How are you supporting your community?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ge1

How are you supporting your community?

Post by ge1 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:26 am

Rather than talking about the market turmoil, I was curious in what ways bogleheads are supporting their community in this difficult time?

We are still getting take outs from our local restaurants and I started to tip generously. To my surprise my hair dresser was still open today and I tipped her generously as well. Our cleaner is older so my wife and I discussed that we should tell her she shouldn‘t come (she comes every other week), but we will pay her anyway and leave her pay in the mailbox.

Any other ideas?

Northster

Re: How are you supporting your community?

Post by Northster » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:32 am

I gave some to local food bank. Also see that local United Way claims to have a group of local charities that support virus-related needs. Open to other ideas.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:32 am

Going to work and mobilizing the folks/resources/etc, appropriately to support the community in the healthcare facility I work for.

Also, not hoarding food, TP and other essentials.

Speckles

Handmade Facial Masks - Effectiveness and Specs

Post by Speckles » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:08 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

If we had unlimited sugical masks, we'd ask everyone to wear facial masks in public to prevent spreading disease. I found two peer-reviewed papers from 2008 and 2013 that suggest homemade facial masks could be an effective intervention to slow the spread of viral infection, albeit less effective than commercial products. Links are:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440799/
and
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals ... F35F819D55

The NIH paper concludes:
"Any type of general mask use is likely to decrease viral exposure and infection risk on a population level, in spite of imperfect fit and imperfect adherence, personal respirators providing most protection."

Those handy with a sewing machine and can turn these out from home for themselves and others. Many patterns on internet, but I have not found any work identifying design criteria, best practices for improving effectiveness or detailed instructions.

I've proposed that our local government review and consider recommending the public wear homemade facial masks in public to "flatten the curve" (e.g., especially grocery store workers, take-out food workers, delivery services). It would be optimum if this advice came through official channels, rather than "someone on the internet". Would also be optimum if there was guidelines sharing best practices for making handmade masks - and that's the actionable part of this posting.

This thread is intended to share information on how to make the most effective homemade mask, especially any peer-reviewed technical information (or insights from engineers at 3M?). I'll start.

1. Performance criteria -
- Optimal reduction in virus transmission. Corona virus is about 0.1 micron size.
- Comfort (fits well, not too hot)
- Minimal reduction in ability to see (e.g., doesn't fog glasses or creep up to cover eyes)
- Minimum pressure drop (a.k.a. breathability), so it does not make it difficult to breath

2. Improving effectiveness
- There is some literature suggesting that non-woven materials are optimal for reducing transmission of viruses
- some sort of nose-piece seems to improve fit and reduce leakage around the mask

As an engineer and someone handy with a sewing machine, it feels like a small something to do during these stressful times.

Thanks in advance to all who contribute ideas.
Specks

Blue456

Re: Handmade Facial Masks - Effectiveness and Specs

Post by Blue456 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:26 pm

Speckles wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:08 pm
If we had unlimited sugical masks, we'd ask everyone to wear facial masks in public to prevent spreading disease. I found two peer-reviewed papers from 2008 and 2013 that suggest homemade facial masks could be an effective intervention to slow the spread of viral infection, albeit less effective than commercial products. Links are:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440799/
and
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals ... F35F819D55

The NIH paper concludes:
"Any type of general mask use is likely to decrease viral exposure and infection risk on a population level, in spite of imperfect fit and imperfect adherence, personal respirators providing most protection."

Those handy with a sewing machine and can turn these out from home for themselves and others. Many patterns on internet, but I have not found any work identifying design criteria, best practices for improving effectiveness or detailed instructions.

I've proposed that our local government review and consider recommending the public wear homemade facial masks in public to "flatten the curve" (e.g., especially grocery store workers, take-out food workers, delivery services). It would be optimum if this advice came through official channels, rather than "someone on the internet". Would also be optimum if there was guidelines sharing best practices for making handmade masks - and that's the actionable part of this posting.

This thread is intended to share information on how to make the most effective homemade mask, especially any peer-reviewed technical information (or insights from engineers at 3M?). I'll start.

1. Performance criteria -
- Optimal reduction in virus transmission. Corona virus is about 0.1 micron size.
- Comfort (fits well, not too hot)
- Minimal reduction in ability to see (e.g., doesn't fog glasses or creep up to cover eyes)
- Minimum pressure drop (a.k.a. breathability), so it does not make it difficult to breath

2. Improving effectiveness
- There is some literature suggesting that non-woven materials are optimal for reducing transmission of viruses
- some sort of nose-piece seems to improve fit and reduce leakage around the mask

As an engineer and someone handy with a sewing machine, it feels like a small something to do during these stressful times.

Thanks in advance to all who contribute ideas.
Specks
Read this:
https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577

Misenplace

Re: Handmade Facial Masks - Effectiveness and Specs

Post by Misenplace » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:48 pm

This topic is locked because, although interesting, it has no financial component and is off topic for the forum. In addition, medical advice is also off topic for the forum.

[See below -- admin LadyGeek]

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:03 pm

OP,

My wife and I are volunteering at the local Food Bank and ai am donating blood. Red Cross has been hounding me for months which ticked me off but time to get over myself.

Doubled our charitable giving through our DAF, might have to figure a way to replenish before QCDs start at 70.

Lastly we are big Fans of the NextDoor app and have been using that to help shop ( or get a few things we need) and minimize exposure.

WoodSpinner

JBEB

Post by JBEB » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:06 pm

im helping by staying in

....and take out

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:59 pm

After receiving a PM, we have unlocked and merged the Handmade face mask thread into a similar discussion. The combined thread is in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (how you spend your money and your time).

Please stay focused on helping your community.

General coronavirus comments are here: Bogleheads community discussion - Coronavirus

Preparations are here: Coronavirus (Consumer Issues) How you are preparing?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:00 pm

Practicing full-up social distancing.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:08 pm

Grocery shopping. I take orders by text message, glove and mask up, and go once a week for several neighbors who should definitely not be going out at all, including one who is currently sick. I leave the bags at their door, and they Venmo the money to me.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:09 pm

Today...take out lunch with large tip and seasonal buying from a local small business. They had me insert my CC and pull it out (like grocery stores do). No receipt.

Minimal to no contact. I'm good with that for awhile.

sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:32 pm

1. Not hoarding and buying what I need for 2 or 3 days at my local grocery store
2. Buying take out food from local restaurants
3. Donating half my stimulus check(when we get it) to animal shelter and local food center.

terran

Post by terran » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:16 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:08 pm
Grocery shopping. I take orders by text message, glove and mask up, and go once a week for several neighbors who should definitely not be going out at all, including one who is currently sick. I leave the bags at their door, and they Venmo the money to me.
Very cool of you. Make sure you keep receipts in case Venmo decides to 1099 you.

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:29 pm

Donation to local food pantry in lieu of the usual volunteering (as the volunteer program has been temporarily suspended). Checking in with elderly neighbors by phone or text before making grocery runs, or simply to chat, to counteract the sense of isolation. Wanted to donate blood, but recent travel to a country with malaria has made that impossible currently. May try to find another active volunteer opportunity (food bank) if any exists.

Someone mentioned the NextDoor app, which I love (it has been an amazing source of useful information lately, e.g. which stores still have what stocked, etc.) I have been greatly touched to see the outpouring of support for one another in my neighborhood, in particular, younger people (20s-30s) volunteering to make free grocery/pharmacy runs for any older or otherwise vulnerable neighbor (a la quantAndHold above, bless you for doing this!!), free dog walking for the same individuals, etc. This is in NYC, a place where people traditionally pull together in times of crisis (despite our reputation for being cold/unfriendly). It's seeing things like this that give me 1) hope for humanity, and 2) hope that we will all get through this together.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:33 pm

Call_Me_Op wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:00 pm
Practicing full-up social distancing.
Which is easy when you're in full blown self-quarantine mode, which we are.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:40 pm

I hate to admit that I'm in the high risk group - 67 years old, type II diabetic. I've always had a good immune system, but who knows what will happen with this virus.

So...

1) I'm minimizing my contact with the outside world. I figure the best thing I can do for my community is not get sick. If I'm not sick, I won't use medical resources which someone else needs, and I won't be spreading the virus to anyone else.

2) I'm boosting my Donor Advised Fund and making sure that I donate to the charities which help the people in my community.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

kacang

Post by kacang » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:22 pm

I have made and worn cloth masks, with the understanding that they will not give the same level of protection as N95 masks, but could protect against large droplets if used properly.

Here's my tutorial for how to make it. If you want the pdf, pm me.
https://imgur.com/a/1JQGGZD
Mine is based on the mask on Craft Passion blog, with some mods. Her blog is here:
https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

My mods are:
- Added a ribbon insert at the center top. A 5" double-wired twist tie is sturdy enough as a nose-wire for better fit
- Added a bottom slot for easier insertion of filter. Craft Passion inserted a surgical mask from the side. I don't have any surgical mask.

I read about the use of tissue paper/dried wipe as a filter from a Taiwanese doctor's Facebook post. FB post is in Chinese, here's an English report.
https://mothership.sg/2020/02/taiwanese ... face-mask/

I like that it's is washable, with removable "filter" and fits well around my face with my mods. Chose cotton and muslin because they are breathable and not too hot.

In addition, CDC guidelines on alternative mask strategies has 2 informative links
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... egies.html
- How to make a simple mask:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3373043//
- Comparison of fabric materials for cloth masks
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20584862

nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:35 pm

Son and his family donated blood today. Wife is making masks to help our local hospital with material they provided. I am preparing a Sunday school lesson to post on Facebook to help keep or church connected during this strange time.
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 2018 no. 175 2019 no. 144 6 year average 157.83. Proves I am just an average investor.What do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."

9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:49 pm

The bottom line is that those who still have paychecks or in general the means to do so need to keep spending as they normally do, to whatever extent that is possible, even if they are not receiving the services or are pre-paying for future services rendered. That will be one important leg of the stool keeping businesses afloat in addition to whatever measures governments and charities are undertaking.

Buy gift cards, buy things online, send money direct to providers via Venmo, visit businesses that remain open if safe to do so.

Blue456

Post by Blue456 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:52 pm

kacang wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:22 pm
In addition, CDC guidelines on alternative mask strategies has 2 informative links
CDC is not a credible source of information. I would do my own research before entertaining their guidelines.

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:37 pm

Blue456 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:52 pm
kacang wrote:
CDC is not a credible source of information. I would do my own research before entertaining their guidelines.
Why do you say that? Do you have evidence that this is misleading information? Can you provide links to more reputable sites?
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

Blue456

Post by Blue456 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:45 pm

MN-Investor wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:37 pm
Blue456 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:52 pm
kacang wrote:
Why do you say that? Do you have evidence that this is misleading information? Can you provide links to more reputable sites?
I would probably look into Chinese and South Korean studies on this issue as opposed to CDC. Our center for disease control has failed us in the job that their acronym stands for. Additionally they have made nothing else but a joke out of themselves by suggesting the use of surgical masks and later on bandannas for current Corona virus. I would double check information with 3rd party sources before I go by their recommendation.

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:47 pm

1) Checking in with elderly neighbors before we go to the grocery store/Costco/hardware store.

2) Searched through all our home maintenance supplies and came up with a couple boxes of particle masks that we're either going to give the local hospital or police dept.

3) Picking up litter on our open space trails that are seeing in a great increase in use.

Stay healthy everyone!

avenger

Post by avenger » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:07 am

Bought 2 $100 gift cards for local restaurant we love.
Carry out from other restaurants.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]

nps

Post by nps » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:24 am

For those who posted that they stockpiled N95 masks, are any of you considering donating them to local hospitals?

Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:44 am

nps wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:24 am
For those who posted that they stockpiled N95 masks, are any of you considering donating them to local hospitals?
For all the stockpiling people have done, I haven’t seen anyone actually wear a mask in public.

GeMoney

Post by GeMoney » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:11 am

I continue to volunteer at a non-profit that delivers groceries to approx 1200 seniors living in low income housing. We are down 2/3rd of our regular volunteers as many are in the high risk category. We wear gloves, masks and try to maintain social distancing. The organization was designated as "essential services" but I don't want to imagine what would happen if we have to temporarily cease operations due to the shelter in place order.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:39 pm

I've heard discussions about buying gift cards from local restaurants and retailers to help them thru these hard times.

And today there was a discussion about how damaging this may be to public transit - ridership is down in many places and they were underfunded in the first place.

So, I was thinking, if I receive stimulus monies from the gov, I might just buy bus tokens, and give them to a local charity to give to their clients.

Topic Author
ge1

Post by ge1 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:44 pm

Lots of good ideas everybody, keep them coming!

Very impressed by the generosity of the people on this forum - but then again I‘m not surprised.

Keep it up, there are a lot of people / businesses out there who need our support.

Speckles

Post by Speckles » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:46 pm

kacang wrote:
I have made and worn cloth masks, with the understanding that they will not give the same level of protection as N95 masks, but could protect against large droplets if used properly.

Here's my tutorial for how to make it. If you want the pdf, pm me.
https://imgur.com/a/1JQGGZD
Moab Hospital in UT has asked the public to make cotton facial masks for EMS. For those who are skilled with sewing, it's not too early to start planning for your local needs. As Kakang observed, CDC is recommending cloth masks as a last resort for health care providers. I'd love to be wrong, but we've needed everything yesterday so far.

https://www.canyonlandquilts.com/make-a-mask.htm

Kacang - I'd be interested in your opinion on the mask pattern from Moab. Maybe try making one and post?

Specks

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:31 pm

terran wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:16 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:08 pm
Very cool of you. Make sure you keep receipts in case Venmo decides to 1099 you.
Good thinking.

The sick neighbor is finally improving. Once she’s out of quarantine, she’s going to take over some of the shopping.

My wife, a quilter, is using her fabric stash to make masks. One of our friends is a hospital chaplain, and her hospital doesn’t have enough masks for the nonmedical staff. so my wife is filling the void.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

kacang

Post by kacang » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:31 pm

Speckles wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:46 pm
https://www.canyonlandquilts.com/make-a-mask.htm
Kacang - I'd be interested in your opinion on the mask pattern from Moab. Maybe try making one and post?
Interesting. Moab probably has reviewed the design and deemed it suitable for their use.

From watching the Youtube, I probably won't make this mask for my personal use. It seems the batting may retain heat & makes it uncomfortable to wear for long period. Perhaps the hospital need the batting to give it structure and to act as an additional filter. I don't have any batting at hand, so can't test my hypothesis.

masteraleph

Post by masteraleph » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:53 pm

We donated to a GoFundMe for the workers at our favorite restaurant- it's a lovely, wonderful small restaurant, independently owned, and had to lay off its staff because there's just no way it can afford to pay salaries with nothing coming in.

fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:36 am

Doing take out from restaurants and breweries more than we would otherwise.

staustin

Post by staustin » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:49 am

We're offering to help elderly friends and neighbors, continuing to pay the nice lady and her team that clean our our (even though we have suspended service until this is all sorted), ordering takeout from local restaurants and finding other ways to contribute time and money here and there.

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:06 am

Bought a two hundred fifty dollar gift certificate from a local restaurant group. One hundred dollars will go to support the group’s employees. One hundred dollars can be used at the restaurants. Fifty dollars will be split between two local charitable groups.

Took take out food from one of the above group’s restaurants and gave a large tip.

Will be doing my usual volunteering next week on food pickup from local markets providing there is enough. This week the normal six days a week our organization picks up has been reduced to two because the markets have very little food to donate.

SGM

Post by SGM » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:56 am

We hired the son of a farm employee while he is home during the virus problem. He will be cleaning an old barn.

We continue to allow an essentially orphaned retarded man with suicidal tendencies and medical issues to live free in a very small apartment whenever he is let out of the hospital. When he reports suicidal statements we call 911. We arranged for him to receive food stamps and social security disability. He is no longer able to work or drive. He has been cheated out of his car.

We allow some friends to walk the farm as the local parks are quite crowded and they want to increase their social distancing and still exercise.

We rarely go out in public and don't shop until we run out of certain essentials.

We monitor an elderly lady who lives in a cabin next to the house. We will buy a rotisserie chicken which will last her a week. I give her yesterday's paper and pick her mail up for her daily.

It is not much, but I cannot go back to work, even though I still have a license to do so.

I no longer go out for coffee, but a friend brings over home brewed hot coffee in the morning and we sit outside on a heated porch with views of the sunrise and lots of trees.

I have given a friend venison pepper sausage bologna that supplied him and his wife 3 breakfasts last week. They live in an a community for the elderly and the cafeteria is shut down. They enjoyed it so much I will give him some additional bologna this Saturday.

Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:11 am

Continuing to buy from local business, especially restaurants.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:36 am

Maybe obvious for those eligible, but I used QCDs (qualified charitable contribution from required minimum distribution from IRA) to donate to Food Bank, UW etc.

notPatience

Post by notPatience » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:01 am

First thing is I'm strictly quarantining after returning from UK.

Also doing the restaurant delivery stuff, but it got me thinking....

I'm self-employed, regularly hiring folks operating on the gig economy. We can all work online/from home, but only if the work is there.

I've reached out to my folks to see how they are, offering to move up projects if they need the work now or straight-out advances. A few are taking me up on it, including one who's sent his employees home, but is continuing to pay them while he does that work. I figure my helping him spreads to all those people.

Also reaching out to my yoga studio owner to see about purchasing annual membership early to help a bit with bridging this period.

Thinking of more people/areas where I might be able to help folks...

FunnelCakeBob

Post by FunnelCakeBob » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:43 am

I'm ordering quite a bit of takeout from my favorite neighborhood restaurant.

Gonna take the bike to the local bike shop to be serviced. And finally get some needed outdoor exercise.

Taking the car to the local mechanic instead of the import specialist for some routine work.

Walking to the neighborhood grocery store instead of driving to the big box stores. The smaller shops are much better stocked.

manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:28 am

Ping Pong wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:44 am
nps wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:24 am
For all the stockpiling people have done, I haven’t seen anyone actually wear a mask in public.
It’s not apocalypse time, yet

MICKFI

Post by MICKFI » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:17 am

1. Ordering more take out at restaurants.
2. Bought a bunch of $5 gift cards from a local favorite fast food restaurant. We leave one on our porch with a note of appreciation for the delivery guys.
3. Continue to give to our local church even with in-person services cancelled.
4. Plan to be even more generous with tipping once we get back to normal life for restaurants and services. We will eat out more for the first few months to help the recovery.
5. Monitor neighborhood facebook page to assist neighbors in need.
6. Communicate our appreciation more to service workers we encounter - limited during this social distancing.
7. Scheduling services for work - mulching, power washing the house, etc.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:00 am

I live in an HOA that surrounds Salishan a golf course and resort lodge hotel. The hotel staff and grounds crew was laid off except for the Course Superintendent. The resort is allowing the members of the golf course to still play golf (walking only - no carts - honoring social distancing). I came up with idea to "Adopt-a-Hole" where volunteers maintain the sand bunkers (weeding and raking) and tee boxes (repairing divots and picking up broken tees) just so the Course Superintendent is not overwhelmed with work and to show our appreciation for what the crew has done for us in the past and will do for us in the future once the crew is rehired.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

abyan

Bogleheads, I have a patriotic ask of you

Post by abyan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:15 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

So a fellow lawyer friend reached out and asked me if I had any advice for how we can help all the medical caregivers around the country helping with the Covid-19 battle. Specifically, he told me he's heard from a number of young doctors, nurses, etc who have never really considered dying young, and now, after seeing what's happening in Italy, are worrying about having their financial affairs in order, just in case, and aren't sure where to even start. I'm wondering if we could pool some advice that I can share online, far and wide. I think what they're looking for is overall advice, maybe even a check list of sorts, such as:

1. Set up a will, how, can I use online services, or hire a lawyer, and if so, for how much.
2. Check your bank accounts and retirement accounts to see if they let you put down a beneficiary.
3. Somehow ensure people can access your accounts and computer/phone just in case you fall ill or die.
4. How to pay the bills if you're sick or gone, what bills are there?
5. Do you have a pet? How does someone take care of it -- feeding, who's the vet, medical history, etc?

I'm just spit-balling here with that list. Basically, the kind of thing a 20-something or 30-something might ask -- or any of us -- when they never really contemplated their mortality before, but now are worried about making sure their immediate family, pets, bills, etc are taken care of if they get sick, or worse, die.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

monkey_business

Re: Bogleheads, I have a patriotic ask of you

Post by monkey_business » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:27 pm

The chance of death for this demographic is incredibly small, unless serious preexisting conditions are present. Making young medical professionals, some of whom are already anxious and stressed out, worry about dying right now is not productive, IMO. I would avoid sending any such lists and instead, if you wish to help, focus on taking care of yourself and those around you. Those that want to put together a will or anything else can figure it out on their own without seeing "Are you ready to die?" emails/posts headed their way.

abyan

Post by abyan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:27 pm

Well, as I already stated, they're already worried. So we can either respond to their request for help, or tell them they're being silly. I prefer to be helpful :)

Also, it's just a really good idea to help folks think through a list of things they ought to be doing to have their financial affairs in order, for any age. It's easy to preface our response with an explanation that people below a certain age are in very low risk of dying.

veggivet

Post by veggivet » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:37 pm

Medical professionals, regardless of age, are at high risk of infection just by the nature of their work in this situation. Even under the best circumstances, where PPE supplies are abundant, doctors and nurses can be exposed to large viral loads during intubation procedures. They are also likely to be fatigued. On top of that, many retired health care professionals have answered the call to go back into the trenches to fill staffing gaps. These brave people are at an even higher risk of developing potentially life threatening complications given their age. On the bright side, those in this demographic are much more likely to have their 'papers in order'. Kudos to the OP for considering this aspect of this health crisis.

Bottom line, many perfectly healthy, relatively young doctors and nurses have succumbed to COVID-19, and many more will die in the coming weeks.
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves.

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:54 pm

The most helpful thing you can do for these medical professionals is listen to them and stay in your house if at all possible.

Stopping the spread will be much more appreciated on potentially overwhelmed medical professionals assisting those already infected or in need of medical assistance.

Not to detract from the OP, but wanted to put it out there.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.