Lawnmower recommendation (Gas + SP)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cobra Commander

Lawnmower recommendation (Gas + SP)

Post by Cobra Commander »

With spring approaching I think I am going to try mowing my lawn again. I am looking for recommendations for a gas powered, self-propelled lawnmower with a mulching feature. I have approximately 1/3 of an acre with a modest slope (enough for a walk out basement). I assume I can get one in the $300 - $400 range. I would prefer one that is relatively simple (in particular no oil changes necessary, if possible), one that will last a few years and that I can mostly just start up and go. Also, does it matter where I get it (Home Depot / Lowes vs. lawn equipment store)? I bought my Stihl leafblower at a lawn equipment store because Home Depot and Lowes didn't seem to carry the big blowers so I am not sure if this is the same where a lawn equipment store might have better stuff.
Triple digit golfer

Re: Lawnmower recommendation (Gas + SP)

Post by Triple digit golfer »

I bought a Toro Super Recycler last June. I believe model #21381. It was $499.99 on a sale at a local Toro dealer. They don't sell them at Home Depot.

I know it doesn't fit all your parameters, but it is far and away the best push mower I've ever had. My old Husqvarna with a FAR more powerful Honda engine bogged down and struggled to mulch and left clumps on a lawn that had just been mowed 4 days prior.

The Super Recycler's deck and blade engineering is what makes it such a great mulcher. It never leaves clumps even if I let the grass get a little higher than I'd like.

Plus, the "Personal Pace' self propel feature is the best I've ever used. You literally just grab the handle and walk. It moves with you. A 10 year old kid could use it with minimal effort. At the very least, check it out online and see what you think.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Home Depot and Lowes both carry a wide selection of self-propelled push mowers in the $300-$400 price range. Most consumer grade mowers are made by just a couple of manufacturers, MTD, Husqvarna and Toro. I've had good and bad experiences with all. You can have the best service out of whatever mower you purchase and reduce the likelihood of problems if you use only ethanol-free fuel and change the oil, filter and spark plug as recommended (I'd suggest every 20 hours of use unless the manufacturer recommends a shorter interval).

I prefer the rear-wheel drive on the self-propelled. I think any mower you find at a big box store is going to have mulching capability. Toro has a personal pace rear-drive self-propelled with a three year guaranteed start engine warranty and two year full warranty that mulches, bags and has side-discharge for about $370. Toro commercial mowers are very highly regarded, you may want to read some reviews on their consumer mowers.

Self-propelled mowers you find at a lawn equipment dealer are going to likely run $600 and up.
dunkmachine

Post by dunkmachine »

Yeah, I think I'd second the Toro . Specifically, the Recycler 22" variable speed self propelled. I've had one for 10 years and apart of changing the oil, installing new blades, and a rewind starter spring, it's held up really well. Nearly starts up first pull 100% of time. You won't be able to get away from oil changes, at least occasionally. My guess is that you won't do them at the suggested intervals so I would definitely not get a Honda engine and stick with the Briggs & Stratton.
daheld

Post by daheld »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:14 am I bought a Toro Super Recycler last June. I believe model #21381. It was $499.99 on a sale at a local Toro dealer. They don't sell them at Home Depot.

I know it doesn't fit all your parameters, but it is far and away the best push mower I've ever had. My old Husqvarna with a FAR more powerful Honda engine bogged down and struggled to mulch and left clumps on a lawn that had just been mowed 4 days prior.

The Super Recycler's deck and blade engineering is what makes it such a great mulcher. It never leaves clumps even if I let the grass get a little higher than I'd like.

Plus, the "Personal Pace' self propel feature is the best I've ever used. You literally just grab the handle and walk. It moves with you. A 10 year old kid could use it with minimal effort. At the very least, check it out online and see what you think.
We have what is essentially the same mower from Home Depot. I completely agree with the above. We've had ours for about 6 years or so and it has started on the first pull every time except maybe once or twice. Plenty of power. I kind of abuse it and it just keeps running like a champ.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

There is a reason Honda lawnmowers are a little more expensive than most of the others, and it's not due to better marketing. Do yourself a favor and get a Honda mower.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

The Toro Recycler from the big box stores is different than the Super Recycler.

The Super Recycler has rubber wheels vs. the plastic ones on the Recycler.
The blade and deck design are different, making the Super Recycler a much better mulching mower.

For an average Joe mowing his lawn, though, any Honda or Toro mower is going to serve you well. They both make excellent machines.

I personally loathe bagging my grass and I loathe clumps on my lawn, so I wanted the best mulching mower I could get for the money. That was the Super Recycler.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

No oil changes on a gas mower will ensure you get a new mower every 5 years or so. :annoyed

Change the oil and clean out the air filter and a gas lawnmower will run forever unless you hit something metal with the blade.

I would check out the Snapper 82v electric at Amazon. Buy an extra battery.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
PVW

Post by PVW »

Another vote for Toro. I bought a Model 20340 in spring 2016 for about $400 at Home Depot. I chose this model for the large rear wheels for my hilly and potholed yard, Briggs and Stratton engine for the reputation, and the folding handle which I don't actually use much. Mulching was also important, but most mowers have this feature. The personal pace self propelled feature works better than I had anticipated - it's basically a speed control throttle controlled by how much you depress the hand bar.

I have a 1/3 acre hilly lot that I mow weekly in the summer. In the spring, the grass can get too tall after 1 week and mulching will bog down the engine, especially if the grass is a little wet. Then I'll use the side discharge. The rear bagger also works well. I think they guarantee 1 pull start. That isn't always true, but I've never had difficulty starting it. I've never changed the oil and I'm not sure what the recommended schedule is for that.

The Toro is also much lighter than the 15 year old self propelled Honda that it replaced.
Designairohio

Post by Designairohio »

The Toro 60 volt mower is very nice, no gas or oil changes and can be stored standing on end.
Both myself and my neighbor have this mower and are happy
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Lawn boy with a Honda engine.

Zero oil changes.

2003-present.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, or Craftsman

Excellent warranties too
Last edited by Ramjet on Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
PVW

Post by PVW »

bloom2708 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:01 am No oil changes on a gas mower will ensure you get a new mower every 5 years or so. :annoyed

Change the oil and clean out the air filter and a gas lawnmower will run forever unless you hit something metal with the blade.

I agree that's good advice, but I haven't been good about following it. My last mower was a Honda that I bought used. I owed it for about 10 years and never changed the oil or air filter. One time, I think I ran it out of oil - it died while mowing and had plenty of gas, the pull start was tight and wouldn't restart until I added oil. The only maintenance that I did was bang out the air filter about once a year and sharpen the blade once every one or two years.

It still ran fine when I donated it to the family cabin.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I have almost a 1/2 acre of lawn, the Toro recycler with Honda engine was a good buy; I did not want a riding mower. I know I paid less than $400 from a supply store that caters to the industry (golf courses and HOA's) rather than homeowners. Be sure the self pull function/belt is properly adjusted otherwise like mine, it can come off...I let my neighbor do it instead of letting them.

The only downside is if you are tall like me, it only has two handle heights and I would like it a bit higher, but the way it is designed, I can't put an extension on it.

The large wheels in back turned out to be very helpful in going over bumps, chipmunk holes and getting it in and out of the shed.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I've had Toro mowers from way back. I remember my dad's 1957 Toro self propelled that when he decided to buy a new mower, I used the engine to build a mini bike. Went forever.

I now have a Honda self propelled bagger/mulcher. The difference to me is that Toros just go. Not finicky. They start and do their job. The Honda needs everything to be perfect. When mine was new, simple condensation introduced a tiny amount of water into the fuel and the mower would start but would sputter and die. Since it was new, I brought it back under warranty. They found that indeed it had simple condensation and $49 later, I had my mower back. So if you do buy a Honda, be aware and if it acts that way, empty the fuel tank and re-fill it with new gas.

I did shop around when I bought the Honda (and with chainsaws recently). I found a few things. The price was set and was exactly the same at the power equipment store, Home Depot and Lowes. When the mower went on sale, everyone put it on sale for the same price. I expect it's MAP priced by Honda and retailers are required to sell it for the set price given them.

Another thing to be careful about is that some mowers and especially tractors are private labeled and sold as a brand name but built by a low cost manufacturer. Think MTD building that brand name mower with a separate servicing store out there. With some of these, since the parts are not made by the name brand manufacturer, if you bring the mower to a servicing dealer, they won't work on it because they don't have parts for it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

PVW wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:16 am
bloom2708 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:01 am No oil changes on a gas mower will ensure you get a new mower every 5 years or so. :annoyed

I agree that's good advice, but I haven't been good about following it. My last mower was a Honda that I bought used. I owed it for about 10 years and never changed the oil or air filter. One time, I think I ran it out of oil - it died while mowing and had plenty of gas, the pull start was tight and wouldn't restart until I added oil. The only maintenance that I did was bang out the air filter about once a year and sharpen the blade once every one or two years.

It still ran fine when I donated it to the family cabin.
Completely out of oil? Wow, that is one tough mower. Honda tough I guess. I've seen many a mower with a hole in the side of the engine. Blown up.

My dad repairs lawnmowers. He is retired. It is his hobby. People give him "dead" lawnmower all summer. He changes the oil, cleans out the air filter and they almost always start. If they are left outside, then the magneto on the flywheel rusts. Then it won't run. Emory paper that off and zoom. Another constant is water in the gas tank. Suck out the old gas, refill. Zoom.

It is a disposable world. It takes 15 minutes to change oil. Or at least check the level and add new oil. If your mower uses some and you add some, then at least you are freshening the oil now and then.

I know many don't change the oil on their cars either. Just too busy with life.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Having just finished mowing my one-third acre lawn yesterday, I can comment on the Toto Super Recycler mower. Have had it for about nine years now and purchased it at a local lawnmower shop where they also service all the lawn & garden equipment they sell. You do need to service them at least annually and keep the blade sharp. It is a great mower for the ~$500 price and cheaper than the Honda equivalent. Many local dealers like this will offer discounts when purchased from them. Cheaper models have a different type of material for the mower deck. :sharebeer
Tom D.
daheld

Post by daheld »

mortfree wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:14 am Lawn boy with a Honda engine.

Zero oil changes.

2003-present.
I have this theory that people wind up doing more harm than good to small engines by doing TOO MUCH maintenance. If you keep the oil topped off that's good enough. Change the spark plug once it's corroded. Change the air filter once it's really dirty. That's it.
Laker1

Post by Laker1 »

I have a Honda that is about 20 years old...I change the oil each year in the fall when done with it and sharpen the blade. Wash it off well with my pressure washer its like brand new. Tough to beat it really. My neighbor has a new Toro and it seems really solid as well. I think a sharp blade and oil changes will serve you well.
Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd »

I’ve owned 2 Toro mowers. The first one lasted 24 years with minimal maintenance. Oil change and blade sharpening every 4 years and I had to replace the wheels because they became bald. Still own #2 at 12 years old. On the top of it is a sticker that says “guaranteed to start in two pulls” - still true.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Zero oil changes.

2003-present.
Ever added any oil?

I bet that is some dark chocolaty oil.

Always exceptions.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Bought this on March 6. Used it twice since. Happy so far. It really does propel itself, and I like being able to fold it up.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Recycl ... roduct_URL
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

PVW wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:05 am Another vote for Toro. I bought a Model 20340 in spring 2016 for about $400 at Home Depot. I chose this model for the large rear wheels for my hilly and potholed yard, Briggs and Stratton engine for the reputation, and the folding handle which I don't actually use much. Mulching was also important, but most mowers have this feature. The personal pace self propelled feature works better than I had anticipated - it's basically a speed control throttle controlled by how much you depress the hand bar.

I have a 1/3 acre hilly lot that I mow weekly in the summer. In the spring, the grass can get too tall after 1 week and mulching will bog down the engine, especially if the grass is a little wet. Then I'll use the side discharge. The rear bagger also works well. I think they guarantee 1 pull start. That isn't always true, but I've never had difficulty starting it. I've never changed the oil and I'm not sure what the recommended schedule is for that.

The Toro is also much lighter than the 15 year old self propelled Honda that it replaced.
Just realized this is the same mower I posted about just now. So +1.
Topic Author
Cobra Commander

Thanks all, appreciate the input. Seems like the Toro at HD would work for me. Curious but what's the difference between the $400 (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Recycl ... roduct_URL) one that was posted and this one on sale for $339 (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Recycl ... /205026227).

Didn't mean to come off so lazy about the oil changes. I inherited a riding mower when I bought this house and it's like having another car. Oil changes every year, emptying out the fuel, has a battery like a car and the latest thing I realized was that the tires are supposed to be inflated :oops: so now I need to replace them. I've got two little kids so right now I just want something a little easier. I do like that the toros posted have the fold up feature which would save some room in my garage or it might even fit in my shed.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

If you don't want to do maintenance, why not an electric mower? The newer Li-ion powered ones can easily handle a 1/3 acre.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

Cobra Commander wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:48 am Thanks all, appreciate the input. Seems like the Toro at HD would work for me. Curious but what's the difference between the $400 (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Recycl ... roduct_URL) one that was posted and this one on sale for $339 (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Recycl ... /205026227).

Didn't mean to come off so lazy about the oil changes. I inherited a riding mower when I bought this house and it's like having another car. Oil changes every year, emptying out the fuel, has a battery like a car and the latest thing I realized was that the tires are supposed to be inflated :oops: so now I need to replace them. I've got two little kids so right now I just want something a little easier. I do like that the toros posted have the fold up feature which would save some room in my garage or it might even fit in my shed.
Seems like you’re a good candidate for an electric mower.
Topic Author
Cobra Commander

marcwd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:57 am
Cobra Commander wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:48 am Thanks all, appreciate the input. Seems like the Toro at HD would work for me. Curious but what's the difference between the $400 (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Recycl ... roduct_URL) one that was posted and this one on sale for $339 (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Recycl ... /205026227).

I know I sound lazy but I don't want to deal with a cord. I used to have a corded weedwacker and I hated dealing with the cord and it wouldn't reach my whole yard. I'm a little skeptical about whether a battery powered lawnmower would have enough juice to make it through my yard. That said, I've been very impressed with my battery powered trimmer and weedwacker so maybe I underestimate the power of modern batteries.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I think the more expensive model adjusts itself to your walking speed (Personal Pace) while the cheaper model is a more traditional variable speed, controlled manually.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

Cobra Commander wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:07 am

I know I sound lazy but I don't want to deal with a cord. I used to have a corded weedwacker and I hated dealing with the cord and it wouldn't reach my whole yard. I'm a little skeptical about whether a battery powered lawnmower would have enough juice to make it through my yard. That said, I've been very impressed with my battery powered trimmer and weedwacker so maybe I underestimate the power of modern batteries.
No cord! Yes, battery technology and electric mowers have improved markedly. Search the forum for testimonials.
Topic Author
Cobra Commander

I took a quick look at battery powered ones such as this one (https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-20-in ... /300402757) and it says it has a 35 minute run time. I see a more expensive one with a 45 minute run time but I suspect the times advertised are under the most optimal conditions so I'm not sure that's going to work for me.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Cobra Commander wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:07 am

You don't need one with a cord. Modern battery electrics are very good. How long does it take to mow you yard? Most should be good for 40 minutes to 1hour of moderate length grass.

If ease of use and low maintenance are high on your priority, I would definitely go electric. I replaced my Honda gas with an Echo electric and would never go back.

I sold my previous electric blower and trimmer and now have Echo for all 3 units that share two batteries. Even in the worst conditions (overgrown and wet) my mower will do about 20 minutes, so I can finish with one battery change, and the batteries charge to ~80% so fast I can still trim and blow as well.

The very popular Ego models have much larger battery options than my Echo so that's another option.
Jimmypop

Post by Jimmypop »

I’ll give another recommendation for battery powered push mowers, I’ve had a cheap Kobalt brand mower I’ve utilized for 5 years, no issues, no maintenance. I mow around 1/2 acre. I couldn’t imagine a scenario we’re I would prefer a gas powered anything over battery outside of a farm.
strafe

Post by strafe »

I wish someone would come up with website (let’s hypothetically call it “The Wirecutter”) that compares products with hands on tests and gives a recommendation for the best option for most people.
Topic Author
Cobra Commander

strafe wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:52 am I wish someone would come up with website (let’s hypothetically call it “The Wirecutter”) that compares products with hands on tests and gives a recommendation for the best option for most people.
That's what I have you guys for. :beer
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

strafe wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:52 am I wish someone would come up with website (let’s hypothetically call it “The Wirecutter”) that compares products with hands on tests and gives a recommendation for the best option for most people.
That is a great idea! Unfortunately, someone already did it - they even stole your cool idea for a name: :wink:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-lawnmower/
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Does anyone who has an battery electric mower such as an Ego have any thoughts around how long the batteries will last before they start to lose capacity? I am the type of person who likes to keep things for a long time (my current mower is 15 years old). I am considering a new mower but one thing that stops me on the electrics is the thought of having to replace a very expensive battery every 5-7 years.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

jabberwockOG wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:43 am There is a reason Honda lawnmowers are a little more expensive than most of the others, and it's not due to better marketing. Do yourself a favor and get a Honda mower.
This! Worth the money. I've had a self propelled for 4 seasons and it's been fabulous.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

Zero oil changes.

2003-present.
Really? How can this be? On a separate note; why would you not ever change the oil??
avidlearner

Post by avidlearner »

Do yourself a favor and get Honda https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21-in ... /308910379 you can get Toro if you are going to bag instead of mulch. I had a Toro for last 7 years and I replaced it with honda that is way more powerful in mulching for just $50 more in price.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Consider spending a bit more for a Husqvarna "zero turn" riding mower?
Save the spine.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Toons

Post by Toons »

The Fleet
Troy Bilt -Honda Engine
Ryobi -Lithium

Both have served us better than "well"
Would purchase again
:mrgreen:

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Cobra Commander wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:33 am I took a quick look at battery powered ones such as this one (https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-20-in ... /300402757) and it says it has a 35 minute run time. I see a more expensive one with a 45 minute run time but I suspect the times advertised are under the most optimal conditions so I'm not sure that's going to work for me.
The Ryobi has a compartment for a spare battery if one isn't enough. Two batteries should be fine for 1/3 acre. I mow 1/2 acre yard with two batteries, but have a third just in case. You can get new batteries on ebay for about $75.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

260chrisb wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:21 pm

Zero oil changes.

2003-present.
Really? How can this be? On a separate note; why would you not ever change the oil??
Homeowner owned mowers don't accrue much runtime, and Honda's reputation for outdoor power equipment is founded almost entirely on the quality of their small engines. I don't advocate skipping oil changes, but that anecdote doesn't surprise me one bit.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Kenkat wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:08 pm Does anyone who has an battery electric mower such as an Ego have any thoughts around how long the batteries will last before they start to lose capacity? I am the type of person who likes to keep things for a long time (my current mower is 15 years old). I am considering a new mower but one thing that stops me on the electrics is the thought of having to replace a very expensive battery every 5-7 years.
It's really impossible to say - it entirely depends on how good the battery management systems are on any given brand. In theory, it should be a reasonably long life though as a lawnmower for home use has a low duty cycle (should only need 20-50 cycles per year) and the batteries will probably be stored inside on the charger most of the time so minimal temperature swings. I would certainly expect 5-7 years out of a higher end model, but I would not expect a whole lot longer than that. Still, by that time, replacement prices should have fallen so much that it should no longer be a major expense when you do need replacement.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Kenkat wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:08 pm Does anyone who has an battery electric mower such as an Ego have any thoughts around how long the batteries will last before they start to lose capacity? I am the type of person who likes to keep things for a long time (my current mower is 15 years old). I am considering a new mower but one thing that stops me on the electrics is the thought of having to replace a very expensive battery every 5-7 years.
I don't own an electric mower, but I've been following lithium ion battery development in moderate technical detail for years. I'd expect 5-10 years, depending on use habits and climate. You can help significantly by avoiding storing them in hot locations, and by storing them at roughly half charge during the off-season.
alfaspider wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:17 pmThe Ryobi has a compartment for a spare battery if one isn't enough. Two batteries should be fine for 1/3 acre. I mow 1/2 acre yard with two batteries, but have a third just in case. You can get new batteries on ebay for about $75.
Maybe. Note that Ryobi power tools are primarily sold through Home Depot, and I doubt Ebay sellers like "Kingcashdeals" or "cardon_43" have any business relationship with Home Depot or Techtronic Industries (the manufacturer). Maybe the Ebay sellers are able to source and offer low pricing on legitimate batteries as grey market products or surplussed after a sell-by date, and I don't have reason to doubt that you got a good copy if it's performing as you expect. However, there is also a risk of getting used batteries repackaged as new, remanufacturered batteries, stolen, or counterfeits. The quality could vary from being as good as new, to having reduced performance or longevity, to being a fire risk.

I'm not going to necessarily say don't buy batteries that way, but I do want to point out there's no simple way to verify they are legitimate.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

iamlucky13 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:07 pm
I don't own an electric mower, but I've been following lithium ion battery development in moderate technical detail for years. I'd expect 5-10 years, depending on use habits and climate. You can help significantly by avoiding storing them in hot locations, and by storing them at roughly half charge during the off-season.
alfaspider wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:17 pmThe Ryobi has a compartment for a spare battery if one isn't enough. Two batteries should be fine for 1/3 acre. I mow 1/2 acre yard with two batteries, but have a third just in case. You can get new batteries on ebay for about $75.
Maybe. Note that Ryobi power tools are primarily sold through Home Depot, and I doubt Ebay sellers like "Kingcashdeals" or "cardon_43" have any business relationship with Home Depot or Techtronic Industries (the manufacturer). Maybe the Ebay sellers are able to source and offer low pricing on legitimate batteries as grey market products or surplussed after a sell-by date, and I don't have reason to doubt that you got a good copy if it's performing as you expect. However, there is also a risk of getting used batteries repackaged as new, remanufacturered batteries, stolen, or counterfeits. The quality could vary from being as good as new, to having reduced performance or longevity, to being a fire risk.

I'm not going to necessarily say don't buy batteries that way, but I do want to point out there's no simple way to verify they are legitimate.
If they are copies, they are indistinguishable from genuine and come with genuine packaging. It's possible they are used, though it would have to be very light. If they are stolen, they'd have to have some major inside source because they are often sold by higher volume sellers. Who knows, they do the trick :confused
FusilliJerry

Post by FusilliJerry »

I own a Kobalt 80V mower. Came with two batteries. I get my 1/4 acre done with just one.

After a lifetime of my hands smelling like gas, air filters every couple years, spark plugs, oil changes, I can honestly say I don’t miss the gas mower at all.

This 80V model mulches well.

So silent your ears don’t ring afterwards.

It comes in a self propelled version. Check it out at Lowe’s. They used to come with a 5 year warranty and believe they still do.
Gooch1226

Post by Gooch1226 »

I’ve had the same Honda self walk-behind mower for over 15 years . Not one issue with it .
Laundry_Service

Post by Laundry_Service »

It sounds like a battery-powered mower would be best for your needs and willingness to do maintenance.

If you end up with a gas mower do yourself a favor and use ethanol-free gas. Your carburetor and fuel lines will thank you. You can find locations here: https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=SC

Also, stabil will help the fuel stay good for a longer period of time.