Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by Sandtrap »

TnGuy wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:07 pm Last night as my wife and I were about to enter the house we heard a 'scream' sound, followed immediately by some hoots. It was a female Great Horned Owl ......

David
Awesome owl picture!

How did you know it was a female owl?

Thanks!
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:06 amHuge monster bird did a fly by of our house and cruised down to a distant tree line. Sat on the top of a large tree. Looked as big as a silver steel trash can in the sunlight. I have never seen a bird that big. Have no idea what it was. We have "great heron's" but it seemed bigger, thicker. Dunno?
Moby Duck
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

livesoft wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:08 am
Sandtrap wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:06 amHuge monster bird did a fly by of our house and cruised down to a distant tree line. Sat on the top of a large tree. Looked as big as a silver steel trash can in the sunlight. I have never seen a bird that big. Have no idea what it was. We have "great heron's" but it seemed bigger, thicker. Dunno?
Moby Duck
Makes a sounds like a wild wail?
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

vested1 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:16 am Great pictures in this thread, thanks. The last couple of days we've had a flock of about 30 Guinea Fowl congregating at a fairly busy intersection in a 55 mph zone about a mile from our house. I'm surprised there haven't been a number of avian casualties as these birds tend to run out in the road when they see a car coming. We have a few bird feeders in the backyard, and see cardinals, blue birds, woodpeckers, and song birds including a variety of finches.
Was stationed at an AF base with a large prairie dog population, which also liked to run out in front of vehicles. Your comment reminded me of a joke told on base.

Question. Why did the chicken cross the road?
Answer. To prove to the prairie dogs that it could be done.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:07 am Awesome owl picture!

The picture is one that I pulled off of the web. We've lived on our property for nearly 28 years and this only the second time we've heard Great Horned Owls. Never have seen one, though. We hear (and, occasionally see) barred Owls all of the time. But, having Great Horned on our property is rare.

We know it is a female based upon the 'scream', itself. That is a distinctive audio marker for the species.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:07 am
TnGuy wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:07 pm Last night as my wife and I were about to enter the house we heard a 'scream' sound, followed immediately by some hoots. It was a female Great Horned Owl ......

David
Awesome owl picture!

Thanks!
j :D
Lately we've been gifted with a daily deposit of Canadian geese diarrhea on the 60' gangplank to our dock. If I don't wash it off within a couple of days it turns into concrete, requiring a scrubbing on hands and knees. This picture looks like the life sized plastic owl with a head that rotates in the wind that I just mounted on the rail of the gangplank. That deterrent lasted for one day.

Apparently the plastic owl and our very regular geese are now fast friends. I wonder if they make plastic condors?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Urban renewal today. Replaced one dilapidated side of duplex Wood Duck house today. The other side has a squatter - Eastern Screech Owl. Will have to wait.

Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:47 am Urban renewal today. Replaced one dilapidated side of duplex Wood Duck house today. The other side has a squatter - Eastern Screech Owl. Will have to wait.

Oh wow, how cool! Nice photo. :happy
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

is that baby with other egg waiting to PIP? or do you have a go pro or something in the box?\

very cool.

couple reply's above is a nest cam !
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

f35phixer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:11 pm is that baby with other egg waiting to PIP? or do you have a go pro or something in the box?\

very cool.

couple reply's above is a nest cam !
That is one of the parents.

Screech Owls are pretty passive when on the nest. This was done with a phone. We were inspecting the box before deciding if it could be replaced before the Wood Ducks show up. They have one new box so will have to get by on that if this is still occupied. I'll check back in the box every couple of weeks and see how things are progressing.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

It was 50 degrees here yesterday and everyone was singing (Cardinal, Tufted Titmouse, Black Capped Chickadee)

And the plaintive song of the White Throated Sparrow

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Whi ... Sparrow/id

Easy song to learn
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Whi ... row/sounds

they will reply (like the Chickadees do) if you sing a bit with them

Great Horned Owls nest around this time - could be a territorial notice. We have a pair behind our house we see every once and awhile. Hear them much more often.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Lots of Birding changes over the last couple of weeks - spring has started. It's 64 today.

The large herds of Geese (this picture) have broken up in paired groups of 3, 4, or 5 pairs, or just single pairs. Note: These are City Geese, not migrators. This year, unlike many years, there have been few migrators around, both in Los Gatos where I walk and in Stockton at the lake my Dad's house is on.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Last week (with temps were warmer) it was very nice to wake up to tweeting, chirping birds. Not the long songs heard in the spring. But I definitely can tell the days are longer and spr ing will be here in a reasonable time.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

The starting last week, there has seen a total absence of the Blue Heron's, Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets, and the Night Herons along the lake. I found out why today. They are draining the Perc Ponds about a mile downstream from the lake and they are having a field-day in shallowest now almost empty pond. I had to use a lot of zoom on this picture - the Blue Herons in the foreground are 75 yards out, the Great Egrets are at least twice that far.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Many of the bird types around the lake are City dwellers - very used to people. Having just got our "puppy shots", we had lunch in the park two weeks ago. This White Duck very gently pulls on your pant leg to remind you he's there. That is DW's leg. We don't feed them, except the fry DW dropped. Outside of the picture are another 6 or 7 ducks a various types, lots of Couts, some Geese, and a Sea Gull.

Ykcor

Post by Ykcor »

jebmke wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:40 pm Aside from the usuals, wood ducks showed up in the creek a couple of days ago as did some lesser yellow-legs. Flock of cedar waxwings in a tree today. Barred owl sounded off while I was out for a walk today.
Hope you don't have a lot of holly bushes loaded with berries. Those cedar waxwings will eat the berries and crap all over. The dropping are like glue. So don't leave your auto outside. They will move on as soon as the berries are gone.
Ykcor

Post by Ykcor »

BTW, blackbirds and redwing blackbirds have taken over my bird feeders. The only bird that will challenge these rascals are the mockingbird. Anyone know how to get rid of these birds without shooting with a BB gun?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Ykcor wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:09 pm BTW, blackbirds and redwing blackbirds have taken over my bird feeders. The only bird that will challenge these rascals are the mockingbird. Anyone know how to get rid of these birds without shooting with a BB gun?
We have had an unusual number of redwings at the feeder this winter. Usually they flock further south but warmer winter has more of them around. Have not come up with a solution. I stopped putting out suet and have adjusted our feeder so that it closes when a bird that big sits on the rail. Cut out the cardinals though. We've had quite a few purple finches and pine siskins back in the area so trying to give them first dibs on the seed.
BatBuckeye

Post by BatBuckeye »

I think I am seeing house finches on bird feeder, reddish head and breast. And cardinals. And a large woodpecker. Just put out the birdfeeder since the ground is snow covered.
What we are NOT seeing are robins. They saying around here is it is Spring when the robins appear. But we typically see them year round. Not this year. Wondering why...
BrightEyes

Post by BrightEyes »

I've suddenly got lots of redwing blackbirds, too, probably due to the snow in Middle Tennessee. i usually don't see them much. They have been congregating in the back yard trees, as well as visiting the deck and feeders. I've been putting corn and seeds on the deck for the groundfeeders the past couple days, as well as refilling the feeders.

Yesterday, the pair of tiny red-breasted nuthatches that have been wintering here came and chittered at me as I refilled the tubes with sunflower seeds. They will eat at the peanut feeder, but I think they preferred to whole loose Spanish peanuts* I'd been putting out on the deck rails, as they could just take them 'to-go". (Proper Covid dining?!) Anyhow, they were scolding me for the lack of loose nuts, I think, so I put a few on my gloved palm and stood very still-- and the bold little female lighted quickly on my fingertips and grabbed herself a peanut before flying away with it. Today, she dared it again, but dropped the nut, so she came right back for a replacement! Then returned for two more after hiding that one. It was only about 18 degrees out, so I didn't last much longer being so still, but it was so neat to be so close to these amazing little creatures, and to see her boldness! And since I was still, the tufted titmouse came to the tube feeder a few times while I was standing there, but the upgrade from sunflower seed to peanut was not sufficient reward for him to light on my hand!

We're going through the current 50 lb bag of sunflower seeds very quickly, with so many more mouths to feed, and I'm about to achieve my goal of emptying the galvanized can the corn's been stored in, so I can see how we like feeding hulled sunflower seed. But with now even more snow on the ground, and such deep cold for this locale, there are a lot more birds needing support, and my cats and I sure enjoy watching them gather on the deck and in the yard. I counted about 60 of the redwing blackbirds in one tree yesterday. And upwards of 25 on the deck at another point, gobbling the corn I had spread there. Plus I have seen over 30 goldfinches between deck and feeders, not even counting the ones in the yard below. More starlings and brown headed cowbirds the last few days, too. Not my favorites, as they are greedy and have poor manners toward the littler birds, but everyone is hungry right now, and my establishment seems to be one of the few places "open" right now. We still have the usual house finches, a few purple finches, the cardinals and Carolina wrens, Carolina chickadees, downy and red-bellied woodpeckers , blue jays, and sole mocking bird. Oh, and one tiny yellow breasted fellow I initially thought was one of the hoard of goldfinches just didn't quite look right, his beak seemed awfully long and pointy for a finch... so I grabbed the field glasses and bird books, and discovered I had a pine warbler visiting the peanut feeder.

Lady Geek, thanks for your post a few days ago letting me know how to add pictures-- if I ever get any that are actually worth posting, I will follow the directions, but the ones I had were just not high-enough quality.

* Fun Boglehead frugality: I got a LOT of 1 lb bags of raw Spanish peanuts in Kroger's produce department when they put them on after-Christmas clearance for $1/bag-- that's about half what they sell for as bird food!

Bright Eyes
Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos »

jebmke wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:47 am Urban renewal today. Replaced one dilapidated side of duplex Wood Duck house today. The other side has a squatter - Eastern Screech Owl. Will have to wait.

That's fantastic. I wish I had that to watch it play out...
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

added note: if this is Screech Owl egg, it is early for this area. The egg may be an abandoned Wood Duck egg from last season.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

BrightEyes wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:48 pm I've suddenly got lots of redwing blackbirds, too, probably due to the snow in Middle Tennessee. i usually don't see them much. They have been congregating in the back yard trees, as well as visiting the deck and feeders. I've been putting corn and seeds on the deck for the groundfeeders the past couple days, as well as refilling the feeders.

Yesterday, the pair of tiny red-breasted nuthatches that have been wintering here came and chittered at me as I refilled the tubes with sunflower seeds. They will eat at the peanut feeder, but I think they preferred to whole loose Spanish peanuts* I'd been putting out on the deck rails, as they could just take them 'to-go". (Proper Covid dining?!) Anyhow, they were scolding me for the lack of loose nuts, I think, so I put a few on my gloved palm and stood very still-- and the bold little female lighted quickly on my fingertips and grabbed herself a peanut before flying away with it. Today, she dared it again, but dropped the nut, so she came right back for a replacement! Then returned for two more after hiding that one. It was only about 18 degrees out, so I didn't last much longer being so still, but it was so neat to be so close to these amazing little creatures, and to see her boldness! And since I was still, the tufted titmouse came to the tube feeder a few times while I was standing there, but the upgrade from sunflower seed to peanut was not sufficient reward for him to light on my hand!

We're going through the current 50 lb bag of sunflower seeds very quickly, with so many more mouths to feed, and I'm about to achieve my goal of emptying the galvanized can the corn's been stored in, so I can see how we like feeding hulled sunflower seed. But with now even more snow on the ground, and such deep cold for this locale, there are a lot more birds needing support, and my cats and I sure enjoy watching them gather on the deck and in the yard. I counted about 60 of the redwing blackbirds in one tree yesterday. And upwards of 25 on the deck at another point, gobbling the corn I had spread there. Plus I have seen over 30 goldfinches between deck and feeders, not even counting the ones in the yard below. More starlings and brown headed cowbirds the last few days, too. Not my favorites, as they are greedy and have poor manners toward the littler birds, but everyone is hungry right now, and my establishment seems to be one of the few places "open" right now. We still have the usual house finches, a few purple finches, the cardinals and Carolina wrens, Carolina chickadees, downy and red-bellied woodpeckers , blue jays, and sole mocking bird. Oh, and one tiny yellow breasted fellow I initially thought was one of the hoard of goldfinches just didn't quite look right, his beak seemed awfully long and pointy for a finch... so I grabbed the field glasses and bird books, and discovered I had a pine warbler visiting the peanut feeder.

Lady Geek, thanks for your post a few days ago letting me know how to add pictures-- if I ever get any that are actually worth posting, I will follow the directions, but the ones I had were just not high-enough quality.

* Fun Boglehead frugality: I got a LOT of 1 lb bags of raw Spanish peanuts in Kroger's produce department when they put them on after-Christmas clearance for $1/bag-- that's about half what they sell for as bird food!

Bright Eyes
Thanks for the fun story and feeding the birds! I've never been able to feed one from my hand (yet). So fun to watch.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

I almost didn’t even notice the owl sitting there.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I'm certainly no bird watcher but it is hard to miss a hummingbird with its unique flight pattern. I was sitting on the front porch and could see a very small one fly around the front yard before disappearing.

In MD at times I would see Cardinals with their red coloring (I assume they are cardinals) stand out from the other birds.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm in the middle of a snowstorm (9" expected) and watching Cardinals, juncos, and finches on my feeders.

On a gray day, the red Cardinals hopping on white snow stand out brilliantly. Beautiful. :happy
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:35 am I'm in the middle of a snowstorm (9" expected) and watching Cardinals, juncos, and finches on my feeders.

On a gray day, the red Cardinals hopping on white snow stand out brilliantly. Beautiful. :happy
Jealous! No cheery Cardinals in my state (except for an occasional "stray" that sneaks in....) :happy
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

This thread has been enjoyable to follow (thanks JAZZISCOOL!).

Any advice from the experts here on bird feeders and types of feed for a newbie?

I have lot of trees/gardens and several feeders with regular ruby-throated hummingbird visitors last year. In warmer weather, I regularly see hawks, blue jays, robins, cardinals, goldfinches, song sparrows, chickadees and last year Baltimore orioles. Due to squirrels and inexperience, I didn’t have much luck a few years ago with bird feeders but want to give it a try again.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

^^ We have had one of these for years. Many squirrels - except for the year the foxes moved in under our shed -- and no squirrel has been able to get in. It will also keep bigger birds like bluejays out.

https://www.amazon.com/Woodlink-Absolut ... 66&sr=8-36

We prefer to use a blend of safflower and sunflower hearts. Some of the less expensive seed like millet attracts House Sparrows which are an invasive species that we don't want around here. For some reason, the House Sparrows don't like the safflower/sunflower mix.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

HomeStretch wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:02 am This thread has been enjoyable to follow (thanks JAZZISCOOL!).

Any advice from the experts here on bird feeders and types of feed for a newbie?

I have lot of trees/gardens and several feeders with regular ruby-throated hummingbird visitors last year. In warmer weather, I regularly see hawks, blue jays, robins, cardinals, goldfinches, song sparrows, chickadees and last year Baltimore orioles. Due to squirrels and inexperience, I didn’t have much luck a few years ago with bird feeders but want to give it a try again.
Glad you like the thread!

You might start with Cornell's partner Project FeederWatch website - lots of good information on types of feeders. Personally, I've been using more "squirrel buster" type of feeders at the moment but there are many types depending on the birds in your area. Platform feeders are nice but are an issue if you have a lot of squirrels IMO. I'm researching some more squirrel buster options at the moment.

https://feederwatch.org/learn/feeding-birds/

Good luck! I'm sure others will chime in.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

We have an on-going thread: Squirrel proof bird feeder

- My design is in this post: Re: Squirrel Proofing a Bird Feeder
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

David
We had a GHO that had built a nest high up in a white pine behind the house. Big, big nest. Was hooting all the time. Then about 6 weeks ago I heard this racket of screaming birds and went outside to see what it was out about. There were at least a dozen crows, maybe even 20, screaming & flapping wings like mad all around the owl nest from the pine trees. I seemed to disrupt what was going on & the owl took off with the pack of crows in pursuit. Owl hasn't been back. I didn't realize it till I looked it up that owls eat crows and the crows' behavior I observed is a common tactic crows use to get rid of GHOs.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

gerntz wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:25 pm Owl hasn't been back. I didn't realize it till I looked it up that owls eat crows and the crows' behavior I observed is a common tactic crows use to get rid of GHOs.
GHOs will eat almost anything. Ruthless killers - they can take a porcupine. Birds do gang up and drive them off. We've had blackbirds gang up on them - even fly in and hit them to unseat them on the roost. They still nest around the adjacent woods - at least one pair but I've heard more than two before.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Visitor today ruined lunch for all the little birds.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:38 pm We have an on-going thread: Squirrel proof bird feeder

- My design is in this post: Re: Squirrel Proofing a Bird Feeder
Great, thanks! Will check this out! Didn't see it before..... :happy
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

RetiredAL wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:48 pm Many of the bird types around the lake are City dwellers - very used to people. Having just got our "puppy shots", we had lunch in the park two weeks ago. This White Duck very gently pulls on your pant leg to remind you he's there. That is DW's leg. We don't feed them, except the fry DW dropped. Outside of the picture are another 6 or 7 ducks a various types, lots of Couts, some Geese, and a Sea Gull.

AFLAC?
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

jebmke wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:50 pm Visitor today ruined lunch for all the little birds.

Looks like a Cooper's Hawk
Definitely gets very quiet in our yard when he or she is out there.

Last fall, had a family group in the neighborhood. The adults teaching the two youngsters how to hunt. They fly up and down along a hedgerow to flush the sparrows then the race is on. Had one fly by me at eye level in hot pursuit of a House Finch. Very intense.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Coopers_Hawk/id
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

GG1273 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:41 pm Looks like a Cooper's Hawk
Yes; it is a Coop; comes through from time to time. We have a Sharpie come through every once in a while. Smaller, more compact. Same effect on the neighborhood. Everyone scatters.
Thranduil

Post by Thranduil »

Just curious if anyone else watches birds on YouTube. I have been watching this live bird feeder cam in Ohio. Love seeing so many different birds that we do not have here in Northern Cal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtGUTs_HgcE

(I have no affiliation with this YT channel....just a viewer)
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Thranduil wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:05 am Just curious if anyone else watches birds on YouTube. I have been watching this live bird feeder cam in Ohio. Love seeing so many different birds that we do not have here in Northern Cal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtGUTs_HgcE

(I have no affiliation with this YT channel....just a viewer)
Cool! I look at a few once in a while. Here is a fun hummingbird site I like since it's cold here (SoCal):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXe8MpU7uzk
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

jebmke wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:43 pm
gerntz wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:25 pm Owl hasn't been back. I didn't realize it till I looked it up that owls eat crows and the crows' behavior I observed is a common tactic crows use to get rid of GHOs.
GHOs will eat almost anything. Ruthless killers - they can take a porcupine. Birds do gang up and drive them off. We've had blackbirds gang up on them - even fly in and hit them to unseat them on the roost. They still nest around the adjacent woods - at least one pair but I've heard more than two before.
wait a second, Crows are NOT SAINTS !!!! they go in and rob nestlings all then time !

give me a GHO anytime. :beer
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

A downy was sizing up my suet - purchased from Walmart, probably not very palatable. :D

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/d/188 ... MrdtGdzZ_P
james865

Post by james865 »

During the recent snowstorm I saw a new bird visit my suet feeder: Norther Flicker. Woodpecker family, very large bird. I guess all the snow prevented it from eating in its normal locations.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

james865 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:09 pm During the recent snowstorm I saw a new bird visit my suet feeder: Norther Flicker. Woodpecker family, very large bird. I guess all the snow prevented it from eating in its normal locations.
Woodpeckers love suet :happy
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

james865 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:09 pm During the recent snowstorm I saw a new bird visit my suet feeder: Norther Flicker. Woodpecker family, very large bird. I guess all the snow prevented it from eating in its normal locations.
They mostly migrate south (like to North Carolina and further south) but a few hang around. In Cape May, in the fall, you could see thousands at a time as they migrate. Most stop in Cape May when they get to the Delaware Bay and hang out for a few days eating, then cross the bay. Mostly, they eat ants, so you'll see them on the ground a lot too.

Heard the Pileated Woodpecker today - they've started to be in suburban areas last few years. Normally a deep forest Woodpecker. I've seen this one twice on my WFH daily walks. They are big and very noisy!

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Pil ... r/overview
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

I drove to Stockton today to see my Dad and was surprised there were no Egrets in the fields, which is unusual this time of year.

I did note that the Almond Tree fields in one week went from bare to full bloom. That signals that the start of spring is here. This Feb has been warmer than many years. The temp today was 60.

However, just 70 miles east of Stockton at 5000ft, the cabin has 3 feet of snow on the ground from a storm 2 weeks ago that dumped 5+ feet. Many areas up there lost power for 5-6 days.

That's Calif for you. 1hr west and I'm on the beach at 60 degrees. The next day, 3.5 hrs east, we can be skiing.

I visit the snow. I don't live in it.
JPH

Post by JPH »

I'm in South Texas and almost every day normally see many species of birds at my feeders. I noticed with the recent rare snowfall here that many of them have been avoiding the feeders. I put some seed on paper plates to accommodate the sparrows and white winged doves and others that feed off the ground. But none would take the seed. I've seen only an occasional ruby crowned kinglet and a few warblers on the suet. Now that the snow is melted I have a large pile of exposed seed on my patio and they still are not interested. Can anyone offer an explanation? Several squirrels are similarly avoiding my feeders.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

JPH wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:16 pm I'm in South Texas and almost every day normally see many species of birds at my feeders. I noticed with the recent rare snowfall here that many of them have been avoiding the feeders. I put some seed on paper plates to accommodate the sparrows and white winged doves and others that feed off the ground. But none would take the seed. I've seen only an occasional ruby crowned kinglet and a few warblers on the suet. Now that the snow is melted I have a large pile of exposed seed on my patio and they still are not interested. Can anyone offer an explanation? Several squirrels are similarly avoiding my feeders.
I don't know for sure but it seems when it is REALLY cold, that both birds and squirrels are less active and are probably trying to stay warm. That's just a guess. Maybe others have ideas or info. Also, if there are predators around, birds will hide but sounds weather related in your case.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It's not the temperature, as the birds are piling on my feeders.

I'm betting there's a predator around.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:09 pm It's not the temperature, as the birds are piling on my feeders.

I'm betting there's a predator around.
Yes, in my "hood" if there's a Cooper's Hawk around, the birds vanish immediately! Smart!