Tipping in the time of Coronavirus

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Nutmeg

Tipping in the time of Coronavirus

Post by Nutmeg »

I ordered groceries for delivery for the first time today. It is possible I will order takeout restaurant meals or takeout cappuccino , which someone would bring to my car, someday soon. The jobs of these employees have just become more dangerous.

What do you recommend for tip amounts in these situations?
Normchad

Re: Tipping in the time of Coronavirus

Post by Normchad »

I really dislike tipping. But, if I can do something small that helps people out, I’ll do it. A lot of these folks are struggling, so I’ll be tipping generously.
lessismore22

Post by lessismore22 »

Normchad wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:14 pm I really dislike tipping.
I was a bartender in college and learned invaluable lessons that have helped me throughout my career. At $4.25/hr, I would have never been able to make it without tips.

I was a generous tipper(20%+) pre-coronavirus, and plan to increase that.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Yes, tip. 20% Keep the economy going. :beer
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
camillus

Post by camillus »

We bumped our Instacart tip up as “hazard pay.”
51% US / 34% ex-US / 15% “bond”
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

Although I've come to dislike the American tipping system more and more over time, I still recognize that service workers depend on them, so I think it's important to consider them hidden costs of our service economy until it changes and they get paid living wages. Therefore, I always estimate 20% and then round up to the nearest dollar (sometimes down if I'm just barely over and I think the meal or whatever was overpriced to begin with). I think that's fairly generous, so I don't see the need to adjust it now. If anything, I'd rather use any extra funds for targeted charity or donations to people facing unusual adversity.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I'm tipping more these days.
inverter

Post by inverter »

Have also increased my tipping.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Nutmeg wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:07 pm I ordered groceries for delivery for the first time today. It is possible I will order takeout restaurant meals or takeout cappuccino , which someone would bring to my car, someday soon. The jobs of these employees have just become more dangerous.

I never tip. Nothing has changed. I expect employers that I do business with to pay a competitive wage.
Topic Author
Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

Trader Joe wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:46 pm
Nutmeg wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:07 pm I ordered groceries for delivery for the first time today. It is possible I will order takeout restaurant meals or takeout cappuccino , which someone would bring to my car, someday soon. The jobs of these employees have just become more dangerous.

I never tip. Nothing has changed. I expect employers that I do business with to pay a competitive wage.
I plan to tip something for my upcoming grocery delivery, so my question is not “whether” but “how much.” 20% seems appropriate for wait staff, who helped my group for hours and depends on tips, but seems high for grocery delivery.

More thoughts?
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

Of course since you are a person of integrity you walk out of the business when you find out they don't.
AA: 40/41/19 - equities/positive return-zero volatility/bonds
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We are trying to be generous these days.
Especially for small amounts like tips, chances are that it is a much larger "plus" to them than it is a "minus" to us.

Also, we just picked up a bunch of *new* singles from our bank, for two purposes.
We don't want to be handling paper money these days. (It's never "clean", but "now" IS different.)

First, for tips.
Second, if there are ever small purchases where cash is needed, we'll just give out the number of singles needed, and tell the clerk/etc., to "keep the change, please".

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
drk

Post by drk »

Trader Joe wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:46 pm I never tip. Nothing has changed. I expect employers that I do business with to pay a competitive wage.
Expect, or verify?
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

Yes another tipping thread. Since having kids I don't really do much that involves tips. Haircuts. Not sure what else. In the time children I once estimated how much I tipped (generously) as a fraction of my net worth. I was embarassed at the result. Like .0005%. Given that many of us on this forum will have more money than we can ever spend, it's probably not a big deal to give a few extra dollars to people who really need it. Just an opinion not a fact.
k1982

Post by k1982 »

I been working for tips for the past 15 years off and on.

If you order pizza delivery etc and don't have at least $2 please don't waste our time.
Just pick it up.

100% of the delivery fee goes to the store (we don't get any of that) to pay our $4.73/hourly and we get reimbursed for mileage every 2 weeks on our paycheck.

I can't believe there are Bogleheads here that don't tip. i'm disgusted by people like you.

if you aren't a generous tipper ($3-$5) no matter how small or big the order is...be courteous and just drive you 50k car and pick it

i don't go by 20% rule. that is silly
if you order $100 i NEVER expect 20 dollar bill. that is too much. i'm happy with $4-$6
be fair and treat others with respect.
everyone has bills and has to do side hustles
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

k1982 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:54 am I been working for tips for the past 15 years off and on.

If you order pizza delivery etc and don't have at least $2 please don't waste our time.
Just pick it up.

100% of the delivery fee goes to the store (we don't get any of that) to pay our $4.73/hourly and we get reimbursed for mileage every 2 weeks on our paycheck.

I can't believe there are Bogleheads here that don't tip. i'm disgusted by people like you.

if you aren't a generous tipper ($3-$5) no matter how small or big the order is...be courteous and just drive you 50k car and pick it

if you order $100 i NEVER expect 20 dollar bill. that is too much. i'm happy with $4-$6
Thanks for a real answer to the question.

I'm always at a loss on tipping. We're waiting for a $200 major supermarket grocery delivery, service charge $17.84 (no idea how determined). BTW we ordered 6 days ago, this was the first time slot. Now no slots at all into next week for delivery or pickup at the store.

Recently at a major airport we arranged for a wheelchair from the street entry, through TSA, to the gate. The airport service guy spent at least 40 minutes with us, pushing to a satellite terminal. Friendly, polite, suggesting a bathroom stop, etc. I tried to give him $20 (it was worth it to me.) He asked if I thought that was too much. I tried $10. We finally settled on $5. That refocused my tipping ideas.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

mega317 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:11 am Yes another tipping thread. Since having kids I don't really do much that involves tips. Haircuts. Not sure what else. In the time children I once estimated how much I tipped (generously) as a fraction of my net worth. I was embarassed at the result. Like .0005%. Given that many of us on this forum will have more money than we can ever spend, it's probably not a big deal to give a few extra dollars to people who really need it. Just an opinion not a fact.
Agree, and thank you. My wife was a waitress and I was a cab driver. Now that we’ve won the game, it doesn’t mean that we have forgotten. That’s why we pay our cleaner even though we asked her not to come during the pandemic, the few times I Uber I tip 100% (for short trips to eye doctor), and food deliveries 30%.

ETA: no eat-in restaurants for the time being, but unless a server was ostentatiously rude, my starting tip is 20% and can go up significantly from there for superior service.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
mayday23

Post by mayday23 »

I used to use Peapod grocery service before they went out of business. I wouldn't do a % (I didn't think 20% or $30 was correct on a $150 order), so i always just gave $10-$15.

Agree with the other poster who said if you don't have the cash or good sense to tip, then go pick it up.
Topic Author
Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

k1982 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:54 am I been working for tips for the past 15 years off and on.

Just pick it up.

Thank you! This is exactly the type of information I was seeking!
mhc

Post by mhc »

If the federal government gives me $1k, I plan on using it on increased tips and helping people who need the $1k more than I do.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
galving

Post by galving »

mhc wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:37 am If the federal government gives me $1k, I plan on using it on increased tips and helping people who need the $1k more than I do.
Fully agree.
Its important to get the $$ back into the economy and moving again.
Jozxyqk

Post by Jozxyqk »

beernutz wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:44 pm

Of course since you are a person of integrity you walk out of the business when you find out they don't.
Savage.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

We tipped the person who got our takeout order last night 15%, which I consider to be a little high for that type of service.

However, we're very unlikely to do much more takeout and are quarantining ourselves for a long while.
The Sensible Steward
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Just pick it up.

What if you prepay with credit card and leave a tip? Does that get shared with employees?
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

Are these businesses or charities? If they are charities, then I fully understand wanting to give money. But why give a business charity? I don't like how tipping obscures this. Be clear on what you are..

And yes I always tip, but not because I want to. I don't agree with it.
kidshrink

Post by kidshrink »

Just pick it up.

While I understand the sentiment, the comments could easily be directed to the management where you work. I'm disgusted by business owners who don't pay their employees well.

I have started asking cashiers and service employees whether they are treated well by the management. If so, I continue to support the business. If not, I kindly advise the service employee to start looking for better opportunities as I'll no longer be supporting the business. Most importantly, treat yourself with respect because you can't expect others to.

There is a problem with the tipping system in America. I'd much rather pay a higher set price on the menu than have to spend mental energy evaluating how much tip an employee deserves. It takes away from the experience at the business establishment. The responsibility should lie with the business to incentivize the employee to provide excellent service for all customers. I'm the customer, not a social justice warrior.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

kidshrink wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:11 am There is a problem with the tipping system in America. I'd much rather pay a higher set price on the menu than have to spend mental energy evaluating how much tip an employee deserves. It takes away from the experience at the business establishment. The responsibility should lie with the business to incentivize the employee to provide excellent service for all customers. I'm the customer, not a social justice warrior.
Well said. My repeat business is my "tip".
k1982

Post by k1982 »

when you work for pizza delivery 100% of the tips (on credit cards or cash) goes to the driver (well, more like 80% since uncle Sam keeps the other portion :) )

thank you all for the kind replies

once again, i don't expect to make a living off this - but it gets you by at certain times
over tippers ($7 or more) no matter how big are the orders are ..are always big time appreciated and make my day and YES we remember the good tippers!~

i realize everyone has to work for a living and some of us make way more than others
(but i also don't believe in "sharing the wealth" per say)
just be fair and remember to tip

p.s. even though i'm a strong believer in tipping
i also never expect tips in take out fashion (you the customer drove your car and did your due diligence)

delivery (no matter how big the order)
- $ 3 is ok
- $ 4-5 big smile on my face

take out (don't feel obligated to tip)

this is coming from someone who's been doing this off and on for 15 years
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Just bumped my tip for Amazon Whole Foods delivery today. I think the default (pre-filled) tip on Amazon was $10, but I changed this to $15.

Once I received the delivery everything was packed in more bags than I would have expected. Based on my last two deliveries, Whole Foods only seems to fill the bottom-half of the bag, if that, so I find it hard to gauge the amount of stuff the delivery person has to manage. I also find it hard to just approximate the scale of the order.

Amazon offers the ability to "edit" the tip up to 24 hours after delivery. LOVE this feature and increased the tip to $20. :D
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

k1982 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:34 am when you work for pizza delivery 100% of the tips (on credit cards or cash) goes to the driver (well, more like 80% since uncle Sam keeps the other portion :) )

thank you all for the kind replies

once again, i don't expect to make a living off this - but it gets you by at certain times
over tippers ($7 or more) no matter how big are the orders are ..are always big time appreciated and make my day and YES we remember the good tippers!~

i realize everyone has to work for a living and some of us make way more than others
(but i also don't believe in "sharing the wealth" per say)
just be fair and remember to tip

p.s. even though i'm a strong believer in tipping
i also never expect tips in take out fashion (you the customer drove your car and did your due diligence)

delivery (no matter how big the order)
- $ 3 is ok
- $ 4-5 big smile on my face

take out (don't feel obligated to tip)

this is coming from someone who's been doing this off and on for 15 years
Thank you for sharing the details. Helpful to hear your perspective.

May I ask the approximate cost of living for the area this information applies? H(igh)COL M(edium)COL, etc.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

rjbraun wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:30 pm Just bumped my tip for Amazon Whole Foods delivery today. I think the default (pre-filled) tip on Amazon was $10, but I changed this to $15.

Once I received the delivery everything was packed in more bags than I would have expected. Based on my last two deliveries, Whole Foods only seems to fill the bottom-half of the bag, if that, so I find it hard to gauge the amount of stuff the delivery person has to manage. I also find it hard to just approximate the scale of the order.

Amazon offers the ability to "edit" the tip up to 24 hours after delivery. LOVE this feature and increased the tip to $20. :D
That's a very nice feature indeed... to be able to decide the tip AFTER experiencing the service!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
k1982

Post by k1982 »

midwest
stlouis MO area :)

don't want to get too specific on what pizza place i work for
we aren't allowed to discuss tips with customers

on a typical night i average $3.00-3.50 per delivery plus $4.73 hourly
with reimbursement for mileage/ tips/ and hourly a typical driver makes $10-$12/hour ..depending some hours more some less
however, you have to realize we spend a lot on expenses on our cars. it takes its toll on brakes gas tires etc
sure we have hours where we can make up to $25 but then after that we may sit for 2 hours and not make a single penny (down time..)

it's kind of like the stock market. you lose some. you make some. but in the long run (when you close the shift) you make some change :)

in advance, i appreciate the good tippers (you make me want to come to work again and halfway enjoy my job)
and then you have the 20% of customers..that's another story to tell ...ehhh

for the people who don't want to tip cause you want the owners to pay us a healthy wage...
you have to understand the expenses overhead payroll food cost etc
the owner doesn't have much left after everything is taken into account.
i been doing this for a good part of my life. i know the owners personally. i see the #s in and out.
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

This reflects more about you than it does the business.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Let's stay on topic - what are you tipping currently for takeout/delivery, considering the workers' jobs are now more dangerous. We don't need another generic tipping discussion.
SandysDad

Post by SandysDad »

I would get away from percentage based for delivery.

Delivery folks use their own car, and pay their own benefits. The time to pack it up, drive to your place, wait for you, and drive back is substantial.

If their pay is mostly tips (ie they get Tipped minimum), I think $10 is appropriate. You have to keep in mind, that for everyone like you who wants to tip well there are some folks who "think employers should pay all the wages" philosophically and will stiff them.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

For restaurant takeout, I might add a $1.00 tip, in normal times, for the person who spent a couple of minutes with me on the phone and got my order ready.

In these times, I'm going higher. Despite the unrealized stock market losses for our household, I want to help to the extent possible, and a lot of income is being lost by restaurant wait staff. We are also increasing our takeout frequency, to help small, local businesses.

No experience yet with home delivery.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

k1982 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:47 am midwest
stlouis MO area :)

don't want to get too specific on what pizza place i work for
we aren't allowed to discuss tips with customers

on a typical night i average $3.00-3.50 per delivery plus $4.73 hourly
with reimbursement for mileage/ tips/ and hourly a typical driver makes $10-$12/hour ..depending some hours more some less
however, you have to realize we spend a lot on expenses on our cars. it takes its toll on brakes gas tires etc
sure we have hours where we can make up to $25 but then after that we may sit for 2 hours and not make a single penny (down time..)

it's kind of like the stock market. you lose some. you make some. but in the long run (when you close the shift) you make some change :)

in advance, i appreciate the good tippers (you make me want to come to work again and halfway enjoy my job)
and then you have the 20% of customers..that's another story to tell ...ehhh

for the people who don't want to tip cause you want the owners to pay us a healthy wage...
you have to understand the expenses overhead payroll food cost etc
the owner doesn't have much left after everything is taken into account.
i been doing this for a good part of my life. i know the owners personally. i see the #s in and out.
Thank you, excellent points.

My parents have restaurant food delivered, including when we "kids" visits. I really value restaurants that offer "direct" delivery. This service is increasingly valuable as some restaurants only offer delivery through a third-party. Not only is it likely more expensive, but I am concerned about less accountability where the restaurant blames the deliverer if there's an issue, or vice versa. Even more, though, my elderly mother is comfortable picking up the phone to speak to a person to place an order. She's not going to go online and navigate delivery options.

For what it's worth, my parents live in at least a high cost of living area, and I think the tip amounts you cite are more than reasonable.

Thanks again for the detailed information.
Orange44

Post by Orange44 »

:D $5 for any delivery. More if its a lot of delivery items. Heavy etc. I also try to make it easier for them. Be ready. Tell them to leave it there. Smile. Thank you. It could be me doing the delivery in the future.
smectym

Post by smectym »

kidshrink wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:11 am

Just pick it up.

While I understand the sentiment, the comments could easily be directed to the management where you work. I'm disgusted by business owners who don't pay their employees well.

I have started asking cashiers and service employees whether they are treated well by the management. If so, I continue to support the business. If not, I kindly advise the service employee to start looking for better opportunities as I'll no longer be supporting the business. Most importantly, treat yourself with respect because you can't expect others to.

There is a problem with the tipping system in America. I'd much rather pay a higher set price on the menu than have to spend mental energy evaluating how much tip an employee deserves. It takes away from the experience at the business establishment. The responsibility should lie with the business to incentivize the employee to provide excellent service for all customers. I'm the customer, not a social justice warrior.
The tipping system isn’t perfect, but it’s good that it’s (usually) voluntary. Unfortunate that too many take advantage of that and stiff the service provider who depends on tips. Due to the law of marginal utility that two bucks or five bucks almost always means a great deal more to the recipient then to the person providing the tip.

I’m not suggesting that those who are struggling themselves should be overly generous tippers. Of course it’s a balancing test and various factors may come into play. But the default should be to tip—adequately, or generously.
samjuno

Post by samjuno »

Being in the highest risk group (age & medically), I'm aware that if my grocery order wasn't delivered to me by someone who is increasing their exposure to CV-19, I would have to choose between going out or going without. Both options would risk compromising my health. So I gladly tip & hope things don't fall apart to the point where there are no delivery persons available.
These folks are as essential as our medical professionals.
RetiredCSProf

Post by RetiredCSProf »

Bump ... Tagging on to an older thread ...

On grocery deliveries, does the tip go to the shopper or to the driver? Or is it split?

Two months ago, I started ordering groceries for delivery on the weekend instead of leaving the house at dawn to take advantage of weekday senior shopping hours. The main reason for delivered groceries was that my street was torn up for repairs, making it difficult to exit my driveway on weekdays. Also, my local gov (LA County) is encouraging seniors to stay home due to Covid surge and now zero-ICU bed capacity.

When I place the order, Whole Foods (Amazon prime) tags on a suggested $10 tip for each order. I thought that I was paying this tip, but just realized that the tip is zeroed out unless I update it within 48 hours.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Nutmeg wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:07 pmWhat do you recommend for tip amounts in these situations?
I won't "recommend" anything.

We currently use InstaCart for almost all of our groceries. I have the tip set at 20%. That's just my "standard" amount, and the highest InstaCart has available as a preset option. If there is really something extra (like the other day, a delivery in the middle of snowstorm) I tip more. If there is a real but minor problem--like a single missing item--I will report it and ask for a refund, but I won't cut the tip.

So far, by my personal standards for performance, and what I have actually encountered, only once did I feel it was appropriate to give less than five stars.

What the heck. Times are rough. If I can afford the service, I can afford the tip.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

RetiredCSProf wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:31 pm Bump ... Tagging on to an older thread ...

On grocery deliveries, does the tip go to the shopper or to the driver? Or is it split?

Two months ago, I started ordering groceries for delivery on the weekend instead of leaving the house at dawn to take advantage of weekday senior shopping hours. The main reason for delivered groceries was that my street was torn up for repairs, making it difficult to exit my driveway on weekdays. Also, my local gov (LA County) is encouraging seniors to stay home due to Covid surge and now zero-ICU bed capacity.

When I place the order, Whole Foods (Amazon prime) tags on a suggested $10 tip for each order. I thought that I was paying this tip, but just realized that the tip is zeroed out unless I update it within 48 hours.
Not my experience with Prime WF. My tip shows on the order, but is a separate charge. The food shows up on my AMEX. The tip also shows up on my AMEX, separately. I get the AMEX 3% on the food; I get 1% on the tip. I think the tip does show up a day or two after the food charge. My Prime WF deliveries have been great and quick.

EdiT: no idea where the tip goes for PrimeWF.
Last edited by heartwood on Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brandy

Post by brandy »

samjuno wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:38 am Being in the highest risk group (age & medically), I'm aware that if my grocery order wasn't delivered to me by someone who is increasing their exposure to CV-19, I would have to choose between going out or going without. Both options would risk compromising my health. So I gladly tip & hope things don't fall apart to the point where there are no delivery persons available.
These folks are as essential as our medical professionals.
+1
traveling_salesman

Post by traveling_salesman »

I tip, about the same as I always have. The pandemic didn’t change that.

What did change wise:
1. I tip now in cash. I simply don’t trust any of these delivery companies to pass on tips honestly.
2. What I would have tipped more, I donate to food banks.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

camillus wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:00 pm We bumped our Instacart tip up as “hazard pay.”
That was (and is) my thinking exactly.
FB01

Post by FB01 »

Out of curiosity, if tip at a restaurant, does the tip goes to that particular server or is put in a pool and distributed equally among all the servers.

Say for example Olive Garden...if I tip $10 to the server, will it go to her/him specifically?
Thanks, | FB
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Since the pandemic started, picked up Chinese twice (they don't deliver) and pizza a few times (the pizza is good, but their delivery requires a longer wait than picking up). So no tipping now compared to before when we used to go out and eat.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
RetiredCSProf

Post by RetiredCSProf »

heartwood wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:55 pm
RetiredCSProf wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:31 pm Bump ... Tagging on to an older thread ...

Not my experience with Prime WF. My tip shows on the order, but is a separate charge. The food shows up on my AMEX. The tip also shows up on my AMEX, separately. I get the AMEX 3% on the food; I get 1% on the tip. I think the tip does show up a day or two after the food charge. My Prime WF deliveries have been great and quick.

EdiT: no idea where the tip goes for PrimeWF.
Thanks. I see that now on my credit card bill -- the tip shows up separately from the grocery order.
Annabel Lee

Post by Annabel Lee »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:45 pm
Nutmeg wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:07 pmWhat do you recommend for tip amounts in these situations?
What the heck. Times are rough. If I can afford the service, I can afford the tip.

+1. General tipping philosophy on everything now. These folks are dealing with the public while I’m hanging out in my house. 25%+ on takeout and donating to our food bank as well.