Are you still going to the grocery store or using a delivery service? Which?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mediahound

Re: Are you still going to the grocery store or using a delivery service? Which?

Post by mediahound » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:18 am

I've been paying attention to posts on my neighborhood nextdoor.com site and patronizing stores that are paying attention to the physical distancing. Example, this local natural foods grocer near me is allowing only a certain amount of shoppers in at a time, and the queue to get in has demarcation lines:

https://share.getcloudapp.com/rRu6B5Nk

The Costco near me is also wiping each cart with sanitation wipes before they give them to customers.

If I need to go to another store, I'm using self checkout whenever possible.

halfnine

Re: Are you still going to the grocery store or using a delivery service? Which?

Post by halfnine » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:35 am

Our local hospital has hit capacity. I am not doing either for a while.

Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:45 am

Fortunately my wife was ahead of the game and stocked up on 2 months+ of everything during the last week of February. We went to the supermarket two weeks ago for some wine but have not been back since. We get a large box of fruit & veggies every week from Misfits Market, as we have been since last year. I think we are good until late May or June. Also getting the garden prepped over the next week (seedlings already growing in the basement under grow lights).

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:48 am

Last year, we had a month long trip and completely cleared out our pantry, refrigerator, and both freezers. When we returned, we took advantage of all the holiday sales and completely stocked our kitchen with sufficient food that would allow us to make it into the summer months.

I have been gone for two weeks. The ONLY things that I knew that I was short on was milk, bread, and fresh vegetables. On the drive between Cleveland and Tucson, we stopped at several groceries to pick up a few items. When we arrived home, we traded a neighbor a 5# bag of rice for a gallon of milk. We are self-quarantining for two weeks as I was very recently hospitalized in a hospital treating a lot of Covad-19 patients.

I am viewing this as a once in a lifetime opportunity to erase my entire schedule and take control of it. My intent at this point is to remain out of touch until May 2.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:48 am

ADAMNOGGI wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:51 am
JoeRetire wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:23 am
totallynotsure wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:00 am
Still going.
The local markets have set aside early-morning solely for "seniors". I used that yesterday to get some toilet paper for my son's family.
Early morning hours OK, but some planners forgot many seniors don't drive during hours of darkness. Our local Giant set hours for seniors 0630 Am until 0800 (sunrise at 0730)
Some planners just load and fire with no assessment of effect. :wink:
The "Senior Hours" at our market were 5:30 - 7:00 am. They did it this way, so that the store has been freshly cleaned, sanitized, and the shelves filled.

Perhaps that doesn't work for everyone, and perhaps the seniors who can't or won't drive those hours can get a family member to take them and wait outside. Personally, I'm grateful for it and choose not to complain about a little inconvenience.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

frugalmama

Post by frugalmama » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:53 am

I am not - I stopped yesterday. If I need something, I will order online but I shouldn't need to order for quite a while. I tend to keep quite a stock of food just because every meal is like a small dinner party for us. The limits kill me because I can't do much with 1 bag of beans as it takes 2 for a single meal so going, especially when places are out of things really isn't worth the risk for me. I plan to eat down what I have for a while and then order things online as I find deals so that I don't spend too much. We are starting to have more cases here, so the risk/reward doesn't make sense for my family at this point.

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:54 am

After going to various grocery stores during the pandemic, I will only be shopping at one in the future.

One place is wiping down the handles on the carts and they are washing the conveyor belt between customers. Costco is my favorite.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:43 pm

mouses wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:34 am
ADAMNOGGI wrote:

Early morning hours OK, but some planners forgot many seniors don't drive during hours of darkness. Our local Giant set hours for seniors 0630 Am until 0800 (sunrise at 0730)
Are you in some weird time zone? It gets light here about 6:30am and some webbing says that's true local time across the USA.
Detroit's sunrise is at around 7:30am now. The western part of a time zone will have a later sunrise than the eastern part.
https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/detroit

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:59 pm

We still go. With delivery service someone else inside the store would have to touch the items additionally. I went today to Walmart, needed Ibuprofin to let me walk and sleep without occasional pain. So since I was already inside I looked around, and saw that they had paper items, TP and Kleenex. filled up the cart with them. Then at self-checkout a W employee took most paper items away, they had a policy of only 2 small TP packs and 1 Kleenex pack, did not see any hint of that. Makes sense when looking at the big picture...

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:22 pm

bluebolt wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:43 pm
mouses wrote:
ADAMNOGGI wrote:

Are you in some weird time zone? It gets light here about 6:30am and some webbing says that's true local time across the USA.
Detroit's sunrise is at around 7:30am now. The western part of a time zone will have a later sunrise than the eastern part.
https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/detroit
And I would assume that the more northern locales would have different daylight "times" than the more southern locales within the USA.
It's not at all "the exact same sunrise/sunset time" for all areas of the USA.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:01 pm

We are in pretty good supply at this time.

I went out a couple of days ago and filled the gaps.

One store that had decent inventory was Dollar General. No fresh vegetables but I was able to pickup a number of items at a fraction of the cost of regular stores.

Fortunately we were in good supply on the paper products going into the panic buying. Love Costco for the big packages of TP and PT.

Ed

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:08 pm

My grocery store is a mile walk away. It gives me a chance for a little leisure exercise and to see the neighborhood. Sometimes I see someone I know; but we’re all social distancing. Yesterday I knocked on the window of my favorite hangout to wave to the owner on lockdown inside.

catdude

Post by catdude » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:22 pm

I've been using Walmart pick-up recently. I just put in an order for pick-up tomorrow afternoon. I'm impressed with this service... it seems to work quite well. Sure beats going into the store and being exposed to other shoppers.
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)

jjface

Post by jjface » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:24 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:57 am
I'm experimenting with InstaCart deliveries from a couple of local supermarkets. I haven't really got the hang of it yet so can't really say. I'm slightly overwhelmed with the instant-message socializing involved because InstaCart forces you to pick one particular brand--and a substitute that usually isn't really the cleverest. So my two experiences so far have been getting ten pings on my phone from the shopper asking if I'm OK with Food Club canned tomatoes instead of Del Monte, and I want to scream "Food Club is what I always get, but that wasn't shown as a choice!"

And the search feature sucks, at least for the grocery stores I've tried. I can type the exact name, or key parts of the exact name, exactly right, and not have it show up in "search by best match," yet have it show up when I change it to "unit price: low first." I've tested by copying and pasting the exact name exactly as they display it themselves and still not have it show under "best match."

I'm also flummoxed by rapid changes in available delivery times from same day, to six days off, to "delivery not available."

I'm definitely in "beggars can't be chooser" mode so I'm trying not to ignore all of the problems with prices. It's a lot more expensive, not only because they don't match store prices (and say so), but also because of limited availability of different product sizes... and a pile-up of fees when you actually check out... and angst over how much to tip. And a lavishly-rounded-up hold on the credit card.

And when I search on "tips on using InstaCart" all I get are article on how much to tip. And if I search for "InstaCart tricks and secrets" all I get are tips on how to be an InstaCart shopper.

Overall I'm grudgingly pleased, we can survive on having everything delivered via InstaCart but it is definitely Something To Complain About. Honestly hope it continues to be available as demand rises.

So, yeah, any words of wisdom would be welcome.
You can just chat with them during the delivery and say could you get me 2x food club canned tomatoes. No need to add the del monte to the order in the first place if you don't want them. They will add it to the bill at the end. You can ask them to get anything you can't find online but you know they usually sell instore.

You can also choose your own alternatives and not just the one they suggest online. There is an option somewhere.

Shipt allows you to enter in "special requests" for items not online and the shopper will find it for you in store. Shipt is basically the same as instacart but less interactive. I find the prices to be a little cheaper for some reason too and the website easier to navigate. The shoppers will text you for subsitutions and things and delivery slots seem to be more available and precise. Probably better for you than instacart.

I find the online delivery prices og individual items have a markup but if you get the shopper to buy extras they charge you whatever is the in store price. So if there is something you know they have raised the priced online then don't add it to your initial order and just ask the shopper to get it for you.

As far as tipping I usually give a reasonable amount even if I am not all the way happy due to all the virus concerns right now. If someone really goes out of their way I tip more of course like one shopper managed to get me toilet paper a week or so ago when the shelves were practically empty. It was good of them to get it for me and not keep it for themselves!

These home delivery options are invaluable right now in my opinion.

AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:09 pm

ADAMNOGGI wrote:
JoeRetire wrote:
totallynotsure wrote:
Still going.
The local markets have set aside early-morning solely for "seniors". I used that yesterday to get some toilet paper for my son's family.
I believe they do that because they can clean overnight, and want the cleanest store for the vulnerable population. That needs to be balanced against maximizing the number of open hours to reduce the number of people there at any one time. Darkness is IMHO a tertiary issue.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:13 pm

Where I live there still are no confirmed cases (as of last Friday anyway), and the state mandates no more than 10 people in the store at once (so there was a bit of a line to enter at Trader Joe's). Under the circumstances, using sensible pub. health procedures (hand washing before and after, social distance, not handing over cash or cards or signing receipts with public pen, etc.) I don't think I am posing much of a significant risk to myself or others.

If I lived in NYC and had to take the subway to the market, for example, I would feel very differently.

PhysicsTeacher

Post by PhysicsTeacher » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:22 pm

Neither at this point. We last shopped on the twelfth, and I'm not sure when it will be best to go resupply. We could theoretically go a few months since we have some prexisting long term food storage, but I'd prefer not to get the point where we have to grind our own wheat...

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:53 pm

AnonJohn wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:09 pm
ADAMNOGGI wrote:
JoeRetire wrote:
totallynotsure wrote:
Still going.
I believe they do that because they can clean overnight, and want the cleanest store for the vulnerable population. That needs to be balanced against maximizing the number of open hours to reduce the number of people there at any one time. Darkness is IMHO a tertiary issue.
In my store, they are shooting for several things:
- As clean and sanitized as possible
- Away from the crowd
- Shelves as stocked as possible

Seems to me it's working.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:59 pm

Still going the store. I'm in the low risk category and am not in an area with a significant outbreak yet. Washing my hands before and after the trip. I also did some shopping for my in-laws who are in the higher risk 70+ category (but no significant conditions thankfully).

Things have actually started to normalize after the initial panic buying has dropped off. Went today and they had a pretty good selection of meats, seafood, poultry this time. Milk is now very available, but still subject to limits (2 gallons). There was even a limited supply of TP. Store was busier than normal for mid day on a Wednesday, but there were no checkout lines.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:06 pm

Going to the grocery store. Though delivery is fine for many things, I like to pick my produce, meat and seafood myself. Costco was amazing today. I've never parked so close or seen the store so empty. They were out of very few things (mostly cleaning stuff). I am trying to limit my trips to the store though, use wipes on the cart, hand sanitizer on my way out, not touch cash, etc.

Though delivery eliminates some risks, there were people around while your order was collected, the delivery person touched it, etc. so it isn't risk free.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:11 pm

Been using a delivery service for a solid 1-2 years now. So much faster and simpler than shopping in person.

bck63

Post by bck63 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:37 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
totallynotsure wrote:
Still going.
Didi you mail it to him? Or hand deliver it? If the latter, tell your adult son to get his own toilet paper. Social distancing brings down the infection rate. We're seeing it begin to work in New York and Westchester.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:47 pm

Today's experience.

Went into Fry's today to pickup a Rx. Folks were sparse. Service quick. Junk 1 ply toilet paper limit 1 pack. Bought one 48 roll overpriced at 14 bucks.

USPS to pick up a box. They had put strips of wide tape down on the floors so folks were spaced 6 feet apart. More tape in front of the windows to keep distance from postal window clerks. Folks had difficulty complying.

Notice more than a few strange looks, some hostile it seemed. . or fear?, since I had a N95 mask and latex gloves on. Only a few others had masks as well. Why nobody else is using these things is curious to me. Don't know why they are not being cautious.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

mediahound

Post by mediahound » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:49 pm

Notice more than a few strange looks, some hostile it seemed. . or fear?, since I had a N95 mask and latex gloves on. Only a few others had masks as well. Why nobody else is using these things is curious to me. Don't know why they are not being cautious.
In certain parts of Asia, everyone is now REQUIRED to wear a mask when going out. This eliminates any stigma since everyone has one on.

Steve K

Post by Steve K » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:05 pm

Still going, keep distance as others are. No issues.

Geologist

Post by Geologist » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:07 pm

I live in a relatively small town. There is no delivery. Therefore, I still go to the grocery store. I try to pick times when they are less busy.

vveat

Post by vveat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:44 pm

We had stocked up well end of February on staples. I did a quick run for greens and veggies last Thursday to the local supermarket but was (1) annoyed that the person manning the self-checkout insisted on helping me; (2) flabbergasted at the prices, I am not following individual prices, but I did have a sense that a cart of veggies and one box of cat food would normally be around $100, I paid $220.

I looked up Amazon Fresh as an option but never see any open slots. A couple of things we had forgotten (sugar and sardines) just got off regular Amazon delivery. We should be fine for a week and then will need to do something again for greens and dairy. Or do without.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:55 pm

I was shopping once a week for several people in the neighborhood. It was the scariest part of my week, but we all needed produce and milk, so I was taking one for the team.

Next door neighbor was sick, got well, and is now out of quarantine, so she’s happily taking over shopping duties for everyone.

BTW, neighbor says “don’t get it. It’s nasty.” She didn’t end up in the hospital, but was sick enough that we were all very worried for several days.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

iasw

Post by iasw » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:58 pm

mouses wrote:
ADAMNOGGI wrote:

It probably depends how far east/west the person lives within a particular time zone. Also, how far north/south. If someone is on a western edge of their time zone, their sunrise time will be later than those on the eastern edge

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:09 pm

Until recently I used Fresh Direct, but their spots have been impossible to get.
I tried Wegman's through instacart and ended up paying $70 for about $40 worth of groceries
(ordered over $200 and gave a $15 tip, plus $9 service charge and $6 delivery charge),
I was expecting 4 -5 bags of groceries and the guy handed me ONE.
I felt totally ripped off.

I did better when ordering from Fairway- I was told right away what they were low on
and offered several alternatives. I ended up getting 85% of what I ordered.

Would like to give wegman's another chance but I am just so pissed off at their poor
response to my complaint (contrary to their highly rated service).

ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:19 pm

Instacart for us.

We stocked up at Sam's Club in early February with a plan to go into 3 months of home isolation if it came to that, so we don't need too much, but we are trying to keep that 3 months of supplies current. (And the 3 months would be eating a lot of boring stuff, like just pure sustenance.)

I completely underestimated how much active yeast we would need to make our own bread, pizza dough, and bagels. And it seems like everywhere local to me is wiped out of yeast. Never would have guessed that could happen.

longterm100

Post by longterm100 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:23 pm

Supermarket as little as possible. Online delivery only brings a fraction of the things we order.

When I go to the supermarket I get funny looks. I wear a N95 mask and sealed face googles as well as gloves.

Most people aren’t wearing gloves and only one person was wearing a mask the last time I went.

When I get home I remove all clothing ASAP and put in the washing machine. Anything with plastic wrapping I wipe down with antibacterial wipes.

So far so good. There is no social distancing going on at the supermarkets near me. Good luck to everyone in them.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:16 pm

ADAMNOGGI wrote:
JoeRetire wrote:
totallynotsure wrote:
Still going.
A small locally owned chain very beloved in this area, announced its senior hour would start at 5 A.M. :confused

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:25 pm

Went to a mostly empty and well stocked Costco this afternoon. Also ordered some things online from Target last night that were delivered this morning. At checkout there was an offer for four free weeks of Shipt.

ugaDAWGS09

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:49 pm

I work as a pharmacist in a grocery store 12 hours a day so there is no avoiding the daily risks. I try to wash my hands as much as possible and we clean the pharmacy 4 times a day. I have no choice just got to be careful as possible.

walnut

Post by walnut » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:36 pm

My first job...high school...1950...small town grocery store. Took telephone orders, filled baskets in the back room and late afternoon loaded up a 1938 Dodge delivery truck and drove around town leaving groceries on back porches. People stopped in to pay their bills. Village "squire" would pay for a few hardship accounts. Remember a mixup when owner sorted things out by how thick we had sliced the bacon, e.g.#2. This business model worked!

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:42 pm

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:49 pm
I work as a pharmacist in a grocery store 12 hours a day so there is no avoiding the daily risks. I try to wash my hands as much as possible and we clean the pharmacy 4 times a day. I have no choice just got to be careful as possible.
In case it hasn't been said enough, Thank you!
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:01 pm

Neither. I haven't been able to get any groceries delivered for weeks, from either Instacart, Wal-Mart, or Amazon fresh. There are never any delivery times available, even up to 1 month out.

My husband still goes to the store since we have no choice in order to get food. I wish he didn't have to. We are both immuno-compromised.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:19 am

For those out there considering to get food, consider offsetting you visits to avoid payday. It will likely see the highest crowds and the next batch of hoarding. Stay safe out there.

snowox

Post by snowox » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:47 am

I go every two days but make sure I am there when the store first opens and am first one in. There is no line and hardly anyone in the store. I wear gloves and a mask because I dont care if people think I look stupid. But pretty much I dont get within anywhere near 6' of anyone and with the gloves (which I spray) and the mask , even at checkout I am back far enough. I make sure I dont touch my face and as soon as I get home I wash my hands etc..I know not a 100% proof but with a larger family doing best I can do.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:04 am

Rob5TCP wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:09 pm
Until recently I used Fresh Direct, but their spots have been impossible to get.
I tried Wegman's through instacart and ended up paying $70 for about $40 worth of groceries
(ordered over $200 and gave a $15 tip, plus $9 service charge and $6 delivery charge),
I was expecting 4 -5 bags of groceries and the guy handed me ONE.
I felt totally ripped off.

I did better when ordering from Fairway- I was told right away what they were low on
and offered several alternatives. I ended up getting 85% of what I ordered.

Would like to give wegman's another chance but I am just so pissed off at their poor
response to my complaint (contrary to their highly rated service).
I have been using Instacart at Wegmans since well before this time. Something sounds off here? I gather you “ordered” $200 worth of groceries but they only fulfilled about $40 worth, and you paid another $30 in tips and fees?

So a couple of things - one, I don’t do delivery because even when delivery is advertised as “only $3.99” or even “free” there is still the service fee and tip. But I can pick up without ever leaving my car which some people probably can’t. Two - your Instacart shopper should be chatting with you while shopping. You can then tell them directly for each item they are having trouble getting what an acceptable range of alternatives is. We are having success with this even though right now you have to order a week in advance and probably 50% of your order is “out of stock” by chatting with the shopper in real time, we get acceptable replacements and thus get ~90% of our order filled.

Lastly, if you have an issue you need to complain to Instacart, not Wegmans. In the past, prior to things getting crazy - they immediately refunded anything and everything I complained about - whether it was because the shopper picked the wrong kind of cheese or because they did a poor job picking produce. I doubt they are being quite so generous now, but Instacart should be your point of contact.

Old Sage(brush)

Post by Old Sage(brush) » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:36 am

We are all in this together, and having a sense of community is critical, that is, how our activities impact not just our families but others too. Perhaps that’s something good that can come out of this because it’s true not just for this virus but other issues the global community faces such as climate change. Wishing everyone well.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:08 am

My own unverified opinion is that bleach kills nasty germs and viruses. I mix this with a cleaner I got from Dollar Tree store and spray it on surfaces and then wipe it down with paper Towels. I could not find bleach at my local grocery store so I decided to go to Home Depot at 6:00 a.m. this morning. They had some paper towels and bleach.

I also bought some potting soil as I want to plant some seeds indoors. There was virtually no one there. Then I went to my local supermarket - senior hour. They were only allowing in a certain number of people at a time. I observed that there was no toilet paper. Fortunately I do not need any. Recently I took a gardening course and I want to do the practical now. I bought a few pans to cook the soil - apparently half an hour at 180 degrees will kill the bugs! I also bought some more seeds to plant. Rereading my gardening manuals and planning for spring is keeping me sane.

It was easy to keep my distance from everyone. Some people were wearing masks and looked a little stressed. To me the people who work in the grocery stores are some of the heroes during this pandemic.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:14 am

halfnine wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:19 am
For those out there considering to get food, consider offsetting you visits to avoid payday. It will likely see the highest crowds and the next batch of hoarding. Stay safe out there.
Good advice!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:14 am

I removed a contentious interchange. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
This is a moderated forum. We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones.

At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:22 am

Been going once per week.

Dave

ADAMNOGGI

Post by ADAMNOGGI » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:26 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:48 am
ADAMNOGGI wrote:
JoeRetire wrote:
totallynotsure wrote:
Still going.
The "Senior Hours" at our market were 5:30 - 7:00 am. They did it this way, so that the store has been freshly cleaned, sanitized, and the shelves filled.

Perhaps that doesn't work for everyone, and perhaps the seniors who can't or won't drive those hours can get a family member to take them and wait outside. Personally, I'm grateful for it and choose not to complain about a little inconvenience.
Obviously your choice of not complaining is indicative of your strong character.

During my career we realized during times of great and minor stresses, joking and complaining provided relief. Still performed duty though. To each his own.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:30 am

DW and I are seniors and high risk so we have started getting home delivery of groceries from Publix. First time this week. I ordered one day and got them the next day. Other supermarket we shop had a week delay. Overall cost was about 20 to 25% higher but that was much better than risking exposure to the virus

InvestingGeek

Post by InvestingGeek » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:35 am

tcassette wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:33 am
For those who are going to the stores, you should be cognizant of possibly contaminated surfaces. Carts and food items themselves are the obvious things. However, there is a slight chance that the plastic bag supply at checkout could be contaminated, and even at the self-checkout there is a hazard you may not have thought about.

A few weeks ago, I was waiting in line to checkout. The woman ahead of me in line took out her debit card preparing to pay, and promptly coughed all over the card in her hand before inserting it into card reader. and punching in her PIN. :oops: I went ahead and paid for my order with my credit card, but I cleaned if off afterwards with alcohol after realizing that whatever was on her card was now probably on mine. I guess reading about how long a virus can survive on hard surfaces like plastic cards and readers made me very cautious.
Yes, I've seen this too. I've got a contactless credit card (Chase Freedom for those interesdted) so I just need to wave it close to the reader when I pay. I also use my phone to do this nowadays - easier to clean the phone later since I touched it with gloved hands than cleaning the wallet and cards.

MnD

Post by MnD » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:15 am

Been going weekly but now not going for two weeks (at least).
Pickup curbside service at King Soopers (Krogers) was non-functional when I checked a couple days ago.
I'm not going to use up a delivery or pickup slot for "wants" when there are so many with needs.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.