DOT: Airlines must offer refunds for cancelled flights (not just credits)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

DOT: Airlines must offer refunds for cancelled flights (not just credits)

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:48 pm

[Title was "Any Airlines Issuing Actual Refunds".

Please see the update on Page 2 here --admin LadyGeek]

I had two round trips booked on four different airlines...one in early April and one in early May. I bought the cheapest non-refundable tickets possible on Southwest, Allegiant, Delta and American. I cancelled all 4 flights and now have refunds. Truthfully the total dollar amount is small in the big scheme of my portfolio losses...it's sort of like fiddling while Rome burns. But I'm wondering if it's possible to get my money back because it's unlikely I'll use the credits. I searched the web for info but it's all old and basically says I'm outta luck. Maybe someone here knows more. Alternatively, can I contest these charges with the credit card company...perhaps the airlines will let it go (meaning not respond to my contesting)?

student

Re: Any Airlines Issuing Actual Refunds

Post by student » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:54 pm

Unless they are the one cancelling, it is unlikely that you will get actual money back. https://thepointsguy.com/guide/refund-or-change-flight/

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:09 pm

That maybe so, but I had a non-refundable trip on American for 4/1. I used miles so this may not be a good data point.

When I called about 3 weeks ago to cancel, they returned all my miles to my account and issued a cc refund for the tax portion of the tickets. It was quick and painless. but at the time could only be done via phone, not online.

Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:20 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:09 pm
That maybe so, but I had a non-refundable trip on American for 4/1. I used miles so this may not be a good data point.

When I called about 3 weeks ago to cancel, they returned all my miles to my account and issued a cc refund for the tax portion of the tickets. It was quick and painless. but at the time could only be done via phone, not online.
I had miles credited for a hotel room. Unfortunately my airline charges were paid with real money.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:24 pm

JAL is refunding --- Special handling for JAL international tickets following the situation of pneumonia caused by the new coronavirus. (Last Updated Mar 18, 2020)
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/inter/200127_02/
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:36 pm

I guess I blew it. Should have NOT cancelled and wait until the airlines cancels. That being said, I wonder if I contest the credit card charges, might they let it go? Maybe they don't have the manpower to fight it. Is that unethical for me to do? Unethical for the airlines to get to keep the money based on a technicality during a national emergency?

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:20 pm

I had my return flight for mid April cancelled by United back in January before the Corona. I booked through Chase ultimate rewards but didn't use points. I went to the United website to request a refund. I am doubtful of getting money any time soon even though this would typically a situation where a full refund is warranted. Amy advice?

FrugalTravelGal

Post by FrugalTravelGal » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:21 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:48 pm
I had two round trips booked on four different airlines...one in early April and one in early May. I bought the cheapest non-refundable tickets possible on Southwest, Allegiant, Delta and American. I cancelled all 4 flights and now have refunds. Truthfully the total dollar amount is small in the big scheme of my portfolio losses...it's sort of like fiddling while Rome burns. But I'm wondering if it's possible to get my money back because it's unlikely I'll use the credits. I searched the web for info but it's all old and basically says I'm outta luck. Maybe someone here knows more. Alternatively, can I contest these charges with the credit card company...perhaps the airlines will let it go (meaning not respond to my contesting)?
Yes, you have fewer options now, because you already cancelled your flights. Had you asked for advice before cancelling, I would've suggested you wait until just before the flights are scheduled to depart - in case the flights get cancelled or have a significant schedule change. Either would've been sufficient reason for an airline to approve a request for a refund.

Read the Travel Alerts on the relevant airlines' web sites as well as their Conditions of Carriage - to see under what circumstances you would qualify to get a refund of your airfare. I can tell you that American will refund a nonrefundable ticket if they cancel the original flight or make a schedule change of 61 minutes or more. They did both to our Chicago to Tampa flight in late April, and AA approved my refund request.

The good news is that most airlines are waiving change fees for cancellations of upcoming flights. You can probably use the airline credits towards future flights, as long as the new trip begins no later than 12 months after your original ticket was issued, or Dec. 31st - whichever is earlier. Southwest is extending the travel-by date to June 30, 2021 in some situations.

FrugalTravelGal

Post by FrugalTravelGal » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:30 pm

BashDash wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:20 pm
I had my return flight for mid April cancelled by United back in January before the Corona. I booked through Chase ultimate rewards but didn't use points. I went to the United website to request a refund. I am doubtful of getting money any time soon even though this would typically a situation where a full refund is warranted. Amy advice?
Our American flight on April 30 was cancelled and rebooked in January to a flight 3 hours earlier. When I requested a refund online a few days ago, I quoted AA's Conditions of Carriage in the remarks box, and my request for a refund was approved the same day. Good luck with United!

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:46 pm

United is the most difficult of the US airlines for obtaining refunds rather than credits.

Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:48 pm

I'm still wondering about challenging the credit card charges. Thoughts?

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:51 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:36 pm
I guess I blew it. Should have NOT cancelled and wait until the airlines cancels.
Yes. If the airline cancels the flight, you're eligible for a refund, even on a nonrefundable ticket.

I don't know about other airlines, but Delta is waiting until about a week before departure to officially cancel their flights even after announcing blanket cancellations to certain areas.

My example: I had a flight to Buenos Aires scheduled for March 28. On March 13, Delta announced suspension of all flights to Argentina, but the flight was not actually cancelled in their system until March 22. Anyone who called between 3-13 and 3-21 would have gotten a travel voucher instead of a refund.
Leesbro63 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:48 pm
I'd be very surprised if this works since you proactively did the cancelling.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:57 pm

Guess the $1200 government refund is to offset situations like this?

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:06 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:46 pm
United is the most difficult of the US airlines for obtaining refunds rather than credits.
I don't know and I don't dispute, but United recently did me a solid by refunding a trip to Japan when they didn't have to. Delta also gave me a refund they didn't have to.

Try making them laugh and ask. We, peons, are in a position to demand nothing. :wink:

student

Post by student » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:17 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
I will leave the ethics out of this. The action may not be a free try. I do not believe your challenge meets the guideline as I understand it. If the airline proves proof that you cancelled this yourself, the credit card company will likely rule against you, and may even note that on your account, which may negatively affect your future challenges.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:40 pm

After British Airways cancelled their 4/15 flights from US to Heathrow to Pisa we got a full round trip refund.

Before they cancelled, however, we got frequent offers of them waiving transfer fees to other flights within 12 months of original ticket payment, but only in exchange for vouchers. This deal could be had online without calling in to not suffer waits of up to two hours before connecting to an agent. After cancelling, the online voucher offer was still available, but for a refund one had to listen to a lot of musak. The credit has shown up in our credit card account.

We knew to hold out for cancellations of both of our departing flights.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)

Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:46 pm

student wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:17 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
I will leave the ethics out of this. The action may not be a free try. I do not believe your challenge meets the guideline as I understand it. If the airline proves proof that you cancelled this yourself, the credit card company will likely rule against you, and may even note that on your account, which may negatively affect your future challenges.
I guess my thinking is that because of the workload, airlines might just let the occasional challenge go. Maybe they figure there will be a few percent who challenge and it's not worth it to respond, considering the workload they are under.

student

Post by student » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:58 pm

Cyclesafe wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:40 pm
After British Airways cancelled their 4/15 flights from US to Heathrow to Pisa we got a full round trip refund.

Before they cancelled, however, we got frequent offers of them waiving transfer fees to other flights within 12 months of original ticket payment, but only in exchange for vouchers. This deal could be had online without calling in to not suffer waits of up to two hours before connecting to an agent. After cancelling, the online voucher offer was still available, but for a refund one had to listen to a lot of musak. The credit has shown up in our credit card account.

I hope our government does not cave in and does what the Canadian government did. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-sco ... -1.5510167

GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:06 pm

I cancelled an international roundtrip on Southwest paid for by points. They restored the points but only issued a travel voucher for the taxes. That doesn't seem right to me since they shouldn't have had to pay the taxes so why should they be able to keep them if I don't use the voucher before it expires? Any thoughts?

FrugalTravelGal

Post by FrugalTravelGal » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:54 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
I guess I blew it. Should have NOT cancelled and wait until the airlines cancels. That being said, I wonder if I contest the credit card charges, might they let it go? Maybe they don't have the manpower to fight it. Is that unethical for me to do? Unethical for the airlines to get to keep the money based on a technicality during a national emergency?

First, did you check each flight to see if there were any significant schedule changes? If there were none, then you don't qualify for a refund according to the airlines' Contracts of Carriage. The airlines are not acting unethically by keeping your money, since they have given you the value of your flights in travel credits. Be thankful that the airlines have waived their usual ~$200 per domestic ticket change fees during this "national emergency" - otherwise you might have very little credit left. (The exception is Southwest, which has no change fees.) I'd try to use the credits for another trip later in the year. Since Southwest's credit can be used until June 30, 2021, use it last. https://www.southwest.com/Coronavirus/? ... NAVIRUS_TA

rich126

Post by rich126 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:13 pm

student wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:54 pm
Unless they are the one cancelling, it is unlikely that you will get actual money back. https://thepointsguy.com/guide/refund-or-change-flight/
Unfortunately most airlines are now refusing to give refunds even if they are canceling the flight. The law says they have to but now most are not. AA was one of the few giving refunds but I'm not sure they are doing so.

They are using a variety of gimmicks to avoid refunds. Lufthansa is allowing you to ask for a refund but then they say their system is not processing refunds at this time. Others are hiding the option on their websites and many others are claiming that the current situation excuses them from providing refunds.

You can see a number of stories on numerous web sites including ones such as The Cranky Flier by Brett Snyder.

Thankfully I don't have anything booked. Wanted to visit family but once I heard about the virus I held off booking. At that time I wasn't too concerned about the virus but since my father is 80+ I didn't want to take any chance of being a carrier.

Airlines getting bailout money, laying off people, not refunding people in violation of the law, etc. When things fall apart and their are cash crunches you see how hard it is to get money back. Credit card disputes sometimes work but there was a story where American Express allegedly refused a charge back because the airline was one of their partners (a Canadian airline). Not sure how true that was.

I'd avoid any speculative bookings until things calm down. Even with things start back, flights won't go back to 100% of what they were for quite some time.

Darth Poppy

Post by Darth Poppy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:00 pm

We had a trip planned to Tokyo or mid March, with flights through United. When things started shutting down in Japan, I called and they initially told me only a credit to be used before June. There was no way we could plan another trip before June using over $5000 worth of credits. I kindly ask to speak to a supervisor, explained the situation to her and they gave us a full 100% refund. Was sorta shocked, but very thankful. They ultimately ended up cancelling the flight we would have been on, but they refunded us several weeks before that occurred.

Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:47 am

I’ll give you my n=1 with Delta and Alaskan.

Back in January we booked a flight to Hawaii for the end of March. About a month later I purchased upgraded seats (in cash) for the leg from Seattle to Kona, and in miles from our city to Seattle.

Two days before we were supposed to leave, they cancelled our flight and rebooked us on a flight with 2 connections. Not ideal. Then within 12 hours of that notification, and a day before we were supposed to leave, they cancelled that flight and rebooked us on a flight leaving the day after our originally purchased date of departure, with our original single connection (but again, a day later).

That same day (the day we received the notice that our flight was being pushed back a day), we called to cancel because it was leaving a whole day later, cutting 20% of the time off our vacation, and the excrement was hitting the fan.

We were only offered an ecredit for our flight and they refused to refund the upgrades (miles or money), despite them changing the flight to a day later. Our return flight was with Alaska Airlines and they gave us an ecredit for cancelling (even though the itinerary had stayed the same since we booked), and completely refunded the upgraded seats we had purchased later. That seemed fair.

This seems wrong to me.

student

Post by student » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:55 am

Erwin007 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:47 am

Back in January we booked a flight to Hawaii for the end of March. About a month later I purchased upgraded seats (in cash) for the leg from Seattle to Kona, and in miles from our city to Seattle.

Two days before we were supposed to leave, they cancelled our flight and rebooked us on a flight with 2 connections. Not ideal. Then within 12 hours of that notification, and a day before we were supposed to leave, they cancelled that flight and rebooked us on a flight leaving the day after our originally purchased date of departure, with our original single connection (but again, a day later).

That same day (the day we received the notice that our flight was being pushed back a day), we called to cancel because it was leaving a whole day later, cutting 20% of the time off our vacation, and the excrement was hitting the fan.

We were only offered an ecredit for our flight and they refused to refund the upgrades (miles or money), despite them changing the flight to a day later. Our return flight was with Alaska Airlines and they gave us an ecredit for cancelling (even though the itinerary had stayed the same since we booked), and completely refunded the upgraded seats we had purchased later. That seemed fair.

This seems wrong to me.
Did you mention to Delta that they are violating DoT rule? https://www.transportation.gov/individu ... cellations "If your flight is cancelled and you choose to cancel your trip as a result, you are entitled to a refund for the unused transportation – even for non-refundable tickets. You are also entitled to a refund for any bag fee that you paid, and any extras you may have purchased, such as a seat assignment."

Starfox

Post by Starfox » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:21 am

Airlines owe you a refund when they cancel a flight. So why is United balking during coronavirus crisis?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/a ... 898509001/
The bottom line for travelers: United is not offering immediate refunds for canceled international flights and has added a big hurdle for canceled flights within the U.S. The changes came as United and other airlines have slashed flights in unprecedented numbers as travel demand has plunged due to government and business travel restrictions and traveler anxiety.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/tr ... tices.html

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:13 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
There are no valid dispute that can be filed especially if passenger cancels before airline cancels the flight.

DL and AA are refunding on cancelled flights/schedule changes.

Some EU airlines are outright violating EC261/2004 refund requirements.

Canadian authorities are generally allowing for voucher in lieu of refunds if voucher is valid for at least 24 months.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:15 pm

Erwin007 wrote:

This seems wrong to me.
Which airline issued the ticket or are there multiple tickets involved? DL have been refunding cancellations and schedule changes >90 minutes.

Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:18 pm

seawolf21 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:15 pm
Erwin007 wrote:

This seems wrong to me.
Which airline issued the ticket or are there multiple tickets involved? DL have been refunding cancellations and schedule changes >90 minutes.
It was Delta. There were a total of 5 people traveling, but all of our flights to Hawaii were on Delta and through the same cities. I purchased the tickets at the same time.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:51 am

Very frustrated. Put in for a refund from United on their website for a flight they cancelled pre-corona.

Chase just emailed that I am receiving a credit not a refund. Any advice?

Update: I checked United website for status of refund and it is still pending. I hope I didn't mess something up by also cancelling on chase travel site. Much before the crazy customer service waits I did speak with someone saying that a refund is warranted. Nothing in writing though.

manuvns

Post by manuvns » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:46 am

Goolge has added COVID information to travel related search results.
https://www.blog.google/products/flight ... -policies/

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:58 am

Erwin007 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:18 pm
seawolf21 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:15 pm
Erwin007 wrote:

This seems wrong to me.
It was Delta. There were a total of 5 people traveling, but all of our flights to Hawaii were on Delta and through the same cities. I purchased the tickets at the same time.
I would reach out to DL again. Reports on Flyertalk indicate Delta have been refunding due to (airline-initiated) cancellations/schedule changes > 90 minutes.
BashDash wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:51 am
Very frustrated. Put in for a refund from United on their website for a flight they cancelled pre-corona.

Chase just emailed that I am receiving a credit not a refund. Any advice?

Update: I checked United website for status of refund and it is still pending. I hope I didn't mess something up by also cancelling on chase travel site. Much before the crazy customer service waits I did speak with someone saying that a refund is warranted. Nothing in writing though.
What is exactly verbiage from Chase? When Chase refers to a "credit" in a dispute, it is in reference to a a temporary "credit" (aka refund) to your credit card account; not an airline travel credit. The temporary credit will either be reversed or made permanent depending on the outcome of the chargeback.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:10 pm

Seawolf here is the exact email....

"We have issued an airline credit for your flight
You are receiving this email as either your airline has cancelled your flight, or it was noted that you did not take your trip as scheduled because of the current situation related to COVID-19. No need to call us, we've got you covered. Your safety and peace of mind are of utmost importance to us, and we want to let you know we have issued an airline credit for your flight.

All the details of your airline credit, such as traveler name, amount, and expiration date, will be emailed to you in a confirmation email that you will receive soon."

I think you are right and I might still be okay for a refund. Do you still think that after seeing exact email.?

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:20 pm

BashDash wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:10 pm
Seawolf here is the exact email....

"We have issued an airline credit for your flight
You are receiving this email as either your airline has cancelled your flight, or it was noted that you did not take your trip as scheduled because of the current situation related to COVID-19. No need to call us, we've got you covered. Your safety and peace of mind are of utmost importance to us, and we want to let you know we have issued an airline credit for your flight.

All the details of your airline credit, such as traveler name, amount, and expiration date, will be emailed to you in a confirmation email that you will receive soon."

I think you are right and I might still be okay for a refund. Do you still think that after seeing exact email.?
Was this in response to a dispute or was this ticket purchased they Chase ultimate rewards travel because as a dispute the response would make zero sense.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:36 pm

Southwest we got $200 back on a nominal $300 ticket for my 90yr oid mother.
The other tickets we took credit for a future flight to FL, god willing.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:50 pm

Seawolf,. I purchased with Chase through ultimate rewards site....since there phone system is overwhelmed they have a link to put in your info for cancellation and they get back to you.

United is separately looking into it so maybe that should be my main concern. I probably should have waited for that to be resolved before even contacting chase.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:07 pm

BashDash wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:50 pm
Seawolf,. I purchased with Chase through ultimate rewards site....since there phone system is overwhelmed they have a link to put in your info for cancellation and they get back to you.

United is separately looking into it so maybe that should be my main concern. I probably should have waited for that to be resolved before even contacting chase.
Ok so you didn’t file a chargeback. Where were you flying from and to on UA and is the flight cancelled by UA?

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:28 pm

Newark to key West. Flight home cancelled way back in January. ( They didn't contact me either).

Thanks for the help!

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:46 pm

BashDash wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:28 pm
Newark to key West. Flight home cancelled way back in January. ( They didn't contact me either).

Thanks for the help!
What do you mean cancelled way back in January?
So this is nothing to do with COVID19.

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:43 pm

Exactly....for some unknown reason they cancelled our return flight back in January.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:36 pm

BashDash wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:43 pm
Exactly....for some unknown reason they cancelled our return flight back in January.
So has any part of the ticket been used and yes, AA is issuing refunds. You have to talk to Chase first. If no success at getting a refund, talk to AA.

Exterous

Post by Exterous » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:03 pm

I've had to do a rash of refunds and have been successful for all of my currently impacted flights (British Airways, United, Delta and Southwest). United, Southwest and BA were straight refunds since the flights were all cancelled. I had a mix with Delta. I got two refunds for cancelled flights and a travel voucher valid for 18months for a flight that is in a couple of days and is not cancelled. Since this was technically a 'non-refundable' ticket, the flight is likely to fly as scheduled and I can make use of the travel voucher I consider that a reasonable resolution for my situation.
GeraniumLover wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:06 pm
I cancelled an international roundtrip on Southwest paid for by points. They restored the points but only issued a travel voucher for the taxes. That doesn't seem right to me since they shouldn't have had to pay the taxes so why should they be able to keep them if I don't use the voucher before it expires? Any thoughts?
For future reference you can cancel your Southwest flights online and, if you do so, you can choose a refund instead of a credit. There is a check box that you have change from "Future travel credit" to "Refund" (Or some such. All my SW flights are now cancelled or I would check) on the cancellation page before hitting the big 'submit\ok' button.
Cyclesafe wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:40 pm

Once a BA flight is cancelled you may be able to get the refund you are entitled to on their website without having to call in. Unfortunately BA is routing people to the voucher only request page instead of their usual page where you can select voucher or refund. I was able to get around this by disabling javascript to get to the refund page and then re-enabling it to process the refund. Unfortunately this trick no seems to only intermittently work anymore but people may be able to find additionally useful (and updated) information at the link below. I submitted for my refund on the 23rd and by the 26th it had posted to my credit card.

HT to Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british ... n-etc.html

FRT15

Post by FRT15 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:43 pm

Does Delta have a page showing all of their cancelled flights due to covid or do you get emails when they cancel? I have an international flight in May that I can proactively change or take a credit on. I'm trying to decide if it makes sense to wait for them to cancel it but I don't know what that timeframe looks like. Anyone know?

Exterous

Post by Exterous » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:42 pm

FRT15 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:43 pm
Does Delta have a page showing all of their cancelled flights due to covid or do you get emails when they cancel? I have an international flight in May that I can proactively change or take a credit on. I'm trying to decide if it makes sense to wait for them to cancel it but I don't know what that timeframe looks like. Anyone know?
They would send an email but it doesn't hurt to check in case the email was missed or Delta had an IT probelm

https://www.delta.com/mytrips/

djheini

Post by djheini » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:25 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
I believe I have heard about people who do chargebacks on flights getting their frequent flier accounts suspended and/or getting blacklisted from future bookings on that airline. So it probably depends on how much you have/plan to fly on that airline, but something to keep in mind.

djheini

Post by djheini » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:28 pm

Exterous wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:42 pm
FRT15 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:43 pm
They would send an email but it doesn't hurt to check in case the email was missed or Delta had an IT probelm

https://www.delta.com/mytrips/
I have a flight to London scheduled for the end of April/returning early May, and the online systems for both Delta and Virgin Atlantic (codeshare operator for the return flight) claiming all the flights are still scheduled and on time, but they have stopped selling tickets for my return flight. So I think they aren't updating the existing flight status systems as proactively as their internal plans might suggest.

FRT15

Post by FRT15 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:33 am

Thanks for the input. I will keep an eye on mytrips in Delta.I had booked my trip with miles and it would be great to have a straight refund only from the standpoint that there is no time clock on using the points whereas if I proactively cancel it looks like I would have to reuse those points by the end of this year, which will be tougher to do.

Overall I am more concerned with getting money back from Belavia for a few flights I have booked with them. There refund process looks pretty complicated to not friendly to credit cards.

markcoop

Post by markcoop » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:18 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
I guess I blew it. Should have NOT cancelled and wait until the airlines cancels.
Delta told me that if I canceled my flight and received a credit and the airline subsequently cancels the flight, they will refund the money if I then call. So, you may not have blown it assuming the flight was actually cancelled by the airline.
Mark

Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:19 am

markcoop wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:18 am
Leesbro63 wrote:
Delta told me that if I canceled my flight and received a credit and the airline subsequently cancels the flight, they will refund the money if I then call. So, you may not have blown it assuming the flight was actually cancelled by the airline.
Good info. Thx

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:52 am

We were told that you deal with a third party such as Expedia if you purchased hotel and tickets there. Calling Expedia, we cancelled the hotels easily but were told to check the CC statement to see if the airline charge was to Expedia or the airline. Being the latter, the airline was to be contacted (American). Tickets are Economy and rebooking the only option offered on-line. Wait times for calls are up to six hours. Rebooking currently by Jan. 21, 2021.

Tim

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:12 am

Nowizard wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:52 am
We were told that you deal with a third party such as Expedia if you purchased hotel and tickets there. Calling Expedia, we cancelled the hotels easily but were told to check the CC statement to see if the airline charge was to Expedia or the airline. Being the latter, the airline was to be contacted (American). Tickets are Economy and rebooking the only option offered on-line. Wait times for calls are up to six hours. Rebooking currently by Jan. 21, 2021.

Tim
Is the flight cancelled by American? If so you can just submit a refund with AA website. No need to call.