Are you still going to the grocery store or using a delivery service? Which?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThunderTurtle

Re: Are you still going to the grocery store or using a delivery service? Which?

Post by ThunderTurtle » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:24 am

We tried our first pickup at Kroger Marketplace this week. Only had to wait one day and the pickup took five minutes. Didn't get out of the car or even roll down our windows. The attendant wore a mask but not gloves. It was free.

There were a lot of items out of stock but we got more than half. The issue was with the online aspect. My wife placed the order okay but tried editing and it was down for hours. She was only able to edit at 1 am and at 3 am she said it was down again. Customer service by phone was overloaded as well.

We're getting a next-day Whole Foods delivery today and will try pickup at another store next week. That store has a one week wait for pickup.

heartwood

Re: Are you still going to the grocery store or using a delivery service? Which?

Post by heartwood » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:38 am

Update: As noted by others after I posted Total Wine delivery options are location dependent. My state locations have changed delivery options in the last week. I had a delivery about 10 days ago. Now no delivery at all. Store pickup after online ordering apparently in operation, as well as shipping from out-of-state at high shipping price and no liquor. I'll either do pickup or a grocery with wine and liquor.

Groceries: No delivery slots or pickup spots available from any of 8 major options at all. I had a delivery 10 days ago with half the items unavailable. I went to Trader Joe's yesterday. They limit to 50 people in the store. It was a 45 minute line around the parking lot, with social distancing of 15 - 20 feet or more. The store was well stocked. Two of one item limit plus a one cart limit. If you bring a reusable bag you must pack yourself. Otherwise they do pack using their double bagged paper.

I also went yesterday to a local chain I hadn't been to in years. If you don't want TP, towels, laundry detergent or Goya canned goods, it was like last year! No wait, all the shelves stocked, and lots of ice cream. Very unlike the other major markets I've been to recently with many empty shelves, little meat, no fresh sea food and no ice cream! I'll go directly there next time.

My take away from this thread is that experiences, either delivery or going to the store, are very location dependent.

tealeaves

Post by tealeaves » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:20 am

60:40 stocks vs.bonds,and 60:40 going to grocery vs.getting delivery.

60:49

Topic Author
totallynotsure

Post by totallynotsure » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:30 am

onourway wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:04 am
Rob5TCP wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:09 pm
Until recently I used Fresh Direct, but their spots have been impossible to get.
I tried Wegman's through instacart and ended up paying $70 for about $40 worth of groceries
(ordered over $200 and gave a $15 tip, plus $9 service charge and $6 delivery charge),
I was expecting 4 -5 bags of groceries and the guy handed me ONE.
I felt totally ripped off.

I did better when ordering from Fairway- I was told right away what they were low on
and offered several alternatives. I ended up getting 85% of what I ordered.

Would like to give wegman's another chance but I am just so pissed off at their poor
response to my complaint (contrary to their highly rated service).
I have been using Instacart at Wegmans since well before this time. Something sounds off here? I gather you “ordered” $200 worth of groceries but they only fulfilled about $40 worth, and you paid another $30 in tips and fees?

So a couple of things - one, I don’t do delivery because even when delivery is advertised as “only $3.99” or even “free” there is still the service fee and tip. But I can pick up without ever leaving my car which some people probably can’t. Two - your Instacart shopper should be chatting with you while shopping. You can then tell them directly for each item they are having trouble getting what an acceptable range of alternatives is. We are having success with this even though right now you have to order a week in advance and probably 50% of your order is “out of stock” by chatting with the shopper in real time, we get acceptable replacements and thus get ~90% of our order filled.

Lastly, if you have an issue you need to complain to Instacart, not Wegmans. In the past, prior to things getting crazy - they immediately refunded anything and everything I complained about - whether it was because the shopper picked the wrong kind of cheese or because they did a poor job picking produce. I doubt they are being quite so generous now, but Instacart should be your point of contact.
you can use Instacart for pick up? that sounds like a solid idea. how do you pick up groceries without leaving your car though?

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:38 am

Over the past couple of weeks, I've ordered 3 times through the pick-up services offered by local stores. The first 2 were fine, even though they were missing a lot of items.

Yesterday was disappointing but the stores are all slammed and looking for workers so I'm trying to be compassionate. First they gave me someone else's groceries so it was a good thing I noticed while they were loading them. Then I had to wait another 10 minutes but I understand since it seems the worker was new. Finally, when I got home, many items were missing so I assume they were out of stock so I understand that as well. But, I still have pending CC charges for these items which I will have to watch and see what is finally posted; hopefully I won't have to dispute anything.

Time slots are very limited but the stores seem to be offering more of them. For Safeway, I had to drive about 30 minutes to find a time slot but that's ok.

Summary, I will probably order again by pick-up. Much better than dealing with the panic I witnessed a couple weeks ago when I went in the store and people were really grumpy and many shelves were empty.

I am adjusting my expectations during these challenging times. I am thankful for all the employees at the grocery stores since they are putting themselves at risk as well and are overwhelmed with customers, etc. :happy

PhysicsTeacher

Post by PhysicsTeacher » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:39 am

InvestingGeek wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:27 am
Anyone here know where/how to get bread or all purpose flour. No bread available here or flour in stores. We've baked so much bread over the last couple of weeks, we've run out of flour. Making do with rice for now.

Doesn't seem to be available at Amazon online either.
Bakers Authority, which primarily serves commercial bakeries but will deliver to individual consumers as well, worked for me. It appears their stock is lower these days, with some sizes/products unavailable, but they still have lots of options. The shipping times are probably longer now.

www.bakersauthority.com

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:57 am

kevinf wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:19 pm
Lynette wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:08 am
My own unverified opinion is that bleach kills nasty germs and viruses. I mix this with a cleaner I got from Dollar Tree store and spray it on surfaces and then wipe it down with paper Towels. I could not find bleach at my local grocery store so I decided to go to Home Depot at 6:00 a.m. this morning. They had some paper towels and bleach.

I also bought some potting soil as I want to plant some seeds indoors. There was virtually no one there. Then I went to my local supermarket - senior hour. They were only allowing in a certain number of people at a time. I observed that there was no toilet paper. Fortunately I do not need any. Recently I took a gardening course and I want to do the practical now. I bought a few pans to cook the soil - apparently half an hour at 180 degrees will kill the bugs! I also bought some more seeds to plant. Rereading my gardening manuals and planning for spring is keeping me sane.

It was easy to keep my distance from everyone. Some people were wearing masks and looked a little stressed. To me the people who work in the grocery stores are some of the heroes during this pandemic.
downshiftme wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:42 pm
bleach kills nasty germs and viruses. I mix this with a cleaner I got from Dollar Tree
BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT THIS. Mixing cleaning products can be fatal.
Never mix ammonia and bleach!

One of the most common hazards occurs when chlorine bleach is mixed with ammonia or acids. The combination of ammonia and bleach produces dangerous chlorine gas, which in small doses can cause irritation to the eyes, skin and respiratory tract. In large doses, it can kill. Chlorine gas, also known as mustard gas, was actually used in WWI & WWII.

One way this occurs is when people disinfect an area with bleach before cleaning. For example, you could use bleach to disinfect the sink area, then wash the dishes with an antibacterial dish soap which contains ammonia. If an area has been cleaned with other products, make sure the area is thoroughly rinsed with uncontaminated water before bleach is used.
Agreed with this. Bleach is an extremely powerful alkaline base (13 out of a 14 scale), which is a property that makes it an effective cleaner. Mixing it will cause it to react with the mixed product, reducing its effectiveness and potentially creating caustic gas byproducts.

If you want something clean, use undiluted bleach and rinse the residue off afterward with a distilled water/vinegar solution or alcohol.
Is using distilled water *necessary* for this rinse? Is the vinegar even necessary IF one uses water liberally?

As for the alcohol, if one had enough of that to rinse entire surface, wouldn't that have worked as the sanitizer? Or is bleach that much better?

Thanks!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

amp

Post by amp » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:08 am

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:38 am
Time slots are very limited but the stores seem to be offering more of them. For Safeway, I had to drive about 30 minutes to find a time slot but that's ok.
If you keep an eye on the grocery store websites you'll see at what time of day they add new slots. For example, it looks like Walmart adds new slots at midnight. You can then log in right after they are added and grab one.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:12 am

amp wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:08 am
JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:38 am
If you keep an eye on the grocery store websites you'll see at what time of day they add new slots. For example, it looks like Walmart adds new slots at midnight. You can then log in right after they are added and grab one.
Good idea, thanks!

onourway

Post by onourway » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:20 am

totallynotsure wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:30 am
you can use Instacart for pick up? that sounds like a solid idea. how do you pick up groceries without leaving your car though?
You pull up to a dedicated area at the curb. You can let them know you are on your way from the app on your phone, and they will have your location so meet you out there. They put the bags in the car.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:47 am

Here's an interesting article from Time regarding this topic:

How Can You Safely Grocery Shop in the Time of Coronavirus? Here's What Experts Suggest

https://time.com/5810782/grocery-store- ... ronavirus/

Segments:

"A spokesperson for the CDC tells TIME that “[currently] there is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with food or food packaging.” However, you should always wash your hands before and after handling food. The CDC also recommends you wash your hands again after you unload your groceries, and clean kitchen surfaces like countertops, cabinet handles and light switches."

"But what if you’re not sick? The CDC currently does not recommend people wear gloves or a face mask in public unless they “have been exposed and are displaying symptoms of the virus,” according to an agency spokesperson.

Personal protective equipment like gloves or masks can give people “a false sense of security,” Sauer explains. You might be less determined to not touch your face or wash your hands. “You [also] have a higher risk of exposing yourself to something if you take the gloves and mask off wrong,” she adds.

Hedberg writes that wearing a mask will “do little to prevent you from exposure to a virus” if you are near people who are infected."

InvestingGeek

Post by InvestingGeek » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:24 pm

PhysicsTeacher wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:39 am
InvestingGeek wrote:
Anyone here know where/how to get bread or all purpose flour. No bread available here or flour in stores. We've baked so much bread over the last couple of weeks, we've run out of flour. Making do with rice for now.

Bakers Authority, which primarily serves commercial bakeries but will deliver to individual consumers as well, worked for me. It appears their stock is lower these days, with some sizes/products unavailable, but they still have lots of options. The shipping times are probably longer now.

www.bakersauthority.com
Excellent lead – thanks!

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:53 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:57 am
kevinf wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:19 pm
Lynette wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:08 am
My own unverified opinion is that bleach kills nasty germs and viruses. I mix this with a cleaner I got from Dollar Tree store and spray it on surfaces and then wipe it down with paper Towels. I could not find bleach at my local grocery store so I decided to go to Home Depot at 6:00 a.m. this morning. They had some paper towels and bleach.

I also bought some potting soil as I want to plant some seeds indoors. There was virtually no one there. Then I went to my local supermarket - senior hour. They were only allowing in a certain number of people at a time. I observed that there was no toilet paper. Fortunately I do not need any. Recently I took a gardening course and I want to do the practical now. I bought a few pans to cook the soil - apparently half an hour at 180 degrees will kill the bugs! I also bought some more seeds to plant. Rereading my gardening manuals and planning for spring is keeping me sane.

It was easy to keep my distance from everyone. Some people were wearing masks and looked a little stressed. To me the people who work in the grocery stores are some of the heroes during this pandemic.
downshiftme wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:42 pm
bleach kills nasty germs and viruses. I mix this with a cleaner I got from Dollar Tree
BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT THIS. Mixing cleaning products can be fatal.
Never mix ammonia and bleach!

One of the most common hazards occurs when chlorine bleach is mixed with ammonia or acids. The combination of ammonia and bleach produces dangerous chlorine gas, which in small doses can cause irritation to the eyes, skin and respiratory tract. In large doses, it can kill. Chlorine gas, also known as mustard gas, was actually used in WWI & WWII.

One way this occurs is when people disinfect an area with bleach before cleaning. For example, you could use bleach to disinfect the sink area, then wash the dishes with an antibacterial dish soap which contains ammonia. If an area has been cleaned with other products, make sure the area is thoroughly rinsed with uncontaminated water before bleach is used.
Agreed with this. Bleach is an extremely powerful alkaline base (13 out of a 14 scale), which is a property that makes it an effective cleaner. Mixing it will cause it to react with the mixed product, reducing its effectiveness and potentially creating caustic gas byproducts.

If you want something clean, use undiluted bleach and rinse the residue off afterward with a distilled water/vinegar solution or alcohol.
Is using distilled water *necessary* for this rinse? Is the vinegar even necessary IF one uses water liberally?

As for the alcohol, if one had enough of that to rinse entire surface, wouldn't that have worked as the sanitizer? Or is bleach that much better?

Thanks!

RM
Necessary? No.

Bleach leaves a visible residue on many surfaces that most people would want to remove. If you use undistilled water for clean-up you may get water spots so distilled is better. The residue may still be alkaline so the acetic acid in vinegar will help neutralize this if so.

Use alcohol if you don't want to use the water/vinegar mix as it evaporates quickly and will not leave water spots. Alcohol takes longer to kill microorganisms than bleach and is far less effective at stains and deposits that require mechanical breakdown by chemical reaction. Bleach is the gold standard for disinfection.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:16 am

InvestingGeek wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:24 pm
Excellent lead – thanks!
Very steep delivery charges though. Almost 100% of the cost of goods ...

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:18 am

If you haven't had any luck finding a time slot for Amazon Fresh or Whole Foods, as has been the case for me, checking every day multiple times a day for 3 weeks, you can get part of your Amazon Prime fees refunded. It took a while on chat talking to multiple agents, but it's not like I don't have the time since I'm confined at home. Got one month of prime charges refunded. I hope they fix this situation.

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:07 am

After figuring out the "how to order online" ropes at our local Harris-Teeter (a Southeast chain owned by Kroger), we've had two good experiences.

DW has twice failed with Wegmans/Instacart. Neither of them seems to know what the other is doing. I would have given up long ago.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:24 am

Just as I'm starting to get the hang of InstaCart, they announce a strike.

I have a feeling that in about four weeks, we will look back at March as being a Golden Age...
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:27 am

InvestingGeek wrote:

Check online stock of the warehouse club stores around you. Most likely one store will have it. Then buy the membership and have your order shipped to you. That's how I got mine yesterday. Shipping was $7. membership costs $25.

Grogs

Post by Grogs » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:03 am

I just started using the pickup from Kroger's last week. I put in an order Thursday and picked it up this morning (Sunday). I could have had Saturday afternoon, but I preferred this time slot. The only thing I couldn't get was canned cat food. They offered to substitute the fish and chicken with some beef stuff, but I've found out from experience it will end up on the carpet if my cats eat beef, so I declined it. There were 2-3 other substitutions like a turkey-pot pie instead of chicken, but all pretty minor differences. I was able to get milk, blueberries, sandwich meat, and milk with no problem.

There was only one other car at the pickup spot. When I called, they asked me to open the trunk before they go there. I did, and 60 seconds later she put the groceries in the trunk. She asked from about 15 feet away from my window if the substitutions were OK, I said yes, and that was it. I had to get out and close the trunk myself. I did a disinfecting routine at home that probably took longer than the whole trip to the store.

What I haven't figured out is a good way to leave them a tip. Tape a $5 on the trunk? I'm sure they'd rather not have cash, but there's no electronic way I've found.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:09 am

Grogs wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:03 am
I just started using the pickup from Kroger's last week. I put in an order Thursday and picked it up this morning (Sunday). I could have had Saturday afternoon, but I preferred this time slot. The only thing I couldn't get was canned cat food. They offered to substitute the fish and chicken with some beef stuff, but I've found out from experience it will end up on the carpet if my cats eat beef, so I declined it. There were 2-3 other substitutions like a turkey-pot pie instead of chicken, but all pretty minor differences. I was able to get milk, blueberries, sandwich meat, and milk with no problem.

There was only one other car at the pickup spot. When I called, they asked me to open the trunk before they go there. I did, and 60 seconds later she put the groceries in the trunk. She asked from about 15 feet away from my window if the substitutions were OK, I said yes, and that was it. I had to get out and close the trunk myself. I did a disinfecting routine at home that probably took longer than the whole trip to the store.

What I haven't figured out is a good way to leave them a tip. Tape a $5 on the trunk? I'm sure they'd rather not have cash, but there's no electronic way I've found.
Tipping is a problem.
At least in this area, when there is a delivery, the driver was also the shopper.
But when there is pickup, the person carrying the bags to the car is NOT the shopper.
So yes, HOW does one tip the person doing the real work, and under less than ideal conditions?

RM

BV3273

Post by BV3273 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:13 am

If we go it’s either me or my wife. Kids stay home. Tried instacart but plan on longer lead times. We checked our supplies and their timeline which was about a week for a delivery.

InvestingGeek

Post by InvestingGeek » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:31 am

madbrain wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:16 am
InvestingGeek wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:24 pm
Excellent lead – thanks!
Very steep delivery charges though. Almost 100% of the cost of goods ...
Yep 🥴. We might have to bite the bullet and order anyway. Going to try other places for a few more days.
bryansmile wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:27 am
InvestingGeek wrote:

Check online stock of the warehouse club stores around you. Most likely one store will have it. Then buy the membership and have your order shipped to you. That's how I got mine yesterday. Shipping was $7. membership costs $25.
Things are pretty bad here. No deliveries or pickups at local stores. I'll keep trying.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:36 am

We are going about once per week right now with requests from neighbors (several with multiple risk factors including a kidney transplant and recent cancer). Teaming with neighbors seems like a good option that helps everyone out by lowering exposure (fewer people in stores, fewer people in contact with store employees). Deliveries are booked up. Amazon's bulk non-perishable supply chain seems to be depleted. I got an 18 pack of shelf stable Almond milk last weekend after a two week delay. Amazon bulk items are now mostly "out of stock and don't know when or if will be available again"

We have a good supply of beautician gloves which we use in the store for now. Paper products go fast and have a quota. Meat was in supply but had a quota. No eggs. Canned/packaged foods were limited. Plenty of produce and frozen goods. Cleaning products are non-existent. We've seen supplies improve in most areas over the past two weeks.

Once home many hand washings. Bags are set on garage floor and unloaded from there not bought on to the kitchen counter. If we used a Clorox wipe on paper boxes we'd run out of wipes within a month. We have a few months supply of Clorox wipes we stocked up on in February. We use them judiciously with the assumption they won't be replenished.

Social distancing in the store is impossible. Other people just won't play along. You either have to go past them stopped idly in the middle of the aisle with a cart deciding whether to buy Corn Flakes or Rice Krispies or you have to skip the aisle. Does not seem to be a "get in and get out quickly" mentality. Cashiers on the other hand have been very efficient. Is a checker who uses bare hands safer than one who has been reusing the same pair of nitrile gloves for a week?

OffGridder

Post by OffGridder » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:47 pm

I did our weekly fresh greens, fruit, eggs and dairy run on Friday at 7AM. Not crowded. Well stocked for the things I get. Did check the cleaning and paper products aisle out of curiosity (we have plenty). Those shelves we're empty.

People around here are still friendly. Always a wave and hello, even at a distance.
"Goodness is the only investment that never fails." | H.D. Thoreau

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:52 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:24 am
I have a feeling that in about four weeks, we will look back at March as being a Golden Age...
+1

It might not even be peaking in the US for another four weeks,or longer.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:26 pm

I just read a local Trader Joe's had an employee test positive so they closed down to clean and sanitize.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:32 pm

Kroger pick up is a week out now around these parts.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:42 pm

Watty wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:52 pm
nisiprius wrote:
+1

Yes, someone up-thread or another thread provided a U of WA projection. May peak in early May in my area if that model is correct. :shock:

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:35 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:42 pm
Watty wrote:
nisiprius wrote:
+1

Yes, someone up-thread or another thread provided a U of WA projection. May peak in early May in my area if that model is correct. :shock:
Not even thinking peak projections at this point. Just hoping these delivery services are able to hire enough staff and get the kinks ironed out as more and more people turn to them.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself – and you are the easiest person to fool. ~Richard Feynman

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:47 pm

Fallible wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:35 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Watty wrote:
nisiprius wrote:
+1

Not even thinking peak projections at this point. Just hoping these delivery services are able to hire enough staff and get the kinks ironed out as more and more people turn to them.
Agree. A local Kroger store made a lot of errors and overcharged me several days ago (which I will now deal with via CC dispute). But I know these are trying times so trying to be patient and forgiving. :happy

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:51 pm

Fallible wrote:
JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Watty wrote:
nisiprius wrote:
+1

It looks like InstaCart has not resolved the planned strike tomorrow.
And I think Amazon warehouse in Staten Island may be going on strike about similar health related concerns.

The supply chain of food to end users/consumers is rather important, and help is needed for those who cannot/should not go into the stores.

RM

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:55 pm

totallynotsure wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:00 am
Are you still going to the grocery store or using a delivery service? Which?
Yes, I am still going to the grocery stores as always. Nothing has changed.

nascar090210

Post by nascar090210 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:07 pm

Still going to all of the stores. It’s business as usual for most people.

mlcolorado

Post by mlcolorado » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:14 pm

Scheduled to try curbside pickup at Walmart and City Market for the first time this week.

CAP_theorem

Post by CAP_theorem » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:42 pm

I have a person I know do it for me and pay them generously. It’s not that much more expensive (between fees, tip, and markup Instacart is expensive!) and lo and behold when they shop they get pretty much everything.

Instacart shoppers were awful. Not even trying, and I tip 15%.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:05 pm

We are still going to the grocery store. Typically once per week for a regular order but it can also include one or two small stops if needed.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Currently going to the grocery store: put on protective gloves as soon as I get out of the car. Shop, keeping as much distance between others as I can, but still smiling and saying good morning to them. Take off and dispose of the protective gloves before I get back in the car. Wipe hands with sanitizing wipes before getting in car. Wash hands as soon as I get home.

DH says I'm paranoid, and maybe I am. But he is 81 with underlying conditions, and I'm trying to protect both of us.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:13 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Just as I'm starting to get the hang of InstaCart, they announce a strike.

Over the course of my Instacart express free trial, I was only able to get one delivery of Pastis from Total Wine, and about $30 (out of $190 ordered) from Safeway, due to lack of time slots, and lack of inventory at the stores. That was 2 weeks ago. Ever since, there hasn't been a single time slot available for delivery from any store. The strike won't change anything - the service that was already useless. If I were one of their shoppers or delivery workers, I certainly wouldn't be working without personal protective equipment, medical benefits, or hazard pay.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:24 pm

InvestingGeek wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:31 am
Yep 🥴. We might have to bite the bullet and order anyway. Going to try other places for a few more days.
A few weeks ago, I ordered some grossly overpriced active dry yeast and instant dry yeast from ebay.
$13 for 1lb of SAF instant yeast including shipping. And $30 for 2 lb of Red Star active dry yeast. About 3x the prices of what I last paid from Amazon two years ago. The old yeast was expired and bread wasn't rising.
There is no yeast to be had from Amazon. Just unknown brands of yeast from China that I didn't want to take a chance on.
I have been making bread every day this week, so this wasn't a bad purchase. At some point I will need to buy more flour, though.
I still have tons (as in, 100 lbs) of all-purpose flour, but not so much bread flour. I think one can buy vital wheat gluten and add it to all-purpose to substitute for bread flour.
https://tastessence.com/bread-flour-substitute
But even that seems to be in limited availability ...

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:26 pm

Fallible wrote:
Even then, there are lines to enter grocery stores due to the 6ft social distancing that is being enforced. Just hiring new shoppers and delivery staff won't help because there is only so many shoppers allowed in stores. And inventories at stores are low. And of course those shoppers lack personal protective equipment, medical benefits, and hazard pay. So people are probably not going to rush to do those jobs.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:28 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:51 pm
The supply chain of food to end users/consumers is rather important, and help is needed for those who cannot/should not go into the stores.
Yes. This is a huge problem. California called in the National guard to help with delivering to food banks. I wish they were doing this for everybody with medical needs.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:29 pm

Gnirk wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:12 pm
DH says I'm paranoid, and maybe I am. But he is 81 with underlying conditions, and I'm trying to protect both of us.
You are not being paranoid. You can't be too careful.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:00 pm

After mixed results with Safeway and Kroger curbside pickup, I am trying Amazon Fresh this week (delivery to the door).

The online ordering process seems easier; they show what is out of stock but I'll see what I end up with when the order arrives. Trying to be optimistic!

Fewer selections but I can live with that.

Also, there seemed to be quite a few open time slots 2 days out so it seems they are adding more slots. :happy

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:44 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:00 pm
Also, there seemed to be quite a few open time slots 2 days out so it seems they are adding more slots. :happy
Lucky you. I'm seeing 0 time slot one month out.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:47 pm

so far I'm still going to the store
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:57 pm

nascar090210 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:07 pm
Still going to all of the stores. It’s business as usual for most people.
Went to Costco today, they had everything in stock. Even TP and paper towels. :beer

srj

Post by srj » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:07 pm

We've been using Whole Foods (Amazon) delivery but as others have noticed it's getting difficult to get a delivery time. The trick seems to be to add items to your cart, then when you're at the page that shows no delivery times you just keep refreshing periodically. New people enter in to do deliveries all the time.

This hasn't been a great experience, we often don't get everything we ordered and things are mysteriously deleted out of our cart on Amazon's page. I'm still glad it's an option for now though.

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:41 am

Going to store.

No dates this week for delivery

bearwithbear

Post by bearwithbear » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:01 am

Madbrain,

If your all purpose flour is King Arthur then you can make bread with just the all purpose flour.
Beginning to see some flour - with buying limits.

Best,
Bear

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:22 am

srj wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:07 pm
We've been using Whole Foods (Amazon) delivery but as others have noticed it's getting difficult to get a delivery time. The trick seems to be to add items to your cart, then when you're at the page that shows no delivery times you just keep refreshing periodically. New people enter in to do deliveries all the time.

This hasn't been a great experience, we often don't get everything we ordered and things are mysteriously deleted out of our cart on Amazon's page. I'm still glad it's an option for now though.
At the checkout page where it has to options for checkout -- whole foods, and amazon cart -- if they removed your items there would be a message above the checkout button. If I didnt get a time slot, at the checkout I always re-read that message. I have never cancelled the order because my items got removed from cart, and its better to know what you aren't getting so you can add those in instacart.

i would overall prefer amazon/WF over instacart due to insane price markup by instacart on certain items (toilet paper is ~30% higher than at the store) if amazon would have slots available. I had to go through the entire day of checking if slots are available before getting one in evening. And my $100 grocery cart became $50 cart because they cancelled everything else :| Maybe it was a weekend thing.