Are you still going to the grocery store or using a delivery service? Which?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
totallynotsure

Post by totallynotsure »

agbp

Re: Are you still going to the grocery store or using a delivery service? Which?

Post by agbp »

Curbside pickup for now. We haven’t been in a store for nearly 2 weeks.
GerryL

Re: Are you still going to the grocery store or using a delivery service? Which?

Post by GerryL »

I went to store(s) today for first time in 10+ days. Probably have enough fresh food (veg, fruit, dairy) to carry me another 10-14 days. Now that I have seen how well my regular grocery store is stocking perishables, I may consider their pickup service, which is free for the time being.

BTW, noticed while in the store that the folks doing the delivery/pickup shopping were not wearing gloves.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

totallynotsure wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:00 am Are you still going to the grocery store or using a delivery service? Which?
Instacart
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

Never previously used delivery or curbside until last Friday when Instacart delivered some items from Krogers. I was somewhat disappointed with the service. Individual delivering items said that his wife usually did it but she was home with sick Mom. Several items meat items that I ordered that were on sale as well as a couple of other non-meat items were not in the order, including bread. The delivery guy indicated that they were not available. Apparently they do the shopping too, not just the delivery.

I may try curbside or go in to the store early during the senior hour next time, likely early next week. Spouse managed to get a loaf of bread at a driveup window at local bakery. I did manage to procure a box of nitrile gloves that we take with us now should a need arise.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

totallynotsure wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:00 am Are you still going to the grocery store or using a delivery service? Which?
delivery services -- we have used WF (amazon), instacart (BJs and grocery store), drizly (liquor!). Havent gone to stores in almost 2 weeks now. Happy to pay a premium, for someone else to do it for me during these times.
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

I went yesterday during early morning 60+/medical condition hour. Some of the local stores that did curbside have suspended it because their staff are so slammed or have dates that are weeks out.

No paper products, almost no chicken (other than huge 15 lb sacks of fresh chicken tenders that I have never seen there before), almost no flour, but most everything else was fine.
yohac

Post by yohac »

Still going myself during senior hours, which aren't enforced and are largely ignored. Some shortages, which vary by store. Menards (Midwest home supply store) somehow still has TP and cleaning supplies.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Grocery store. Before this, my Walmart was very clean, now its cleaner. I compare this to two Krogers I visited just before the Governor told us to isolate, neither had wipes for the carts and they both had run out of hand sanitizer for their cashiers. I'd rather reduce the number of hands other than mine touching the items and then use self checkout which I use to loath. I use to go every day to the store on my way to or from the gym, now its every five days when I need kitty litter. I use to usually pay with cash, now a credit card.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
dewey

Post by dewey »

I go as needed but less than before. I was at Costco yesterday and they developed a slick system for admittance that kept low numbers in the store at any time and assured very short check out lines, if any. We used to usually go together but for now reducing risk by sending just me.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
GlennK

Post by GlennK »

Still shopping personally at the stores. I just prefer to look over the produce and meats and pick what looks best to me. Once back in my vehicle, I use hand sanitizer and then wash with soap and water once home.

Of course, I am still playing tennis with a group of guys so I have not quite isolated myself to the degree others have.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Still going.
The local markets have set aside early-morning solely for "seniors". I used that yesterday to get some toilet paper for my son's family.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
burt

Post by burt »

Our grocery stores are a mess. Walmart and Meijer super centers located in a small town in the Mid-West.
Shelves are empty and the parking lots are full. Forget social distancing.
On-Line ordering with delivery service is broken.

Thank goodness for small independent restaurants which have carry out.
I'll remember them after this is over.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Started filling up my pantry and freezer in January so I don't really need anything except for things like milk and fresh produce and a few things I did not think of. I had a Whole Foods delivery through Amazon last week for around $35, I was able to place that order in the morning and get it delivered in the evening. That went fine and I got about 90% of what I ordered.

On Monday I looked at Kroger and there were no appointments available for curbside pickup and the first delivery appointment through Instacart I could get was five days later on Saturday. I entered an order for Saturday and once the order is accepted you can modify the order until they start working on it and I have added two things to it.

We have not left our house except to walk around our subdivision in almost two weeks now.
mouses

Post by mouses »

I used to do Stop&Shop pickup long before this started. They stopped that, they say so the employees can instead do stocking. Delivery is scheduling no sooner than two weeks. I don't know how much of an order delivery fills.

Instacart used to find about 2/3 of an order but within the last day instead of same day delivery suddenly they are not scheduling any closer than 5-6 days.

The senior hour at Stop&Shop is reportedly a zoo, packed and shelves empty.

I made one foray out this week to a local market. They had most everything or reasonable substitutes except shelves were bare of paper products, any sort of cleaning supplies, and bottled water. I am not sure why laundry detergent and fabric softener were cleaned out, any guesses?
Last edited by mouses on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

We began to order and pick-up curbside in the past week at a national chain, Kroger's. We have done so twice. The first time approximately 20% of the items were not available though we had allowed substitutions for specific brands. The second time, approximately 50% of the items were unavailable, including ones like ground beef and other protein-based items. Produce is readily available.
The concept is good, but the supply chain is not keeping up. As seniors, we can go for the early shopping hour but have driven by stores and found them slammed. For the moment, we decided to go to Costco, wearing masks and gloves, and with only one of us entering the store. We have decided that we will check to see about supplies and order if we can but will keep a list and go once a week or less ourselves if current conditions stay the same.
Similarly, we are beginning to feel shortages of other items that are more commonly used in the warmer months, things such as oil and filters for lawn mowers. We will order these items on line or follow the once a week or less routine at a single store providing the largest number of items.
We are in mid-to-late 70's and live in an urban area that is not currently severely impacted. We are making our decisions solely based on what we believe is coming and on medical opinions. We do not want to be influenced by divergent views and are acting conceptually on two things: 1. Better to be safe than sorry; 2. Pray as if all depends on God, act as if all depends on you. That is our IPS.

Tim
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Still going once a week; limited to absolute needs. Pickup is a two week lead time so not an option for us except for a few predictable things.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

We have been going to our local grocery store once per week. It is missing about 20% of the items it normally has, but there is still plenty of food available. The produce aisle has everything that is normally there.

Drove by Costco on Monday morning about 30 minutes after it opened and there were about 75 people waiting in line outside in heavy rain. Decided to go to our grocery store instead.
coupleofcents

Post by coupleofcents »

GlennK wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:07 am Still shopping personally at the stores. I just prefer to look over the produce and meats and pick what looks best to me. Once back in my vehicle, I use hand sanitizer and then wash with soap and water once home.

Of course, I am still playing tennis with a group of guys so I have not quite isolated myself to the degree others have.
Same here.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Went yesterday for the first time in two weeks. It was a pleasant experience. The shelves were thin in lots of places but other than toilet paper, there was still something to be had if you weren't real brand choosy. I made sure to avoid touching my face during my time in the store. When I got my stuff loaded into the car I sanitized my hands before driving home. Once all the groceries are put away, I washed hands with soap and water along with the counter where I set the groceries. Since the virus lives only a couple hours on most surfaces, I didn't use the groceries until this morning. I'm good to go for another two weeks.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Actually, by picking the right times, I can control my social distancing better by shopping at the store, than doing pickup.

Don't pass someone else in an aisle, self checkout, sanitize hands after, etc.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Delivery now. Just got deliveries from WM yesterday. I told them in special instructions to leave bags on front steps, ring doorbell twice. I then brought everything in, wiped it down, then washed my hands. Not a huge fan of Walmart, but they were able to deliver one day after I placed the order, and they had mostly everything.
28fe6

Post by 28fe6 »

I've had Walmart Unlimited since last year. Various things have been sold out and there have been days its not available but it's generally been working. Delivery drivers started almost expecting me to have them leave the groceries at the street, but so far I have them bring them to the door as normal.
mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn »

Instacart. $99 for free delivery (1 year) from several grocery stores (and a pharmacy). We've used it twice already saving around $18 on delivery and I use it to send groceries to my elderly parents in another city. It'll easily pay for itself over the next few months. One thing to keep in mind is it is best to available while your groceries are being shopped via computer or smart phone because they likely won't have specifically everything you've requested. The app makes it easy to chat with the shopper/delivery person to select options or delete things. We have a full glass storm door so when I ordered wine I was able to hold my license to the door to get scanned. I recommend it.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I'm experimenting with InstaCart deliveries from a couple of local supermarkets. I haven't really got the hang of it yet so can't really say. I'm slightly overwhelmed with the instant-message socializing involved because InstaCart forces you to pick one particular brand--and a substitute that usually isn't really the cleverest. So my two experiences so far have been getting ten pings on my phone from the shopper asking if I'm OK with Food Club canned tomatoes instead of Del Monte, and I want to scream "Food Club is what I always get, but that wasn't shown as a choice!"

And the search feature sucks, at least for the grocery stores I've tried. I can type the exact name, or key parts of the exact name, exactly right, and not have it show up in "search by best match," yet have it show up when I change it to "unit price: low first." I've tested by copying and pasting the exact name exactly as they display it themselves and still not have it show under "best match."

I'm also flummoxed by rapid changes in available delivery times from same day, to six days off, to "delivery not available."

I'm definitely in "beggars can't be chooser" mode so I'm trying not to ignore all of the problems with prices. It's a lot more expensive, not only because they don't match store prices (and say so), but also because of limited availability of different product sizes... and a pile-up of fees when you actually check out... and angst over how much to tip. And a lavishly-rounded-up hold on the credit card.

And when I search on "tips on using InstaCart" all I get are article on how much to tip. And if I search for "InstaCart tricks and secrets" all I get are tips on how to be an InstaCart shopper.

Overall I'm grudgingly pleased, we can survive on having everything delivered via InstaCart but it is definitely Something To Complain About. Honestly hope it continues to be available as demand rises.

So, yeah, any words of wisdom would be welcome.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

We're not going to the grocery, as we're trying to reduce risk as much as we can. We're working from home now, school is closed, so why introduce another risk?

The curbside pickup groceries are booked solid here. It's almost impossible to reserve a slot.

We've had great luck with Instacart delivery from Aldi. There's only a two day backlog here, so it's easy to plan around. Ask a friend that uses Instacart for a referral code, and you'll both get $10 off your next orders.

Instacart does seem to mark up prices about 10%. They also charge a service fee of 5%, a delivery fee of $3.99, and a recommended 5% tip, so you'll be paying a premium.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Instacart has been great for groceries for my age 80+ parents with health/mobility issues. The shoppers are very nice and caring. The lack of availability of certain items and the store crowd behavior has been frustrating for Instacart shoppers. One told my mom she had a package of paper towels for my mom’s order in the carriage, went around the corner to grab one last item and came back to find someone had swiped the paper towels from the carriage. My mom is tipping extra as “hazard pay”.
mouses

Post by mouses »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:57 am I'm experimenting with InstaCart deliveries from a couple of local supermarkets. I haven't really got the hang of it yet so can't really say. I'm slightly overwhelmed with the instant-message socializing involved because InstaCart forces you to pick one particular brand--and a substitute that usually isn't really the cleverest. So my two experiences so far have been getting ten pings on my phone from the shopper asking if I'm OK with Food Club canned tomatoes instead of Del Monte, and I want to scream "Food Club is what I always get, but that wasn't shown as a choice!"

And the search feature sucks, at least for the grocery stores I've tried. I can type the exact name, or key parts of the exact name, exactly right, and not have it show up in "search by best match," yet have it show up when I change it to "unit price: low first." I've tested by copying and pasting the exact name exactly as they display it themselves and still not have it show under "best match."
Search is buggy. I try searching on just one word if the actual name doesn't turn up an item.

Also it would be nice if they didn't classify veggie burgers, etc. as Meat.

With substitutions, look closely and you will find a search thing to use if you don't like the substitutions it provides. Also you can leave a message for your shopper.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Hockey10 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:51 am We have been going to our local grocery store once per week. It is missing about 20% of the items it normally has, but there is still plenty of food available. The produce aisle has everything that is normally there.

Drove by Costco on Monday morning about 30 minutes after it opened and there were about 75 people waiting in line outside in heavy rain. Decided to go to our grocery store instead.
+1
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

We are limiting our trips as much as possible, buying more non-perishables than normal. Going in the afternoon. I live in area with a lot of older folks and the "seniors-only" hours are a circus.
Patzer

Post by Patzer »

I go to the grocery store wearing a mask and gloves every 2 weeks when the store opens first thing in the morning.
So far my area is not too hard hit.
I have about 6 weeks of supplies (12 pound bag of rice, canned veg, etc.) that I can tap into if things get really bad.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

abner kravitz wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 am We are limiting our trips as much as possible, buying more non-perishables than normal. Going in the afternoon. I live in area with a lot of older folks and the "seniors-only" hours are a circus.
Me too. Much More crowded than at other times. I think I will go mid afternoon in future. Less crowds.

Thank those working - it is nice to bring a smile to those who are working.
tcassette

Post by tcassette »

For those who are going to the stores, you should be cognizant of possibly contaminated surfaces. Carts and food items themselves are the obvious things. However, there is a slight chance that the plastic bag supply at checkout could be contaminated, and even at the self-checkout there is a hazard you may not have thought about.

A few weeks ago, I was waiting in line to checkout. The woman ahead of me in line took out her debit card preparing to pay, and promptly coughed all over the card in her hand before inserting it into card reader. and punching in her PIN. :oops: I went ahead and paid for my order with my credit card, but I cleaned if off afterwards with alcohol after realizing that whatever was on her card was now probably on mine. I guess reading about how long a virus can survive on hard surfaces like plastic cards and readers made me very cautious.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Went to the store 10 days ago and very intentionally purchased enough food to last ~2 months. We can do without fresh produce until I feel comfortable going again.
ADAMNOGGI

Post by ADAMNOGGI »

JoeRetire wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:23 am
Still going.
The local markets have set aside early-morning solely for "seniors". I used that yesterday to get some toilet paper for my son's family.
Early morning hours OK, but some planners forgot many seniors don't drive during hours of darkness. Our local Giant set hours for seniors 0630 Am until 0800 (sunrise at 0730)
Some planners just load and fire with no assessment of effect. :wink:
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

ADAMNOGGI wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:51 am
JoeRetire wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:23 am
Still going.
Early morning hours OK, but some planners forgot many seniors don't drive during hours of darkness. Our local Giant set hours for seniors 0630 Am until 0800 (sunrise at 0730)
Then they should figure something else out, like having someone else go shopping for them. It is great that stores have prioritized those in the highest risk category, but they still have to run a business.
peppers

Post by peppers »

We hit the grocery store in the early a.m. Not many customers but all of the employee's were wearing gloves and wiping down shelves before stocking any items. We had on our PPE and wound our way through the aisles. Navigating was a little challenging because of the pallets and pallets and pallets full of bottled water. Paper products were limited to one per customer. Plenty of fresh veggies and fruits, canned goods and detergents.

On the way home the Starbucks drive thru was bumper to bumper to bumper extending well into an adjacent parking lot. :D
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
researcher

Post by researcher »

tcassette wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:33 am For those who are going to the stores, you should be cognizant of possibly contaminated surfaces. Carts and food items themselves are the obvious things. However, there is a slight chance that the plastic bag supply at checkout could be contaminated
How exactly is this any different than curbside delivery?

The employees collecting your groceries can be using contaminated carts.
Employees (possible carriers) are stocking/handling your food items.
Multiple people handling the bags your groceries go into.
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

Regular shopping, but only when necessary. Not popping over to the grocery store just to pick up one thing.

Not to make light of the situation, but when I was updating my expenses spreadsheet yesterday, I saw how little money was flowing out this month and that was nice. (Working from home and not going anywhere after work saves a lot of gas money).
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Dottie57 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:24 am Thank those working - it is nice to bring a smile to those who are working.
+100. The store workers are keeping calm but look tired. Very grateful to all who are providing essential services (like grocery stores).
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

I tried curb-side p/u for the first time. 75% of the items were out of stock when I got there and they were the most important items (meat/poultry/fresh fruit and veg, frozen fruit etc). They do not provide any info ahead of the p/u and are not allowing substitutions at this time. I went into the store the next morning during the 6 to 7 AM hours for those of us over 60. They had all the items that were out of stock the day before but they did not have a lot of them so I'm not sure what happened later in the day. I'm only buying enough for 7 to 10 days because I saw a week ago the empty shelves when people buy months worth of food. The employees were really hustling. So glad for them.
squirm

Post by squirm »

I went yesterday. What I found was to go to the local/chain market by a Costco. Very few people, while everyone else was at Costco climbing over each other. I'll pay more, but oh well, much less stress too. I figure there's probably a tenth of the people traffic compared to a Costco, so there's a 90% less exposure chance to the virus. I also thanked the lady at the checkout for being there. As I drove by the Costco, every person coming out had one brick of toilet paper in their cart. I guess the TP craze is still on.

I use the wipes on my hands and cart, and make sure I don't touch my face. I take the car we rarely use so after a few days anything in that is dead. I change and wash when I get home. Nobody else goes with me, unlike before. Sounds reasonable I think.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

The delivery services are overwhelmed in many areas, including here. I prefer to leave that available for those who need it.

I do try to buy for at least 10 days each time I go, as a means of limiting contact.
squirm

Post by squirm »

tcassette wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:33 am For those who are going to the stores, you should be cognizant of possibly contaminated surfaces. Carts and food items themselves are the obvious things. However, there is a slight chance that the plastic bag supply at checkout could be contaminated, and even at the self-checkout there is a hazard you may not have thought about.

A few weeks ago, I was waiting in line to checkout. The woman ahead of me in line took out her debit card preparing to pay, and promptly coughed all over the card in her hand before inserting it into card reader. and punching in her PIN. :oops: I went ahead and paid for my order with my credit card, but I cleaned if off afterwards with alcohol after realizing that whatever was on her card was now probably on mine. I guess reading about how long a virus can survive on hard surfaces like plastic cards and readers made me very cautious.
I thought the same thing. I don't bring my wallet in, just a credit card. Then I just leave the card in my car. I also spray the bottom of my shoes with disinfectant when I get home and let that sit for an hour.

When I was at the Wally World, I also avoid as many people as possible, it was sorta like playing dodge ball in the store.
mouses

Post by mouses »

ADAMNOGGI wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:51 am
Are you in some weird time zone? It gets light here about 6:30am and some webbing says that's true local time across the USA.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

We were using curbside pickup before all this for the sheer convenience, so that’s one thing that hasn’t changed for us.
There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your Expected Returns
bryansmile

Post by bryansmile »

Mitchell777 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:15 am I tried curb-side p/u for the first time. 75% of the items were out of stock when I got there and they were the most important items (meat/poultry/fresh fruit and veg, frozen fruit etc). They do not provide any info ahead of the p/u and are not allowing substitutions at this time. I went into the store the next morning during the 6 to 7 AM hours for those of us over 60. They had all the items that were out of stock the day before but they did not have a lot of them so I'm not sure what happened later in the day. I'm only buying enough for 7 to 10 days because I saw a week ago the empty shelves when people buy months worth of food. The employees were really hustling. So glad for them.
I was concerned my weekday 5pm shopper would find many items out of stock, so I changed my Costco order to a weekend morning delivery.
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Still going as usual, but going earlier in the morning, keeping more distance from other people, and more careful not to touch face until hands are washed. I am aware that all of the packages may be contaminated so if I need to touch them within 3 days I wash my hands after touching.

I am generally careful about germs anyway, so just kicking it up a notch.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
MrBeaver

Post by MrBeaver »

I'm somewhat surprised I haven't heard of any grocery chains explicitly closing their business to the public and partnering with Instacart to go go pickup/delivery only, temporarily eating the small fee for pickup service and still charging for delivery.

This seems like a win-win:
  • Stores can say they are limiting the number of people with access to the store from hundreds per day to tens per day: less risk of transmission even on food packaging.
  • Instacart gets new customers used to the service
ivyhedge

Post by ivyhedge »

We ran low on fruits and vegetables, as well as a few medium term staples that hadn't been refreshed for 16 days.

Instacart for Costco has been useless for the past week, so we selected a Costco 15+ miles from home (we live inside a city, with a constantly packed Costco 2 miles from us) and arrived 45 minutes before closing after monitoring the store's business all day.

In so doing, we understood that:

1) low stock was possible and
2) the store could be more contaminated than earlier in the day.

We were surprisingly wrong about item one - the location was nearly fully stocked, with a sign outside warning that only six things were low/absent (each had a backup). And the store was almost empty.

Was it a comfortable experience? Not really. But it was the best we could achieve under the circumstances.
Polymath.