Stand Mixer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
masteraleph

Re: Stand Mixer

Post by masteraleph » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:12 am

We pretty rarely use ours. We don't grind meat or make pasta at home, and the hand mixer handles batters and cakes and such pretty well (or even the immersion blender whisk attachment for really small quantities). We do make bread, but rarely the kind that needs intense kneading, and it's more fun to use your hands, anyways. Also, we live in a small apartment, so it lives on top of our cabinets for storage space. The hand mixer lives in a cabinet, and the immersion blender in a drawer. Takes up too much valuable kitchen real estate and weighs too much to be worth hauling out very much.

Abe

Post by Abe » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:09 pm

A few years ago, I bought my wife a Kitchenaid mixer for Christmas. She very seldom uses it because she can't disengage the mixing bowl from the base plate. The only way she can disengage the bowl, once locked in, is to hit it with a rubber hammer (mallet). I always thought Kitchenaid products were top of the line. Not anymore.

ETA Click on the link below to see how I found out about the mallet technique: Oh, the mallet DOES NOT come with the mixer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFLmvW2F_zo
Last edited by Abe on Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Jb526

Post by Jb526 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:25 pm

The Kenmore Ovation stand mixer is a tremendous pleasure to use, and I prefer it over a KitchenAid Artisan. The Ovation's bowl is substantial and sturdy. The sound of the motor is pleasant. And the mixing action is delicate while still being efficient and swift. The Ovation also looks ten times better than anything from any other mixer brand. The main benefit is that you can easily add ingredients without turning off the mixer, and all ingredients stay inside the bowl.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:55 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:20 am
DarthSage wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:41 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:17 pm
DTalos wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:47 am
TheGreyingDuke wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:00 am
I assume you are talking about the Kitchen Aid models?

I have been making all of our bread (and we supply our son and his family) for years. I make 6-8 lbs of dough at a shot, every week or so. A KA would not work, 15 years ago about one of these and have never looked back:

https://www.everythingkitchens.com/ankarsrum.html#
Yes I am talking about Kitchen Aid models. Do you prefer making bread with it vs a bread machine?
My dad made delicious bread using his kitchen aid. Much better than the bread from a bread machine.
This is good to know! We frequently make our own pizza dough in the bread machine. Since I'm home these days, it might be a good time to try using the Kitchenaid instead.

P.S. It's interesting, reading the history of the machines. If the quality has suffered, maybe I'm better off appreciating my old white one, versus coveting the prettier, shiny new models. I would like the bowl-lift option, though. And maybe a glass bowl. Sigh!
I am keeping my white 30 yr old kitchen aid. It is lighter weight than the one my dad had but works well. I don’t want anything heavier.
I make bread, pizza dough with my Kitchenaide mixer. And it's so way better than my old bread machine. Not even close.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.

Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:35 pm

I'll bump a question I threw out a few posts ago. Has anyone purchased a stand mixer attachment they thought was worth it?

sport

Post by sport » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:04 pm

Alf 101 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:35 pm
I'll bump a question I threw out a few posts ago. Has anyone purchased a stand mixer attachment they thought was worth it?
We use the grinder attachment. We also have the shredder/slicer attachment, but we stopped using it when we got a food processor.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:54 am

Alf 101 wrote:
I would imagine that depends largely on what you want to make. We had a sausage grinder and a pasta extruder. Dh bought the mixer and attachments but doesn't cook all that much. The grinder worked fine. It was just nothing I wanted to do on a regular basis. I tried the pasta extruder several times without much luck. It was very tricky to get the pasta to not stick together as it came out of the die. I imagine it could be mastered if you wanted to do it. I got rid of both.

DarthSage

Post by DarthSage » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:09 am

Alf 101 wrote:
I absolutely, positively HAD to have the spiralizer. DH got it for me for Christmas. I've never used it. (hangs head in shame)

I probably wouldn't use the pasta attachment, since I have a hand-crank pasta machine. I don't make homemade pasta often enough to merit getting the attachment. The rre times that I grind meat, I do it in my food processor, so the grinder wouldn't be a good spend for me.

I don't know what drugs I was taking when I saw that spiralizer...

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:43 am

In case anyone is interested, Best Buy has the 5qt Kitchenaid Pro lift mixer for $200 in black. It is $300 off. The model is KV25G0XOB. Other colors are different prices.

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:35 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:40 am
WolfgangPauli wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:55 am
FULL DISCLOSURE: I Worked at the plant where the KAID StandMixer is Made (In USA, Ohio)

I assume you are talking about a Kitchenaid SM as it really is the only kind. I happen to have 4 of them as I use them as "Jewelry for my kitchen" but practically they are the best "tool" you can have in a kitchen and I don't think any professional cook could survive without one. Bakers have to have them. Here are a few fun facts:

1. Patented in 1919 and they were sold door to door.
2. When sold back then they cost almost as much as a car
3. The name comes from the quote of a salesperson's wife, "This is the best Kitchen aid I have ever had"
4. There are many many attachments - I have made bread, ice cream, Pasta as well as the normal cakes etc with it.
5. The attachments from the original design still work in the modern one.

OK, now, which to buy. Really depends on the budget but first and foremost I would buy a "Bowl lift" v. a "Tilt head". Just easier to use and more powerful. I would have the pasta roller attachment and the mill attachment. I actually have a friend of mine whose dad has a farm in Kansas. When he would go home he would bring me back wheat and I would grind my own flour using the standmixer.

It is iconic.. Can't imagine a kitchen not having one.
When did you work there? In 2008 the "14 cup flour rating" was a joke on mine. It could barely do half that before it got really hot and started emitting a smell. Ive heard the new Pro model is better but the one i bought was only good for mixing cake batter or single loaves of bread.
One thing we have to be careful of is a "standmixer" is not a "standmixer" and we are all using these terms relatively interchangeable. There are many models and the power and capabilities are different. For example, a basic model is designed for simple use, small family etc. etc. If you are doing a lot then you really do need the "pro" category. I agree, pricing changes dramatically. But, for example, if you are going to do a lot of heavy dough kneeding, using the mill attachment etc. you either need the much larger model or you need to let it cool periodically. I have everything from the basic stand mixer to a "Pro" version (exclusive to Williams Sonoma) that costs $1,000 but it also could likely be used in a restaurant. (Although they never recommend commercial use). So, what is the model you have and let me know.

The purpose of this is that there are different people, with different needs and different price point capability.
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com