Costco Senior hour Tue and Thur

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Housedoc

Costco Senior hour Tue and Thur

Post by Housedoc » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:52 am

Costco open from 8-9AM for 60yo and older on Tuesday and Thursday. No underage guests allowed. Food court has regular hours. Effective today March 24. Let's ride!

HueyLD

Re: Costco Senior hour Tue and Thur

Post by HueyLD » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:08 am

At least the hour of 8-9 a.m. is reasonable. Some local grocer set their senior hour at 5-6 a.m. I have no idea if anyone is willing to get up so early just for grocery shopping.

Cactuscoug

Post by Cactuscoug » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:28 am

5:00am would be great! We are usually up around 3:30 or 4:00.

Different strokes . . .

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:31 am

Walmart is also adding senior hours.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 872045001/
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

alrick

Post by alrick » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:46 am

What I cannot understand is why any store or business wants to bring the whole population of vulnerables together in one place at one time. We generally go out to shop in the early evening....almost no one is in the store!

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:52 am

alrick wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:46 am
What I cannot understand is why any store or business wants to bring the whole population of vulnerables together in one place at one time. We generally go out to shop in the early evening....almost no one is in the store!
I believe the idea is that the store is cleanest first thing in the morning.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:39 am

I am a senior and I don't understand the point of senior hours. Are seniors at a disadvantage to shop with everyone else?
To me it is not good for society when there are stay at home rules, lockdowns and then we have "special" hours for a select group. This sets one age group against another. We already have that in this country.

28fe6

Post by 28fe6 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:40 am

I thought age wasa federally protected category.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:14 am

I am beginning to think these special hours for seniors is ridiculous (we are in our mid 80s) and nobody is being checked at the entrance anyway in my area. The best thing stores can do would be to improve their distribution system or put limits on items. :annoyed As customers we can store "only so much in our homes" but if the stores could improve their distribution of products to the stores we would not have to worry about shopping and stocking up.
Tom D.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:25 am

I went to the senior hours of a Whole Foods and a) had to show ID to get in and b) was number 37 let in. The place was very crowded, possibly even more crowded than usual. I didn't feel safe at all.

Not sure I would go to senior hours anywhere again.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:31 am

Wife went to Whole Food senior hours yesterday. Came back traumatized.

Neighbor went to Trader Joe’s about 20 minutes before opening. They have a separate line for seniors, and let the seniors in first. They’re also limiting the number of people in the store. So it worked great.

The conclusion we came to was to try stores that are physically larger. We live in the city and most stores are pretty small and people get packed together. We may drive to a bigger store next time we need to go.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:35 am

28fe6 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:40 am
I thought age wasa federally protected category.
Well, it's technically age 40+ that's federally protected and, per the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) of 1967, it only applies to employment discrimination. Companies are free to legally provide discounts to seniors, children, students, or whomever they like and having hours open only to certain ages falls under the same thing.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:38 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:39 am
I am a senior and I don't understand the point of senior hours. Are seniors at a disadvantage to shop with everyone else?
To me it is not good for society when there are stay at home rules, lockdowns and then we have "special" hours for a select group. This sets one age group against another. We already have that in this country.
We’re all, as humanity, just working everything out as we go along, but since this disease is more dangerous to seniors, I think the idea is to try to keep you alive.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:40 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Yes.

You're the group most vulnerable by far to coronavirus. You don't HAVE to shop during the special hours but you have the option to go in first after the store has been disinfected and without any kids running around spreading germs on every conceivable surface.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:06 am

My recent experience:

Considered going to WalMart Tuesday at 6 (one hour before normal opening at 7)

Instead, went yesterday, Monday, at 8:00

Store was not busy at all, mostly seniors, although I live in a retirement/senior area.

Everyone kept safe distances and were polite.

I wore a mask and gloves and long sleeves to be safe regardless of whether it is advised.
(maybe if I muttered under my breath and coughed it would have cleared the building! . . .. kidding) :confused

Went in, shopped very quickly, (did not go down an aisle unless it was empty of people) and left.

Wiped down packages and things when got home. Laundered clothes.

Practicing self isolation and protective measures is for the good of all and oneself. Social responsibility.

This might be a "wake up call" for many, perhaps will influence the "new normal".

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:06 am

dukeblue219 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:40 am
Shallowpockets wrote:
Yes.

You're the group most vulnerable by far to coronavirus. You don't HAVE to shop during the special hours but you have the option to go in first after the store has been disinfected and without any kids running around spreading germs on every conceivable surface.
Yes.
Social responsibility
Respect
Consideration

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:23 am

Housedoc wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:52 am
Costco open from 8-9AM for 60yo and older on Tuesday and Thursday. No underage guests allowed. Food court has regular hours. Effective today March 24. Let's ride!
Senior party time!

And if they're selling hot dogs at 8am, I'm all in.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:32 am

Stinky wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:23 am
Housedoc wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:52 am
Senior party time!

And if they're selling hot dogs at 8am, I'm all in.
Hotdog: the breakfast of champions.

boomer

Post by boomer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:42 am

Went this morning to Walmart senior hour at 6 a.m. Too many people! Had a lot of shopping to do and noticed by 7 that very few people were in the store. Just go at seven.

rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:42 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:06 am
My recent experience:

Store was not busy at all, mostly seniors, although I live in a retirement/senior area.

I wore a mask and gloves and long sleeves to be safe regardless of whether it is advised.
(maybe if I muttered under my breath and coughed it would have cleared the building! . . .. kidding) :confused

Went in, shopped very quickly, (did not go down an aisle unless it was empty of people) and left.

Practicing self isolation and protective measures is for the good of all and oneself. Social responsibility.

This might be a "wake up call" for many, perhaps will influence the "new normal".

Excellent practices and good advise for all! We live in SCal and wife and I are doing the same (70 and 60yo). I would only add take a shower after removing clothes. During SARS in Hong Kong, folks did similar; kept hamper at the door, removed shoes, clothes and took a shower. Go out shopping for essentials as little as possible.

Best wishes to all.
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:45 am

First time out to the store in 9 days. We drove over to our local big grocery store this AM at 7 just to scout it out. I thought is was going to be a zoo and it was. There was a big line, people cheek to jowl, along with a totally full parking lot.

We drove to a smaller store and a produce market a couple of miles away that were not running special senior hours and they were deserted. Went in wearing long sleeve shirt, hat, mask and gloves. Got some funny looks as expected but could care less. I think my outfit motivated others to give me adequate safe space and clear my path :shock:

Everyone is trying their best to set up ways to stay safer so we have to try new things. But this morning I was struck by how new arrangements designed to help, often have unintended ironic consequences.

There seems to be plenty of food to purchase in our smallish town - 20 k people. Of course little to nothing of a few well known items that the selfish *&%)*& hoarders are all panic/greedy buying but otherwise did not see much in the way of shortage.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:57 am

Just back from Costco and they did a good job of coordinating things.

Didn’t check ID but didn’t see many folks that were obviously too young. Lots of smiles and good humor from staff. They had TP and a queue to get it, 1 per person.

Back home safe and sound!

Glad to be a Costco shopper.

Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:41 am

boomer wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:42 am
Went this morning to Walmart senior hour at 6 a.m. Too many people! Had a lot of shopping to do and noticed by 7 that very few people were in the store. Just go at seven.
Were there security guards checking IDs to ensure that only seniors were allowed in?

Topic Author
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:42 am

About a 100 in line when I arrived at 745. They did check driver's license. Didn't have everything I needed so off to Sam's across the street. They had lots of everything. Sam's scan and go app is great. BTW, Costco out of all food court items and limit 1 on rotisserie chicken. I bought 2 whole birds at Sam's and they on the smoker now.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:05 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:45 am
First time out to the store in 9 days. We drove over to our local big grocery store this AM at 7 just to scout it out. I thought is was going to be a zoo and it was. There was a big line, people cheek to jowl, along with a totally full parking lot.

We drove to a smaller store and a produce market a couple of miles away that were not running special senior hours and they were deserted. Went in wearing long sleeve shirt, hat, mask and gloves. Got some funny looks as expected but could care less. I think my outfit motivated others to give me adequate safe space and clear my path :shock:

Everyone is trying their best to set up ways to stay safer so we have to try new things. But this morning I was struck by how new arrangements designed to help, often have unintended ironic consequences.

There seems to be plenty of food to purchase in our smallish town - 20 k people. Of course little to nothing of a few well known items that the selfish *&%)*& hoarders are all panic/greedy buying but otherwise did not see much in the way of shortage.
It's best to protect oneself as much as possible.

If you mumble under your breath and clear your throat, under the face mask, it will clear an additional 6 feet of space. :confused

WWJBDo

Post by WWJBDo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:15 pm

This morning my Costco parking lot at 7:50 was the most full I've ever seen it. So I went to another one.
That one had a line hundreds of people long at 8:10. I guy who was leaving said he was in line since 6:30.

Folks, the idea is *not* to stand in line with 6 inches between you. That's how you catch and spread COVID.

I will go another time.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:01 pm

I had been planning to go to Costco this week after 10 days since last going out for groceries. As I approached the store around 7:45AM, I could see that the parking lot was as crowded at a Saturday during holiday shopping season. Turned around and came home.

I intend to venture out shortly after noon as I do need to get perishables, but I will head to my local large grocery store. May try Costco at regular hours another time. I can't understand how so many people, who have to eat in non-pandemic times, are mobbing stores daily. How much broccoli can they eat?

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:19 pm

GerryL wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:01 pm
I had been planning to go to Costco this week after 10 days since last going out for groceries. As I approached the store around 7:45AM, I could see that the parking lot was as crowded at a Saturday during holiday shopping season. Turned around and came home.

I intend to venture out shortly after noon as I do need to get perishables, but I will head to my local large grocery store. May try Costco at regular hours another time. I can't understand how so many people, who have to eat in non-pandemic times, are mobbing stores daily. How much broccoli can they eat?
Not broccoli, packaged & frozen food.

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:21 pm

Bogleheads and their affinity for the highly overrated Costco...

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:34 pm

SuperGrafx wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:21 pm
Bogleheads and their affinity for the highly overrated Costco...
Personally, I’ll take Sam’s Club over Costco.

Costco has great hot dogs. But Sam’s has sinfully greasy three-meat pizza.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

bberris

Post by bberris » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:36 pm

alrick wrote:
No one is there because there's nothing left.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:43 pm

alrick wrote:
FWIW, someone on Nextdoor reported an older woman crying at the store a couple of days ago during a recent shopping trip because there was absolutely no bread on the shelf. It broke my heart.

So, I think it is a great idea stores are doing these special shopping hours so some populations can have access to items that sell out quickly. They can use masks and gloves, etc. to self-protect. :happy

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:46 pm

Please keep posting your Costco and other market experiences. Now is a great time to be a "Market Timer".

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:46 pm

we have that at our local giant (and it's for anyone who's immuno compromised).

I just heard today that costco is also (in some states) allowing only 25 people in the store at a given time.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:51 pm

WWJBDo wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:15 pm
This morning my Costco parking lot at 7:50 was the most full I've ever seen it. So I went to another one.
That one had a line hundreds of people long at 8:10. I guy who was leaving said he was in line since 6:30.

Folks, the idea is *not* to stand in line with 6 inches between you. That's how you catch and spread COVID.

I will go another time.
People are still lining up? Aren't we all stocked to the brim already?

gkc

Post by gkc » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:56 pm

I heard from an older colleague that the senior hours at our local grocery store yesterday morning were a nightmare. Densely packed at-risk older folks, with no possibility of social distancing, and one of the cashiers was coughing, with no masks in sight, no surfaces being cleaned.

Beware.

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:04 pm

GerryL wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:01 pm
How much broccoli can they eat?
I wondered about that too.

I can understand people stocking up on non-perishibles.

But, produce? How many days can spinach last in the frig.?

I was in our local Safeway Tue. noon looking for fresh produce. The shelf was completely empty. I went back on Thur. noon and saw the same thing.

What happened to the produce? People hoarding them too?

sport

Post by sport » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:23 pm

I just checked that there is an on-line delivery service for both our local Costco and our favorite supermarket. I expect the wait times for delivery are long which will require a little advanced planning. Nevertheless, if this works as advertised, there seems to be little need to go into either store. The costs may be a little higher, and I would expect to tip the delivery person. However, this is a cheap price to pay to avoid exposure to whatever is going around.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:40 pm

I just placed an on-line order from Costco. They promise delivery within 2 hours. It was very easy to do.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:53 pm

We attempted to go to Costco this morning during the "senior hour".

No joke there were about 300 people waiting to go in. :oops: The Costco is near SFO

On the positive side no line at the gas station.

We wound up going to a local market chain. We missed the "senior hours" but there was still a bit of a queue...made of seniors. When we left the market there was no line at all. :annoyed

No paper towels at all. Some staples missing but we got most of what we needed.

squirm

Post by squirm » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:25 pm

I found it better just to go to the everyday grocery store and pay more. Way less people and much less stress. Probably pay 40% more, but who cares in these times.

squirm

Post by squirm » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:31 pm

how do you wipe down the things you buy? Technically you're suppose to leave it wet with the disinfectant for 10 minutes, but I just don't see that happening. Is everyone wiping down boxes of cereal, milk jugs, etc?

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:33 pm

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:46 pm
we have that at our local giant (and it's for anyone who's immuno compromised).

I just heard today that costco is also (in some states) allowing only 25 people in the store at a given time.
Brilliant. They will just stand 6 inches apart in a line outside.

boomer

Post by boomer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:36 pm

Barkingsparrow wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:41 am
boomer wrote:
Were there security guards checking IDs to ensure that only seniors were allowed in?
They had someone at the door greeting people, but I didn't notice any IDS being checked.

GaryA505

Post by GaryA505 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:37 pm

rxtra8 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:06 am
My recent experience:

Excellent practices and good advise for all! We live in SCal and wife and I are doing the same (70 and 60yo). I would only add take a shower after removing clothes. During SARS in Hong Kong, folks did similar; kept hamper at the door, removed shoes, clothes and took a shower. Go out shopping for essentials as little as possible.

Best wishes to all.
So a lot of people were walking around the homes naked?

GaryA505

Post by GaryA505 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:39 pm

boomer wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:36 pm
Barkingsparrow wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:41 am
boomer wrote:
They had someone at the door greeting people, but I didn't notice any IDS being checked.
They weren't really checking anyone at my Costco. I saw one guy that couldn't have been more than 25. He probably just got home from spring break in Florida.

GaryA505

Post by GaryA505 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:47 pm

fareastwarriors wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:51 pm
WWJBDo wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:15 pm

I will go another time.
People are still lining up? Aren't we all stocked to the brim already?
I guess some people haven't completely filled up their garages with toilet paper yet.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:10 pm

Carefreeap wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:53 pm
We attempted to go to Costco this morning during the "senior hour".

No joke there were about 300 people waiting to go in. :oops: The Costco is near SFO

On the positive side no line at the gas station.

We wound up going to a local market chain. We missed the "senior hours" but there was still a bit of a queue...made of seniors. When we left the market there was no line at all. :annoyed

No paper towels at all. Some staples missing but we got most of what we needed.
Trying using Costco online through instacart. "Same Day Delivery" is running with 2 days delay. but my delivery is coming tomorrow. Yay

sport

Post by sport » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:18 pm

sport wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:40 pm
I just placed an on-line order from Costco. They promise delivery within 2 hours. It was very easy to do.
We ordered 9 items. Two were out of stock, so those were removed from the bill. The other items arrived as promised. As we instructed, they were left at our front door. There was no direct contact with anyone. We will do most, if not all, of our shopping this way for a while.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:24 pm

alrick wrote:
Costco receives truck shipments nearly every night, so stuff is up and available first thing in the morning. So if you need TP, it WILL be available. If you come early evening, maybe not.