Tipping in new reality?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Pomegranate

Tipping in new reality?

Post by Pomegranate » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:24 pm

More more folks are using grocery delivery services. How much so you tip there :confused Just read an article regarding instacart with the following comment -
"Customers, too need to understand that it is their responsibility to tip drivers at least 15% of their total order - and that's under normal circumstances. So, if a driver delivers a $100 sushi order to your Rancho Santa Fe mansion, tipping less than $15 is unacceptable. "

tooluser

Re: Tipping in new reality?

Post by tooluser » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:28 pm

You should always tip as much or as little as you feel is appropriate.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:29 pm

As a former pizza delivery driver when I was college, I'm pretty generous with my delivery tips because I know what it's like.

I don't think this is a new reality.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

student

Post by student » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:31 pm

The comment is from a delivery person or the company? I have never used this service before so I would not know. However, I would think that one should tip more at this time. I have used doordash before but only as pickup orders.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:34 pm

Pomegranate wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:24 pm
More more folks are using grocery delivery services. How much so you tip there :confused Just read an article regarding instacart with the following comment -
"Customers, too need to understand that it is their responsibility to tip drivers at least 15% of their total order - and that's under normal circumstances. So, if a driver delivers a $100 sushi order to your Rancho Santa Fe mansion, tipping less than $15 is unacceptable. "
Do you know who wrote the article? $15 to deliver $100 sushi seem high. In a restaurant a waiter service us the whole time, yet a driver than deliver my meal in much shorter time should get the same %?

I agreed with "You should always tip as much or as little as you feel is appropriate."

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:35 pm

Will do good wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:34 pm
Pomegranate wrote:
Do you know who wrote the article? $15 to deliver $100 sushi seem high. In a restaurant a waiter service us the whole time, yet a driver than deliver my meal in much shorter time should get the same %?

I agreed with "You should always tip as much or as little as you feel is appropriate."
I tip $5 for delivery whether I get a pizza or sushi. I don't know why I'd tip more for 2 people's worth of food. If I get like a catering platter I'd tip more, but 1 bag/box of food gets $5.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:36 pm

Here's a summary of instacart delivery fees I'm aware of:

~10% markup on grocery prices
- 5% service fee
- 5% base tip
- $3.99 delivery fee

That is a LOT of markup and plenty to compensate a delivery person. That's $64 in fees on a $300 grocery order. It's up to Instacart and the shoppers to divide that out fairly. I think expecting the tip to increase from 5% > 15% is a asking a lot from customers. If that's expected, I'll just use curbside pickup and save a lot of money.
Last edited by ClevrChico on Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carne_asada

Post by carne_asada » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:40 pm

I'm tipping way more generously to delivery drivers. What was previously a side-gig for many drivers is now likely their only source of income. An extra 10 or 15 dollars doesn't mean much to me but it can go a long way to help support some one struggling to pay the bills. Not to mention they are putting their health at risk while I stay indoors.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:41 pm

I'm tipping much more at locally owned places I want to be in business when this is over. Much more.

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:44 pm

ClevrChico wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:36 pm

- 5% service fee
- 5% base tip
- $3.99 delivery fee

That is a LOT of markup and plenty to compensate a delivery person. That's $64 in fees on a $300 grocery order. It's up to Instacart and the shoppers to divide that out fairly. I think expecting the tip to increase from 5% > 15% is a asking a lot from customers. If that's expected, I'll just use curbside pickup and save a lot of money.
I've never used Instacart before and with fees like that I don't think I ever will. If their fees are this high then asking that % on a tip is ridiculous.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:52 pm

wootwoot wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:44 pm
ClevrChico wrote:

- 5% service fee
- 5% base tip
- $3.99 delivery fee

I've never used Instacart before and with fees like that I don't think I ever will. If their fees are this high then asking that % on a tip is ridiculous.
To be clear, Instacart's default tip is 5%. It's the articles promoting tipping culture with the higher suggested amounts.

Instacart does throw out a lot of promos, which does make the fees more reasonable.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:09 pm

What is new about this reality? Are you suggesting that since more people are using delivery the drivers have more work and don't need big tips? They are taking more risk and should get bigger tips? You could have just posted "How do Bogleheads feel about tipping" because that's what you're going to get if you're not more specific with your question. You're probably getting that anyway.
ClevrChico wrote:

- 5% service fee
- 5% base tip
- $3.99 delivery fee

That is a LOT of markup and plenty to compensate a delivery person.
Plenty to compensate if they wanted to, but they don't. Do the delivery people get anything besides the 5% and whatever you add?

Since I feel very strongly about it, I'll type what I type into all these threads. You can afford to tip a little more than the bare minimum or baseline expectation. It means a heck of a lot more to the driver than it does to almost every Boglehead. How you feel about the system in general truly doesn't matter one bit. If you truly can't afford it, and truly need delivery for some reason--too risky to leave the house right now--that might be a different story.
Last edited by mega317 on Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:12 pm

mega317 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:09 pm
You can afford to tip a little more than the bare minimum or baseline expectation. It means a heck of a lot more to the driver than it does to almost every Boglehead. If you truly can't afford it, and truly need delivery for some reason--too risky to leave the house right now--that might be a different story.
+1
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP

cncm

Post by cncm » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:21 pm

We've been tipping minimum 30% for food/grocery deliveries. In normal times, we'd tip 20% but these are not normal times. We can afford it and if we can help these essential workers then we should.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:28 pm

Some Instacart and Amazon workers went on strike this afternoon.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/30/82376749 ... ction-and-

Some Amazon warehouse workers in Staten Island, N.Y., and Instacart's grocery delivery workers nationwide walked off their jobs on Monday. They are demanding stepped-up protection and pay as they continue to work while much of the country is asked to isolate as a safeguard against the coronavirus.

student

Post by student » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:30 pm

Regarding tipping, I like to reference Emily Post. https://emilypost.com/advice/general-tipping-guide/ It is not reachable at the moment but the same information can be found at https://www.marthastewart.com/2139174/t ... ette-guide

megabad

Post by megabad » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:41 pm

For restaurant delivery, I usually make sure the person gets at least 5 bucks or so. For a small order this is usually 25% plus, for a big order I usually won’t give more than maybe 10-15 bucks tops which is maybe closer to 10-15%. I dont do grocery delivery much since it seems silly to me but I did it once and gave the guy 5 bucks for a small order (maybe $35 total order). I guess if I asked him to carry 300 bucks in milk to my door I might up that though. Just my 2 cents, not saying this is right or wrong.

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:54 pm

Will do good wrote:
Pomegranate wrote:

But your waiter doesn’t have to pay for gas/vehicle depreciation to get the food to you.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:04 pm

I haven’t used any shopping services but I’ve been tipping very heavily on carry out orders - probably around 30%+ since I am still fortunate enough to be employed and I know small businesses are struggling right now.

windaar

Post by windaar » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:08 pm

I would tip like mad. Help the service workers. If your "stimulus" from the gov't isn't really needed for your personal finance, spread it out. Tip big; this is the time.
Nobody knows nothing.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:10 pm

haven't seen a tipping thread in a while..... good C19 distractor.

Find myself longing for a 'hot water heater' thread as well.

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:10 pm

windaar wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:08 pm
I would tip like mad. Help the service workers. If your "stimulus" from the gov't isn't really needed for your personal finance, spread it out. Tip big; this is the time.
Right. Someone who can afford to spend $100 on sushi can afford to tip generously.

Topic Author
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:45 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:41 pm
I'm tipping much more at locally owned places I want to be in business when this is over. Much more.
Instacart is not local and I won't use it once the stay-at-home order is gone.

Topic Author
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:46 pm

Will do good wrote:
Pomegranate wrote:

here is the link - https://www.linkedin.com/feed/news/amaz ... e-4075321/

Topic Author
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:49 pm

delamer wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:10 pm
windaar wrote:
Right. Someone who can afford to spend $100 on sushi can afford to tip generously.
Interesting point. Is it because of sushi or amount of money spent?

backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:51 pm

I tip 20% for good...normal service. We have several local areas that we frequent often, they literally have our drinks coming as soon as we walk in. At these establishment we do +30%. Most of these peeps are younger than 30 and have more than one job. We get excellent service.

But yes, now we are tipping the delivery peeps 30%.

Just how we roll.
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it is at what income. - George Foreman

Gooch1226

Post by Gooch1226 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:55 pm

What about curb side pick ups ? What are everyone’s thoughts?

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:57 pm

Pomegranate wrote:
This is the remainder of the paragraph that you saw quoted:

You wouldn't stiff your waiter, who brings your order 10 yards from the kitchen to your table. If you think it's okay to stiff your DIGITAL waiter, who brings your food 10 MILES to your door, I'm afraid you may be in in for a long, hungry pandemic.
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/news/amaz ... ke-4075321

There was an interesting op-ed in the New York Times titled Let Them Eat $70 Veal Parm The hoarders, the deliverers and what the coronavirus says about class in America.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/opin ... ivers.html

This is an interesting time.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

windaar

Post by windaar » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:01 pm

If you can flip a buck to a bartender for handing you a beer, you can tip service workers well, during a terrible moment in the economy, for serving you food and goods over many hours and miles at this point in our time. Not preaching, just saying.
Nobody knows nothing.

student

Post by student » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:07 pm

7eight9 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:57 pm
Pomegranate wrote:

You wouldn't stiff your waiter, who brings your order 10 yards from the kitchen to your table. If you think it's okay to stiff your DIGITAL waiter, who brings your food 10 MILES to your door, I'm afraid you may be in in for a long, hungry pandemic.

There was an interesting op-ed in the New York Times titled Let Them Eat $70 Veal Parm The hoarders, the deliverers and what the coronavirus says about class in America.

I don't think the "10 yards" vs "10 MILES" is an appropriate comparison. At the restaurant, you are being waited on for the entire meal. Having said that, if I order delivery, I would follow Emily Post and do 10-15% of the bill. During the current pandemic, I would give extra for hazard pay.
Last edited by student on Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:10 pm

How much do you tip the UPS guy or the mailman? I assume these people are subject to regular minimum wage laws and not the same as waiters. I've never used such a service but doubt I would tip if I did, when they are making $12/hour and up + bonuses.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:17 pm

I don't know how much to tip, so I do everything myself.

Topic Author
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:21 pm

7eight9 wrote:

Personally I don't see any difference between that digital 'waiter' and a mailman.
7eight9 wrote:

Opened an article (had to register using 10 minute mail service, looks like they REALLY value their content). Read the first sentence -
"Conservatives’ complaints that the media exaggerates the threat of the coronavirus to make President Trump look bad are at this point drearily familiar."
Closed it. Nah.

CoinCounter

Post by CoinCounter » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:26 pm

carne_asada wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:40 pm
I'm tipping way more generously to delivery drivers. What was previously a side-gig for many drivers is now likely their only source of income. An extra 10 or 15 dollars doesn't mean much to me but it can go a long way to help support some one struggling to pay the bills. Not to mention they are putting their health at risk while I stay indoors.
Exactly this. I tend towards frugality but I believe in over-tipping. Your're generally helping out someone who is already putting forth the effort to help themselves. And the extra few hundred dollars a year is not going to move the needle on my personal financial situation at this point.
I think what I am seeing here is the ol' behavioral finance trap of loss aversion. Namely, folks rate losses twice as bad as the corresponding gains. Get over it. Get over loss aversion. - livesoft

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:27 pm

ClevrChico wrote:
I think that depends on the store and item. It's way more than 10% markup for some Costco items. This is mostly academic at this point since it's impossible to get a delivery from Instacart. I'm letting my Instacart express trial lapse.

I finally managed to get a delivery from Wal-mart. But 85% of the items I ordered not in stock, and there were no replacements for them, even though I allowed substitutions. I'm also letting my Wal-mart "Delivery Unlimited " trial lapse.

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:00 pm

Right now I am tipping pretty heavily across the board (minimum 30%). I am in a somewhat enviable position so I am making sure to do my part to put smiles on faces. I have also purchased gift cards at local family restaurants that I would like to see remain going concerns.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:37 pm

delamer wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:54 pm
Will do good wrote:
Pomegranate wrote:

But your waiter doesn’t have to pay for gas/vehicle depreciation to get the food to you.
Then I assume they get nothing from instacart? where does that 20% plus $3.99 delivery fees go to?
Last edited by Will do good on Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:47 pm

Pomegranate wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:46 pm
Will do good wrote:
Pomegranate wrote:

I don't who Steve Boyd is, is he some kinds of expert in this area? What if I find another story read we wouldn't tip more than 5% because they already charge 20% , plus $3.99 fees?

Glad to hear so many are so generous in these tough times.

Topic Author
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:51 pm

Will do good wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:47 pm
Pomegranate wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:46 pm
Will do good wrote:
Pomegranate wrote:

I don't who Steve Boyd is, is he some kinds of expert in this area?
Have no clue. Moreover I'd be surprised if smdy claims herself as an 'expert it tipping' :shock:

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:52 pm

Pomegranate wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:21 pm

Personally I don't see any difference between that digital 'waiter' and a mailman.
Salary, benefits, and job security, for starters.

averagedude

Post by averagedude » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:53 pm

i wish we would get away from tipping culture. Businesses should charge more from customers to compensate their employees. Tipping is very unfair and studies have shown that it is discriminatory and that the quality of service isn't better either. I think it is terrible that just because someone is more attractive, has a larger cup size, and has lighter skin gets more tips even though the quality of their service is the same. Waitstaff in restaurants will not argue with this because this is common knowledge in this profession. Not to mention the pay disparity between the cooks and the wait staff in restaurants.The Supreme Court ruled (back in the 70"s) that any business practice that results in discrimination of a protective class shall be against the law, regardless if the practice was not intended to discriminate. Their are lawyers that would argue that tipping easily falls into this category. Full disclosure, I tip over 20% when I eat out, and I expect the overwhelming majority of people to disagree with my rant.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:54 pm

CoinCounter wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:26 pm
carne_asada wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:40 pm
Exactly this. I tend towards frugality but I believe in over-tipping. Your're generally helping out someone who is already putting forth the effort to help themselves. And the extra few hundred dollars a year is not going to move the needle on my personal financial situation at this point.
This thread is starting to remind me of the tipping conversation at the beginning of 'Reservoir Dogs'. ;)

spectec

Post by spectec » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:06 pm

I've always tried to tip like someone who has worked for tips, because I did at one time in my younger years. Now I also tip keeping in mind that the person receiving the tip is probably making less than 1/3 of what they were making before, given all the extra precautions they must take in these times to keep them and me safe. So their services are worth more to me now than they were a week ago. To me, that's a small way of paying my fair share.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:23 pm

I’m very torn on this. I try to be fairly generous as a tipper in general, but with deliveries the reality is that any more than $5 or so on the tip and I genuinely would be priced out of the service and would go pick up the purchase instead. So is it better for the delivery services and drivers if I tip a little better but significantly reduce my utilization? Probably not.

Also, it’s not really clear to me why the driver did more work because my stuff cost more. I do increase or decrease my tip by the quantity of items or the weather conditions, which seems way more relevant to me than the price of the food.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:51 pm

About to try to use a grocery pickup option on-site rather than delivery. I think it's somehow connected with Instacart also. Is tip expected in this circumstance? Hope not. Just charge fairly for the service. I really resent this tipping culture.

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:16 pm

Pomegranate wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:49 pm
delamer wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:10 pm
windaar wrote:
Interesting point. Is it because of sushi or amount of money spent?
I consider sushi a luxury purchase. So if you can afford a $100 luxury in these financial times, then you can afford to tip well.

FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:48 pm

I recall an article that Instacart keeps your tips and only pays minimum wage, unless your tips would exceed minimum wage.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:05 pm

I hate tipping, but do whatever the blogs recommend. If I want to be cheap I'll eat out less or do in store pickup.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:19 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/busine ... ou-n965926

You shouldn’t tip because you’re just subsidizing the company, none of the money actually increases how much the worker is paid. I’m not surprised the workers are striking.

The companies claim they’ve changed how they disclose what they do with tips, which surely just means they added some fine print somewhere on their website.

HanSolo

Post by HanSolo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:31 am

yangtui wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:00 pm
Right now I am tipping pretty heavily across the board (minimum 30%).
Is there anyone not included in "across the board"? Someone mentioned mail carriers. Do you tip them, and the FedEx guy, and the grocery store cashier, and the bus driver? (I don't, but that's just me, I guess.)

I'm not trying to suggest who should or shouldn't be tipped. I want to understand the thinking behind viewing oneself as a generous tipper while excluding some workers from that generosity.