Anyone have success buying something to prevent Sleep apnea/COPD?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Thegame14

Anyone have success buying something to prevent Sleep apnea/COPD?

Post by Thegame14 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:40 am

I am NOT going to wear any kind of mask so that CPAP stuff is out completely. I would prefer not to have a mouthguard, since the reason I have sleep apnea is due to 10 years of nasal polyps so I mostly mouth breathe so a mouth guard I guess I would consider, but If it requires me to have my mouth closed to be effective that isn't going to work, I have to mouth breathe.

Anyone else have these issues with nasal polyps and sleep apnea. I have had the polyp surgery 3 times and finally they haven't come back in a major way, so I can breathe out my nose finally, but mostly still no sense of smell, reduced taste and the above sleeping issues. I need to get it fixed as wife is making a stink over it, but has to be feasible as well.

mega317

Re: Anyone have success buying something to prevent Sleep apnea/COPD?

Post by mega317 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:41 am

This feels like a medical advice thread. In before the lock. I recommend you consult a doctor. For COPD stop smoking and see a doctor.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212

DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:45 am

Sleep apnea can be quite serious. It can lead to heart issues, for example. It's not just about snoring and a lack of sleep. You absolutely should go to a doctor who specializes in this area and not rely on self-treating.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir

Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:46 am

mega317 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:41 am
This feels like a medical advice thread. In before the lock. I recommend you consult a doctor. For COPD stop smoking and see a doctor.
No medical advice at all, there are many consumer products that claim to help with this issue, CPAP machines, mouth guards, essential oils, and I am sure others that I have not heard of, so asking who has a similar issue and what consumer product has helped with it.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:53 am

Before the lock.

You could try a Breathe Right strip at night.

I think the mouth guard is the next step.

Losing excess weight and eating healthy is the best non treatment solution. Your tongue is fat essentially. Bluntly.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:56 am

I do the breathe right strips, I am guessing mouth guard is prob next step, but cant have it so my mouth is closed since I have to mouth breathe and I am worried that the reason the mouth guard works is it forces you to nose breathe.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:06 am

1) Consult a doctor. 2) Whoa. Sleep apnea and COPD are completely different things. Shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath (pun, sorry). 3) Please don't be so quick to rule out any kind of mask. One of the points of being tested is to find out what kind of mask you need--for example, some people can use "nasal pillows" which are not really a "mask" at all. 4) There exists a product named "ProVent" which is a real medical device available by prescription if a sleep doctor thinks they will work for you, that are not masks. They are disposable, hence expensive. No power needed. I keep them around as a backup in case, but I find them psychologically troubling to use... 5) This isn't do-it-yourself stuff, consult a doctor.
Last edited by nisiprius on Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

sport

Post by sport » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:09 am

Thegame14 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:40 am
I am NOT going to wear any kind of mask so that CPAP stuff is out completely.
It is possible to use a CPAP without a "mask". It can be used with a "nose pillow". It just fits into the nostrils and is held in place with a light headgear.

Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:16 am

I don't even see how a mask will work, they connect to your nose, my issue is I don't breathe from my nose only my mouth, so I don't see how it will help.

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:23 am

A custom mouth guard might be a good solution. Although it will depend on the severity of sleep apnea. The guard essentially makes you have an underbite allowing your airway to stay open.

There is also another invasive option you can search on the web that sends shocks to activate muscles but it is fairly new

oldfort

Post by oldfort » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:29 am

This is a medical advice thread, but CPAP is the gold standard for treatment.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:32 am

I removed an off-topic post. This thread has run its course and is locked (medical advice). See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.