Laptop Replacement Battery

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
criticalmass

Laptop Replacement Battery

Post by criticalmass » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:22 pm

I have a Dell Laptop (lower end inspiron series), 6 years old that needs a new battery. Not because it slowly lost life, but because one day it decided it was done and the computer won't use it at all---it has a flashing light and error message upon every boot.

Despite its age, the computer has not been used much at all and works great with the latest Windows 10 patches. I would like to use it as a media player with my TV so I would like to replace the battery to ensure it isn't harmed with our less-than-perfect power company. Unfortunately the Dell website doesn't list the same battery as available. Dell support said they could obtain the battery, but no guarantee it isn't "remanufactured" for $139+. That is not cost effective relative to the new price of this computer.

The battery model printed on the battery is Dell J1KND.
Dell support says the replacement battery should be Dell GK2X6. The internet lists 10+ more model numbers that are "compatible." Some appear to have more cells/life while maintaining physical size/spec compatibility.

There are batteries available from Amazon and elsewhere with these model numbers for about $30-50, but most are third party. I'm very cautious about ordering a no-name LiPo battery for safety reasons.

Does anyone have suggestions on what battery source to use? Has anyone been in the similar situation? Dell's website offers a lot of batteries, but not these.

fwellimort

Re: Laptop Replacement Battery

Post by fwellimort » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:35 pm

I would go by reviews for laptop replacement batteries.

I had third party laptop battery replacements in the past. If it fits, it's generally fine. But don't expect the same battery life as the original battery no matter how much the battery descriptions claim.
Even if it claims to be OEM, I really wouldn't trust the batteries being 'OEM'.

Anyways, the ones I found with credible reviews were:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-J1 ... 3929570934
https://www.amazon.com/DTK-Laptop-Batte ... merReviews
https://www.amazon.com/NinjaBatt-Batter ... merReviews

There are definitely cheaper options (and I'm sure you saw them too) that work just as well but these seem to have the most reviews (in a positive manner).
Just make sure your Dell model is supported in the list before purchasing.

Anyways, some cheaper options in Ebay that are probably just as fine if not the same in my opinion:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/J1KND-N4010-Ba ... ition=1000
https://www.ebay.com/itm/48WH-J1KND-Bat ... SwIcpdZhQ-

My personal experience in the past was Ebay was pretty damn reliable for battery replacements and laptop keyboard replacements. Your mileage of course might differ. Just make sure the battery FITS your model first (see if your Dell laptop model is in the description). And ya, replacements are always much cheaper online. I recall Dell requested $275 for a battery my brother bought on Amazon for $42 and the laptop worked perfectly fine afterwards.
Last edited by fwellimort on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:46 pm

Both of those battery numbers are avail at NewEgg Electronics. The original battery has a higher capacity than the newer replacement one quoted by Dell.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:46 am

My older Dell laptop is being used as a media center, its plugged in with the battery being doa for almost 4 years. I've used it daily this way without any issue.

yohac

Post by yohac » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:35 am

criticalmass wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:22 pm
I'm very cautious about ordering a no-name LiPo battery for safety reasons.
Also because it may not work at all. Not sure if this applies to your model but modern laptops don't let you swap batteries from other brands, even if they have the same form factor. If you put an HP battery into a Dell laptop, it may run when it's plugged in, but it won't charge the battery.

GeMoney

Post by GeMoney » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:13 am

I've purchased two inexpensive non-OEM laptop replacement batteries on Ebay. One was for an extremely old Lenovo and another for a HP. Overall I would say it is fine for non-critical (i.e. used for work) occasional use. I don't necessarily believe the advertised battery capacity (mAh) as advertised but I don't have proof. If you can locate a non-OEM extended capacity replacement for a few dollars more than the regular capacity one it may be worth it as it may be more like the original OEM capacity. I did that for the HP and that one functions better. Please note that extended capacity batteries are often physically bigger than the OEM so it will stick out. It works for me as it functions more like a laptop stand.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:19 am

Dell laptops all have a four-digit model number, that's the number you need to make sure the battery is compatible.

For example I have a Dell Inspiron 17 7000 Series 2-in-1, but there are many models with that number. The actual model number of my laptop is Inspiron 7773. You can find this on a sticker, usually on the bottom of the computer and typically in too-small-to-read print.

BTW not sure if this works on older Dell computers, but at least with newer ones there's a Dell Power Manager (available on the support site or Windows app store) that you can use to configure custom charging thresholds, e.g., only charge to 80%, which will help improve long-term battery health, as batteries wear out/fail more quickly if frequently charged to 100% and left there. Better to do "shallow" charges between about 30% and 80%.