Do I need Trend Micro Seurity Software on a new Chromebook?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Retired1809

Do I need Trend Micro Seurity Software on a new Chromebook?

Post by Retired1809 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:05 pm

Hi,
I recently bought a new Chromebook from Bestbuy and they sent us an email "reminding" us that we should download the free Trend Micro Security Software on this computer. I did not think Chromebooks needed such software beyond what came with the computer. (I bought an identical Chromebook in December at Office Depot and there was no mention of this software.

Should I download the Trend Micro software or not?

Thank you.

fwellimort

Re: Do I need Trend Micro Seurity Software on a new Chromebook?

Post by fwellimort » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:14 pm

Don't need unless you want to slow down your computer or love downloading (and going out of your way) questionable applications (and even then it’s very very difficult).

Download uBlock Origin add-on on your chrome browser though. Ads are annoying.
And HTTPS Everywhere add-on

Bestbuy wants you to buy more stuffs.
Even Windows don't need paid anti-virus now.

Topic Author
Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:16 pm

Thank you, fwellimort,
That was exactly what I suspected. I did not and will not download it.

InvestingGeek

Post by InvestingGeek » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:34 pm

No anti virus or extra security software needed for what is essentially a browser OS. Unless you want to make your system slower and less secure.

annu

Post by annu » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:19 am

Avoid trend micro, but look into chrome extensions like uBlock Origin, blur, clickandclean, https everywhere, and defender extension from microsoft.

And just because its browser based, does limit the attack vectors, but it does not inherently means you are safe. There are enough browser based exploits out there.
.google does a good job, but chrome is can have exploits as well, so always good choice to have some additional security

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:08 am

My ASUS router has Trend Micro built in. The router's status page shows 649 blocks by Trend Micro since December 2019.

All 649 are categorized as either "spam" or "Made for AdSense." I am surprised there isn't a wider variety of categories, but there are *many* different sites in each of those two categories.

All but 10 of those were from my cell phone and about half occurred all in one day and most, but not all, of that half were from one site: v.itonoow.com
Last edited by bertilak on Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:12 am

I would avoid using and purchasing Trend Micro. What I would do though is go slow, read before you click, and do not go to any websites that you have never heard of. That will give you a good amount of protection at no charge or performance hit.
Stay invested my friends.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:51 am

I've had Chromebooks for years and never put any security software on them. In fact sometimes I've deliberately tried looking at suspicious sites where I didn't trust my Windows machine to go, and it's always blocked access to them.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:54 am

Does Trend Micro even make a version of their software for Chromebooks? It's not clear to me after a very quick Google search.

Anyways, you don't need it for your Chromebook.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:04 am

I would not install it on my Chromebook. Part the reason I use a Chromebook is I'm sick of the all the security garbage bloatware.
... but it's a bit of a sticky situation to tell someone else that they don't need to take some security or safety measure, inevitably they'll find the exception or read some story saying something different and want to argue about it.
I don't use it, but you'll have to make up your own mind on what you think about. Here's a blog from a view trying to poke holes in that idea:

Trend Micro BLOG: Chrome OS: So secure we don’t need security?
https://blog.trendmicro.com/chrome-os-s ... -security/
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham