Is there a device to connect to a regular phone to make wireless calls?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CULater

Is there a device to connect to a regular phone to make wireless calls?

Post by CULater » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:47 pm

Our mother is confined in a nursing home under lockdown and I'd like to be able to provide her with a phone in her room. She is not able to use an ordinary cell phone for various reasons, but I was wondering if a wireless device of some sort could be hooked up to an ordinary desktop phone so she could use that to make calls on a wireless network. Do you know of such a thing that I could look into?
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

DaftInvestor

Re: Is there a device to connect to a regular phone to make wireless calls?

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:52 pm

So she can connect to wifi but not the cellular network? You don't need a desktop phone and device necessarily - you can get a cheap smartphone and set up wifi calling on it. Google "wi-fi calling".

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:57 pm

Any cellphone which connects to web via wifi can receive calls if someone was trying to get in touch.

Ive tried this before in a town which did not have cell towers but i was connected to the internet via wifi.

Try it

Also you mother could make calls via skype, touch a tone, google hang out as long as they have access to internet

Good luck

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:03 pm

Maybe something like one of these:

Invoxia NVX 200 review: Turn your iPhone into a desk phone
https://www.macworld.com/article/320965 ... phone.html

Link2Cell KX-PRD260W Digital Phone with Smartphone Integration and Answering Machine
https://www.amazon.com/Link2Cell-KX-PRD ... B00N3TKIRA
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:04 pm

I sorta had one ages ago. I basically disconnected the hone wiring at the junction to the outside phone line. I then had a box which tied into a wired VOIP(sp?) system. I would thing that such a system would still exist.

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:08 pm

I think the poster is asking for a regular (old fashioned) phone that can plug into a box that connects to a mobile/cellular network. I'm not aware of any means to do that.

prudent

Post by prudent » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:24 pm

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:28 pm

Old ordinary desktop phones, probably not unless modified by a geek. But Vtech and others have the capability to connect cordless/cellular. I do not use this so I really dont have details, but maybe worth a look.

https://www.vtechphones.com/design-tech ... ct-to-cell

yohac

Post by yohac » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:31 pm

Another possible option: http://www.cell2jack.com/

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:37 pm

Here's another device that lets you connect a plain old wired telephone to cell service.
https://www.att.com/buy/connected-devic ... black.html

gmc2017

Post by gmc2017 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:59 pm

Take a look at the Straight Talk Home Phone. It uses the Verizon network and works with a touchtone desk phone.

zbxb006

Post by zbxb006 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:59 pm

When you say 'wireless' I'm not sure if you mean WIFI or cell. If cell, then Consumer Cellular offers the device below. A regular phone plugs into it. It does require a Consumer cellular plan. Use one at my house connected to a cordless phone base with 5 cordless phones scattered around the house. Works with a regular old style dial phone too.

https://www.consumercellular.com/shoppi ... e/overview

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:42 pm

alex_686 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:04 pm
I sorta had one ages ago. I basically disconnected the hone wiring at the junction to the outside phone line. I then had a box which tied into a wired VOIP(sp?) system. I would thing that such a system would still exist.
OP asked about VOIP before see link: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=286735

maywood

Post by maywood » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:48 pm

This service sounds like exactly what you are looking for:

https://www.telecalmprotects.com/

You purchase one of the recommended desktop phones, plug into the Telecalm box and it operates over a cell network. Service costs $49/month.

I was a paralegal and we used this for a lady in a nursing home that my boss was guardian of. There's an app for the caregiver and the caregiver can manage a list of phone numbers that are allowed to call in and out, if you want to set it up that way.

Pax

Post by Pax » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:01 pm

I use this https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/

You need to get a free Google Voice number and use it with the device that connects to a WIFI or Wired Ethernet network to the INTERNET using Voice Over IP (VoIP) technology.

cacophony

Post by cacophony » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:24 pm

One solution would be to get the Ooma Telo Air + a regular landline phone to hook up to it.

I've used Ooma as my primary home phone for the last 7 years and it's been great.

GeMoney

Post by GeMoney » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:26 am

Another vote for the Google Voice/Polycom(Obihai) solution. If she only has access to wifi rather than ethernet, you'll need to also buy a wifi adapter for the device. Please note that it cannot dial 911 and will need a E911 service if you want that. I use this service https://www.gv911.com/ which is $12/year prepaid upfront.

jjface

Post by jjface » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:27 am

ooma or obihai

ooma is the least hassle setup but taxes and fees run $5-6 a month.

Obihai is cheapest (just e911 service at $1 a month) but needs a little more tech know how to setup and manage. Not a lot but more.

Both let you plug a regular phone into a wifi connection.

Personally I'd pick ooma.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:25 pm

zbxb006 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:59 pm
When you say 'wireless' I'm not sure if you mean WIFI or cell. If cell, then Consumer Cellular offers the device below. A regular phone plugs into it. It does require a Consumer cellular plan. Use one at my house connected to a cordless phone base with 5 cordless phones scattered around the house. Works with a regular old style dial phone too.

This is what I just ordered. It's a cellular "base" that you plug a regular phone into and works off the Consumer Cellular network, which I think is AT&T. If it works, it will be just what I'm looking for. The Straight Talk home phone looks like the same device (ZTE) and apparently works off Verizon.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:55 pm

CULater wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:25 pm
zbxb006 wrote:

This is what I just ordered. It's a cellular "base" that you plug a regular phone into and works off the Consumer Cellular network, which I think is AT&T. If it works, it will be just what I'm looking for. The Straight Talk home phone looks like the same device (ZTE) and apparently works off Verizon.
That's interesting, but will your mother be able to install it herself? Will the staff install it for her?

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:38 pm

Magicjack? (www.magicjack.com)

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:00 pm

CULater wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:47 pm
She is not able to use an ordinary cell phone for various reasons, but I was wondering if a wireless device of some sort could be hooked up to an ordinary desktop phone so she could use that to make calls on a wireless network. Do you know of such a thing that I could look into?
I don't know of any device to use an old analog phone on a wireless network.

Does the phone not work on the telephone line?

If she can't physically use a cell phone, can she use an Amazon Echo (hands free) or similar device?
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:06 pm

You say she can’t use a cell phone for “various reasons”. Is it because of lack of signal, is it because of rules there, is it because she is unable to physically or mentally, or something else? This will help inform the answers.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:07 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:55 pm
CULater wrote:
zbxb006 wrote:

That's interesting, but will your mother be able to install it herself? Will the staff install it for her?
It looks very simple. Plug the power cord for the cellular device into a wall outlet. Then plug a phone into it with the phone cord, same as if you were plugging it into a wall phone outlet. If the device has already been configured with a phone number then she should be able to just use her ordinary desktop phone as usual. She's in lockdown, so I can't go in to set it up but it should be a no-brainer for a staff member to do it. Really does the same thing as a cell phone but much easier for her to use and doesn't require charging.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:11 am

CULater wrote:
I have the Verizon version of this for some relatives who took it everywhere they went during retirement and now have it in their apartment in the assisted living home. They really like it.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:40 am

I agree that a cell phone is easiest for you, however it may not be the easiest for an older person . Part of the problem is that almost all
Hearing aids have a telecoil (Tcoil) which a regular hand set would detect and to respond to by transmitting the signal directly to the hearing aid.

Vonage works great for VOIP, and is under $10/month for the first year. About $40/month after that. Unfortunately, it requires a wired Ethernet.

Here is the way to do this, but it did not work for reliably in the nursing due to a weak WiFi connection there. It worked in my home, but not there.

To get a wired connection from wireless (WIFI) you need a device called a wireless bridge which is the reverse of your wireless router.
It takes the wifi signal and has a port where you can plug in an Ethernet cable.

My MIL could not get a phone installed in her room. I set the bridge plug Vonage up, and plugged an ATT princess phone that we kept from out Bell service days .

However, this worked fine in my home, but in the nursing home, the wifi signal was not good enough. It would work for a while, then drop, and I would have to reboot the bridge .