Best Items to Buy at Macys

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

Best Items to Buy at Macys

Post by DTalos » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:30 am

What are the best value items to purchase at Macys? What is sold there that is competitively priced vs other stores?

22twain

Re: Best Items to Buy at Macys

Post by 22twain » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:41 am

Where? Are you asking about the flagship store on Sixth Ave in NYC, or in some podunk shopping mall in the boonies like Columbus OH or Greenville SC?
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:44 am

22twain wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:41 am
Where? Are you asking about the flagship store on Sixth Ave in NYC, or in some podunk shopping mall in the boonies like Columbus OH or Greenville SC?

Online Macys.com

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:01 am

What you need. And nothing more.
Macys has very competitive pricing if you have their CC. They send stackable coupons etc.

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:16 am

Starfish wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:01 am
Macys has very competitive pricing if you have their CC. They send stackable coupons etc.
I redeemed airline points for a $500 in Macys gift cards since I figured that was the best option other than Staples. At Staples I could always buy $500 in forever stamps if they sell stamps, but I figured I could wait for sales at Macys on clothes. I then find out that Macys only had Five months of cash on hand which makes me think they will go out of business soon. Hence I am thinking about items that are a good value and might last a while like cologne or a stand mixer.

boogiehead

Post by boogiehead » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:57 am

Starfish wrote:
With the caveat that 50% of the items are excluded... and if the coupon works they'll jack up the price first, once in a blue moon you'll find a deal other than that I've been avoiding Macy's

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:44 am

boogiehead wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:57 am
Starfish wrote:
With the caveat that 50% of the items are excluded... and if the coupon works they'll jack up the price first, once in a blue moon you'll find a deal other than that I've been avoiding Macy's
What have you found deals on?

BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:20 pm

Starfish wrote:
+1
My wife has become a master at stacking their coupons. Most of the time she'll return with items (clothing) at ~30-40% of the list price. 60-70% discounts are hard to beat !

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:06 pm

Do large chains usually announce months before hand they are going bankrupt or are bankrupt, or do they announce it all of a sudden and then stop selling merchandise, effectively making your gift cards worthless?

socaldude

Post by socaldude » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:59 pm

When it's on sale, calvin klein mens underwear, BUT, good luck finding your size. Most Macy's stores are a disorganized mess with untrained "clerks" who don't seem to care much.They make Kohl's look organized. It shows us what the Macy's corporate culture is all about. They are very poorly run IMHO, and the end must be near. Sad to see. I know blame the internet etc.(p.s. Good point about gift cards, you could be out of luck.)

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:17 am

socaldude wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:59 pm
When it's on sale, calvin klein mens underwear, BUT, good luck finding your size. Most Macy's stores are a disorganized mess with untrained "clerks" who don't seem to care much.They make Kohl's look organized. It shows us what the Macy's corporate culture is all about. They are very poorly run IMHO, and the end must be near. Sad to see. I know blame the internet etc.(p.s. Good point about gift cards, you could be out of luck.)

Their online business is still up and running, so hopefully when my gift cards come this week, they will still be in business.

I've noticed that some items on their website ship directly from the vendor. Perhaps those are safer buys from the perspective they will most likely ship, in case the company goes bankrupt in the next two weeks.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:23 am

Why would you even bother to consider Macy’s? From your original post it doesn’t seem like you are familiar at all with Macy’s. How did it pop up on your radar?
I guess it is about manufactured spending.now because you are caught in this gift card thing.

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:51 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:23 am
Why would you even bother to consider Macy’s? From your original post it doesn’t seem like you are familiar at all with Macy’s. How did it pop up on your radar?
I guess it is about manufactured spending.now because you are caught in this gift card thing.

Redeemed airline points for gift cards and Macy's was the best option.

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:21 pm

Just noticed item shipped from vendor shipped two days after order. Other items from warehouse haven't shipped yet. Hopefully they will soon. Hope Macy's has enough fulfillment centers and inventory to keep up with high online demand during this pandemic.

BL

Post by BL » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:46 am

I had figured out sizes and styles I liked and bought at a Macy's store, so used that knowledge to order similar things online. It has been a couple years now since I did it. Their semi-local store quit so don't have a convenient return place anymore.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:03 am

You might also investigate how much you can get from selling the card online. Sounds like you made a mistake on this one.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212

megabad

Post by megabad » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:18 am

I might get flak for lack of fashion sense but I actually think their Alfani house brand is a pretty good value especially when on sale. I think I have a bunch of cheap Alfani shirts, ties, jackets, suits. I mean they are synthetic but they look pretty decent and seem to hold up a while. When I am with people who wouldn’t know the difference, I have no problem wearing. I have also bought some furniture from them. They were faster and easier to deal with than some other furniture stores but not sure on the value.