Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
andypanda

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by andypanda »

I nearly hit a bald eagle Friday morning on the way to lunch. I was about a mile from the house approaching the first stop sign and as I slowed from 45 to about 20 or 25 a very large bird sprang into the air from behind a bush in a ditch. In the first instant as I jammed on the brakes I thought it was a turkey vulture the way it popped up from the shoulder. I was fully expecting the usual load of projectile vomit on the hood and windshield as it lightened its load.

As it got just in front of me at about windshield height it turned and flew just barely in front as I followed it to the stop sign. Still only 12 or so feet off the ground, it kept going across all four lanes and up into the trees, I turned right. What a beautiful sight up close, an adult bald eagle from 15 or 20 feet away.

We live about 10 miles or so SE of Richmond and about a third of mile from the James River so bald eagles are fairly common. Just not in your face. Now if I could find a way to keep the turkeys from coming into the yard and tormenting the dog. He coexists with the daily deer, but he does not like turkeys and purely hates great horned owls for some reason.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Wood Ducks arrived in the creek today. Pretty much the same time as last year.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

andypanda wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:07 am I nearly hit a bald eagle Friday morning on the way to lunch. I was about a mile from the house approaching the first stop sign and as I slowed from 45 to about 20 or 25 a very large bird sprang into the air from behind a bush in a ditch. In the first instant as I jammed on the brakes I thought it was a turkey vulture the way it popped up from the shoulder. I was fully expecting the usual load of projectile vomit on the hood and windshield as it lightened its load.

As it got just in front of me at about windshield height it turned and flew just barely in front as I followed it to the stop sign. Still only 12 or so feet off the ground, it kept going across all four lanes and up into the trees, I turned right. What a beautiful sight up close, an adult bald eagle from 15 or 20 feet away.

We live about 10 miles or so SE of Richmond and about a third of mile from the James River so bald eagles are fairly common. Just not in your face. Now if I could find a way to keep the turkeys from coming into the yard and tormenting the dog. He coexists with the daily deer, but he does not like turkeys and purely hates great horned owls for some reason.
Wow - sounds very cool! So glad the eagle is ok. :happy
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPI9mWmmc7M

My MD eagles have had both eggs fail now. The second egg Pipped but never hatched ;-(
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_r0cM0I-aI

More trash being brought in ;-)

Interesting that the Osprey don't really sit on eggs till they are all laid....

Whelp, looks like she has started laying on the eggs, pretty sure only two came out :D
Last edited by f35phixer on Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackwaterPark10

Post by BlackwaterPark10 »

Well my ruby throated hummingbirds appear to be gone back up north for the summer. It will be any week now my Indigio and Painted Buntings follow suit. Summer is coming to Eastern Central Florida way too quickly!
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

BlackwaterPark10 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:58 am Well my ruby throated hummingbirds appear to be gone back up north for the summer. It will be any week now my Indigio and Painted Buntings follow suit. Summer is coming to Eastern Central Florida way too quickly!
FYI, here is an interesting map for hummingbird sightings and spring migration patterns:

https://www.hummingbirdcentral.com/humm ... 21-map.htm
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I watch that map every year. Will put up my feeder in a couple of weeks.
Arabesque

Post by Arabesque »

Dottie57 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:30 pm
TnGuy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:34 pm Image

We had a rafter (flock) of these up in the woods behind our house last night.

David
Well their long distance cousins here in Minnesota woke me up last week with a loud chorus of gobbling. I thought it was a dream until I saw a rafter of turkeys strolling down the boulevard where I live. Turkeys in the first ring ‘burbs is interesting.
Here in the City of Boston we have lots and lots of turkeys. My daughter even photographed one in the middle of Harvard Square; so they have them in the City of Cambridge, too. Sixty years ago they were a rare sight in rural Pennsylvania.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Arabesque wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:26 am Sixty years ago they were a rare sight in rural Pennsylvania.
Mid-Atlantic generally I think. I seem to recall that they were re-introduced in numerous areas.

Although not re-introduced per se, Bluebirds were much less prevalent a few decades ago until the extensive introduction of Bluebird boxes. Our local Audubon center alone has over sixty BB boxes maintained and monitored by local volunteers.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:16 am I watch that map every year. Will put up my feeder in a couple of weeks.
I plan to do the same - around April 15 (even if we get some April snow storms......) :beer
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Took a walk at NJ's Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge yesterday. Pair of American Kestrels were hanging out in the still bare trees.
Numerous Eastern Phoebes and a lone Pine Siskin along the road into the swamp.

A pair of flyover Sandhill Cranes - magnificent in flight!

As others have mentioned - Eastern Bluebirds are plentiful here - they are jockeying with the newly arrived Tree Swallows for the nest boxes. Bluebirds won't nest next to each other but tolerate the Tree Swallows! Sometimes, the Carolina or House Wrens take the next-door-neighbor box.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

GG1273 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:58 pm Took a walk at NJ's Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge yesterday. Pair of American Kestrels were hanging out in the still bare trees.
Numerous Eastern Phoebes and a lone Pine Siskin along the road into the swamp.

A pair of flyover Sandhill Cranes - magnificent in flight!

As others have mentioned - Eastern Bluebirds are plentiful here - they are jockeying with the newly arrived Tree Swallows for the nest boxes. Bluebirds won't nest next to each other but tolerate the Tree Swallows! Sometimes, the Carolina or House Wrens take the next-door-neighbor box.
I envy having bluebirds around. Hope I see one someday.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_r0cM0I-aI

looks like we are now in sitting phase, three eggs laid. We have had strong winds, looks like LOTS OF TRASH got blown out. So will be interesting to see what new pieces come from dad :oops:
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

BlackwaterPark10 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:58 am Well my ruby throated hummingbirds appear to be gone back up north for the summer. It will be any week now my Indigio and Painted Buntings follow suit. Summer is coming to Eastern Central Florida way too quickly!

They are on their way to my house. 😁
Not to worry, I take good care of them.

:D
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

GG1273 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:58 pm

My Bluebirds are jockying with the Chikadees for the house. I enjoy having them both so Im not really rooting for one or the other. Maybe they will take turns.
Allixi

Post by Allixi »

After putting it off all winter, I just filled the birdfeeder with sunflower seeds yesterday.

Already seen:

Northern Cardinal
Bluejay
Eastern bluebird
American goldfinch
House finch
Carolina wren
Carolina chickadee
White breasted nuthatch

Edit:
Mourning dove
European starling :x
Last edited by Allixi on Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Vtsax100 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:53 am

They are on their way to my house. 😁
Not to worry, I take good care of them.

:D
+1
Morning temps are above freezing and the days warm into the 50s. Spring in Northern Arizona. New calves run and romp like big puppies amongst Free Range cattle. and mornings previously silent and still with new snow are filled with the sounds of songbirds enjoying the warmth of sunrise.

Time to put up the “hummer” feeder,,,,🌺

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Didn't see Robins this winter - we did have a lot of snow.
Front yard had 14 this morning after rain yesterday - plenty of worms around
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

GG1273 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:09 pm Didn't see Robins this winter - we did have a lot of snow.
Front yard had 14 this morning after rain yesterday - plenty of worms around
I've started to see robins in the last 3-4 weeks. I also saw my first American Goldfinch (male) a couple days ago.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Bluebird nests started in both boxes. Need to watch for egg drop - should be soon after first nest is built. Ospreys really active this week repairing nests downstream. A lot of fish in the creek so I see the Ospreys fly by with a fish pretty regularly.
Allixi

Post by Allixi »

Add Northern mockingbird to the list
This area is crawling with robins (seriously they are everywhere) but I've never seen one actually using the bird feeder.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Robins are generally insect eaters this time of year.
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

Not an experienced bird watcher here, but I recently hung a suet cage in my front yard. So far, I've seen downy and red-bellied woodpeckers, red-winged blackbirds, grackles, and a tiny bird that I think is a nuthatch (not sure). Lots of robins hopping around but they don't touch the feeder.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

mindboggling wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:23 pm Not an experienced bird watcher here, but I recently hung a suet cage in my front yard. So far, I've seen downy and red-bellied woodpeckers, red-winged blackbirds, grackles, and a tiny bird that I think is a nuthatch (not sure). Lots of robins hopping around but they don't touch the feeder.
White Breasted Nuthatch - common here in NJ

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Whi ... uthatch/id
They sound like someone sneezing through their nose

Red Breasted Nuthatch - looks to have a range to NY State
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red ... h/overview
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Stopped by NJ's Great Swamp NWR today and got great looks at a pair of Kestrels who've been hanging out over the fields on the entrance road for a few weeks.

Also - full adult Bald Eagle, they nest here as well.

Non-bird, a River Otter was on the bank of one of the ponds this morning...
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Had a Palm Warbler in the yard today foraging in the leaves that I have to pick up :oops:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Palm_Warbler/id

Made a nice contrast with the Slate Colored Juncos who should be heading back to Canada soon.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Dark-eyed_Junco/id
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

A Canadian crested warbler
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I thought some of you would enjoy this photo that I took:

Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
SundayMorning

Post by SundayMorning »

I am seeing a Robin everyday for a week. Flying into my palladium window...for 7 or 8 hours..a..day.
Driving my wife and I crazeeee. :twisted:
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

livesoft wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:10 am I thought some of you would enjoy this photo that I took:

Awesome! I've never seen one. This says they mostly breed in Australia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swan
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3HDROQc2eU

all I'm going to say is WOW, Just WOW.

Who would have Thunk building a nest here?????????????????

This one will be cool watching the feeding once they hatch! Rescind that, they have hatched !

below is story of the nest build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRNCQph-gkg
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

f35phixer wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:59 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3HDROQc2eU

all I'm going to say is WOW, Just WOW.

Who would have Thunk building a nest here?????????????????

This one will be cool watching the feeding once they hatch! Rescind that, they have hatched !

below is story of the nest build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRNCQph-gkg
This is great! :happy
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

FYI:

Birding festivals posted by The Cornell Lab (North America & several other countries):

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/bird ... -320277057
kd2008

Post by kd2008 »

Here in NE Oklahoma:

So many cardinals - living as family and their sweet sounds
Lots of robins
Doves
Pigeons
Many kinds of finches
Hawks :shock:
Blue jays :x beautiful but don't play nice with others
European starling invasion :x rats of avian world
Woodpeckers
Old world sparrows
Brown trasher

We live in urban area so the variety is limited
agbp

Post by agbp »

We saw our first hummingbird (male) on the feeder. :D Also have bluebirds in one of our two boxes. The other box doesn't seem to be occupied.
This is central NC.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

agbp wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:40 pm We saw our first hummingbird (male) on the feeder. :D Also have bluebirds in one of our two boxes. The other box doesn't seem to be occupied.
This is central NC.
Cool! I heard a hummingbird yesterday but haven't seen any (yet). I've been seeing quite a few Say's Phoebes though. I also saw a few Scrub Jays (Woodhouse) recently.

My dog loves to chase Cooper's Hawks away from the back yard as he did yesterday. He cares less about the smaller birds.
Van

Post by Van »

I'm not a birder, but I'm amazed at the barn swallows that return to our barn in Pennsylvania within a week or two of April 15. I understand that they winter in Argentina. Can you believe that??? They build nests in our horse barn, have their babies and then leave at the end of the summer for Argentina. If I have my facts straight, this is absolutely astounding.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

^^ I think the Arctic Tern migrates from the Arctic to Antarctica and back every year. One of the longest migration paths. A lot of shorebirds also migrate pretty far. They fly up to the arctic/northern latitudes, breed and leave right after the chicks hatch. Chicks are left pretty much to fend for themselves and find their own way south. As a result, we get shore birds migrating north through our area in April/May and then by late July they are back in the area migrating south.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Lots of Yellow Shafted Flickers showed up yesterday. We usually have a few spend the winter but the rest migrate out of NJ. Park nearby has had a pair of Kestrel's around for a few weeks - fun to watch them hunt in the fields from a tree perch.

White Throated Sparrows will move on further north soon but they are singing before dawn each morning. Their song is very easy to learn and they will duet with you. Looks like the Dark Eyed Juncos moved on a few days ago.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Whi ... ser/476673
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

First Goslings of the year.....

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Killdeer nest from last week. Same place as last year. The nest is out in the open. Mom was nearby and was not happy. When they hatch, they quickly vacate the nest, are only thumb sized, and not discernible in the grass unless they move, then they look like a moving fuzz ball.

Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

House Finches just built a nest on top of my down spout. Im assuming there are eggs as mom sits there most of the day. Im looking forward to watching these guys around the yard. The babies are always very active and vocal flying around with their parents feeding them.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Van wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:57 pm I'm not a birder, but I'm amazed at the barn swallows that return to our barn in Pennsylvania within a week or two of April 15. I understand that they winter in Argentina. Can you believe that??? They build nests in our horse barn, have their babies and then leave at the end of the summer for Argentina. If I have my facts straight, this is absolutely astounding.
I get barn swallows on my porch every year but I haven't seen any yet.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

RetiredAL wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:45 pm Killdeer nest from last week. Same place as last year. The nest is out in the open. Mom was nearby and was not happy. When they hatch, they quickly vacate the nest, are only thumb sized, and not discernible in the grass unless they move, then they look like a moving fuzz ball.

Nice!

One neat thing about the parents is that they will pretend to be injured if you get too close and will sort of limp away from you - you're supposed to be drawn away from the nest to go after the parents. They'll fly off once you move far enough away from the nest.

Broken wing display
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Kil ... r/64809631

One year, I tried to walk backwards and they didn't do the display so they must focus on your eyes to gage if you are a danger to the chicks.

Neat birds, we'll see them more often in a few weeks from now in NJ.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

GG1273 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:43 pm

Nice!

One neat thing about the parents is that they will pretend to be injured if you get too close and will sort of limp away from you - you're supposed to be drawn away from the nest to go after the parents. They'll fly off once you move far enough away from the nest.

Broken wing display

One year, I tried to walk backwards and they didn't do the display so they must focus on your eyes to gage if you are a danger to the chicks.

Here's the mom, she came to 8ft of me as I took the nest picture.

GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

RetiredAL wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:00 pm
GG1273 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:43 pm

Nice!

Broken wing display

Here's the mom, she came to 8ft of me as I took the nest picture.

Great picture - they make quite a bit of noise too to make sure you're focused on them instead of the nest.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Yes, the are quite protective parents. Beside the Mom fake, Dad showed up too.

Last year, when the babies were about a week old and I was watching them bob around in the adjacent lawn area, both she and Dad alerted, the babies all ran under Mom, and Dad flew off towards a hawk as distraction. Mr hawk paid no attention to Dad, Mom, or the babies, and kept flying right out of sight.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Last week, I found that a male cardinal had died inside of the shed I am building. No idea what happened to it.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html#

Welcome to SWFEC. E17 & E18's Hatch Date 1-23-21: E17 FLEDGED 4-14-21 at 1:42:12pm; E18 branched: 3-27-21 at 10:13am. Chat is open.

Something good has happened !!!