What will you do first, once COVID pandemic is over?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Shackleton

Re: What will you do first, once COVID pandemic is over?

Post by Shackleton »

cheese_breath wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:29 am
WoodSpinner wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:43 am
BusterScruggs wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:54 am
cheese_breath wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:52 am I'm going back to the nursing home to be with DW. I've been locked out since March 13th, and it doesn't look like the lockdown is going to end soon.
Prayers for you. That hits home as how bad this has been on families in your position. I wish you both good health.
+1, strange times ....

Are you able to phone or FaceTime with her?
She was mentally and physically damaged by the stroke and can't dial or answer a phone. I set up a Chromebook to videoconference with my iPhone so we can at least see each other that way. The procedure is a little klutzy since she can’t operate the CB herself. I need to phone the NH and have them initiate the link, and then place the CB where she can see it. We ‘talk’ every day (actually I do almost all the talking) for about 20 minutes, and then she gets tired and wants to sleep. I think she’s already getting depressed, and we’re only three weeks into the lockdown.
I tried doing skype with my mom who is in a memory care facility (the caregivers setup the skype session on her end.) But it just seemed to confuse her more and she'd ask why I was calling over a computer (something she had never done in her life before, so it made no sense to her.) And since she literally can't remember anything from one minute to the next, even though I explained why we had to talk this way, she just wanted to hang up and talk to me when I "got there". Overall, it seemed to confuse and upset her more than help her, so we haven't attempted it a second time.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:16 pm
Keenobserver wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:16 am Immediately start preparing for Covid 2.0
So do you plan to spend the rest of your life preparing for the next disaster?
I guess you are not one too used to sarcasm?
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

mrspock wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:38 pm Curious what everyone's plans are once the pandemic is over -- ("over" being defined as social distancing measures are rescinded)?
I've put some thought into this over the last few days and my answer is: I just don’t know yet.

DH and I are in the “high risk” category. We are concerned that after social distancing measures are gone that some people may get lax and there could be a new wave of illnesses. Therefore, we are reluctant to make any plans for the foreseeable future, which is very different from how we normally have operated.
Topic Author
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

DesertDiva wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:42 am
mrspock wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:38 pm Curious what everyone's plans are once the pandemic is over -- ("over" being defined as social distancing measures are rescinded)?
I've put some thought into this over the last few days and my answer is: I just don’t know yet.

DH and I are in the “high risk” category. We are concerned that after social distancing measures are gone that some people may get lax and there could be a new wave of illnesses. Therefore, we are reluctant to make any plans for the foreseeable future, which is very different from how we normally have operated.
You raise an interesting point. "Over" will be defined differently, depending different risk factors. For many it will be defined as when they achieve immunity from COVID-19, so depending how long a vaccine takes to develop, it could be many months before things are truly back to normal.

On this note, let's hope we achieve herd immunity relatively quick, so those more vulnerable can feel safe, with a vaccine soon to follow.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

mrspock wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:42 am
DesertDiva wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:42 am

You raise an interesting point. "Over" will be defined differently, depending different risk factors. For many it will be defined as when they achieve immunity from COVID-19, so depending how long a vaccine takes to develop, it could be many months before things are truly back to normal.

On this note, let's hope we achieve herd immunity relatively quick, so those more vulnerable can feel safe, with a vaccine soon to follow.
We can hope! In the meantime, our lives will be different for an undetermined amount of time. I will be following developments in China, Italy and Spain, which could provide clues as to what happens once people stop social distancing.
ivyhedge

Post by ivyhedge »

McGilicutty wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:54 pm As an introvert, I'm digging this social distancing. Working from home in my sweats ... can't beat it. If I survive this thing, I guess one of the first things I'll have to do is go back into work. Bleh.
^This. My spouse and I really do enjoy being with folks in some social settings, but - as we enter our fourth week in our home office - we appreciate that we have been more efficient and focused here than at work (fewer distractions and great tech). Plus, we see more of each other!

Our rather antisocial shiba inu, on the other hand, would like a *total return* of his space...to him.

What will change for us? Eventually, we will return to our haunts around the city: dining, theater, and hiking near and far. Otherwise, there won't be too much difference from now.
Polymath.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Foredeck wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:13 pm My takeaways.

1.) Like I have an emergency fund, I'm going to have an emergency food supply. Enough for 2 to 4 weeks.

2.) I live in a cold northern city. My furnace went out last weekend. Not an ideal thing to have happen during a pandemic. I'm thinking about putting in a second heating source. Maybe a pellet stove or fire place. In addition going to get a back up generator in case we lose power.

3.) I'm buying a bidet toilet seat. Laugh all you want. This removes the need for toilet paper.

4.) Keep couple bottles of wine and a case of beer on hand. I didn't make it to the liquor store and not risking it now.

5.) Going to keep a well stocked first aid kit with gloves and masks. I've taken first aid training and want to also keep up on that.

6.) Lastly, if I survive this experience, I want to leave living in the city. Like to have some land. Be far far away from people.
I like your list. We are going to do very similar things.

I am reading the book "Norweigan Wood" at the moment. I can't find where in the text right now, but I recollect that the book stated that houses are required to have a second heat source, as Norway winters can kill if you cannot heat. Interesting, right?

I'll try to go back and cite where, or correct if I find I was mistaken.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

jebmke wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:45 pm It isn't like there will be a vaccine or cure.
Why do you say there won't be a vaccine? It might be a year out and this might not be fully "over" until it is out, but I am pretty sure we will have a vaccine from what I understand.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

Restart my move, which is at M minus 7 days and holding. Garage full of cartons. Packed everything I thought I could live without for “just a week”. Will need to unpack my crockpot and recipe books today or tomorrow. Paid April rent on the deluxe apartment in the sky, but sheltering in place in the more secluded big house.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

TallBoy29er wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:26 pm
Foredeck wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:13 pm My takeaways. . . . .

6.) Lastly, if I survive this experience, I want to leave living in the city. Like to have some land. Be far far away from people.
I like your list. We are going to do very similar things.
Keep in mind that “far away from people” means far away from health care.
bluelight

Post by bluelight »

Visit my grand kids. I miss them.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

1 Hit some of my favorites restaurants
2. Catch a show
3. Afternoon in Central Park
4. Catch up with my clients
5. Do any last minute business problems
6. Since all clients are on remote -- I plan to take 6-8 weeks
OUT of my apartment (which I am staying in exclusively).
First to the Canadian Rockies, then Seattle, Portland/Bend OR,
then Utah (Zion/Bryce) and finally San Francisco.

I hope when it leaves; it's permanent and not returning in the fall.
STAY SAFE.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

DaftInvestor wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:30 pm
jebmke wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:45 pm It isn't like there will be a vaccine or cure.
Why do you say there won't be a vaccine? It might be a year out and this might not be fully "over" until it is out, but I am pretty sure we will have a vaccine from what I understand.
That's true but the all clear siren will go off well before that. Somethings will be less risky than others. Without a vaccine or very effective treatment, I can't see getting on an airplane or going to a theater. Restaurants (the ones that survive) will need to re-tool to create distance between tables that doesn't exist today. I was more addressing the time when the lock downs are lifted and typical routines are re-started - which should be some time this summer I would expect. I think many things will still be risky for many people after the lock downs are lifted.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Seriously thinking about putting in a pool to keep my kids outside 24/7 while I work inside.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

jebmke wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:00 pm
That's true but the all clear siren will go off well before that. Somethings will be less risky than others. Without a vaccine or very effective treatment, I can't see getting on an airplane or going to a theater. Restaurants (the ones that survive) will need to re-tool to create distance between tables that doesn't exist today. I was more addressing the time when the lock downs are lifted and typical routines are re-started - which should be some time this summer I would expect. I think many things will still be risky for many people after the lock downs are lifted.
I am not convinced an "all clear siren" will go off well before then and an "typical routine" will be restarted. If it does I fear a second spike. We've never seen anything like this before - I wouldn't assume in 2 or 3 months we can just pretend nothing happened. I believe the "all clear, back to normal" won't happen until the vaccine is released. I hate to sound negative (and hope I am wrong) given what we are all hoping for but I am preparing just in case.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

I think I would like to take my little girl on a playdate with her friends before that nice dinner out with our friends. It must be so hard for them to understand. She talks about what we can do when "the disease" goes away. It's heartbreaking.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

DaftInvestor wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:06 pm I am not convinced an "all clear siren" will go off well before then and an "typical routine" will be restarted. If it does I fear a second spike. We've never seen anything like this before - I wouldn't assume in 2 or 3 months we can just pretend nothing happened. I believe the "all clear, back to normal" won't happen until the vaccine is released.
I agree but many of the posts on this thread seem to imply that it will be sometime in the near term (next couple of months). I think it will be gradual - I can see getting out and seeing some people I know because I trust them when they tell me they were not having out in a local tavern. Some typical things may never come back. Even before this pandemic, cruise ships were a health bombshell waiting to happen. I suspect that a lot of short hop air routes will disappear completely due to low demand.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

I haven't read all the comments, but man oh man are people exaggerating how long this will last. Saying things like, "not when but if" and "things will never go back to normal." So what, humans are just going to go extinct from this? This isn't even anywhere near the most deadly virus humanity has ever suffered from, and every one we've ever had was far from being permanent or some sort of extinction event. I've seen people saying things like cruises will never come back, buffets will never come back, movie theaters will never come back, etc. I don't mean to sound harsh or downplay the suffering of those who will pass from this virus, but if all the restrictions were lifted today and everyone went on cruises, the vast majority of humanity would be minimally impacted, probably develop some degree of resistance if not outright immunity, and within a couple of years, it would become at worst a minor seasonal thing like the flu, and quite possibly mostly disappear. The idea that the world is never going to recover from this and the only survivors are going to be those who invested in nuclear bunkers and dried food stores is just so far off the mark. Now, to be fair, this current state of affairs could last quite a while, and for good reason. But no, human civilization is not going to crumble for all eternity. It didn't in the Middle Ages, and those were much darker times when humans had far less capacity and tools to sustain each other.

For me, I'm so loaded up with travel points from credit card bonuses that I started accumulating several months back. I hate stashing them for extended periods of time because they're liable to get devalued by the programs, especially when struggling like they are now. But what's frustrating is after my wife had complained we weren't traveling enough and I started using credit cards to get travel rewards, she insisted we attend a timeshare presentation thing in Tahoe for the reward travel. So now we have this timeshare thing we have to book by the end of the year, yet I'm sitting on a treasure chest of points which were intended for fun travel, and all our relatives are begging us to visit them when things calm down because we had to postpone family trips. I realize this is a good problem to have, but it's a problem nonetheless. I'm pretty stocked up on PTO at work so I can afford to take time off, but man, it almost feels like I'm forced to vacation just to offload some of these things.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:01 pm Give my daughters and grandchildren big hugs.

DD's have isolated their families from DW and I, for our benefit.

We are using FaceTime in the meantime.

Can't wait to see them in real time, physical presence.

I really miss my littles! :(

Broken Man 1999
Awe!! I hope you get to hug them soon.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

srt7 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:58 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:01 pm Give my daughters and grandchildren big hugs.

DD's have isolated their families from DW and I, for our benefit.

We are using FaceTime in the meantime.

Can't wait to see them in real time, physical presence.

I really miss my littles! :(

Broken Man 1999
Awe!! I hope you get to hug them soon.
Thanks! We have been social distancing for weeks now, so we should come thru this just fine.

Now I know how one set of grandparents must feel, as they live up north. They must miss them most of the time. DW and I have been spoiled, for sure.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
rich126

Post by rich126 »

dboeger1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:34 pm I haven't read all the comments, but man oh man are people exaggerating how long this will last. Saying things like, "not when but if" and "things will never go back to normal." So what, humans are just going to go extinct from this? This isn't even anywhere near the most deadly virus humanity has ever suffered from, and every one we've ever had was far from being permanent or some sort of extinction event. I've seen people saying things like cruises will never come back, buffets will never come back, movie theaters will never come back, etc. I don't mean to sound harsh or downplay the suffering of those who will pass from this virus, but if all the restrictions were lifted today and everyone went on cruises, the vast majority of humanity would be minimally impacted, probably develop some degree of resistance if not outright immunity, and within a couple of years, it would become at worst a minor seasonal thing like the flu, and quite possibly mostly disappear. The idea that the world is never going to recover from this and the only survivors are going to be those who invested in nuclear bunkers and dried food stores is just so far off the mark. Now, to be fair, this current state of affairs could last quite a while, and for good reason. But no, human civilization is not going to crumble for all eternity. It didn't in the Middle Ages, and those were much darker times when humans had far less capacity and tools to sustain each other.

For me, I'm so loaded up with travel points from credit card bonuses that I started accumulating several months back. I hate stashing them for extended periods of time because they're liable to get devalued by the programs, especially when struggling like they are now. But what's frustrating is after my wife had complained we weren't traveling enough and I started using credit cards to get travel rewards, she insisted we attend a timeshare presentation thing in Tahoe for the reward travel. So now we have this timeshare thing we have to book by the end of the year, yet I'm sitting on a treasure chest of points which were intended for fun travel, and all our relatives are begging us to visit them when things calm down because we had to postpone family trips. I realize this is a good problem to have, but it's a problem nonetheless. I'm pretty stocked up on PTO at work so I can afford to take time off, but man, it almost feels like I'm forced to vacation just to offload some of these things.
At least one airline doesn't agree with you.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52209591
Lufthansa is closing its Germanwings budget airline as part of a wider cutback driven by a decline in travel due to the coronavirus.

The German airline said it would de-commission more than 40 aircraft, warning that it does not expect demand to return for "years".
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

Assuming I survive, the first things I'll do are attend memorial services and visit graves.
PJW
sergeant

Post by sergeant »

The Common Cold is basically four different types of Corona Virus. We don't have a vaccine or cure for it. We also aren't immune once we get it. Hopefully we do develop a vaccine but we are far from a guaranteed vaccine in a year or two.
AA- 20+ Years of Expenses Fixed Income/The remainder in Equities.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

sergeant wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:19 pm

The Common Cold is basically four different types of Corona Virus. We don't have a vaccine or cure for it. We also aren't immune once we get it. Hopefully we do develop a vaccine but we are far from a guaranteed vaccine in a year or two.
Cornaviruses cause some colds, there are many other viruses that cause colds.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/166606
All about the common cold

It is the most common infectious disease in humans and is mainly caused by coronaviruses or rhinoviruses.

Because there are more than 200 viruses that cause the common cold, the human body can never build up resistance to all of them. This is why colds are so common and often return. According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), adults get 2–3 colds per year, and children may have up to 12 per year.

The common cold can be caused by more than 200 different viruses. Around 50 percent of colds are caused by rhinoviruses, other cold-causing viruses include:

human parainfluenza virus
Human metapneumovirus
coronaviruses adenovirus
human respiratory syncytial virus
enteroviruses
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
as9

Post by as9 »

I think I already posted in this thread, but holy crap am I craving sushi.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

sergeant wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:19 pm
To add, even if a perfect vaccine were available today, and there's no reason to believe in such a faerie story, even in a fast-track process human trials, three phases, to establish in the first phase the vaccine is safe, in the second phase that it helps, and in the third phase that it reliably helps, in an optimistic case it will take about a year and a half. That's if a perfect vaccine were available today.

If a perfect vaccine isn't available today it will be still longer until a generally useful one is available and proven.
Then we'll have to manufacture it in bulk to immunize everyone in rich countries. I don't like to imagine what will happen to those in systemic poverty, but my imagining it or not won't change the reality of the world.

I should think as a public health matter, here where we're rich, more vulnerable people will be prioritized. That's good, but it won't stop community spread. It's what we saw in the US in 2009.

We don't want excessive optimism on the part of any individual who may or may not have a financial interest in the outcome, or any other person, to overtake double-blind tests to determine if any vaccine, on an overall basis, is a net positive or negative.

There is also the anti-vaccination portion of our population. What will we do to help them? We have to do something.

PJW
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I think you have to be able to see a way through this. Right now I do what I have to do to try to keep myself and others safe. That said I spend a lot of time thinking about what I want to do on the other side of this.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

rich126 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:50 pm
dboeger1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:34 pm I haven't read all the comments, but man oh man are people exaggerating how long this will last. Saying things like, "not when but if" and "things will never go back to normal." So what, humans are just going to go extinct from this? This isn't even anywhere near the most deadly virus humanity has ever suffered from, and every one we've ever had was far from being permanent or some sort of extinction event. I've seen people saying things like cruises will never come back, buffets will never come back, movie theaters will never come back, etc. I don't mean to sound harsh or downplay the suffering of those who will pass from this virus, but if all the restrictions were lifted today and everyone went on cruises, the vast majority of humanity would be minimally impacted, probably develop some degree of resistance if not outright immunity, and within a couple of years, it would become at worst a minor seasonal thing like the flu, and quite possibly mostly disappear. The idea that the world is never going to recover from this and the only survivors are going to be those who invested in nuclear bunkers and dried food stores is just so far off the mark. Now, to be fair, this current state of affairs could last quite a while, and for good reason. But no, human civilization is not going to crumble for all eternity. It didn't in the Middle Ages, and those were much darker times when humans had far less capacity and tools to sustain each other.

At least one airline doesn't agree with you.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52209591
Lufthansa is closing its Germanwings budget airline as part of a wider cutback driven by a decline in travel due to the coronavirus.

The German airline said it would de-commission more than 40 aircraft, warning that it does not expect demand to return for "years".
Except I didn't claim all demand and economic activity would return to its peaks immediately. Of course shutting down a highly leveraged global economy for an extended period of time is going to result in significant prolonged contraction, with some companies and individuals losing more than others. But that's still a far cry from being the end of all things. I keep hearing and reading things from people who seem convinced that we'll never do certain things again, and unless things get dramatically worse in unforeseen ways, I just don't see how that's in the realm of plausibility. To be fair, older times like the Middle Ages are maybe not directly comparable to the modern world, but the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic was post-industrialization and does provide a more directly comparable example. That flu may have killed a quarter of the global population, which was orders of magnitude more devastating than even the absolute worst projections of COVID-19 over several cycles with absolutely no mitigation, meanwhile the globe is actually collectively doing very intense mitigation and has significantly better capabilities to ramp up production and deployment of medical needs and search for cures than we did 100 years ago.

Did humans stop riding trains, going to hospitals, building cities, playing sports, going to school, working in offices, producing goods, going to restaurants, or any number of other things since the 1918 flu? No, not even close. The opposite happened. Despite significant turmoil in the form of an economic depression and several global wars, humanity went on to rapidly industrialize, make scientific discoveries, usher in the Information age, explore space, and lift billions out of abject poverty. I happen to enjoy going to Las Vegas and eating at buffets, so I'll use that as an example. I keep hearing people say things like Las Vegas casinos will never have buffets again due to fears of liability for spreading coronavirus. What?! There's a good chance we'll have a cure in a couple of years, and again, the total number of deaths in the US (I haven't been following the global numbers as closely so I can't say much about them other than they're nowhere near a quarter of humanity) is likely to number in the tens of thousands, which yes is sad, but historically speaking a drop in the bucket. I firmly believe humanity is not just going to slowly wither away in individual caves for the next 100 years over this. That'd be like ending the NFL and all football forever because a little kid stubbed his toe in a touch football game in the yard with his friends. It's just a ridiculous overreaction. Lufthansa may shut down a regional subsidiary (possibly only for a few years before reopening it or otherwise repurposing its capacity, which of course they can't tell you as of the today), but it's not the end of all aviation.
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate »

dboeger1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:34 pm I haven't read all the comments, but man oh man are people exaggerating how long this will last. Saying things like, "not when but if" and "things will never go back to normal."
Looks like you expect some magic sign from officials (I guess the same ones who were telling us that it’s just a flu) that it’s over.
Well it might be like that (in a couple of months) if you’re in your early 20s, athletic, no preconditions.
For folks like me (early 40s, ok health) I expect WAY longer timeframe. They need to understand how to recognize and treat the virus. H1N1 is 10yrs old and the healthcare didn’t find a good way so far.
For my parents (mid 70s, many preconditions) - I don’t think it’ll return back to normal For them during their lifetime.
:(
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

I hope to get on with the life I had planned - volunteering to complete certification to become a Master Gardener but now everything has been cancelled. I did the theoretical part to become a Master Gardener last fall. I was looking forward to volunteer activities to learn more. One of the projects was to teach children about plants. We had completed all of the planning but it was cancelled. I had enrolled for a lot of lectures - all cancelled except one on Zoom. I had been looking forward to working on a farm that raises food for a food bank - cancelled. So I am trying to learn at home with a whole bunch of seedlings, steel bookcases, pots and grow lights. Thank you Amazon for delivering some of the stuff. My bare root strawberries are stuck somewhere in one of their warehouses as it is not a priority. I am resisting the temptation to go and buy some stuff at Home Depot. Our governor in Michigan is set to extend the Stay-at-Home order. My seedlings are already starting to grow and I may get the chance to plant then outdoors soon - if that pesky black squirrel will stop digging them all up!

Best wishes to all.

Lynette
ThunderTurtle

Post by ThunderTurtle »

Stock up on a few weeks of food, toilet paper and sanitizer. It's no longer fun trying to get delivery or pickup.

Resume our plan to visit family in California.

Start watching real estate prices with hope that we can move back to California without a fat mortgage (Texas has allowed us mortgage-free living).

Go to Barnes & Noble and IKEA. Touch hard surfaces in public places again.

Continue being cautious. Is this virus going to return like the flu when it gets cold again? Still no vaccine.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I am an introvert, so social distancing is what I do anyways!

Unfortunately I operate an essential business, so I am working 6 days a week at my store.

I would like to plan an amazing vacation once it is safe to do so. Last year was a rough year for my kiddo, diagnosed with Chron’s ( had to cancel a cruise 2 days before departing ), multiple hospitalizations, recently surgery to remove problematic section of small intestines. Surgery was in Feb, now once she is healed up and released to normal activity we have this Virus to worry about. She falls in the high risk category as immunosuppressed.

So we love to cruise, but that likely will not be our next vacation for obvious reasons. Will probably venture to the Caribbean for an all inclusive vacation, possibly introduce her to scuba. Or a road trip, kiddo has her learners permit and loves to drive.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
ccf

Post by ccf »

Visit my family, especially the new babies.

Go see some bands.

Work on some new friendships.
Orbuculum Nongata

Post by Orbuculum Nongata »

Keenobserver wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:16 am Immediately start preparing for Covid 2.0
Don’t forget Y3K. It’s coming.
I think I can > I believe I can > I did
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

1) Go to a restaurant
2) Visit family
3) Buy summer clothes/shoes for family

I thought I was an introvert, but maybe I am not as much as I thought I was- I sure do miss being out and about.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

winterfan wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:48 am 1) Go to a restaurant
2) Visit family
3) Buy summer clothes/shoes for family

I thought I was an introvert, but maybe I am not as much as I thought I was- I sure do miss being out and about.
I'm not a people person but I greatly miss just going out to a bar, sit outside on the patio/bar, have a drink and people watch and enjoy the weather. Everyone once in a while, I think "Tomorrow is Friday, time for HH." Then reality hits :(

While people tend to forget things quickly, I do think more than a few will change things in their lives for a while after this. Some will be much more careful, others will try to fit in things while they still have good health (travel, visiting family, enjoying life more). During this disaster I found out that two casual friends (friend of a friend and an online friend in a gaming league) both were diagnose with Stage 4 cancer (one was colon and one was liver) so that just hammers home how quickly things can change.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

Pomegranate wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:25 am
dboeger1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:34 pm I haven't read all the comments, but man oh man are people exaggerating how long this will last. Saying things like, "not when but if" and "things will never go back to normal."
Looks like you expect some magic sign from officials (I guess the same ones who were telling us that it’s just a flu) that it’s over.
Well it might be like that (in a couple of months) if you’re in your early 20s, athletic, no preconditions.
For folks like me (early 40s, ok health) I expect WAY longer timeframe. They need to understand how to recognize and treat the virus. H1N1 is 10yrs old and the healthcare didn’t find a good way so far.
For my parents (mid 70s, many preconditions) - I don’t think it’ll return back to normal For them during their lifetime.
I am older than you and am ready to be let out of house arrest. This has to end sooner rather than later.

I understand everyone's comfort level is different. Some are wearing gloves to the grocery store and spraying everything with bleach before they bring their purchases in the house. They then remove all their clothes and shower. I do none of that. When I get home, I wash my hands. That's it.

Let's let those who are concerned stay in and have all their items delivered. That is their prerogative. Don't force the all rest of us to do it.
Last edited by Turbo29 on Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
fatcoffeedrinker

Post by fatcoffeedrinker »

Turbo29 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:06 am
I am older than you and am ready to be let out of house arrest. This has to end sooner rather than later.

I understand everyone's comfort level is different. Some are wearing gloves to the grocery store and spraying everything with bleach before they bring their purchases in the house. They then remove all their clothes and shower. I do none of that. When I get homo, I wash my hands. That's it.

Let's let those who are concerned stay in and have all their items delivered. That is their prerogative. Don't force the all rest of us to do it.
+1

^^And that is what I do as well (51 and in good health).
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate »

Turbo29 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:06 am

I do none of that. When I get home, I wash my hands. That's it.
Well, if you love risk it's up to you :sharebeer
swordandscales

Post by swordandscales »

It is most certainly seeing our family and beloved friends.

My best friend and his wife delivered a small gift for our daughter after she broke her arm (of all the times to do so!). Just seeing them, socially distant, on our doorstep was intensely bittersweet. I cannot wait to have them over for game night again.
Discipline is freedom. | -Jocko Willink
mnnice

Post by mnnice »

I suppose I should restart my planning for a high school grad party for my kid.
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

I realize the risk profile is different for different folks, but there's nothing magic about my point, nor does it have anything to do with any flu or politician. What you described with regards to recognizing and treating the virus actually exists to an extent today. Yes, the world is playing catch-up with regards to testing, and trying desperately to mitigate so as to stay under medical capacity, but otherwise, testing methodologies and capacity have improved dramatically, and the vast majority of infected people will require minimal care. It's primarily the people who develop ARDS who have seriously negative outlooks, and while nobody likes to hear 50% survival rate, that's actually significantly better odds than going untreated. So in the immediate term, probably the single greatest limiting factor is ventilator capacity, and that's actively being worked on in parallel with mitigation. In addition to ventilation treatments, numerous drugs and vaccines are in highly prioritized trials around the world.

Is all of that scary? Yes. Should it keep us our in homes for the time being? Yes. But it was never my intention to debate those points, only the significant number of comments I keep reading about how things will never go back to normal in our lifetimes. For anyone younger than your parents, I think that's just excessively sensationalist pessimism. As for your parents, we'll see, and I certainly wish them the best, but I have a good feeling they'll see things go back to normal. Many people live into their 80's and 90's, and I just don't see society shutting down for that many years over this. Even the worst-case projections simply don't justify that if history is anything to go by. If I'm wrong and Vegas buffets really are gone (I mean the business model; obviously individual instances may close or pivot as business conditions dictate) 5 years from now, I'll eat my own words, but it would have to get a heck of a lot worse than it appears to be now for that to be the case.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Presintense wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:45 am Don’t forget Y3K. It’s coming.
Year 2038 is coming long before that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I love staying home and working from home, so if it were up to me I would do nothing different. My boyfriend jokes that I'm the only person he knows for whom house arrest would probably sound like heaven.
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate »

dboeger1 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:26 pm
I keep reading about how things will never go back to normal in our lifetimes. For anyone younger than your parents, I think that's just excessively sensationalist pessimism. As for your parents, we'll see, and I certainly wish them the best, but I have a good feeling they'll see things go back to normal.
Talking about timeframes - optimistic forecast from the scientists is 18 months to develop a vaccine. That's some low boundary meaningful estimate (I don't take into account talking heads promising BIG things to happen before Easter). High boundary - 10 years (H1N1 is a good example).
For me - I believe I'll be able to return to my normal lifestyle. For my parents (nobody among my relatives lived longer than 80) - I don't think so :(
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

Presintense wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:45 am
Don’t forget Y3K. It’s coming.
Unix end of time is coming in 2038. There will always be big scary problems to solve. All 32 bit computers running UNIX/Linux type OSs typically store their time as number of seconds since Jan1, 1970. In 2038, all of these systems will roll over and act like it’s early 1900. Many of those systems are on embedded platforms that work in safety critical systems. It’s basically Y2K in a more digitized world.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

phantom0308 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:47 pm Unix end of time is coming in 2038. There will always be big scary problems to solve. All 32 bit computers running UNIX/Linux type OSs typically store their time as number of seconds since Jan1, 1970. In 2038, all of these systems will roll over and act like it’s early 1900. Many of those systems are on embedded platforms that work in safety critical systems. It’s basically Y2K in a more digitized world.
Yes. I mentioned this earlier. I have fixed my share of both Y2K and Y2038 problems over the years/decades. I'm sure there are plenty of the later left in a lot of codebases.
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

madbrain wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:50 am
phantom0308 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:47 pm Unix end of time is coming in 2038. There will always be big scary problems to solve. All 32 bit computers running UNIX/Linux type OSs typically store their time as number of seconds since Jan1, 1970. In 2038, all of these systems will roll over and act like it’s early 1900. Many of those systems are on embedded platforms that work in safety critical systems. It’s basically Y2K in a more digitized world.
Yes. I mentioned this earlier. I have fixed my share of both Y2K and Y2038 problems over the years/decades. I'm sure there are plenty of the later left in a lot of codebases.
Noticed that after I posted. :sharebeer
I’m working on a code base now relying on NTP time which has a similar end time (2036, unsigned since 1/1/1900). Even though I’ve brought it up a couple times no one really cares, so I’m not at all surprised.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

phantom0308 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:06 am I’m working on a code base now relying on NTP time which has a similar end time (2036, unsigned since 1/1/1900). Even though I’ve brought it up a couple times no one really cares, so I’m not at all surprised.
The Y2038 bugs I fixed were in X.509 certificate handling. That was a while ago. Didn't know NTP had its own separate epoch.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Turbo29 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:06 am Let's let those who are concerned stay in and have all their items delivered. That is their prerogative. Don't force the all rest of us to do it.
+1000