Chewy pet food delivery

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Swansea

Chewy pet food delivery

Post by Swansea » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:32 pm

They have posted that there will be delays in shipping. I normally get delivery around 2 to 3 days after ordering. Has anyone experienced delays recently, and if so, for how long?

MrSarcasm

Re: Chewy pet food delivery

Post by MrSarcasm » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:36 pm

I ordered last Friday, got this email today.
Just a quick update: We're doing everything we can to deliver your order within the next 3 days, while ensuring the safety of our team members.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. We hope all pet parents and their beloved pets stay safe.

Yours truly,
The Chewy Family

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:47 pm

I got an email today telling me to order my monthly recurring order sooner than normal due to shipping delays. I had stocked up so have one bag already but want to have enough on hand to avoid going to the pet store in person or even having to change foods (hard on dogs' GI systems). :happy

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:16 pm

Ours was delayed about 3 days.

Kelmscott

Post by Kelmscott » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:20 pm

Mine was delayed about 5 days and I only received a partial order. The rest is scheduled to ship next week because they're out of stock.

emoore

Post by emoore » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:24 pm

Mine was delayed a day or two

greenflamingo

Post by greenflamingo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:26 pm

I moved up the shipment by several weeks to be safe--it's been sitting in 'preparing to ship" status for a day, which is fine--we don't need it for probably 3 weeks.

High on my list of avoidable problems is my dog being obnoxious around the clock because she didn't get her crunches and cookies... :D

mega317

Post by mega317 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:23 pm

Mine came on time March 16. SoCal.

If Chewy is having delays that's concerning. We thought even though groceries are tough to get we would always have something to eat.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:34 pm

Mine usually arrives in 1 - 2 days - half of my order took over a week. Another item showed "Out of Stock" which I've never seen happen through the years I've used them.
I think folks who normally go to the store are now using Chewy and others might be stocking up more than they normally would.
I did get nice emails every couple of days apologizing for the delays.

Mako

Post by Mako » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:42 pm

I ordered today and they emailed me shortly after saying to expect delivery in 7-10 days.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:50 pm

7 to 10 days.

I ordered the usual month or so worth of dog food and stuff today, well before we are going to run out. We've been using them for years and get delivery in a day or two.

The site says, "A message about current events: Dear Pet Parents, Chewy is always here for you. Due to high demand, current delivery times are running considerably longer than usual on food and supplies. Stay well and thanks for choosing us."

The confirmation email says, "Update. We expect to ship most orders in 7 to 10 days"

It sounds to me as if they have the product, but the shipping department is swamped.

Our dog would rather eat pizza, tacos, mexican, italian, chinese, green beans, garlic toast... anything but beef. He really likes raw carrots and green beans. Go figure. He's half German and half Mexican. :) A 22# internet rescue.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:21 pm

We placed an order on Monday and received it on Sunday. We don’t fault them at all, we’re very pleased with Chewy.

justlearnin

Post by justlearnin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:30 pm

I'm pretty upset with Chewy right now. My dog is on a special diet that can only be ordered through prescription, it's all she eats. My order is auto fill. Got the regular msg last week that they would be shipping in two days unless I wanted to change the date. Got a msg the next day from the president of the company assuring patrons that in this difficult time they were going to take care of our pets. The next day got a msg saying that the food would be delivered late, allow 7-10 days. Got a msg late last night saying that my dogs food was unavailable, they didn't know when they could send her food! Did I want it still ordered. By last night I had about 4 days of food left. If I didn't answer they would cancel the order!

1st thing this a.m. called my local vet, they had a bag they could sell me. Phew. Are people hoarding dog food? If so, please quit. For some dogs this is their only diet. We have to be very careful as our dog is prone to pancreatitis and IBS, causing her to vomit and/or diarrhea.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:40 pm

It's not just Chewy. I use Petco Repeat Delivery and only one item out of yesterday's order has shipped. A second item is showing as pending shipment, but the remaining items are back ordered. Similar to justlearnin, it's the special food and supplements for the sickly cat that are on back order. I have plenty of regular food for the other cats, but this cat can't digest the regular food well.

Heidi1

Post by Heidi1 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:08 am

Received email yesterday there would be 7-10 day delay in shipping. Drove to Petsmart they are well stocked and have curb side pick up.

Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:42 am

I have an auto ship order with Chewy for prescription cat food for my old girl. I have an auto ship order that is now 10 days old that has not been dropped for shipping. Like others I recently received the Chewy messages about 'things being backed up' only after I had placed an order. Based on their messages I will be 4 days without any food before I saw my 1st auto ship order arrive, if it arrives as projected. Then the latest message said basically order more than you currently need because we might not be able to fill auto ship orders in the near future.

I scrambled to find her food locally and eventually was able to get a person who was tending the pet store animals to answer the phone and let me purchase the cat food needed. The food she needs is critical to her health and can not be substituted. My local area is on lock down so places that might carry her food are closed.

I have been a Chewy customer for a few years and have been greatly impressed with their reliability. For that reason it did not occur to me that prescription pet food orders (or any food orders) would become problematic, so I did not order extra. I guess that is my bad. I don't know when my now 2 Chewy food orders will be fulfilled since my 1st order still has not shipped after 10 days, but as long as something arrives in the next 27 days we will be OK. Their past performance has bought them a pass in my book but think they should have communicated much earlier the shipping delays that impact their customers.

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:49 am

I placed my order on Mar 18 and it arrived yesterday (Mar 24). My deliveries usually come within 1-2 days. I am fine with this...I think it reasonable to assume that most online vendors selling necessities such as pet food will not be on their normal schedule these days. I'm a loyal Chewy customer and am sure they are moving heaven and hell on their end to try to get things out as soon as possible.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:02 pm

Their usual delivery speed amazes me. I can order late Saturday, and will get Monday, Tuesday at the latest. I got the same warning. I think our last order took four business days.

goingup

Post by goingup » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:05 pm

Ordered last night and they said 7-10 day delivery.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:43 am

I wanted to update that I ordered meds and food yesterday and received the 7-10 day email but then got a shipped email this morning with arrival Monday. So maybe they're catching up at least in the Boston area?

Topic Author
Swansea

Post by Swansea » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:13 am

My food order was on the 25th in the am, still no notice that it has shipped.

goingup

Post by goingup » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:23 am

Swansea wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:13 am
Same here. In the details section of my order it says, "Out of Stock". I'm not going to pursue this with Chewy, and just let it play out. My back-up plan is PetCo store, which is still open here and also has curb-side pick up.

Mako

Post by Mako » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:31 am

goingup wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:23 am
Swansea wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:13 am
Same here. In the details section of my order it says, "Out of Stock". I'm not going to pursue this with Chewy, and just let it play out. My back-up plan is PetCo store, which is still open here and also has curb-side pick up.
Same here (except mine was the 24th). I can't blame them, these are unusual circumstances. Both Petco and Petsmart are doing curbside now so if Chewy doesn't work out we should hopefully be alright.

h82goslw

Post by h82goslw » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:39 am

Ordered online Sunday. Was told it would be 7-10 day arrival time. It came today (Saturday).
Usually I get next day shipping.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:32 am

I ordered Tuesday and they shipped the entire order this morning/last night. It's 6:30 Sunday morning here, so they are working hard.
The order was mostly Primal freeze dried food and Wellness snacks, etc. He's only 22# and doesn't eat too much.

Zoey

Post by Zoey » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:47 am

Info_Hound,
Can you go to the auto ship of the food you want and click on "ship now"? Wondering if that will get the food out of the "stuck" position. You may get a double shipment but in these times that will be ok. When you do get the food then go back to auto ship and click "ship now" again. My auto ship orders have been taking 2 weeks. This of course depends on what food you are ordering and going forward shipping may even take longer. Good Luck!!

Topic Author
Swansea

Post by Swansea » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:43 am

andypanda wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:32 am
I ordered Tuesday and they shipped the entire order this morning/last night. It's 6:30 Sunday morning here, so they are working hard.
The order was mostly Primal freeze dried food and Wellness snacks, etc. He's only 22# and doesn't eat too much.
Good intelligence...I ordered on Wed., so hopefully will get shipping started tomorrow...my 95 pound GSD eats anything which does not eat him first
Fortunately, there are 3 pet stores in town in case of a delay.