Zoom, Skype or Google Hangouts for limited use?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Lynette

Zoom, Skype or Google Hangouts for limited use?

Post by Lynette » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:41 am

I was wondering whether most people use Zoom, Skype or Google Hangouts for video calls and how proficient one should be if one only uses limited features of the program? Recently I completed a program to become a Master Gardener Volunteer through our local University. I am keen to learn more and enrolled for some classes. Most of them have been cancelled but one is being offered through Zoom. I use Skype for Spanish courses through Italki. All I have to do is answer the Video call. I love this as it gives me a deadline by which I have to complete a task and prevents me from browsing the local news during the stay-at-home time. I do not see much need to use to make video calls to keep in touch with friends or family as I use the phone or email. I do not have any children or grandchildren.

It seems as if it will be relatively simple to log into the Zoom Gardening presentation but I wonder if I should make an effort to learn Zoom better. I have a number of Chromebooks and Microsoft computers. I guess I could create an account and then call myself on another device in order to practice in advance of the meeting. It seems as if Zoom is used extensively by universities. I would appreciate advice on how well I need to know Zoom. Before I retired we used Webex at work and I also spent quite a lot of time learning Skype but I forget if I do not use all of the features on a regular basis.

Thanks.

Lynette

arf30

Re: Zoom, Skype or Google Hangouts for limited use?

Post by arf30 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 am

I'm currently in a consulting role and most of our clients (large corporations) have switched to Zoom, it has the lowest friction for new users. You don't need to know much other than how to toggle mute/video and where the screenshare and chat buttons are.

as9

Post by as9 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:13 am

As a full-time remote team we've tried them all and Zoom is by far the best for reliability. That above all else is why it's become the winner in the space. They are dealing with massive demand at the moment and the reliability has remained high.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:16 am

I have used Zoom for professional purposes for three or four years. It works well and is easy to use. I am a techie, but I don’t think you need to spend a lot of time learning the system ahead of time. Just make sure it works properly on your system before the time of your event.

DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:24 am

For one-on-one chats any of those are fine.

As others have said, Zoom has become popular recently. Larger organizations have mostly gone to Zoom, so it is more familiar to some folks. It has lots of features, but you don't need to learn them if you don't need them. It works well if you have group meetings. If you aren't hosting the meeting, then you really don't need to know anything. The host sends you a web address you use either in a browser or in the free, downloadable zoom client software. To host you need to know how to set up a meeting and probably want to know about some of the most commonly used features (e.g. sharing your screen), but those can be figured out by playing with a little along with watching some of the infinitely many short videos you can find online which give an intro to Zoom.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:36 am

Our org, is on O365. So we've been using Teams with much success. We employ our share of Luddites but they are finally picking it up.

Remote support, team meetings, All Hands meetings, passing docs back and forth. All working as expected. From the top down.

I coordinated the rollout in Dec 2019 then started training in January, Heavy recurring training in February, then this hit. It's been a life line to our company.

anon3838

Post by anon3838 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:38 am

Zoom user for several years now. I've tried them all, and zoom is by far my favorite.

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:41 am

Oh, we do have 1 license for Zoom and it works great. Very easy to use.

Topic Author
Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:28 pm

Thank you all - I guess I will simply wing it for the first class. One of the reasons I am not keen to practice sending a zoom message from one or my computers to another to practice is that I do not want to register with with my primary email. Maybe I will give it a try with a secondary email address I have. I just retired from IT but I would rather spend time on Spanish and learning gardening. I have just ordered some live pansies as it seems it will take 12 weeks from seed and that may or may not work.

Thanks again.

Lynette