GOOD RX...What Is It?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

GOOD RX...What Is It?

Post by Leesbro63 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:25 am

What is "Good Rx"? Is it something that really saves you money, or is it some sort of gimmick that really doesn't? A friend of mine, on a Medicare Advantage plan, said it really saves him money on prescriptions, but it's not clear to me if this is an across the board thing, in general.

HomeStretch

Re: GOOD RX...What Is It?

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:38 am

Did you check out the GoodRX website?

I use it and find it helpful. I used their price comparison tool and learned Walmart has a long list of commonly prescribed generics for $4/30 day supply and $10/90 day supply. I switched my generic RX to Walmart where I pay cash. Much cheaper than going through my insurance at CVS where I paid $25 RX copay and insurer paid $5 so $30/90 day supply.

There are also manufacturer coupons accepted by retail pharmacies available at GoodRX for many brand name RX that I have used to save $ while still using my EX insurance. I don’t believe this option is available to Medicare patients.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:44 am

They independently negotiate with drug wholesalers and have integrated an app and website to search for the best negotiated price. In some cases (not all), there negotiated price is cheaper than my employer provided health plan. We keep a list so we know “this one goes through insurance, this one goes through GoodRx.

In one case, a prescription through insurance is over $70 while it is $22 through GoodRx.

J45

Post by J45 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:45 am

Always ask a medication's price without insurance. Some meds are much cheaper without insurance.

Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:45 am

I use Good Rx for a prescription, and it is cheaper thru them.
Be aware not all prescriptions are cheaper.

I use "Well RX" a similar type free plan that saves me a good deal more on one other prescription than Good Rx does.
Compare both for your prescriptions.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:52 am

Another I just used is https://rxsaver.retailmenot.com
found out about it here https://clark.com/health-health-care/re ... t-rxsaver/
while checking on goodrx

It saved about $11 more than goodrx. We've used goodrx many times for prescriptions not covered by our plan formulary.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:58 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:25 am
What is "Good Rx"? Is it something that really saves you money, or is it some sort of gimmick that really doesn't? A friend of mine, on a Medicare Advantage plan, said it really saves him money on prescriptions, but it's not clear to me if this is an across the board thing, in general.
After you sign up for GoodRx and get a membership card, but it is not a requirement to sign up to use it.
Go to the GoodRx site and print out coupon for your Rx and the pharmacy you are using. Take that to P/U your Rx. If it is cheaper than your insurance, product discounts, etc, the pharmacy will use the GoodRx coupon. Be sure to remind the pharmacy to use whatever is the cheapest.

DW and I have excellent supplementals/drug coverage, etc.
But, the Good Rx coupons have helped as well.

Prices can vary per pharmacy so look that up as well. IE: CVS, Wallmart, Safeway, etc.

j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:19 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
I wrote a long response but lost it when we lost power :oops:

Quick answer, yes, it is useful. I recently saved $60 on my three-month refill of meds (though I have health insurance!). And I would have saved $30 on the Zpack - from the same pharmacy and vis-a-vis price with insurance, no less - back in January, had I remembered to check goodrx!!

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:52 am

Odd, our old local pharmacy (A) does not take goodRx. I just checked them using rxsaver. They're listed there. While looking at their rxsaver price I saw that the chain pharmacy (B) we're using was also listed when I look in the same (A) zip code, but the price given was different than if I use the (B) zip code. Same (B) physical store. The actual distance between zip codes is about 5 miles.
Looks like rxsaver pricing may be zip code dependent even in the same state and small radius for the same physical store.

AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:03 am

There is also Singlecare. I haven't used any of these yet. If I have to print a coupon then I can't because I don't have a printer.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:20 am

Another option is Costco. Their street prices are often lower than the insurance contract rates. For example, $11 at big store pharmacy, $1.50 at Costco for a common generic using Medicare Rx plan. Name brands somewhat cheaper at Costco, not to the same degree as generics.

Negative - poor for "now" drugs, as its usually is next day pickup.

They have mail order available, but I've never used it.

I hear Walmart is just as good as Costco.

Edit to add
Under whse pickup on their website, they have a price lookup.

brandy

Post by brandy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:04 am

Does using these coupons affect your health insurance? Will my ability to use my insurance to get drugs be compromised or eliminated?

triggertreat

Post by triggertreat » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:15 am

brandy wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:04 am
Does using these coupons affect your health insurance? Will my ability to use my insurance to get drugs be compromised or eliminated?
You cant combine GoodRX and your prescription plan.Have them check the GoodRX price against your plan and choose which one to run it through. It does not compromise your insurance plan coverage.Per the Goodrx site check the 4th topic.

https://support.goodrx.com/hc/en-us

triggertreat

Post by triggertreat » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:23 am

GoodRX also works in partnership with Kroger. I signed up for the cheapest Part D I could find to not get a penalty and enrolled in the Kroger plan for 36.00/year.Even paying the part D cost and the 36.00 for Kroger my yearly med cost is about 1/2 what it would cost running it through my Part D.YMMV..

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:34 am

My experience with GoodRX wasn't that great. I didn't have medical insurance at the time. I went to buy my two meds. One med wasn't offering a discount. It took the clerk 45 minutes to navigate the system to give me $3 off my other med. Meh.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:10 pm

RetiredAL wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:20 am
Another option is Costco. Their street prices are often lower than the insurance contract rates. For example, $11 at big store pharmacy, $1.50 at Costco for a common generic using Medicare Rx plan. Name brands somewhat cheaper at Costco, not to the same degree as generics.

Negative - poor for "now" drugs, as its usually is next day pickup.

They have mail order available, but I've never used it.

Edit to add
Under whse pickup on their website, they have a price lookup.
Thanks. I'm a big Costco fan. I just checked two Rx at Costco online. One had no pricing, only drug information. The other pricing (generic) is OK,lower than my insurance but more than 3x a goodRx coupon price I actually used recently at Costco: Costco online price 30 tabs/$39; goodRx at Costco $32/90 tabs (3 month price).

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:11 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:58 am
Leesbro63 wrote:
After you sign up for GoodRx and get a membership card.
Go to the GoodRx site and print out coupon for your Rx and the pharmacy you are using. Take that to P/U your Rx. If it is cheaper than your insurance, product discounts, etc, the pharmacy will use the GoodRx coupon. Be sure to remind the pharmacy to use whatever is the cheapest.

Prices can vary per pharmacy so look that up as well. IE: CVS, Wallmart, Safeway, etc.

You don’t need to signup for GoodRx to use goodrx. Just download the app. Search for you meds for pricing. Then compare with your own insurer to see which is cheaper. They don’t stack.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:18 pm

seawolf21 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:11 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:58 am
Leesbro63 wrote:
After you sign up for GoodRx and get a membership card.

You don’t need to signup for GoodRx to use goodrx. Just download the app. Search for you meds for pricing. Then compare with your own insurer to see which is cheaper. They don’t stack.
Corrected.
Thanks.
DW did get their card. I have the card # in the records at the pharmacy.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:20 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:44 am
They independently negotiate with drug wholesalers and have integrated an app and website to search for the best negotiated price. In some cases (not all), there negotiated price is cheaper than my employer provided health plan. We keep a list so we know “this one goes through insurance, this one goes through GoodRx.

In one case, a prescription through insurance is over $70 while it is $22 through GoodRx.
This happened to me as well. It was a pleasant surprise.

Dinosaur Dad

Post by Dinosaur Dad » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:41 pm

For what it's worth...also check out Blink for prescriptions. We found it less expensive than GoodRx.
"Take calculated risks - that is quite different from being rash." | General George S. Patton

djthedj

Post by djthedj » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:52 pm

GoodRx collects prices and discounts at pharmacies across the US. Also offers online doctor visits now too.

Blink doesn't work at CVS or Walgreens.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:54 pm

When possible I use mail order. The prices are OK.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:56 pm

We use GoodRx for our dog's meds, and I did use it for one of mine, getting half the price my Plan D wanted. Its work checking.

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:05 pm

GoodRX and similar companies are great for reference pricing. I'm also thankful for Costco generally having great pharmacy pricing on many items. My main recommendation when I talk with people about drug pricing is to do a little research on your own for pricing, and don't feel like you are boxed in as to where you fill your medications. Just because you have always gone to the same store in town to get your meds doesn't mean you need to do that next time. Just because your doctor or prescriber tells you to pick up the drug in the pharmacy near the lobby doesn't mean you have to do it there. Many states allow prescriptions to be portable and filled where you want to. You might be able to fill your medications at a different place for massively lower cost. It pays to be informed, and GoodRX is just one easy to use information source.
Bonus tip:. Check pricing in different delivery formats. We had some pet meds where the savings was over $100 on each refill by getting the same drug but looking on pricing between capsule versus tablet. Same drug, massive price difference!

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:35 pm

I have used GoodRx for a decent amount of savings. I also paid for the Kroger Savings program (I think $30-$40 per year) as it paid off doing the math. The biggest thing is knowing what each option costs. I have insurance, Kroger/Rx and then there are there are 3rd parties like GoodRx. The pharmacy will not tell you which is cheapest. I have to ask them to re-run prescriptions which my insurance wants to charge $20 and the Kroger plan charges $3 for. Aggravating.

Chin00k

Post by Chin00k » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:36 pm

I first used GoodRx back in 2013 after we filled a prescription for our dog at CVS that cost $83 for a 90-day supply. The GoodRx price was $8.65 for 90 days. That was an eye opener.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:47 pm

I have two inexpensive medicines and on expensive. THe inexpensive drugs I get free with my Part D plan but the expensive one I get with a Good RX coupon. And I am able to check which is cheapest each time I go for it at my local CVS. Good Rx usually saves me a lot.

Mr.Wu

Post by Mr.Wu » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:18 pm

I used Good RX for generic tamiflu. The insurance price was $130 and Good RX price was $60 for one week's supply. The catch is it won't count towards my annual deductible. But who cares when you can save this much.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:47 am

J45 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:45 am
Always ask a medication's price without insurance. Some meds are much cheaper without insurance.
Sorry, but this just isn't true. An insurance copay can never be higher than the cash price of the drug.
RetiredAL wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:20 am
It depends on the drug. We are higher than Costco on some drugs, lower on others. Best to check both. But, in general, your best bet is a major retailer or wholesaler club. We aren't as dependent on sales/profit as the stand-alone pharmacies and so can be more competitive, specifically on OTC products.
brandy wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:04 am
No, not even in split-bill scenarios. But for seniors here, it's not even possible to dual-bill a government-issued insurance plan (Medicare, Tricare etc) with any coupon program, including GoodRx.
djthedj wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:52 pm
GoodRx collects prices and discounts at pharmacies across the US.
Keep in mind that pharmacy pricing changes frequently, and GoodRx isn't connected to our software programs. It's common for GoodRx to "quote" you a price at a specific pharmacy, but for your actual price to vary from that quote by a few bucks. Please don't freak out on us when this happens. You're still saving a bunch of money by just doing a few clicks.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:47 am

Loik098 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:47 am
J45 wrote:
Sorry, but this just isn't true. An insurance copay can never be higher than the cash price of the drug.
Yes, it is true. I have a $20 co-pay for generics and there are dozens if not hundreds of drugs where 30 pills costs less than $20. I wouldn't be paying for a Kroger RX Savings card and looking at GoodRx if what you are saying is true.

"Should You Pay Cash for Your Prescription?
You might reasonably assume you’ll pay less for a drug with insurance. You might be wrong."
https://health.usnews.com/health-care/p ... escription

"Why a patient paid a $285 copay for a $40 drug"
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/why ... -a-40-drug

"GoodRx Beats Insurance Copays 37% of the Time for Top Drugs"
https://www.goodrx.com/blog/prescriptio ... ce-copays/

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:21 am

FelixTheCat wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:34 am
My experience with GoodRX wasn't that great. I didn't have medical insurance at the time. I went to buy my two meds. One med wasn't offering a discount. It took the clerk 45 minutes to navigate the system to give me $3 off my other med. Meh.
My understanding is that GoodRX is entered into the pharmacy's system as if it's patient insurance. If true, you got an inept employee.

Also, sorry, but 45 minutes sounds like an extreme exaggeration. Surely someone would reach out to a colleague/supervisor/manager after 4 or 5 minutes, and if s/he didn't, I'm back to my original point about ineptitude.

I wouldn't write off an entire prescription program because you encountered one employee at one pharmacy who didn't know his/her way around the computer.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:01 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:47 am
Loik098 wrote:
J45 wrote:
Yes, it is true. I have a $20 co-pay for generics and there are dozens if not hundreds of drugs where 30 pills costs less than $20. I wouldn't be paying for a Kroger RX Savings card and looking at GoodRx if what you are saying is true.

You might reasonably assume you’ll pay less for a drug with insurance. You might be wrong."

The 2013 USC study many of these types of articles cite is quite old now, and much has since been done about it.

The practice of clawbacks and gag orders have received attention at both the federal and state levels over the past few years, and is now considered illegal in most states. See: the "Know the Lowest Price Act" and "Patient's Right to Know Drug Prices Act" for federal bills. At least 33 states also have similar legislation, at least as of a year ago. It could be more now.

If you still see these practices still happening in your state, I'd suggest you lobby your legislators to get with the program. It might also be to your benefit to ensure your chosen pharmacy's software program doesn't allow for clawbacks.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:12 am

Loik098 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:01 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Loik098 wrote:
J45 wrote:

The 2013 USC study many of these types of articles cite is quite old now, and much has since been done about it.

The practice of clawbacks and gag orders have received attention at both the federal and state levels over the past few years, and is now considered illegal in most states. See: the "Know the Lowest Price Act" and "Patient's Right to Know Drug Prices Act" for federal bills. At least 33 states also have similar legislation, at least as of a year ago. It could be more now.

If you still see these practices still happening in your state, I'd suggest you lobby your legislators to get with the program. It might also be to your benefit to ensure your chosen pharmacy's software program doesn't allow for clawbacks.
Those laws listed make it illegal to prohibit a pharmacist from telling you about a lower cash price. They do not force the pharmacist to tell you. They do nothing with regard to 3rd party saving plans.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:41 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:12 am
Loik098 wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
Loik098 wrote:
J45 wrote:

Those laws listed make it illegal to prohibit a pharmacist from telling you about a lower cash price. They do not force the pharmacist to tell you. They do nothing with regard to 3rd party saving plans.
You overlooked the term, "clawbacks", and the actions many states have taken to prohibit them. If a clawback is illegal, then a gag order is pretty much a moot point. This information is out of date, but see here for data related to state legislation: https://www.ncsl.org/research/health/pb ... ation.aspx

Moreover, and to ensure this thread isn't derailed further, if you've personally experienced the practice of clawbacks first-hand in your state, it behooves you to examine your state's laws and pharmacy's practices to ensure it isn't still happening.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:54 am

Loik098 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:41 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:12 am
Loik098 wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
Loik098 wrote:

You overlooked the term, "clawbacks", and the actions many states have taken to prohibit them. If a clawback is illegal, then a gag order is pretty much a moot point. This information is out of date, but see here for data related to state legislation: https://www.ncsl.org/research/health/pb ... ation.aspx

Moreover, and to ensure this thread isn't derailed further, if you've personally experienced the practice of clawbacks first-hand in your state, it behooves you to examine your state's laws and pharmacy's practices to ensure it isn't still happening.
PBM clawbacks are legal in my state therefore your original assertion that this doesn't happen is incorrect. The article you provided states "There are at least 20 states which have enacted "anti co-pay clawback" provisions". The article is less than a year old.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:06 am

J45 wrote:
And vice versa. My latest example was $38 without, $6 with (the whole price, since I haven't hit the deductible).
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:15 pm

Around here, a number of veterinarians also accept Good RX for animal prescriptions -- which your health insurance certainly won't pay for.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee

Lemonaid56

Post by Lemonaid56 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:27 am

Wife is Pharmacist and they use it at their pharmacy to help customers w prices. We have used it also. No issues with it yet.