon prime members, so some other unusual shows can be found there too.

Best of luck to you!

_Soundwave_

Post by _Soundwave_ » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:36 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:54 am
+1 YouTube Tv. At $50/mo, it has what you want.
For the most part yes. I switched from DirecTV and I’m paying substantially less per month.

My setup is YouTubeTV, Amazon Prime Video, and Netflix. I’m not missing anything sports wise, and I don’t feel like I’ve “lost” anything.

I could give up Netflix as well without feeling like I was missing something.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:31 pm

There are sites that let you pick the channels you want and tell you what streaming service has it. I used one, but am reluctant to endorse it as Google can show you many such sites. I have YouTube Tv and am very happy with it. Not perfect, but works very well and has almost all I want. In fact, I could eliminate 80% of the channels and not miss them.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:52 pm

During the last economic downturn, I canceled cable, installed an antenna and over-the-air Tivo, and adjusted to consuming less media. My area has all the major networks, plus many independent networks, available over-the-air. The Tivo lets me record things to watch later. The only other thing I pay for is Amazon Prime, and occasionally a month or two on another streaming service if there's a specific show I want to watch that's only available there. I really don't find that I'm missing much with this setup.

chipperd

Post by chipperd » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:02 pm

We have golf and tennis channels on Youtube tv . I do believe that channel availability on Youtube tv does vary by market.

rj49

Post by rj49 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:44 pm

You can look at golf or tennis channels on an ipad streaming app or on Roku or Apple TV. I know the NFL has their own app for replaying games, which I subscribed to, since it meant no commercials and I could watch the game replay later in half the time. If you have a friend or relative with xfinity, you might be able to borrow their account access to stream live tv on an xfinity streaming app (many sports only available in the subscriber's house). I share my mother's account with my sister to occasionally get some network show without having to pay for the other thousand channels.

I have a Roku and get overwhelmed by the choice of Netflix or Amazon Prime, especially with all the tv series to get sucked into. I get Kanopy through my local library, which streams movies, educational courses, travel/art shows, and language courses; your library might have that and other free streaming resources. It also probably has DVDs of classic tv programs, which makes it easy to watch without commercials, and plenty of movies to borrow for free. I alternate between library streaming and DVDs, and then subscribe to the Criterion Channel for classic movies. I hate all the complexity and choice of cable and mainstream streaming channels, particularly paying someone for cable channels but still being bombarded by commercials.

For those who really want to save money by unplugging, I found out by chance that Xfinity offers a $10 internet essentials plan for veterans and military retirees, without taxes or equipment rental fees.

Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:57 pm

I’ve never had any type of cable TV service, so I cannot compare to that, but $180/mo for internet and video entertainment is much more than we’ve ever spent. Currently, we are at $65/mo for Internet (100Mbps download, 50Mbps upload). Netflix I think is up to $12/mo. Streaming movies from local library is free and streaming PBS is free with a local membership. Small, indoor digital TV antenna captures all of the local broadcast media (~15 channels including the major network side bands. Even get the FM public radio news programs audio broadcasts as a bonus side band of the PBS channel). Edit: noticed your avatar is an outline of the upper peninsula of Michigan, so possibly not as many local channel resources. Still I believe you can stream PBS content plus Netflix for a combined nominal cost.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.

Roadhog

Post by Roadhog » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:07 pm

Cut the cable from Frontier Communications as to TV and landline. Kept internet (50/50) for ~$50/month. Added YouTube TV and love it for ~$55/mo. Get everything we need - local channels, sports, news. Can record and fast forward/rewind. No contract. Saves about $150/mo. Have talked several friends into doing the same thing. One of my children also followed suit. Convinced this is the wave of the future.

Piehole

Post by Piehole » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:14 pm

We've tried four or five different streaming services. For us it came down to user interface. Youtube TV seemed like the easiest to use, quite happy so far.
"Everything we want, is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

valleyrock

Post by valleyrock » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:57 pm

We use a Roku, with Netflix, Prime, and Hulu TV. Also really like MHZ Choice (international, with subtitles). A loop antenna brings in networks and PBS, although we time shift PBS with our membership and the Roku. Roku has some interesting channels, like Univ of California TV, with great talks, etc. Also Twit TV on the Roku is fun if you like technology talk and podcasts.

ipabrewer

Post by ipabrewer » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:17 pm

I am using Youtube TV for Tennis channel. It also has golf channel. I think Youtube TV is the only major streaming tv service that has Tennis channel in the default grid, at least that was the case when I checked last time. Also use OTA antenna for local channels, even though you can get the major local ones on Youtube TV (based on zip code). We use Netflix also.

Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:03 pm

I just got a new Roku TV and am loving it so much that I am about to get rid of my Xfinity boxes and just use their internet. We already were paying for Netflix and Amazon Prime so have all that content. Trying out Hulu off sister's account and it has a LOT of content, and at $6 a month I will likely sign up. Kids like Disney+ so may also do that.

As to the "antenna channels" I found this great thing called LOCAST. If you live in one of the 17 cities currently covered, it is a FREE service and streams all the same HD channels you would pick up over the air anyway. So now I don't need to buy an antenna and stick it over on my wall somewhere, and one less cord to string around the room. https://www.locast.org/

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:13 pm

windaar wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:55 am
You have a strange definition of everything.

Netflix streaming, HBO streaming, Amazon streaming, Disney streaming....that's not from an antenna.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP