USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
DTalos
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:59 pm

USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by DTalos » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:08 pm

I will need a tow-truck to tow my vehicle to the only repair shop I trust, which is about 15 miles away from my location. It's been over a decade since I have needed this service. If they won't tow that far, how will I get my car to the shop? With the current COVID-19 pandemic, I don't even know if I will be allowed to ride in the tow-truck. If not, will the insurance company send a livery service and pay for the ride?

Shallowpockets
Posts: 1637
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:13 pm

Will they tow that far?
Can you ride in the truck?
Will the insurance company send a car for you?

Did you make any calls yet about these concerns? Do you think you might?

sailaway
Posts: 1228
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by sailaway » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:17 pm

If you have a garage you trust, why do you need to go at all until it is time to pick up the car?

Do you have a bike?

Topic Author
DTalos
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by DTalos » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:27 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:13 pm
Will they tow that far?
Can you ride in the truck?
Will the insurance company send a car for you?

Did you make any calls yet about these concerns? Do you think you might?

I might, but I like to be very well prepared when it comes to car repairs.

ryanpj
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:02 am

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by ryanpj » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:40 pm

Bruh...
Just call them and ask

HomeStretch
Posts: 4006
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:43 pm

You can also check USAA’s website for current tow service information. I see it has a covid-related banner posted.

I use AAA which sent an email saying that riding with the driver may be restricted and that AAA will help arrange alternate transportation (although not sure I’d want to ride with AAA driver or uber due to social distancing needed in our covid hard hit area).

Topic Author
DTalos
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by DTalos » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:45 pm

ryanpj wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:40 pm
Bruh...
Just call them and ask

And if they say no, the limit is 10 miles, then what would you suggest I do?

User avatar
MP123
Posts: 1261
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by MP123 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:50 pm

Are you paying for this tow? Every tow company I've ever dealt with would be happy to tow you 15 miles.

What does the insurance company have to do with this? Was there an accident?

HomeStretch
Posts: 4006
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:51 pm

Does USAA use local tow operators?

When I ran into this with AAA or BMW, I called the local tow operator (they gave me the name) and offered $xx in cash to go the extra distance (they accepted). Then I upped my AAA plan to cover a 100 mile tow as insurance in case kids’ car needed to be towed home from state university.

Yiewsley
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:58 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by Yiewsley » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:52 pm

Not to be rude, but no one on here can answer these questions for you. You need to call USAA and the place where you are taking your car to work it out.

ryanpj
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:02 am

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by ryanpj » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:53 pm

DTalos wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:45 pm
ryanpj wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:40 pm
Bruh...
Just call them and ask

And if they say no, the limit is 10 miles, then what would you suggest I do?
Maybe in the future buy a product that will cover towing to the repair shop you trust? Honestly sounds like a personal problem.

Topic Author
DTalos
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by DTalos » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:59 pm

MP123 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:50 pm
Are you paying for this tow? Every tow company I've ever dealt with would be happy to tow you 15 miles.

What does the insurance company have to do with this? Was there an accident?

No accident. I have Roadside Assistance, which includes towing coverage through my insurance company.

User avatar
MP123
Posts: 1261
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by MP123 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:05 pm

DTalos wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:59 pm
MP123 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:50 pm
Are you paying for this tow? Every tow company I've ever dealt with would be happy to tow you 15 miles.

What does the insurance company have to do with this? Was there an accident?

No accident. I have Roadside Assistance, which includes towing coverage through my insurance company.
Ahhh ok, makes sense. Probably better just call them, there's so many variables here that it would be hard for anyone else to know. 15 miles doesn't sound like an unreasonable tow though.

Topic Author
DTalos
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by DTalos » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:05 pm

ryanpj wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:53 pm
DTalos wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:45 pm
ryanpj wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:40 pm
Bruh...
Just call them and ask

And if they say no, the limit is 10 miles, then what would you suggest I do?
Maybe in the future buy a product that will cover towing to the repair shop you trust? Honestly sounds like a personal problem.

Thank you for the inspirational message.

mrc
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:39 am

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by mrc » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:34 pm

The tow company will take the car anywhere, so long as you pay. Any overage charges are between you and the insurance company. I frequently tow about 11 miles to a garage I like. Others are closer (c. 5 miles). The driver warns me I might have to pay some extra out of pocket, and that's the last I ever hear of it.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

MandyT
Posts: 266
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:29 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by MandyT » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:13 pm

I understand that you wouldn't want to do this in normal times, but would you be willing to have USAA tow your vehicle to the repair shop and just not go with it? That way, you wouldn't have to figure out how to get home.

I seem to recall using their Roadside Assistance a few years ago and being charged a (reasonable) surcharge for miles over the allotted mileage.

Good luck!

surfstar
Posts: 2069
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by surfstar » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:20 pm

Sign up for AAA Plus

Topic Author
DTalos
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by DTalos » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:26 pm

surfstar wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:20 pm
Sign up for AAA Plus

Too expensive based on a cost-benefit and probability forecast.

Big Dog
Posts: 1724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by Big Dog » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:28 pm

I have regular AAA towing and my car shop is 2 miles beyond the free distance threshold. So I just give the driver the difference in cash/credit card.

I do not ride with the truck. I just call my local repair shop to tell them that my car is on the way and to call me with a diagnosis.

Topic Author
DTalos
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by DTalos » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:50 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:28 pm
I have regular AAA towing and my car shop is 2 miles beyond the free distance threshold. So I just give the driver the difference in cash/credit card.

I do not ride with the truck. I just call my local repair shop to tell them that my car is on the way and to call me with a diagnosis.

If you live alone and don't have another car, then how do you get to the repair shop?

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 4623
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by lthenderson » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:03 pm

DTalos wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:50 pm
Big Dog wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:28 pm
I have regular AAA towing and my car shop is 2 miles beyond the free distance threshold. So I just give the driver the difference in cash/credit card.

I do not ride with the truck. I just call my local repair shop to tell them that my car is on the way and to call me with a diagnosis.

If you live alone and don't have another car, then how do you get to the repair shop?
Uber, Lyft, Taxi, mass transit, bicycle, call a friend, ask the repair shop to give you a ride to their shop.

HomeStretch
Posts: 4006
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:26 pm

It’s not clear to me from your post... Do you actually need to take your car to the repair shop or are you just planning in case you might have to do so while social distancing is recommended?

Topic Author
DTalos
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by DTalos » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:07 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:26 pm
It’s not clear to me from your post... Do you actually need to take your car to the repair shop or are you just planning in case you might have to do so while social distancing is recommended?
I need to take car to repair shop. It won't start and it's not a battery problem.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 2856
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by F150HD » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:18 pm

call the tow company and ride in the cab w/ the driver.

Big Dog
Posts: 1724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by Big Dog » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:21 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:03 pm
DTalos wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:50 pm
Big Dog wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:28 pm
I have regular AAA towing and my car shop is 2 miles beyond the free distance threshold. So I just give the driver the difference in cash/credit card.

I do not ride with the truck. I just call my local repair shop to tell them that my car is on the way and to call me with a diagnosis.

If you live alone and don't have another car, then how do you get to the repair shop?
Uber, Lyft, Taxi, mass transit, bicycle, call a friend, ask the repair shop to give you a ride to their shop.
In a pinch my local shop will deliver the car after repair. (It doesn't hurt to ask.)

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 5944
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by Kenkat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:22 pm

When I had my car towed to my preferred repair shop after an accident, it just cost me extra when I exceeded the tow limit. It was an extra $10 so I just gave the guy a $20 and said keep it.

As far as riding in the cab in the current circumstances, you are probably going to need to call and ask about that.

tibbitts
Posts: 9760
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by tibbitts » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:28 pm

DTalos wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:26 pm
surfstar wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:20 pm
Sign up for AAA Plus

Too expensive based on a cost-benefit and probability forecast.
But as a part of your forecast you accounted for having to pay extra mile charges. You didn't think that not paying for a more inclusive plan would have no potential economic downside, did you? As far as I know every plan allows you to pay for extra miles, maybe a few dollars per mile.

Topic Author
DTalos
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by DTalos » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:06 pm

It seems like USAA uses a third party called Agero for their towing and they get horrible reviews.

Topic Author
DTalos
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by DTalos » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:32 pm

I can understand how tow truck drivers during the current pandemic would not want anyone to ride in their cab. All forms of transportation except solo engender risk of contracting COVID-19. Would you leave your car with a tow truck driver to take independently to a repair shop and then get a ride in a car from a neighbor?

3504PIR
Posts: 940
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:46 am

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by 3504PIR » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:47 am

DTalos wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:45 pm
ryanpj wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:40 pm
Bruh...
Just call them and ask

And if they say no, the limit is 10 miles, then what would you suggest I do?
Then I would post the question here or maybe pay for a tow myself. Seriously.

Why do you need to ride in the tow truck?

Topic Author
DTalos
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Re: USAA Tow Truck--Social Distancing

Post by DTalos » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:56 am

3504PIR wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:47 am
DTalos wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:45 pm
ryanpj wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:40 pm
Bruh...
Just call them and ask

And if they say no, the limit is 10 miles, then what would you suggest I do?
Then I would post the question here or maybe pay for a tow myself. Seriously.

Why do you need to ride in the tow truck?

Tow truck drivers have a bad reputation from a consumer perspective in general. However with the pandemic, it is best to social distance.

Post Reply