Generosity in the time of Coronavirus

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
HEDGEFUNDIE

Generosity in the time of Coronavirus

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:43 pm

The thread on paying your house cleaner even if they aren’t cleaning is an encouraging sign. Those of us who are fortunate to still have well paying jobs should be thinking about how to help.

I have a rental property that is occupied by a bartender couple whose bar just shut down. They are now on unemployment. I just called them today to let them know I will be waiving their rent for the next three months.

What other acts of generosity is the Boglehead community engaged in during these trying times?

Summit111

Re: Generosity in the time of Coronavirus

Post by Summit111 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:13 pm

In addition to continuing the cleaning crew monthly fee, We plan to donate any “Government issued stimulus checks” to others in need...

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

spectec

Post by spectec » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:17 pm

My wife and I were discussing this when we first heard of the stimulus checks. We will definitely use them to purchase items needed by elderly church members or others in need. Might even decide to take a few pictures and do Facebook challenges. Not for personal recognition but to hopefully inspire others to do the same.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:17 pm

Bravo! I’ll be looking for other opportunities to help out. Cribbing a suggestion I read yesterday, I’m hoping to buy a gigantic gift card to my favorite local mom and pop sandwich shop that is really hurting.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:22 pm

A local pizza place is taking donations to deliver free meals to those in need. I sent some money their way today.

I've started maxing out my employer's charitable donation match. First up was a local low-income health clinic. I might finish that off with a donation to the food bank.

And yes, I'm still paying my cleaning service. :)

My job is stable and I haven't taken a financial hit (yet) beyond my portfolio. If I get a government check of some kind I'll donate it.

camillus

Post by camillus » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:25 pm

Paid the housecleaner, yes. Basically, we are going to try to balance the same amount of economic activity with local small businesses.

That being said, I do feel a little wary about being super generous right now, whereas this thing could last a lot longer and get way worse. I want to be able to save and perhaps hold back a bit so that I can really give when authentic, desperate needs materialize.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:46 am

We are going to continue to pay for the local services that we use for us or our children in some form or other in the hope that these services will become available again in our community once this passes.

Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:18 am

We are not commuting, and are giving that cost savings to a food bank.

crg11

Post by crg11 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:33 am

We're still paying our child's preschool, even though we pulled her from it a week ago. Sadly not enough to prevent most of the teachers from having a layoff, but we're continuing to support the school since we have the means.

I'm also paying my gym membership even though I stopped attending a week ago as well to support the owners and coaches. They are posting daily workouts to do at home and I care about these people deeply.

Also buying takeout a couple of times a week to try and help other local businesses keep afloat.

cs412a

Post by cs412a » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:20 pm

Just scheduled my blood donation for next Tuesday.