So what are you cooking

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rivendell

Re: So what are you cooking

Post by rivendell »

I have been baking bread and rolls for the past two weeks. Some efforts have been more successful than others! I had not done this for about 35 years so out of practice.
Also making casseroles from items in freezer, pantry and pasta. So far may family is eating these but I don't think I would win a chopped episode on HGTV.
I have also made chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, coffeecake and apple pie. If we were not all exercising more than usual this would not be necessary! :)
My next cooking escapade needs to involve beans and rice...
“On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.” | ― Chuck Palahniuk
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

I just purchased a 5 pound rib roast. I'll slow cook with potatoes, carrots, and onion. Then make gravy with the drippings. Sour dough and green beans round out dinner. Blueberry cobbler for desert. Sugar free. Now I'm hungry.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
birdog

Post by birdog »

Frozen pizzas, pastrami sandwiches, tacos and the occasional SPAM sandwich. Mmmm.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Tender breaded chicken cutlets & young vegetable crudites, accompanied by sauces pan-Asiatique & herbaceous creme Allemande.

a.k.a Chicken nuggets and baby carrots, with ketchup and ranch dressing for dippins' :P

Tomorrow perhaps I make the Louisiana Back-Bay Bayou Bunny Bordelaise, a la Antoine (Hold la Onions).
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

egg noodles with marinara sauce and artichoke hearts and parmesan cheese. Probably the same tonight so as to use up the rest of my pasta sauce.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Chile Adovada, a New Mexican dish of pork cubes braised in a red chile sauce.
Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 »

Last night we made a zucchini carbonara with heavy cream, pan fried bacon and freshly grated parmigiana reggiana.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Entrees this past week included:

Chuck Steak
Smoked bratwurst with Sauerkraut and potatoes
Split Pea Soup
Rotini with a Vodka Sauce and Salami
Thai Green Curry over rice
Chile Adovada Burritos

I am still on my mission to clean out the old stuff from my pantry and freezers and this downtime is proving to be a remarkable success.
shell921

Post by shell921 »

Split Pea Soup
Carrott-ginger soup
Currlied lentils over rice
Veggie tacos & burritos
Baked potatoes with vegan gravy
Rye bread sandwiches with chutney, red onion & swiss cheese & avocado
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

Last night I was looking forward to some grilled steaks, but they were Safeway steaks that had been properly thawed out from the freezer... I dunno...but they just didn't have much flavor. I miss visiting the Whole Foods a few times a week for fresh ingredients. Boo!

I made a basic bread recipe and the idea is that it lasts in the fridge for up to 14 days. Proportion it out each day (or so) and you have freshly baked bread. At the end of 14 days, you're not supposed to wash the container, but instead make another batch in it. Eventually, you have a sourdoughish flavor. When I pull out the proper amount for the day, i can add herbs or other flavors to make it different.

I did not know about putting a pan of water in the bottom of the oven, which makes steam, and creates a great crust. That was a game changer! I have no idea how that works.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

mrsbetsy wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:26 pm Last night I was looking forward to some grilled steaks, but they were Safeway steaks that had been properly thawed out from the freezer... I dunno...but they just didn't have much flavor. I miss visiting the Whole Foods a few times a week for fresh ingredients. Boo!

I made a basic bread recipe and the idea is that it lasts in the fridge for up to 14 days. Proportion it out each day (or so) and you have freshly baked bread. At the end of 14 days, you're not supposed to wash the container, but instead make another batch in it. Eventually, you have a sourdoughish flavor. When I pull out the proper amount for the day, i can add herbs or other flavors to make it different.

I did not know about putting a pan of water in the bottom of the oven, which makes steam, and creates a great crust. That was a game changer! I have no idea how that works.
It creates the equivalent of a steam-injected oven, making for a more humid baking environment. One can achieve a similar effect by baking the bread in a closed Dutch oven (cover on for 20 minutes, then off for forty to make a brown crust.)

It seems like everyone I know is trying sourdough, myself included. I've been busier than usual and haven't yet had a chance to do anything new or interesting, but I'm hoping to get some Indian spices in next week and work up some new recipes.
knightrider wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:51 pm Any tips for vegan pizza? Instead of cheese what can I put? I am not that interested in these processed nut based cheese alternatives. Looking for simpler things like avocado, pesto etc...
Slice onions thinly. Carmelize them in olive oil (low heat, at least 25 minutes). Slice some kalamata olives thinly. Roll out your pizza dough very, very thin -- think New Haven style apizza or New York thin crust. Brush dough with olive oil, top with olives and onions. Cook on preheated pizza stone at 500 to quickly cook the crust.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

livesoft wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:40 pm Each cookie is over 300 calories, so I need about 20 minutes on my trainer for one cookie. I ate 8 cookies yesterday, so I am way behind.

@sixtyforty, they turned out great (I think photo shows that). Even my family has said so. I left the walnuts out because I use those in my morning oatmeal.
8 of those would be more than my daily calorie intake😬😬

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Had green chile stew tonight, using a recipe from “the best of New Mexico kitchens” cookbook.

Most expensive part of the meal was probably the electricity used to cook it, because we got the meat for free from someone who was moving away, the roasted green chiles were bought months ago at half-off, and the potatoes and zucchini weren’t more than $2 total.

Ended up with probably 8 meals out of it.
DeskJumper

Post by DeskJumper »

One of my favorites: Hamburgers cooked with onions and mushrooms and then simmered in onion gravy with a splash of soy sauce. Mashed potatoes and a steamed veg on the side.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

White pizza. I followed the recipe here: White Pizza

Except:

- I used my own homemade pizza dough. I made this first, then starting on the toppings while the dough was rising. I didn't pierce the dough with a fork as the recipe suggested.

- 8 oz. part-skim mozarella. I don't think it's as good as whole-milk mozarella, but it's easy to shred with my mixer attachment.

- I really like garlic, so 6 cloves instead of 2. I used a garlic press.
- 2 Cups whole milk ricotta
- No basil - didn't have any
- Small handful of parsley flakes

Build up the edges of the pizza dough to contain any runoff from the ricotta.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:52 pm White pizza. I followed the recipe here: White Pizza

Except:

- I used my own homemade pizza dough. I made this first, then starting on the toppings while the dough was rising. I didn't pierce the dough with a fork as the recipe suggested.

- 8 oz. part-skim mozarella. I don't think it's as good as whole-milk mozarella, but it's easy to shred with my mixer attachment.

A good slice of white is delicious. Even in NY, a lot of places don't do a good job. I agree that lots of garlic is key.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Yes, it is. I think 6 cloves is about right.

The ricotta layer seemed to be a bit too thick. Next time, I'll cut down to 1-1/2 ricotta - but still use 6 cloves of garlic.

Also, the crust needs to be thin and a bit crisp. I'll roll the dough out thinner.

For a size reference, my pizza dough uses 3-1/4 cups of flour.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Pizza tonight on the propane grill. Just used the basics from Trader Joe's - dough ball, sauce, pepperoni, mozz, peppers, and olives. I preheat the grill with all 4 burners turned up to full blast, then I insert the pizza and lower the burners that will be directly under the crust to medium or lower. Takes about 4 minutes. Delicious!
yosemite_mountain

Post by yosemite_mountain »

rivendell wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:24 pm I have been baking bread and rolls for the past two weeks. Some efforts have been more successful than others! I had not done this for about 35 years so out of practice.
Also making casseroles from items in freezer, pantry and pasta. So far may family is eating these but I don't think I would win a chopped episode on HGTV.
I have also made chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, coffeecake and apple pie. If we were not all exercising more than usual this would not be necessary! :)
My next cooking escapade needs to involve beans and rice...
Sooo many carbs lol. Are you not worried about diabetes?
Texflier

Post by Texflier »

I’ve been watching a few YouTube channels and trying new things. Really enjoy Kenji Lopez-alt’s channel and have created a few things. Mostly breakfast sandwiches and omelette.
Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:52 pm White pizza. I followed the recipe here: White Pizza

Except:

It sounds like we are having White pizza for dinner tonight! :D
Thanks LadyGeek for the recipe and your tweeks on it. I will definitely use 6 cloves of garlic as well.
Skeeter1
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I haven't tried cutting down the ricotta to 1-1/2 Cups yet, so have 2 Cups ready and use your judgment.
1130Super

Post by 1130Super »

Bought a whole beef tenderloin for B-Day, trimmed it up nicely got a portion set aside some for stirfry and some medallions from the scraps. For the main center cut portion I got it marinated and going to wrap in bacon throw on the grill and slowly smoke for 3 hrs.

If you ever buy a beef tenderloin buy it untrimmed it cost about the same as a trimmed one but you get a couple extra meals from the ends and the scrap. YouTube great for help
Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:11 am ^^^ I haven't tried cutting down the ricotta to 1-1/2 Cups yet, so have 2 Cups ready and use your judgment.
Will do...Thanks :happy
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

Using up what's in my pantry and freezer this week:

Peanut butter noodles with garlic & sesame spinach (needed to use up some fresh spinach that was wilting)
Pan-fried chicken thighs with rice and kimchee
Semi-homemade spaghetti sauce with pasta - made enough sauce for a week's worth of meals (not a problem since I enjoy eating the same thing for several days in a row)

For dessert: jello mold with fruit (comfort food - I grew up in the 50s, and we had jello for dessert a lot) :D
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

This past week:

Pot Roast with Vegetables
Roasted chicken with a Brown Sugar garlic crust
Chicken Enchiladas
Hungarian Sausage and Potato Soup
Jambalaya
Roast chicken and Dressing with Cranberry Sauce
Pasta Salad with Feta Cheese and olives
Chicken Maafa, a West Indian inspired dish.

While we generally eat a lot more pork than chicken as it is leaner and less expensive, we were able to finally order poultry from our local market and scored a 6.5# roasting chicken which will provide us with 6-7 meals over the next week.
lessismore22

Post by lessismore22 »

Traeger in heavy use the last month. Incredible what that thing can do. We did a Greek flank roll tonight with a side of potatoes, onions, and carrots. All controlled from the WiFire app.
1130Super

Post by 1130Super »

1130Super wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:25 am Bought a whole beef tenderloin for B-Day, trimmed it up nicely got a portion set aside some for stirfry and some medallions from the scraps. For the main center cut portion I got it marinated and going to wrap in bacon throw on the grill and slowly smoke for 3 hrs.

If you ever buy a beef tenderloin buy it untrimmed it cost about the same as a trimmed one but you get a couple extra meals from the ends and the scrap. YouTube great for help
Worked out perfectly medium rare, wonderful birthday all I wanted was to babysit a piece of meat on the grill and a few beers
Teague

Post by Teague »

A batch of Cuban black bean soup. Well almost Cuban, as I'm told to be authentic it shouldn't contain any tomato product and I included a tablespoon of tomato paste. Top it with a little crema or sour cream, and good to go.

Currently marinating a brisket to be smoked tomorrow.
Semper Augustus
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Food labels usually contain recipes which use that product. They're nearly foolproof and easy to make. So, I read the labels.

Bush's "Grillin' Beans" Steakhouse Recipe had a chicken stir-fry recipe. I made the stir-fry, but left out the chicken. (Red pepper, onion, beans, rice)

I thawed out some chicken legs and marinated them in General Tso sauce. I baked them in the toaster oven at 400 deg F for 45 minutes ("Roast" setting). Why General Tso, as it doesn't match the baked beans? I had a jar in the fridge that needed to be used up.

After I made that, I realized that the left-over ricotta cheese from last week's white pizza should be used soon. Tomorrow will be Low-Fat Spinach and Ricotta Pasta Recipe (substitute whole milk for non-fat) It serves 6, so I'm expecting that to last a week.

I'm going to freeze the stir-fry. The freezer is full of leftovers at this point, so I'll be eating out of my freezer for the next few weeks.
Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 »

I made a Mongolian beef stir fry with scallions last night. Instead of soy sauce I used my secret (don't tell anyone) sauce, Mr Yoshida's .
So yummy.
The recipe called for using flat iron steak, which I have never tried, so I opted for an outside cut of skirt steak, which I find very tender. I also, use skirt steaks for fajita's which I will probably make next week.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Spaghetti and meatballs!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Skeeter1 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:33 am

Except:

It sounds like we are having White pizza for dinner tonight! :D
Thanks LadyGeek for the recipe and your tweeks on it. I will definitely use 6 cloves of garlic as well.
Skeeter1
To add subtle flavor to a white pizza, you can brush a bit of infused olive oil over the stretched dough before adding the toppings. I am partial to the garlic with rosemary olive oil from Bittersweet Herb Farm in MA.
birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood »

Turnip greens with cornbread. Cook greens in chicken broth, the Southern way. And Shawnee white cornmeal out of Oklahoma makes outstanding cornbread.
Caligal

Post by Caligal »

King Arthur Flour cheesy crisp pan pizza - toppings were a few slices of pepperoni, pepperoncini peppers and a little Cento Hoagie spread (after baking). KAF's 2020 recipe of the year. Arugula/grape tomato salad lightly dressed with olive oil/balsamic vinegar.

Kofta (mediterranean meatballs on skewers), israeli salad, tzatziki and maybe homemade pita or flatbread this weekend.

DH requests rice pudding.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I just made and devoured some "chickeny fried rice" for lunch. It had no chicken in it, but did use some chicken schmaltz I had saved from roasted thighs earlier in the week, and an egg. Plus leftover rice, veg, and sauce. Third time ever to make fried rice, and I think I know what I am doing now.
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

tooluser wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:18 pm I just made and devoured some "chickeny fried rice" for lunch. It had no chicken in it, but did use some chicken schmaltz I had saved from roasted thighs earlier in the week, and an egg. Plus leftover rice, veg, and sauce. Third time ever to make fried rice, and I think I know what I am doing now.
Chicken schmaltz + rice, mm-mm. One of the foods of the demi-gods.
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

I made Canadian Hot Dog soup. Substitute beans for corn and potatoes to keep the glycemic load down. I was able to use up milk and part of a jar of too-hot salsa.

It is easy, tasty and filling, but probably not the most healthful dish you could make.

Before April, I probably hadn't had hot dogs in 20 years. Why now? Because hot dogs were one of the few meats available locally.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Pan Sauteed or Pan Roasted Potatoes

5 pounds baking potatoes - scrubbed, leave skin on, cut into large thumb-nail size chunks (without cutting thumb nail :mrgreen:
5-6 onions - cut into half-rings or coarse chopped or both
1 pkg Lipton Onion Soup Mix
salt & pepper to taste

Use large saute or cook pan with higher sides.

Saute onions in margarine or butter with a dose of corn or olive oil - the margarine or butter browns the onions & the oil prevents burning. Saute onions until they start browning.

Sprinkle Lipton Onion Soup Mix packet onto onions in pan, mix well.

Add potato chunks to pan, mix well, add a little more margarine/butter & oil as needed and continue to cook med heat, covered, so potatoes cook but do not brown too quickly. Stir potatoes every few minutes to cook evenly until soft & done (about 20 min).

Gradually let the potatoes brown, uncovered, before stirring again (may need to increase heat to med high).

When potatoes are as brown as you want - they're done :D

Roasted potatoes keep well in refrigerator and can be very comforting when microwaved for a midnight snack :wink:
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Green lentils, brown rice, onions, pine nuts. Vege night
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Church Lady wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:43 pm Canadian Hot Dog soup.
Inquiring minds would like to know what makes the hot dog soup Canadian? :D

Googling the phrase brings up only a single link to this same thread.
Hot Dog Soup is a thing. Canada is a thing. I am familiar with Campbell's Canadian Pea soup (which is yellow, not green).

I had my own run-in with hot dogs early on. The selection around here has improved greatly since then. I did get to use up all but one can of chili though.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

This was a great recipe from Christopher Kimball's Milk Street - Chinese White-Cooked Chicken with Ginger-soy dressing:
https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/c ... ed-chicken

We've made this several times. We didn't have sherry or mirin so we substituted in some chardonnay. Super tasty and easy to make.
Wiki
GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Caligal wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:57 pm for mudpuppy:

good standard carrot muffin/cupcake - lots of ways to change it up discussed in the comment section

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... fins-15101
I just tried these. They are a real tour de force for muffins. Carrots, apple, coconut, raisins, pecans, cinnamon, vanilla. Wow. Excellent!
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

tooluser wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:58 pm

Hot Dog Soup is a thing. Canada is a thing. I am familiar with Campbell's Canadian Pea soup (which is yellow, not green).

I had my own run-in with hot dogs early on. The selection around here has improved greatly since then. I did get to use up all but one can of chili though.
I got the recipe from a Canadian channel on youtube. I haven't seen a similar hot dog soup recipe. Hot dog soup recipes abound, but not one like this. I call this Canadian to distinguish it from other hot dog soup recipes. I could call it Youtube Hot Dog Soup :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gu2MlpmT3Q
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
CrossOverGuy

Post by CrossOverGuy »

I baked some easy banana bread with things in my pantry. This can be modified to be made with other fruits, nuts (preferably chopped) and/or jams or fruit preserves you have at home.

Since I didn't have flour, I put oatmeal into the blender (or food processor) to grind into oat flour along with a ripe banana. Be sure to use a spoon or something to push oatmeal stuck on the side of the blender into the middle so it all gets ground into flour. This just takes 10-20 seconds or so. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a meatloaf-type pan, spray with Pam or another spray or coat with butter to keep the bread from sticking. In a bowl, pour the oatmeal/banana mixture into it. Add one egg, a dash of salt, 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sugar (or several tablespoons of honey). Add a few tablespoons of milk and/or greek or regular yogurt. I also had fig preserves, so I added 2 tablespoons. Since I don't have yeast or baking powder, I add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of vinegar to start the leavening process (it should start to fizz and bubble). If you have ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and/or pumpkin pie spice, add some too. Mix all this up, making sure everything is moist and wet, add to the pan and bake for 30 minutes, until you can put a knife in and it comes out solidly. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy.

I've made variations with peeled, cored and chopped apple, strawberry jam, chopped and/and pureed hazelnut or brazil nut butter, blueberry jam, chopped dates, etc. You don't have to put these into blender, just mixed them into the batter. The banana can also just be sliced and mixed into the batter as well, without being in the blender if you prefer it that way (or half blended and the other half mixed into the batter by hand).
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Church Lady wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:55 pm
tooluser wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:58 pm

I got the recipe from a Canadian channel on youtube. I haven't seen a similar hot dog soup recipe. Hot dog soup recipes abound, but not one like this. I call this Canadian to distinguish it from other hot dog soup recipes. I could call it Youtube Hot Dog Soup :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gu2MlpmT3Q
Thanks - very watchable! I'll probably make some at some point in the future.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

Lasagna tonight.
Pugs1351

Post by Pugs1351 »

https://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/ch ... -pan-sauce

This is a lemon chicken with artichokes. It’s one of the few meals all of my kids enjoy.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Tacos - Cheesy Ground Beef Tacos

Aside from using a hard-shell taco, there was a lot of water in the can of tomatoes. I cooked the mixture for another 20 minutes to boil it down.
BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 »

My husband made spicy fried chicken sandwiches and I made brioche buns to accompany them. They were a huge hit with our friends last night. :D
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig