Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JPH

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by JPH »

I haven't seem predators recently but it is possible. We sometimes have red shouldered hawks in our tree. And something made all my pond fish go away two weeks ago. Once I saw a small falcon nail a baby blue jay in my back yard. The parents put up quite a fuss. Another time I looked out the window in the middle of the night and was surprised to see some tiny owls using the bird bath.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Years ago, my neighbor had a small goldfish pond behind his house. A Great Heron showed up. He still has the pond, minus the goldfish.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

JPH wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:07 pm I haven't seem predators recently but it is possible. We sometimes have red shouldered hawks in our tree. And something made all my pond fish go away two weeks ago. Once I saw a small falcon nail a baby blue jay in my back yard. The parents put up quite a fuss. Another time I looked out the window in the middle of the night and was surprised to see some tiny owls using the bird bath.
Cute owl story. Wildlife encounters can be sad sometimes. :(
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

A flock of cedar waxwings have taken up residence in a warm sheltered spot of my roof near a yaupon holly. The resident robin keeps chasing them away, but it is one against 25+, so the robin is not winning. Here is a pair of evening photos in low light taken from a window:

Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
BrightEyes

Post by BrightEyes »

JPH wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:16 pm I'm in South Texas and almost every day normally see many species of birds at my feeders. I noticed with the recent rare snowfall here that many of them have been avoiding the feeders. I put some seed on paper plates to accommodate the sparrows and white winged doves and others that feed off the ground. But none would take the seed. I've seen only an occasional ruby crowned kinglet and a few warblers on the suet. Now that the snow is melted I have a large pile of exposed seed on my patio and they still are not interested. Can anyone offer an explanation? Several squirrels are similarly avoiding my feeders.
I have to agree with those who posited predators, or something else noxious or scary to the birds, maybe, if they are not visiting AT ALL. In the cold, they surely need extra calories, not less! I've had dozens of EXTRA visitors every day since we got snow and single digit temps last week (it's now warming up, 37 was our high today! :happy ), lots of species that don't usually venture so close to the house and people. Plus the regulars, who are used to me coming out to fill the feeders and don't go far, or even come close and scold me for being too slow about replenishing the buffet! If you are seeing them, but they aren't approaching the feeders, I doubt it is the cold. If you aren't seeing them at all, maybe they went somewhere else? Or something happened to them, though I sure hope not. If you know others in your area with feeders, maybe ask what they are seeing/not seeing and how it compares to usual?

james865 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:09 pm During the recent snowstorm I saw a new bird visit my suet feeder: Norther Flicker. Woodpecker family, very large bird. I guess all the snow prevented it from eating in its normal locations.
I have seen a Northern Flicker in my yard twice this fall/winter-- once sitting in a tree overlooking the feeders-- thought it was a hawk, it's so big, but with field glasses, then my field guide, was able to identify him! The next time, it was ground feeding, which seemed odd for a woodpecker, but I looked it up, and learned they are the rare woodpecker that does seem to prefer eating bugs and such from ground instead of trees. So far, I haven't seen them at the feeders, but that's so neat that you did! Such handsome birds.

I do have a pair of downy woodpeckers and a pair of red-bellied woodpeckers that visit pretty much daily. They love peanuts even more than the suet,I think! A few days ago, I saw two female downys at the same time, so maybe I have more than a pair, but I usually just see either one male or one female at a time, so I have assumed just a single pair of each woodpecker.
Brewman

Post by Brewman »

I have been treated this winter to a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers that like to come and sample the suet cakes in the tree just below my daughters old bedroom - now the work from home office. They are impressive birds about the size of a crow with big red plumes on there heads and a huge beak but boy are they skittish ...hope to be able to get a good picture soon. I have actually had a big variety of woodpeckers this winter - Pileated, Flicker, Red Bellied, Downy, Hairy and only once a red headed woodpecker. An additional advantage of work from home. I almost forgot in the early fall I saw a bald eagle in a neighbors tree a few houses away!
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

^livesoft:

Thanks for the photos of the Cedar Waxwings! Such handsome birds. :happy
OldOne

Post by OldOne »

Ruby-crowned kinglet. Tiny bird, about size of wren with bit of red hair on head. Feeder is just outside picture window which has 1-way film so I can watch and the birds ( and whatever else) can't see in. All the birds were eating more than normal during this sub-freezing weather we just had and I tried to keep plenty of food available for them.
IndependentThinker

Post by IndependentThinker »

Hard to believe, but I just saw a pair of eastern bluebirds at a nesting box they have used for the last two years.
I'm no expert on birds but I do know bluebirds migrate south as they are primarily insect eaters. It will be a while before insects re-appear in western PA!
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

IndependentThinker wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:47 pm Hard to believe, but I just saw a pair of eastern bluebirds at a nesting box they have used for the last two years.
I'm no expert on birds but I do know bluebirds migrate south as they are primarily insect eaters. It will be a while before insects re-appear in western PA!
Cool! Cornell University's map shows that Eastern Bluebirds live year-around in many parts of the eastern US (purple area of the map.)

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eas ... maps-range

Food:

Insects caught on the ground are a bluebird’s main food for much of the year. Major prey include caterpillars, beetles crickets, grasshoppers, and spiders. In fall and winter, bluebirds eat large amounts of fruit including mistletoe, sumac, blueberries, black cherry, tupelo, currants, wild holly, dogwood berries, hackberries, honeysuckle, bay, pokeweed, and juniper berries. Rarely, Eastern Bluebirds have been recorded eating salamanders, shrews, snakes, lizards, and tree frogs.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

IndependentThinker wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:47 pm Hard to believe, but I just saw a pair of eastern bluebirds at a nesting box they have used for the last two years.
I'm in Maryland. Bluebirds stick around all year but in the depth of winter head into the woods. We see them on nice days even in mid-winter. This month they have started "house shopping" - they typically visit various boxes and cavities for a while and by April will pick one. We have two boxes, one in front and one in back. One year we fledged 15.

They can find tiny insects in the ground and they will also eat fruit bits and other non-insect food. They love Mulberries in our area but I removed all the Mulberry trees since they are invasive species.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Chip

Post by Chip »

We have bluebirds all winter. We're on the border between climate zones 4 & 5 in the midwest.

I was surprised about this as well, but we see them every year. They often pick up bits of suet on the ground under that feeder. They also come regularly to a tubular feeder stocked with sunflower kernels.
A440

Post by A440 »

Bald eagle(s) down by the lake on our daily walk. Not sure if he/she is passing through or taking up residence.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Large V of snow geese just flew over the house. Probably 500 birds. Flying high, flying north. Spring!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Yes! The sounds of Spring started a few days ago. Birds are now announcing sunrise and early morning activity. I also saw some robins.

Woodpeckers are building nests by hammering on the trees.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

^^ We've had Robins all winter this year. We also had the earliest (2/19) arrival that I can recall, of a Great Egret in the creek last week - right in the middle of a sleet storm. Weird year.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:43 am ^^ We've had Robins all winter this year. We also had the earliest (2/19) arrival that I can recall, of a Great Egret in the creek last week - right in the middle of a sleet storm. Weird year.

Great photo! :happy

I've been hearing the Red-winged Blackbirds coming back and the House Finches are more active. Sounds that cheer me up every year!
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

We saw this little guy over the winter in the northeast. We had many goldfinches, but none but this one had white feathers like this. I'm not sure if it is a different kind of bird, an albino, or in the process of changing feathers.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The fluff suggests baby down feathers.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

JPH wrote: . . . Another time I looked out the window in the middle of the night and was surprised to see some tiny owls using the bird bath.
Aww! :D
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A friend in NJ told me about a live Eagle cam. There was a hatching this morning. Duke Farms Eagle Cam
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:11 pm A friend in NJ told me about a live Eagle cam. There was a hatching this morning. Duke Farms Eagle Cam
Cool! I see the next meal in the nest (dead fish....).

Here's another eagle nest in Florida:

https://nefleaglecam.org/
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:31 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:11 pm A friend in NJ told me about a live Eagle cam. There was a hatching this morning. Duke Farms Eagle Cam

In NE FL nest there have been many fish, an oppossum and 3 or 4 squirrels in the nest for food. Really something to see the adults de-fur the mammals. Most of the fish come into the nest headless.

The lone eaglet has grown by leaps and bounds since it the only Baby. The second egg did not hatch.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Dottie57 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:39 pm

In NE FL nest there has been many fish, an oppossum and 3 or 4 squirrels in the nest for food. Really something to see the adults de-fur the mammals. Most of the fish come into the nest headless.

The lone eaglet has grown by leaps and bounds since it the only Baby. The second egg did not hatch.
Wow! Quite a variety of food. I see the eaglet now, getting fluffy and big.
Flymore

Post by Flymore »

Pileated Woodpecker
Chip

Post by Chip »

Saw a pair of red-shouldered hawks on the ground a couple of days ago, dining together on a possum. It must have been date night! They didn't seem to eat much before flying off. There were only traces of fur left the next morning.

It's nesting season for the red-shoulders around here. The key finding the active nests is to look for large stick nests with fresh greenery in them. They re-use old nests but always freshen them up with the greenery.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html#

THEY ARE GETTING BIG ;-))

if you go to top and click Videos, someone has done a great job archiving all the goings on in nest....
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://www.elfruler.com/

just found this link, LOTS of eagle cams, top right link to eagle cams, all over country.

Also lots of great info on how eagles grow !!!!
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

f35phixer wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:24 am https://www.elfruler.com/

just found this link, LOTS of eagle cams, top right link to eagle cams, all over country.

Also lots of great info on how eagles grow !!!!
Nice! Many links to check out. Thanks for posting! :happy
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

f35phixer wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:22 am https://dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html#

THEY ARE GETTING BIG ;-))

if you go to top and click Videos, someone has done a great job archiving all the goings on in nest....
Cool! They are getting big!
Chip

Post by Chip »

Saw a pair of bald eagles today. One sitting on the nest.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

Royal Cam Albatross cams....

found this last year, forgot about it till this one showed up. Sorry but there is something FUNNY about PS's, seeing the eagles back up, SPLAT ;-) 4:15 dad gets it in face !!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_R-HfJIvfM

this is the LIVE FEED.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An5243gZf4A
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

f35phixer wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:18 pm Royal Cam Albatross cams....

found this last year, forgot about it till this one showed up. Sorry but there is something FUNNY about PS's, seeing the eagles back up, SPLAT ;-) 4:15 dad gets it in face !!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_R-HfJIvfM

this is the LIVE FEED.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An5243gZf4A
LOL :D

Cool looking birds!
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPI9mWmmc7M
just up the road from me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta-11umvczU
Colorado Just laid first egg...
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

Disclaimer: Warning very graphic - view with caution.
Akecheta was incubating the eggs and got up and left them unattended. In less than 2 minutes, ravens came to the nest and ate two of the eggs and carried off the third egg. The eggs were expected to hatch any day and the two eggs that were breached contained live chicks.

i had not been following this nest, i think it was Big Bear where there was talk of a TRAGEDY at a nest. ARRRRRRRGGHHHHHHH i know this is nature and these things happen. I can only imagine the poor camera operator SCREAMIMG at the screen, Please come back Mom/Dad !!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUwpU31YtV0
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Eagle Nest Cam - live feed

Duke Island Farms, NJ (former Doris Duke estate in Hillsborough, NJ)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj37Uc_uKj8
Lacrocious

Post by Lacrocious »

The Sandhill Cranes are back walking through the backyard.
- L

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:48 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:39 pm

In NE FL nest there has been many fish, an oppossum and 3 or 4 squirrels in the nest for food. Really something to see the adults de-fur the mammals. Most of the fish come into the nest headless.

Wow! Quite a variety of food. I see the eaglet now, getting fluffy and big.
The eaglet is really getting big and the dark gray feathers are really visible. Still some fuzzie stuff but lots of small feathers.
The wingspread is REALLY growing fast. Eaglet is starting to self feed , is preening and exercising its wings now. It’s father fledged in 120 days, so this one should do so in 80+ days. Really fun to follow.
Kiter

Post by Kiter »

Waiting for Osprey's
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

^Dottie57:

"The eaglet is really getting big and the dark gray feathers are really visible. Still some fuzzie stuff but lots of small feathers.
The wingspread is REALLY growing fast. Eaglet is starting to self feed , is preening and exercising its wings now. It’s father fledged in 120 days, so this one should do so in 80+ days. Really fun to follow."

Wow! It has grown a lot! I'm glad they reinforce the nests with big sticks. It looks very healthy. Nature is pretty amazing!

:happy
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Lacrocious wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:41 pm The Sandhill Cranes are back walking through the backyard.
- L

So cool! I just attended the Monte Vista, Colorado Sandhill Crane Festival online yesterday. To see it in person is amazing with the hundreds of cranes that stop over. Monte Vista is one place where the cranes stop and rest when they fly from their winter grounds in New Mexico and further south before traveling to their breeding grounds up north. I saw some great photography and also learned there are 15 crane species around the world. The keynote speaker is connected with the international crane organization that is actually based in Wisconsin! They discussed how the crane foundation has crucial breeding programs for the endangered crane species including Whooping Cranes. Luckily, Sandhills have healthy populations right now. :happy

https://mvcranefest.org/

https://www.savingcranes.org/

INTERNATIONAL CRANE FOUNDATION
Baraboo, WI 53913 USA
Lacrocious

Post by Lacrocious »

The Sandhill Cranes have in the neighborhood for the past few years. This pair strolls around the neighborhood. They stop at our feeder, 4 feet away from our window, and clean up the dropped food. They don’t startle much at all. We can walk up to the window and they just look at us. We have walked out the back door within 10 feet of them and they just watch. They nested in another neighbor’s back yard. It is fun!
- L
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Lake near us has lost most of its ice as of yesterday.
Lots of ducks - Ring Neck, Bufflehead, Gadwell and an interesting Mallard hybrid with a very bright white breast.

Several Bald Eagles way out on the remaining ice.
JPH

Post by JPH »

Ruby crowned kinglet. I have them at my feeder frequently, but today a male was courting a female and I got a good look at the ruby crown for the first time. They usually keep it hidden.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

First Osprey arrived over the creek today.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I'm a casual watcher. This past year we've had flocks of american robins. up to 30 or even 50 birds.

I chuckled after I googled "what do you call a flock of robins" and got several suggestions: around of robins; a worm of robins
http://bodysoulandspirit.blogspot.com/2 ... 20language.
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

Joining in here for the first time -- I enjoy watching the birds in my yard, and have focused on planting native species which has greatly increased the birds visiting. A Lawrence's goldfinch was in my birdbath this morning -- since they're often described as rare and uncommon this might be the most noteworthy bird visit I've had.

Also have a Western bluebird pair that have taken up residence in the neighborhood somewhere and am enjoying them pulling worms out of my lawn.

(Contra Costa County, CA)
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Lacrocious wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:08 am The Sandhill Cranes have in the neighborhood for the past few years. This pair strolls around the neighborhood. They stop at our feeder, 4 feet away from our window, and clean up the dropped food. They don’t startle much at all. We can walk up to the window and they just look at us. We have walked out the back door within 10 feet of them and they just watch. They nested in another neighbor’s back yard. It is fun!
- L
Very cool! The Sandhill Crane is one bird species that mates for life. :happy
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

SC Anteater wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:36 pm Joining in here for the first time -- I enjoy watching the birds in my yard, and have focused on planting native species which has greatly increased the birds visiting. A Lawrence's goldfinch was in my birdbath this morning -- since they're often described as rare and uncommon this might be the most noteworthy bird visit I've had.

Also have a Western bluebird pair that have taken up residence in the neighborhood somewhere and am enjoying them pulling worms out of my lawn.

(Contra Costa County, CA)
Cool! I try to focus on native perennials in my back yard as well. It helps the entire eco-system.

We should start to see Mountain and Western bluebirds around here in a few weeks. :happy
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

The Cedar Waxwings GAGGLE has returned here in Southern MD. There have been scouts for a couple weeks, but today there are probably >30 in the tree warming up in sun Its 37.... We have an Eastern Red Cedar in front, its amazing to watch them swallow the berries !!! The berries are BIG.... Also they attack the hollies, fun to watch.