Need recommendation on a trampoline

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Tenesmus83

Need recommendation on a trampoline

Post by Tenesmus83 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:54 pm

have 3 kids at home. Since schools are closed they will be home for a while. Looking
for a decent size trampoline for them jump in.

Watty

Re: Need recommendation on a trampoline

Post by Watty » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:59 pm

Be sure to check with your home insurance company.

If you have a trampoline they may raise your rates or cancel your policy.

gr7070

Post by gr7070 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:10 pm

I think ours was 16'-nice and big. Side safety net is a must!

Note the insurance/liability concern. Significant injuries are certainly a potential risk.
Last edited by gr7070 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:17 pm

In Ground....My granddaughters love it..Sump pump keeps the water out....The trampoline is at ground level...

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:58 pm

Watty wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:59 pm
Be sure to check with your home insurance company.

If you have a trampoline they may raise your rates or cancel your policy.
I recently switched insurers and one question posed to me was whether I owned a trampoline.

Yooper

Post by Yooper » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:03 pm

We got a Skywalker 15-Feet Round Trampoline and Enclosure with Spring Pad off of Amazon in 2015. Used heavily, often with 7 kids at a time on it. End of last summer the jumping mat finally started giving out (the fabric holding a couple of the V hooks began fraying) so I'll need to get a replacement this spring. Took it down each fall so it was out of the elements during late fall/winter/spring. Very happy with it. Think they're all about the same. Definitely get one with the mesh enclosure.

annu

Post by annu » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:52 am

We seriously looked into one, but risk of injury stopped us. One thing, if you do go through, get one with protecting mesh which keeps the springs on the edges out. As we found kids hurting themselves getting into the springs while jumping.

We did make a compromise and I went to homedepott and made them an american ninja show kind of track(not as big) with bunch of PVC pipes( to make hurdles to jump over, crawl under), wooden boards to work on, for a budget of 60 bucks and 4 hours.
They have been timing each other, increasing height of hurdles jump over, moving them closer etc. and have a blast.
.For trampolines there are some indoors ones as well, but quite lame, will not recommend

mcamp18

Post by mcamp18 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:01 pm

There is a reason ER nurses and Trauma Neuro nurses never buy trampolines for their children.

Mark

casualflower

Post by casualflower » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:22 pm

15-Foot Skywalker Trampoline

Three kids. We bought our first one for Christmas of 2014 off Amazon for $280. It lasted 4 1/2 years until too many springs ripped out. Then we bought another, this time shipped from Wal Mart for $150. It's always been a centerpiece of the street. It's used by my kids 300 days a year. Couldn't recommend it more.

*The instructions for putting it up aren't great. Make sure to feed the mat and the sides together before attaching springs, orient the whole thing exactly right, and attach the springs in a specific opposing manner.

anoop

Post by anoop » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:41 pm

Either SPY, IVV, or VOO should be fine. If they like a bit more excitement, then I'd suggest UPRO. I also second the suggestion for a side safety net. :D

plog

Post by plog » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:38 am

We jumped our bikes off poorly built ramps and over each other, had bottle rocket fights, roller derby in our small all concrete basement and played king of the top bunk bed; but the one thing I look back on and am amazed at the relative luck we had was with the thing our parents actually bought for us---the trampoline.

Between the 4 of us that thing was responsible for 2 concussions a year, a dislocated/broken finger/toe every month, a bad ankle sprain every other month, once a sibling had two front teeth pushed into their gums(dentist was able to fix and save them), and twice someone could have used 3-5 stitches but my dad's a wiz with super glue. And again. Even with all that, I consider us lucky.

But, it was hours of awesome fun and as I said in the first paragraph, we were idiots and had little regard for our own well being. If you've got Daredevil/idiot kids or neighborhood kids with litigious parents I'd really consider not getting a trampoline.

Blue456

Post by Blue456 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:36 pm

Tenesmus83 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:54 pm
have 3 kids at home. Since schools are closed they will be home for a while. Looking
I used to work at urgent care and most kids that came with sprains and fractures were from trampolines.
Last edited by Blue456 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:28 am

Your local orthopedic surgery group thanks you in advance.

I would never, ever get one. I’ve seen many, horrific, life-altering injuries from trampolines, even/especially in kids, and operated on lots more.

If you’re serious about doing it, the only way I would even think of it is burying it in the ground (so you can just walk onto it), or having and properly installing one of those protective nets around it. And even then...

My kids begged for one, but they’ve learned to stop asking. I’ve shown them a few xrays of patients I’ve treated from trampoline injuries. They only needed to see so many broken forearms or dislocated/fractured elbows to realize they weren’t making any progress.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:15 am

Two neighbors had trampolines. Great fun. I agree they're dangerous, but you can't and shouldn't protect kids from everything. Man, I could do a front flip and a super-high bounce right now! I was too chicken to do a backflip because somehow I felt it was more likely I'd stall out and land on my neck. However, I understand it's probably easier than a front flip because you can see your landing zone for much longer. No mesh enclosure and elevated, but it did have a pad over the springs which eventually rotted. We broke a lot of spring connections. That added some real variability over time.

OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:24 am

DONT DO IT...a quote from my smart ass DW who says this about trampolines..." teach your kids to smoke, its safer" . Yea she is an ER nurse...
I think she might be a little over the bar on this but..instead teach them a safer sport...dodgeball is fun! all the best..
Last edited by OldBallCoach on Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:32 am

I bought one used for my kids and they love it. I think the square ones are pretty neat, but we have a regular ole circle one.
Use the video below to deal with the springs, it made assembling it a breeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8IEIimDrqk

MangoMama

Post by MangoMama » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:32 am

Like others have said, Don't Do It.

Had a birthday party at a local trampoline park a few weeks ago with toddlers and older kids. 2 yr old was "jumping" (mainly bouncing) when his older brother jumped next to him. The toddler fell down and started balling and grabbed his knee. Everything looked ok on the outside but he would not stop crying.

Parents ended up taking him urgent care for an x-ray and then straight to the ER. He had a fracture right below the knee. Will be in a full leg cast for 4-6 weeks.

I saw the incident and he barely got a inch of air, but must of landed badly. I was shocked .

Don't do it.

babyboglehead

Post by babyboglehead » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:30 pm

I'm a pediatrician, also with 3 kids at home. Seriously, just don't do it. Put the money toward the thousands of other activities your kids could be doing. Some people have had fun and never gotten any injuries from them. Some people have also made lots of money buying crypto on margin. Maybe your kids will be fine, or maybe they will be like the preschooler I knew (personally, not through work) who got bilateral midshaft femur fractures from one of those tiny "exercise" trampolines. Yes, you can't protect your kids from everything, but the fact that it's singled out by your insurer should raise some red flags. Actuarial tables don't lie. If you're into small upside with very large downside risk I guess you do you, but doesn't seem very Boglehead-ish to me.

gr7070

Post by gr7070 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:41 pm

babyboglehead wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:30 pm
If you're into small upside with very large downside risk I guess you do you
Damn, that's some straight forward talk! I love it. Probably advice I would have listened to when my son was young.

Fortunately he's risk averse and never was injured - he's at the age he no longer uses the trampoline. Oddly, the one place things can really end badly he's fearless, the water.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:52 pm

FWIW

Back in the (late 90s) my best friend/neighbor had one and we used it a bunch. Ignored all the safety rules. Had no net or spring cover back then, either. Luckily no one was injured. We'd have multiple high school sized kids on it and try and bounce each other higher, sometimes resulting in bottoming out on the ground. We'd also jump off the adjacent fence onto it. One of the safer things we did was screw shoes to a blank skateboard deck - a la a mini snowboard and use that to do tricks - one at a time at least. We were risk takers, not stupid ;)

Just to get an idea of what it might be like. Good chance of broken wrist, I'm sure. Again, we never had an injury and used the heck out of it - teenagers w/o adult supervision (but before iphone/GoPro/social media)

wish

Post by wish » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:26 pm

babyboglehead wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:30 pm
I'm a pediatrician, also with 3 kids at home. Seriously, just don't do it. Put the money toward the thousands of other activities your kids could be doing. Some people have had fun and never gotten any injuries from them. Some people have also made lots of money buying crypto on margin. Maybe your kids will be fine, or maybe they will be like the preschooler I knew (personally, not through work) who got bilateral midshaft femur fractures from one of those tiny "exercise" trampolines. Yes, you can't protect your kids from everything, but the fact that it's singled out by your insurer should raise some red flags. Actuarial tables don't lie. If you're into small upside with very large downside risk I guess you do you, but doesn't seem very Boglehead-ish to me.
Amen, Amen...
Another MD here... I used & loved the trampoline as a youth and was present for some near catastrophes that I did not appreciate until spending time in the ER.... I agree ..” Seriously, just don't do it. ”

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:00 pm

A naked link has been removed.

fogalog

Post by fogalog » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:30 pm

We bought a Springfree trampoline for our kids many years ago. They are expensive but they address many of the issues that people tend to cite when talking about trampolines being dangerous: no metal edges, springs or poles to hit and a very strong, zippered net. I assembled it myself. You still need to be careful: we never allowed parents to go on with kids, more than 3 kids, etc., and of course your kids can still injure themselves just like they would with any other "jumping-around-and-crashing-into-each-other" activity. My kids are teenagers now and still occasionally use it. Also, many years later and though a little faded, it is otherwise as good as new. If you look on your local craigslist, there is a healthy resale market.

Good luck!

yules

Post by yules » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:49 am

Tenesmus83 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:54 pm
Tenesmus,

You’ll get a good recommendation (and maybe a free trampoline) from this other thread: viewtopic.php?p=5143782#p5143782

Yules