Is living near power lines ok or bad?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tomwood

Is living near power lines ok or bad?

Post by tomwood »

Is there known and credible evidence which says health risks increase for a family living close to power lines....and how close?
Or is it more of an unsubstantiated point of view that should be ignored when shopping for the ideal new home?

Maybe it’s just a small sample size but it does appear to me that in my area the price per square foot of a home is a tad less when the home or neighborhood is close to large power lines?

What do the logical B-Heads say about this topic?
livesoft

Re: Is living near power lines ok or bad?

Post by livesoft »

To some extent it doesn't really matter what the facts are: People do not like to pay the same for similar homes where one is located near a nuisance and the other is not. Perception is everything.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

I have never read or seen any convincing evidence that this is an actual health hazard. I can’t say I’ve studied it extensively, however, like many things if there was conclusive data showing it was dangerous it’s been so long they wouldn’t let people live close to them.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

I wouldn't. Who knows what the long term health effects are going to be, and when you eventually sell you'll be dealing with wary buyers as well.
BoomerM3

Post by BoomerM3 »

I have not seen any hard evidence of health effects. However, the 'feeling' still exists that living near power lines is a bad thing. So, even if the concept doesn't bother you, I suggest you evaluate the impact power lines may have on your resale value.
Topic Author
tomwood

Post by tomwood »

livesoft wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:51 pm To some extent it doesn't really matter what the facts are: People do not like to pay the same for similar homes where one is located near a nuisance and the other is not. Perception is everything.
I should have consulted you before posting this question. Nuisance is the better way to ask this question. While a power line might be a visible nuisance, is that the reason for a slight decrease in home value (similar form noise when living near a highway) or is it more than a nuisance and is there a potential health risk 5 to 55 years down the road?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

^No proven health risk at this time. But the reality is that many people do not believe in science.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

deleted
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (where to live).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

Among children living < 50 m from 200 + kV power lines, the adjusted odds ratio for childhood leukaemia was 1.33 (95% CI: 0.92-1.93).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29808013
MP123

Post by MP123 »

I once lived in a house close to high voltage lines. They would hum, buzz, and crackle in some atmospheric conditions. I don't think there's any clear evidence that they're dangerous but it always seemed a little sketchy too. The electromagnetic field decreases as the inverse square of the distance. So being a little further away makes a big difference in exposure levels (which may not cause health problems anyway).

I would expect that being close to high voltage lines would have a significant negative effect on the price and marketability of a house. But at enough of a discount I'm sure there would be a buyer.
sport

Post by sport »

Many people don't realize that they already live near high voltage power lines. While the voltage is not nearly as high as the long distance lines, the local neighborhood lines are at higher voltage than you might expect. Some years ago, one of these neighborhood lines came down in my next door neighbors back yard. The sparks and charring of the ground was quite a show, and no one was injured. The fire department came out to keep people away and to deal with any fires that might ensue. It turned out that this innocent looking line at the top of the pole carried electricity at 13,000 volts.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

oldfort wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:18 pm
Among children living < 50 m from 200 + kV power lines, the adjusted odds ratio for childhood leukaemia was 1.33 (95% CI: 0.92-1.93).
Thanks for the link. You picked the 2nd sentence of the Results section which is probably mumbo-jumbo to most folks. Here is the first sentence:
There was no material association between childhood leukaemia and distance to nearest overhead power line of any voltage.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

livesoft wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:26 pm
Thanks for the link. You picked the 2nd sentence of the Results section which is probably mumbo-jumbo to most folks. Here is the first sentence:
There was no material association between childhood leukaemia and distance to nearest overhead power line of any voltage.
Here are the conclusions:
In this first comprehensive pooled analysis of childhood leukaemia and distance to power lines, we found a small and imprecise risk for residences < 50 m of 200 + kV lines that was not explained by high magnetic fields. Reasons for the increased risk, found in this and many other studies, remains to be elucidated.
shelanman

Post by shelanman »

I grew up near really big power lines. (I guess that explains why I am the way I am?)

When we all moved in to the neighborhood, folks were concerned that the continuous EM would be bad for us. One of the neighbors bought a detector. The power lines produced a continuous field -- not really strong, all the way down at the ground and 30m away from the lines where the house was -- but continuous, of course. Folks were concerned.

Then we walked inside with the detector and found that sitting on the sofa in front of the TV with the lights on produced a field almost 3x as strong.

We stopped worrying.

Post by 123 »

I would avoid living near power lines due to the issue of potential interference with radio/TV and other electronic technologies (some of which may not have been invented yet).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Sounds like a medical question, but here goes. We lived near 250kv lines for years. We're still alive.
sport

Post by sport »

123 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:49 pm I would avoid living near power lines due to the issue of potential interference with radio/TV and other electronic technologies (some of which may not have been invented yet).
They are also not good for kite flying. :shock:
Watty

Post by Watty »

tomwood wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:49 pm Maybe it’s just a small sample size but it does appear to me that in my area the price per square foot of a home is a tad less when the home or neighborhood is close to large power lines?
At least until a few weeks ago most housing markets were strong and in a strong market potential buyers will tend to overlook houses with "issues" like being near a power line, lower tier schools, flood risk, etc.

A risk is that you might need to sell the house in a bad housing market and potential buyers would be less forgiving about any issues that a house might have since they could have their choice of similar homes without the issue.

I don't know what the science says about any risk but I would try to avoid a house like that just because of possible resale issues.

That said I know someone that has a house that backs up to a powerline and they actually like it since they do not having anyone living directly behind them so they get a lot of privacy. They also get more wildlife like deer that live in the greenspace under the powerline.
wander

Post by wander »

Scientific or not, I am not going to live near the hight power lines. I've seen electricians fixing the power lines damaged after storms and realized how dangerous it is living too close to those lines.
dvvader

Post by dvvader »

The strength of a magnetic field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance (1/x^2). In other words, you're fine health-wise. As others have alluded to, the biggest problem with power lines is that they are ugly! :)
Teague

Post by Teague »

Thanks. If I recall correctly, a confidence interval that crosses 1 means there was no significant association found. Right?
Semper Augustus
gabbar

Post by gabbar »

I dont know about risks but it is more a question of aesthetics. We bought at the top of the market in the summer of 2018. The houses near power lines sold at a discount then as well. Similarly, houses serviced with overhead utility lines sold at a discount vs. neighborhoods with underground lines. To many buyers, utility lines are an eyesore.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Here is a publication by the National Institutes of Health and the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences that has information on EMF and power lines that you may find helpful: https://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/materi ... sh_508.pdf

When we were considering purchasing a home and acreage a number of years ago, there were two power transmission lines (500KV and 230KV) several hundred yards from one of the property lines. We called the local electric utility who put us in touch with Georgia Power, who owned the lines. They actually performed an EMF survey of the property we were looking at, which involved measuring EMF in milliGauss at ten different areas; directly under the lines, at the edge of the right of way, at the property line closest to the transmission lines, and at several other locations on the property, including at each side of the house.

You may want to see if your local electric utility will do the same if you are considering property near transmission lines.
CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds »

What is the voltage of the lines?

If these are transmission lines, I would advise to be over 300 meters away. If distribution level (4K -15K volts), I would advise to be over 30 ft away. These are based on comparison of typical milliGauss measurements as a function of distance for varying voltages to generally-accepted safe levels.

It is the magnetic radiation, not the electric radiation, that is the concern and possible human carcinogen.
Last edited by CoastalWinds on Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

I know families who were raised, then raised their children, near high voltage power towers. No issues any generation.

I don't know the voltage, but these towers ran for hundreds of miles when I trace them on google maps.

OP didn't ask about resale value, only about health effects. Nevertheless, discount now = discount later.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
celia

Post by celia »

https://www.safespaceprotection.com/new ... to-cancer/

Link is for a company reporting some results of medical studies. However, their business is to sell devices to reduce the effects.

Anecdotally, I know of a family that had these lines in their back yard. After one of the daughters grew up, married, had several kids, the dad had died and the mother moved out (but still owned the house) so the younger family could live there. I think the two generations lived there for about 40 years and several people in both generations died before age 60 with various cancers and different illnesses. The younger mother, who also lived there as the daughter, died around 50. The older mother is still around (in a different neighborhood) but sometimes talks about how most of her kids died young.

Why choose such a house when one without the electrical forces can be purchased?
BillyK

Post by BillyK »

I would be more worried about EMFs from household appliances including computer screens/monitors and overhead lights than from nearby electric transmission lines. The sun and earth produce EMFs. I have worked more than several major high voltage transmission line projects, and I have heard electric utility company engineers explain to fearful landowners during public meetings numerous reputable worldwide studies on the topic showing that their fears are unsupported. Personally, I would have no fear living near them from a health perspective. However, aesthetically they aren’t particularly pleasing, but there is often a lot of valuable real estate located in close proximity to them.
CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds »

Keep in mind that, in the US, things are typically assumed to be safe until proven otherwise. This is a large burden to overcome. Numerous scientific studies have recommended caution / reasonable avoidance based on observations of a possible or probable increase of health effects risk including cancer (based on specific mG levels). Reasonable avoidance includes not buying a house that would expose oneself to such levels of concern.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

celia wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:00 pm https://www.safespaceprotection.com/new ... to-cancer/

Link is for a company reporting some results of medical studies. However, their business is to sell devices to reduce the effects.

Anecdotally, I know of a family that had these lines in their back yard. After one of the daughters grew up, married, had several kids, the dad had died and the mother moved out (but still owned the house) so the younger family could live there. I think the two generations lived there for about 40 years and several people in both generations died before age 60 with various cancers and different illnesses. The younger mother, who also lived there as the daughter, died around 50. The older mother is still around (in a different neighborhood) but sometimes talks about how most of her kids died young.
So are you saying that this families outcomes are because they had power lines in their backyard?
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

tomwood wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:58 pm
livesoft wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:51 pm To some extent it doesn't really matter what the facts are: People do not like to pay the same for similar homes where one is located near a nuisance and the other is not. Perception is everything.
I should have consulted you before posting this question. Nuisance is the better way to ask this question. While a power line might be a visible nuisance, is that the reason for a slight decrease in home value (similar form noise when living near a highway) or is it more than a nuisance and is there a potential health risk 5 to 55 years down the road?
I have power lines on my property: high voltage transmission in the back field on my neighbor's land, but I am in the 40' right of way of that, pole to pole for the area and then the neighborhood lines. I am required by the county to keep the land mowed, but can't do anything with it, so I am paying taxes on land I can't really use other than it affording me the guarantee it won't be developed. (The county does offer reduced taxes if its more than 5 acres of land that is in the right of way.) A year or so before I moved in, Dominion Power came through and had all the private sheds, fences, pools and whatnot removed, it caused a lot of hard feelings of course. Only fences which have a cattle gate are now permitted which will allow a truck through, not terribly attractive. Now they are going to bury some lines, causing some disruption, but its worth it. Even if you don't have lines on your property, be sure you don't have rights of way or easements on your land; about 10 years ago, in a rather expensive area west of Richmond, there was a natural gas leak in a major buried line; many folks had to move out temporarily and they were not even aware of what was buried below them.
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

tomwood wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:49 pm Is there known and credible evidence which says health risks increase for a family living close to power lines....and how close?
Or is it more of an unsubstantiated point of view that should be ignored when shopping for the ideal new home?

Maybe it’s just a small sample size but it does appear to me that in my area the price per square foot of a home is a tad less when the home or neighborhood is close to large power lines?

Yes, here’s a Nature article from 2000 with over 900 citations showing an increased risk factor for childhood leukemia. Other health risks are discussed in related papers but the associations don’t seem to be as strong as this.
https://www.nature.com/articles/6691376
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

tomwood wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:49 pm Is living near power lines ok or bad?
Look up "Corona effect" !
mega317

Post by mega317 »

livesoft wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:26 pm Thanks for the link. You picked the 2nd sentence of the Results section which is probably mumbo-jumbo to most folks. Here is the first sentence:
And what that sentence means, or what they are trying to say, is the CI crossed 1, which really says more about the data than the answer to the question. I think the wording is too strong. I assume the p values were >.05 since they aren't reported, but I didn't read the supplements. Interesting paper.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

phantom0308 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:10 am
tomwood wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:49 pm Is there known and credible evidence which says health risks increase for a family living close to power lines....and how close?

Yes, here’s a Nature article from 2000 with over 900 citations showing an increased risk factor for childhood leukemia. Other health risks are discussed in related papers but the associations don’t seem to be as strong as this.
https://www.nature.com/articles/6691376
Citation counts aren't necessarily a meaningful statistic.

Note that it has many of the same authors as the 2018 paper previously linked in this thread, with similar conclusions. The main point, however, is to observe more carefully what the link you provided says. It does not seem to describe a "strong" association:
For North American subjects whose residences were in the highest wire code category, the estimated summary relative risk was 1.24 (0.82–1.87). Thus, we found no evidence in the combined data for the existence of the so-called wire-code paradox. In summary, the 99.2% of children residing in homes with exposure levels < 0.4 μT had estimates compatible with no increased risk, while the 0.8% of children with exposures ≥ 0.4 μT had a relative risk estimate of approximately 2, which is unlikely to be due to random variability. The explanation for the elevated risk is unknown, but selection bias may have accounted for some of the increase.
Based on that, it is possible there is a real risk (although we're talking about a condition affecting 4.6 per 100,000 children per year, so even a doubling represents a small total risk), it's possible there is no risk, or it's possible there is a risk, but it's due to some other risk factor getting confounded with powerlines (eg - there are several known lifestyle risk factors, so are those living near powerlines more likely to exhibit those behaviors).
annu

Post by annu »

Let to the show, but I work somewhat related field, and evidence is very limited if at all as it depends upon your exposure level and amount.
A good link https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-ca ... ation.html, shows some studies and correlations

If you are worried buy a device called gaussmeter, they can be bought from $20 and up and confirm for sure what level of exposure risk is there.

What normally happens though, they look ugly, and can also have some other infra stuff like huge base towers to carry them, and risk of accident is higher if you close to them, if nothing else they can have easements on property that you might be more aware of. We recently found one, and local poweencomoanybis cutting a tree that we really like but they have the authorization
celia

Post by celia »

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:25 pm So are you saying that this families outcomes are because they had power lines in their backyard?
Who knows?

But also who knows the causes of the illnesses? The severity and large numbers aren’t anywhere near what a family of their size usually has, IMO. The cases were different enough that it didn’t look like an inherited trait.
Tool-Time

Post by Tool-Time »

I am a Transmission Line engineer for a utility. As said previously here, no proven danger. A few things to consider.

Property value
Make sure you review the easements that the power company has on your property and neighboring properties. They may be allowed to add structures, increase structure height and size or all three.
Review any access easements that may exist,
Construction may last months in your back yard. That bring said, construction on your land usually means a windfall for the owner. If trees are removed, property damaged etc you may get compensation.
When you sell you may have difficulty.
Utilities offer a free review of EMF on specific property. Ask the owner to get this report.
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

I once had a friend who lived in a house directly under a large set of utility power lines. He was always tired and seemed to lack Energy!

:D
Stay invested my friends.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

In my area these homes are sometimes desirable because the easement becomes a defacto greenway and the local power company permits people to garden in the easement provided they don't plant trees and help maintain the easement.

Depending on the size of the line and the location along it it may be more it less ugly, and there might be humming equipment that would be a nuisance.

It can be true at the same time that there is no health risk from living near lines AND that the price is lower because people are scared of a health risk that doesn't exist.
Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet »

Livesoft's authoritative Guide:
livesoft wrote:A list from a previous thread ….
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 24#p818024
livesoft wrote:When we started looking to buy, we went to library and checked out the books. It was pretty straightforward. I would not buy a book unless it was in the $1 rack at the used book store.

And the idea of "evaluating windows" is kind of silly. Here's my criteria when I was looking for a home.

1. On a cul-de-sac near the end, but not at the end and not at the beginning.
2. Good schools.
3. Within 3 miles of my office.
4. Short walk from a water features like a pond or lake.
5. No tile countertops.
6. No bathroom doors visible from a seated position in any public room like den, kitchen, living room, game room, study, etc.
7. 4 bedrooms, at least 3 bathrooms.
8. Brick exterior, not stucco, not wood.
9. No major street within 2 blocks. (i.e. Interior cul-de-sac).
10. No chance of flooding, so must be on a ridge or high ground with good drainage even during a hurricane.

Surprisingly, these criteria eliminate about 98% of homes, so if the realtor is doing their job, you won't have to look at more than 1 or 2 homes. Notice that except for the countertop thing, there is nothing special about windows, insulation, appliances, etc. Those are small things that you can change. You can't change location and add a large pond or good schools where none exist.
In addition, (some are redundant):

11. Not on a corner (same as #1).
12. If street has street lights, at the street light (free security lighting).
13. 3 ways out of the neighborhood (in case fallen trees block the roads).
14. Cannot hear any highway noise nor noise of major traffic arteries.
15. Nice walking possibilities for the dog; nice running/biking loops in several directions for you.
16. Consider site plan: Deciduous trees on south side to shield from sun in summer, open views on north side.
17. No nuisances (no electric wires, power lines. No visible water towers, cell phone towers, billboards, sewage treatment plants.)
18. Walk to schools (see #2).
19. Walk/bike to nearby grocery store, restaurants, drugstores, doctors, dentists (but not so close that one gets any noise or traffic in the neighborhood).
20. Home is offset from next door homes, so that windows do not face neighbors' windows, patios do not directly face neighors' patios.

And I agree with awval999, price-per-sq-ft is a good criteria, but once narrowed to a neighborhood the list I presented might help.
[/quote]
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

wander wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:48 pm Scientific or not, I am not going to live near the hight power lines. I've seen electricians fixing the power lines damaged after storms and realized how dangerous it is living too close to those lines.
With that logic you shouldn't live near roads where cars are or drive on them with your car. Just because you have seen trained professionals repairing high voltage lines doesn't mean the lines are dangerous. Unless of course you feel you might need to repair them yourself someday.

Cheers
fishnhunt

Post by fishnhunt »

I avoided buying a house last year because of this. It had high voltage transmission lines running along the side of the house over the yard about 150-200 feet away (it was a 2.5 acre lot). I got a lot of mixed results by researching online, decided to play it safe.
Waywayafar

Post by Waywayafar »

Ten years ago we looked at a house right next to a high voltage transmission line right-of-way in the middle of suburbia. We both really liked it.

I mentioned the property to a friend of mine, the city's chief inspector, and he said please don't buy it. Below the huge parallel towers is an underground super highway of piping.

I did some research and found multiple sets of 36"+ piping that included domestic water, sanitary sewer, natural gas, and (4) 48" Jet A fuel lines supplying fuel from the local refineries directly to LAX. All of the piping was installed in the 50's and 60's.

We passed on the property.

When looking at any property don't forget to also look down.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

celia wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:42 am
ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:25 pm So are you saying that this families outcomes are because they had power lines in their backyard?
Who knows?

But also who knows the causes of the illnesses? The severity and large numbers aren’t anywhere near what a family of their size usually has, IMO. The cases were different enough that it didn’t look like an inherited trait.
Don't hedge. By insinuating you're effectively saying this family had various "bad" outcomes, over multiple generations, over 40 years, due to the power lines in their backyard and not any other factor.

Please link to unbiased scientific studies that back up your claim - not from a manufacturer whose site is designed to generate fear to sell you something, and who may be taking claims out of context.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

When I moved back to VA and was searching for a home, I wanted a one story brick home, not in an HOA. That really limited my choices to older neighborhoods and homes. Those tend to not have the lines buried, at least not yet, though I was told by both the State Corporation Commission and Dominion Energy that with the exception of the high voltage lines, they will be buried in the next few years (the ones on my property serve both a hospital and a mall). Dominion Power does come through every three years and trims the trees in the right of way and also within 10 to 15 feet of the right of way.
Tool-Time

Post by Tool-Time »

Besides trimming utilities sometimes use herbicides.
Also consider what ever type of structure on your property now, it could change. An airy lattice structure may become a steel pole feet in diameter. Guy lines might be added, limiting your use of the property. Be aware that many utilities install an underground “ground” line connecting structures. If a short occurs and you are in contact you can be electrocuted. Severe burns or worse.
Tool-Time

Post by Tool-Time »

Underground lines for anything but distribution lines are not financially feasible in many parts of the country.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Tool-Time wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:57 am Besides trimming utilities sometimes use herbicides.
Also consider what ever type of structure on your property now, it could change. An airy lattice structure may become a steel pole feet in diameter. Guy lines might be added, limiting your use of the property. Be aware that many utilities install an underground “ground” line connecting structures. If a short occurs and you are in contact you can be electrocuted. Severe burns or worse.
A good summary - as folks are speaking about all types of transmission lines here some 'poles' may also contain transformers which have had known carcinogens in the past. The oil in the transformer may have been leaked at some point in the past and not necessarily cleaned up on the land beneath.
Not saying this did happen but in our area it could have happened prior to the knowledge and attention given to this issue.
dbr

Post by dbr »

smitcat wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:05 am
Tool-Time wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:57 am Besides trimming utilities sometimes use herbicides.
A good summary - as folks are speaking about all types of transmission lines here some 'poles' may also contain transformers which have had known carcinogens in the past. The oil in the transformer may have been leaked at some point in the past and not necessarily cleaned up on the land beneath.
Not saying this did happen but in our area it could have happened prior to the knowledge and attention given to this issue.
I was thinking about the same thing. And the point is these are the residential service found in any alley and not the HV transmission lines people worry about.