So what are you cooking

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
black jack

Re: So what are you cooking

Post by black jack » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:07 am

Deep-dish pizza for dinner tonight (used an "Uno's pizza" recipe I found on Internet for the crust).

Made brownies for dessert: I find chocolate a great comfort these days (and all other days).

Last month Costco had a sale on frozen Norwegian farm-raised salmon, and I stocked up. Didn't know it would come in handy so soon; have been eating salmon three times a week this month, and will next month too. Sometimes life hands you lemonade.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:29 am

My wife and I are trying to get decent at making macarons. The first two attempts have been acceptible and if we take all of the good aspects of both batches and combine them for the next batch it would be near pro level IMO.

Other than that we ar upping our charcuterie game. Going to make a terrine this week and some more cured tuna soon too.

smectym

Post by smectym » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:28 am

Skeeter1 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:23 pm
Now that we are staying home and looking for ways to fill the hours DW and I have been cooking more. Sometimes we take turns making fun , practical items for each other and sometimes , like today, we combined efforts and made a delicious and healthy chili. Of course, I had to cut the onions! The result, a lot of yummy chili for the next few days.
So how about you, what have you been making?
Let's share ideas and have fun lifting each others spirit while boosting our immune system with nutritious yum.
OK, decadent sweets and desserts are allowed. :D
Check out Paul Prudhomme. The Cajun meatloaf is insane. So are the lamb chops. The guy is a genius

Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:19 am

DW and I had a nice (possibly decadent ) Sunday dinner. We had some uncooked tenderloin in the freezer left over from a previous party. Since we do not own a grill I decided to copy what I have seen on many cooking shows.
First I seasoned the meat with salt, Coarse fresh ground pepper and granulated garlic. We let the meat sit out for 30 minutes to allow it to reach room temperature before cooking.
I pulled out a heavy skillet and put butter in the pan (AS SEEN ON TV...lol.). Then I put the steak in and continually basted the meat with the butter in the pan. Never did it before and it was fun. Got a nice sear and crust on all sides. I used a digital thermometer and when it hit 125 F, I took it off and let it rest for 15 minutes. It was a perfect rare/medium rare.
In the meantime DW was busy sauteing portobello mushrooms with a wine reduction.
YUMMY.
After dinner I sliced the remaining meat into thin slices for meals for the next few days. Today I might make steak and eggs and separately, I am going to blend sour cream with horseradish for a sauce with the meat.
Bon Appetite.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:46 pm

Tonight was roasted salmon, cauliflower and baked potatoes.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:41 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:04 pm

I've never cooked a ham hock before, so I didn't know what to expect. I was disappointed at the lack of meat on the bone - it didn't look like the picture in the recipe. :confused So... I added a bunch of ham I had in the freezer and turned it into ham and black-eyed pea soup.

I would NOT recommend using ham hocks as anything more than a flavorant in the soup. If you want meat for your soup, you will generally do much better either using smoked pork neckbones or country ham. I think that the former will impart more flavor and will will generally have a lot more meat on them.

thecarrotfund

Post by thecarrotfund » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:56 pm

whaaat? recipe please
johan_s wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:52 pm
HawkeyePierce wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:46 pm
Pressure cooker pork shoulder. Rub the meat with honey, garlic, calabrian peppers, paprika and red pepper flakes. Put in a pressure cooker with a cup of broth plus a generous amount of chopped onions and sliced oranges. Cook under pressure for however long is necessary. Once done, shred with forks. Pan-fry until crispy before serving.
I just made a very similar stovetop version. Large chunks of pork shoulder, onion, orange, garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and a dollop of sweetened condensed milk. Simmer in water for about 90 minutes in a Dutch oven till water cooks off, remove bay leaf, and put into a screaming hot oven to fry in the remaining fat. Turns out amazing every time.
"not all storms are in the forecast"

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:49 pm

The ONLY thing that I am doing differently than normal is that I need to actually write out my menu each week as there are some things that I do NOT have access to as I will be homebound well into May and relying on friends to pick up my grocery orders.

This week's menu:

Monday Cincinnati Chili
Tuesday Caldo Verde with Linguista Sausage
Wednesday - Homemade pepperoni pizza
Thursday - Leftovers
Friday - Clam Chowder or Macaroni and Cheese
Saturday - Baked beans with sausage
Sunday - Beef - either a pot roast or braised beef cheeks

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:27 am

My freezer is starting to get a bit on the thin side, so I hope the grocery store is able to get the chicken part of my order for tomorrow. If so, I'll be making chicken barley soup tomorrow and chicken cacciatore later in the week. I have everything I need except the chicken, so fingers crossed that they have that in stock.

If they don't have chicken in stock, then I'll probably make lentil and quinoa soup tomorrow. It's been a while since I made that one though, so I'll have to dig up the recipe.

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:36 am

Rus In Urbe wrote: ↑Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:15 pm
A very large pot of black-eyed peas.
So comforting! --- and they are good luck too.

1 bag dry black-eyed peas
Water (see pkg instructions)
A large onion, diced, fried with 1/2 pound diced bacon or ham
Some salsa or a can of diced tomatoes
A few carrots, sliced into coins
Salt and hot sauce to taste

You can't mess this up. I add the carrots near the end of cooking, so they don't overcook.
A big pot can last you a few meals. Great with fresh cornbread on the side.

Some cook it with rice ("Hoppin' John) but where I come from, we take 'em straight.

Rus. :beer
LadyGeek » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:04 pm
Your post inspired me to try black-eyed peas. I did a variation as Black Eyed Peas Recipe (with Ham)

I've never cooked a ham hock before, so I didn't know what to expect. I was disappointed at the lack of meat on the bone - it didn't look like the picture in the recipe. :confused So... I added a bunch of ham I had in the freezer and turned it into ham and black-eyed pea soup.

One minor surprise was in the fine print: Serves 8 :shock: I'll eat what I can for the week, then freeze the rest.
:P LOL....Ham Hock. Yes, it's actually entirely for flavoring and was used when times were tough. Ham Hocks were the leftover and cheap. You put the ham hock in with the beans and got that smoky, ham flavor, but little meat. These days, yeah, good call, add some ham or bacon.

:P Serves 8....this entirely depends on how hungry you are AND how much you love black-eyed Peas.

For the past 25 years, we have made two gigantic pots (one vegan, one not) of them on New Year's Day and invited all neighbors, friends, family to come and have a bowl of them for good luck in the afternoon (good for hangovers too). My parents always did this and we've carried on the tradition. Those who can't come (the homebound, etc) get them delivered to their door in the evening. Beans are supposed to be good luck in a lot of traditions.....we're eating a lot of them right now, of all varieties! Hope they work!

Enjoy!
(and thanks again, Lady Geek, for all you do on this site).

Rus. :beer
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:33 am

CryingHawaiian wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:05 pm
Grandma is 95 years old and lived through the Great Depression and the attacks on Pearl Harbor while being in Hawaii. She passed on her war-time cooking skills so this week has been a steady mix of spam fried rice, corned beef hash, frozen/canned vegetables.

Don't knock it till you've tried it. :beer
Yes.
Onoliscious!
My dad, would be that age now if he were around, would also throw in cut up hot dogs, bacon, portuguese sausage slices, put all of that and the spam and the corned beef hash in a big pan and bake it. "Auwe!"

Poi dog.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:41 am

This afternoon late; chicken on my vintage weber charcoal grill. Cook today; eat what is cooked today and tomorrow as well. I love cooking out and having a couple cocktails. Just can't start too early! :beer Two weeks ago you couldn't find chicken, yesterday family packs of thighs and drum sticks were buy one, get one free with a limit of two!

johan_s

Post by johan_s » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:02 pm

thecarrotfund wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:56 pm
whaaat? recipe please
johan_s wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:52 pm
HawkeyePierce wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:46 pm
Pressure cooker pork shoulder. Rub the meat with honey, garlic, calabrian peppers, paprika and red pepper flakes. Put in a pressure cooker with a cup of broth plus a generous amount of chopped onions and sliced oranges. Cook under pressure for however long is necessary. Once done, shred with forks. Pan-fry until crispy before serving.
I just made a very similar stovetop version. Large chunks of pork shoulder, onion, orange, garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and a dollop of sweetened condensed milk. Simmer in water for about 90 minutes in a Dutch oven till water cooks off, remove bay leaf, and put into a screaming hot oven to fry in the remaining fat. Turns out amazing every time.

More importantly, both my mother and father in law love this recipe. I make it every time they visit. I love making a very acidic slaw with lots of lime juice and cilantro and a molcajete full of fresh guacamole. Then make some masa tortillas from scratch with the tortilla press. You will be the bell of the ball or the king of the castle. (Especially if you make some margaritas, good gin and tonics, or have a cooler full of ice and Negro Modelo.)

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... ork-364389

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:21 pm

I been using this time to dig through to back of my freezer and pantry.
Frozen lamb shoulder and year old pasta will be used tomorrow for a nice hearty lamb stew with pasta.

Gooch1226

Post by Gooch1226 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:07 pm

Turkey chilli in the crockpot as we speak . Cornbread about to go in the oven!

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:09 pm

Rus In Urbe wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:36 am
Ham Hock. Yes, it's actually entirely for flavoring and was used when times were tough. Ham Hocks were the leftover and cheap. You put the ham hock in with the beans and got that smoky, ham flavor, but little meat.
We get fairly meaty ones from our Amish market. Split pea soup from ham hock tonight for dinner.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:35 pm

Several days ago:. . DW and I.

Avocado Salad
Cornish Game Hens: baked
Steamed and Sauteed Broccoli flowers/ends.
Sautéed Mushrooms

Last week:

Garden Tomato Arugala Salad
Grilled MahiMahi Fillets
Saute popcorn Califlower
Steamed then grilled jumbo artichoke halves basted with garlic/olive oil sauce

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Slowtraveler

Post by Slowtraveler » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:39 pm

This is becoming my main meal now. Filling, relatively healthy and lots of vegetables. Quick to make and clean as well.

Fajitas tacos:

You'll need:
*3 bell peppers (1 green, 1 yellow or orange, 1 red)
*1 medium onion
* 5 cloves of garlic
* Mushrooms (the kind you put in pizza are great but any work)
* 1 medium tomato
* A tablespoon of oil
* Soy sauce

Also needed but don't touch until fajitas are cooked:
* Tortillas
* Avocados
*Chili (optional)

1) Wash your vegetables and cut everything into strips except the mushrooms and garlic. A series of vertical cuts is enough for mushrooms and garlic so they'll appear fat rather than long and skinny.

2) In a massive pan, grill 1 onion and 5 cloves of garlic in a spoon of oil on high heat until slightly golden. Stir often at this point to prevent burning.

3) Add in mushrooms and peppers and keep stirring often until they also begin to change color. Practice flipping the vegetables a few times if you can muster it.

4) Add in tomatoes and keep the occasional stir until they shrivel. By now, the ingredients in the pan should have shrunk to a smaller but still hefty amount. Add in soy sauce to taste when the bell peppers, onions, and garlic appear as bronzed as you'd like.

5) Turn off heat and warm some tortillas on low heat with occasional flips until they are soft and hot but not yet hard. As this happens, cut your avocados open and put about 1/6th of an avocado the long way along the center of the tortilla.

6) Move the fajitas then the chili into the tortillas and feast away.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:48 pm

pasta and peas - in honor of Clara:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuMkW35BwK8

It's all so surreal. The world has been forced to slow down and and just BE. That of course is the good part of all this. The rest is heartbreaking.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:46 pm

shell921 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:48 pm
pasta and peas - in honor of Clara:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuMkW35BwK8

It's all so surreal. The world has been forced to slow down and and just BE. That of course is the good part of all this. The rest is heartbreaking.
Oh wow! Thanks for posting this.

Very cool she is posting these videos - looks like a sweet grandma. Will check out to use some of my staples. :happy

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:37 pm

I have a routine since I have to pretty much use what I have in stock.

On Monday morning, I head to the pantry to determine what I have in stock with the intent of using up the stuff that has been there over one year. I come up with one entree per day for dinner and make sure that I have what I need each day.

On Tuesday, I text my friend with my order for fresh items that I need. She picks up at Walmart on Wednesdays and Kroger's later in the week.

I am trying to use up a lot of the canned goods, a few cans at a time until it is all gone.

The rest of the week:

Friday - Gorgonzola Macaroni and Cheese
Saturday - Upscale baked beans with smoked sausage
Sunday - Seared Elk Tenderloins over Polenta
Monday - Cream of pumpkin soup

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:52 pm

Anything I can grill/bake/cook on the barbecue. Pork. Lamb. Chicken. Veggies. Brownies.

The focus the past & next several days is grilling pizza. ✓✓✓
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:57 pm

Anyone have a good recipe for carrot cake or carrot-cake muffins? The grocery store substituted my order for a 2lb bag of carrots with a 5lb bag of carrots, and there's nary a carrot cake recipe to be found in my family cookbook.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:40 am

Just in case you haven't thought of it, have you considered carrot soup?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:45 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:40 am
We do carrot and tomato soup - roughly 50/50 by weight. Carrots add some body that you don't always get with just tomatoes.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:00 am

LadyGeek wrote:
I hadn't considered that. I had requested the carrots for my chicken barley soup and the lentil quinoa soup, but I don't think I've ever had carrot soup. As you can tell by the lack of carrot cake in the family recipe book, my parents and grandparents weren't too keen on certain food groups, so adulthood has been a culinary exploration. So I'd be interested in trying carrot soup. Do you have a favorite recipe?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:45 am

My late husband used to make it many years ago. Sorry, I don't know how he made it and can't recommend anything for you.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:56 pm

Breakfasts are easy and always the same -- juice, coffee, toasted English muffin, bacon or sausage.

Lunches are the main meal -- omelets, soups, lentils, hot and cold pork and beef roasts, salads

Suppers -- leftovers, sandwiches, occasionally tv dinners, fruit and dairy plates, cheeses, cold cuts, wine on weekends

Afternoon treats -- gingerbread, blueberry muffins, fruit cobblers, ice cream

Bedtime snacks -- cereal with fruit

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:15 pm

Just made a dish that is a marriage of two recipes.
Roasted butternut squash with an onion.
Cooked wild rice.
Dressing from a Cooks Illustrated recipe, as well as a few other of that recipes ingredients:
2T Pomegranate molasses
2T EVOO (called for 3T)
1/2t cinnamon
1/4t cumin

toasted pecans (they called for pistachios)
dried cherries (they called for golden raisins)

OK, that was delish.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:33 pm

InMyDreams wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:15 pm
Cooked wild rice.
Dressing from a Cooks Illustrated recipe, as well as a few other of that recipes ingredients:
2T Pomegranate molasses
2T EVOO (called for 3T)
1/2t cinnamon
1/4t cumin

OK, that was delish.
That looks very interesting. How did you prepare the squash and onion? Thanks.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:48 pm

Also inspired by a previous post in this thread, I will be making an ersatz Cincinnati chili 5-way tonight for dinner.
Elbow macaroni, canned chili with beans, diced onion, coarsely shredded cheddar cheese.
I will be serving it in an oval ramekin similar to the Cincinnati chili parlor style.
Why so many highway patrol in Ohio? Sheesh.

Mangas Coloradas

Post by Mangas Coloradas » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:12 pm

For all of you using ham hocks ... try to find some ham shanks ... much better in every way.

I've been making a big pot of lamb green chile stew .. (I live in New Mexico, what can I say?) The important thing with NM cooking is to not to try to "guild the lily" ... it is a cuisine based on sparseness and letting the natural flavors of meat, chile, onions, etc shine thru. People that dump cumin (comino) into every supposed "Mexican" dish should be shot (of course this includes all Texans ... ha ha ha! Just kidding!)

Here's a pretty accurate way to make it even though the bell pepper and the cilantro are "nueva cocina":
https://santafeschoolofcooking.com/Reci ... ndex.html

Feel free to substitute lamb shoulder (cheap and good in NM or chicken breasts even) .... The important thing is to not screw up on the green chile. If you can't get Hatch, NM green chile (the best choice even if frozen), then it is barely acceptable to use Anaheim or even Poblanos ....everybody's got one of those. Don't use that crap in cans ... roast your own over the grill or over your stove ... it's not hard.
Last edited by Mangas Coloradas on Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caligal

Post by Caligal » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:14 pm

margarita marinated steak fajitas
tomato, eggplant and fennel baked pasta
spanish chorizo, chicken and potato braise
moroccan lentils w/chili fried onions
david leite's chocolate disk (larger than chips) cookies
sauteed petrale sole w/easy tartar sauce
asparagus & pancetta frittata
baked feta w/chickpeas and kale

I have trained myself to go to the grocery store about every 10 days and work my way through the most perishable stuff first. I like to cook and was already pretty well stocked with tomatoes, legumes, flour, spices etc. but miss being able to use fresh fish/meats as I am not big on frozen.

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:38 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
I recently made a batch of roasted carrot & tomato soup. Roasted carrots, tomatoes, onion & garlic, pureed with a stick blender. It was too thick when made according to the recipe, so I thinned it with chicken stock.

Delicious. I froze some and just took out the last batch to thaw this morning, so carrot soup lunches this weekend.

csm

Post by csm » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:48 pm

black jack wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:07 am
Last month Costco had a sale on frozen Norwegian farm-raised salmon, and I stocked up. Didn't know it would come in handy so soon; have been eating salmon three times a week this month, and will next month too. Sometimes life hands you lemonade.
I love the Costco frozen Norwegian salmon and that's what we had tonight as well. We only had one filet left - for some reason, every package I buy comes with seven filets so there is often an odd single one left. It was a huge one though, so plenty to split between the two of us atop a big salad.

I just purchased a HotLogic Mini and wanted to test cooking with it, so I made the filet in it from frozen and it was perfectly cooked, even though it sat for a couple extra hours before it was time to make dinner.

Prepared a large salad with baby spinach and baby kale greens, sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, leftover steamed asparagus, unsalted mixed nuts, shredded carrots, couple chunks of fresh buffalo mozzarella. Then topped each plate with the warm salmon chunks. Excellent.

csm

Post by csm » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:51 pm

jebmke wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:45 am
LadyGeek wrote:
We do carrot and tomato soup - roughly 50/50 by weight. Carrots add some body that you don't always get with just tomatoes.
I've never made it myself, but years ago I had the best carrot and ginger soup on Delta airlines (in business class). Since then, I've occasionally found carrot and ginger soup at places like Trader Joe's - the 'homemade' type deli soups. It's a very tasty combo.

Caligal

Post by Caligal » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:57 pm

for mudpuppy:

good standard carrot muffin/cupcake - lots of ways to change it up discussed in the comment section

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... fins-15101

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:59 pm

Thanks for the carrot soup ideas (GreatLaker and csm). I'm still working on my black-eyed beans and ham soup. BTW, it's even better with a few generous dashes of Worcestershire sauce.

I have my eye on GiannaLuna's shrimp and lemon a la linguine (this post).

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:47 pm

Mangas Coloradas wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:12 pm
For all of you using ham hocks ... try to find some ham shanks ... much better in every way.
Ditto. They are labelled "smoked pork shanks" around me. Much more meat, same low price.
The ham hocks have more fat and connective tissue that will melt and add an unctuousness to the dish, but they usually have only one small "triangle" of meat.
I avoid smoked pork neck bones because they tend to liberate small flakes of bone into the dish.

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:51 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:00 am
As you can tell by the lack of carrot cake in the family recipe book, my parents and grandparents weren't too keen on certain food groups, so adulthood has been a culinary exploration. So I'd be interested in trying carrot soup. Do you have a favorite recipe?
Carrots are one of my favourite foods.

Here is a recipe. I only made it once so I can't call it a favourite, but it was good. It turned out too thick when made according to the recipe, so I thinned it with chicken stock. It may have been too thick because the Greek yogurt I used was very thick. I pureed it in the pot with an immersion blender. It freezes well.
https://www.lifemadedelicious.ca/recipe ... 3a0f6b24fa

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:21 pm

Tonight, for my wife, son, and daughter-in-law:

MaPa Tofu
Tiger Skin peppers
Hot and sour potato threads
Fried Rice
Scallion Pancakes, dipping sauce
Broccoli and tree ears

We have time on our hands, what better way than to cook up a storm!
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:30 pm

Brisket. Should be done in 17 hours or so.

JT

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:28 pm

tooluser wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:33 pm
InMyDreams wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:15 pm
Cooked wild rice.
2T Pomegranate molasses
2T EVOO (called for 3T)
1/2t cinnamon
1/4t cumin

OK, that was delish.
That looks very interesting. How did you prepare the squash and onion? Thanks.
One smallish butternut, cut into ~3/4" pieces. Sliced one onion (was supposed to be red, used sweet). 1 Tbl EVOO. Roasted at 425 for ~40". I have a shallow baking pan, lined it with parchment. Regret not using a cookie sheet - seemed a bit too steamed instead of roasted. Recipe called for 1t kosher salt. I used a scant teaspoon of coarse sea salt. I wished I hadn't. I'm trying to cut back salt, was never big on salt. The scant teaspoon was a distinct flavor note of its own instead of just blending in.

Just ate a left over portion at lunch. Still yummy - but I like a sweet-tart flavor, so it's made for me.

The dressing came from CI's Egyptian Barley Salad or some such. But it's an easy recipe to just use what appeals and is on hand.

I'm waiting to pull bread out of the oven...

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:43 pm

Thanks for the recipe suggestions everyone.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:16 pm

I am trying a new recipe for no-knead bread. I made the dough today and will let it rise overnight prior to baking. :happy

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:26 pm

You'll find a lot of no-kneed bread discussion (including mine) in: What have you baked recently?

nascar090210

Post by nascar090210 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:30 pm

Toast and bread sandwiches

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:37 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:26 pm
You'll find a lot of no-kneed bread discussion (including mine) in: What have you baked recently?
Cool - will check it out. I am trying a simple recipe (NY Times 2006) but the altitude here can be a factor in baking. Apparently there is a yeast shortage in my area but luckily I had some on hand. :happy

HanSolo

Post by HanSolo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:45 pm

I don't know how to cook, and I live in a hotel. So, no cooking here.

I go out for food. Many restaurants are closed, but some still have take-out. Grocery stores and 7-11 have some prepared foods and microwave meals.

Just wanted to make sure an alternate view is represented. Cheers....

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:07 am

Turkey pot pie - and I didn't use a can of condensed soup. Thought the filling (and sauce) were tasty. Pie crust needs (a lot) more work.