Pay cleaning lady during coronavirus pause?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mpnret

Pay cleaning lady during coronavirus pause?

Post by mpnret » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:04 pm

We have the same cleaning lady for over 10 years now which we are fairly happy with. She also brings 2 helpers which change all the time. We decided not to have her come during the coronavirus period. I called her and told her not to come but I did tell her to stop by and her regular pay was under the mat. I also payed her for the next 2 upcoming visits which would take us to the end of April. I told her we would re-evaluate at that time. Should I be paying her?

bampf

Re: Pay cleaning lady during coronavirus pause?

Post by bampf » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:05 pm

Yes, if you can. These are the folks that will be hurt the worst.

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:06 pm

If you have the means I think it's appropriate under the circumstances

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:09 pm

+1

There is some discussion about this in another thread that you might find helpful:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=303695&p=5108305&h ... y#p5108280

windaar

Post by windaar » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:09 pm

Absolutely.
Nobody knows nothing.

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:13 pm

I think it is great what you’ve done.

Going forward, you could continue to pay her but at a lower rate (if needed).

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:17 pm

We are while we are in a position to. Just In case they balk at being paid to not come clean (pride is powerful), we are prepared to say it’s an advance on some kind of extra cleaning in the indefinite future (which we probably wouldn’t ask to enforce unless they insisted).
“There is no problem so bad you can’t make it worse.” - Chris Hatfield, Astronaut mantra

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:17 pm

bampf wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:05 pm
Yes, if you can. These are the folks that will be hurt the worst.
Agree. Or maybe she can agree to clean 2x/week or something once this is over if you pay her now. Some arrangement like that might work. :happy

Lots of self-employed people are already hurting and so many can't apply for unemployment for various reasons.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:18 pm

Definitely, yes, you should pay. Our cleaning ladies were here this week and did a great job. I hope they are not concerned as well, but we gave them the option of not coming since their kids are not in school.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

inepteft

Post by inepteft » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:21 pm

We just paid our cleaning ladies for three weeks worth of not cleaning our house. Sadly, she told us that we were one of only two families in the neighborhood to actually cancel but to still pay even though she has been working for many of the families for a decade. I know times are tough for everyone, but they are getting even tougher for some. If you can, continuing to pay in some manner seems like the right thing to do.

mouth

Post by mouth » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:31 pm

Asked last weekend if she'd be willing to clean and offered to pay if she didn't. She said she'd clean.

Today I said it was safer for both of us if she didn't clean and to send me her paypal or mailing address. She declined payment.

Her xmas bonus will just be that much bigger.

Soul.in.Progress

Post by Soul.in.Progress » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:32 pm

We have decided to pay our cleaning person. We told him to to let us know when he was in the neighborhood for anyone else, and we would put it under our mat for him to just swing by and pick it up.
Start by doing what is necessary; | then do what is possible; | and suddenly you are doing the impossible. | -- Francis of Assisi

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:34 pm

Yes, or offer let her make it up with future cleanings if she prefers.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

prudent

Post by prudent » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:36 pm

Our favorite family-run small diner was forced to close for 5 days due to a power outage, and when they reopened we bought a few hundred worth of gift certificates, and used them over a couple years. Maybe that would be a way to protect her pride.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:39 pm

I'm continuing to pay my cleaning service. We'll figure out the details later on.

samuck

Post by samuck » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:44 pm

I‘m paying 50% for March and April. It‘s a great way of taking off some of the pain.

Gill

Post by Gill » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:45 pm

What about cleaning people through a service? Do you pay the full amount to the service or pay the employees the next time they clean? We don’t know how to contact them direct.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:45 pm

samuck wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:44 pm
I‘m paying 50% for March and April. It‘s a great way of taking off some of the pain.
Yours or theirs?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

RonSwanson

Post by RonSwanson » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:49 pm

If you them to come back, then yes keep paying.

leeks

Post by leeks » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:51 pm

If the cost is not relevant to your own financial stability and you expect to have this person return to work for you after the pandemic, yes I would continue to pay.

cashheavy18

Post by cashheavy18 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:51 pm

Yes! We had this discussion last week in our household and sent a text to our cleaning person and let them know, we will be paying you, but please don't come for right now.

We have the means and it is a small part to play during this time of economic turmoil for so many.

theorist

Post by theorist » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:53 pm

Definitely, if you can easily afford it.

We have also been contributing to GoFundMe sites our work colleagues created to help pay the hourly workers who staff the cafes we frequent next to our workplace. Many of us go twice a day or more and get to know the staff there; being shut down for a month or two will be really difficult for them, and we value them enough to pitch in a bit. Hopefully the federal government sends checks soon too, though 1K a month doesn’t go far.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:55 pm

prudent wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:36 pm
Our favorite family-run small diner was forced to close for 5 days due to a power outage, and when they reopened we bought a few hundred worth of gift certificates, and used them over a couple years. Maybe that would be a way to protect her pride.
+1. A great idea.

There are times when moderators are creative, too. :happy

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:11 pm

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:55 pm
prudent wrote:
+1. A great idea.

What a fantastic idea. I’ll be looking for opportunities to do the same. Truthfully, we could do,our own cleaning now, but a lot of people are suffering. So we are also keeping the cleaners coming.

Gill

Post by Gill » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:23 pm

Normchad wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:11 pm
MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:55 pm
prudent wrote:
+1. A great idea.

What a fantastic idea. I’ll be looking for opportunities to do the same. Truthfully, we could do,our own cleaning now, but a lot of people are suffering. So we are also keeping the cleaners coming.
We would like to keep them coming also, but are afraid they might be carrying the virus from their own contacts including the other houses they clean.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:39 pm

You've had her for 10 years and you're just fairly happy with her?? :confused Okay. I always assume those who have house cleaners come in can afford the luxury. This is a terrific thing you're doing. I don't know her financial situation nor yours but I bet she would miss the money more than you. Well done! On a separate note; wouldn't this be a good time to HAVE your house well cleaned?

FS51

Post by FS51 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:46 pm

We just text our cleaning lady not to come but that we would continue to pay. Waiting on response.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:55 pm

We use a cleaning service thru a group home of mentally challenged adults. 4 workers plus 1 Supervisor. I pay a monthly fee.

I called the group home supervisor and told her that we won’t be needing them during the quarantine period, but that we would continue to pay the fee.

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

kacang

Post by kacang » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:11 pm

Our area is under shelter-in-place order, lots of people are hurting. We plan to continue paying our cleaning lady and yard guy. They have been with us for years and have not raised their fees a single time and even declined when we offered to pay more. It's the least we can do to support them through this tough time.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:50 am

I don't have housecleaners but I am concerned about the woman who does my pedicures. I am self-isolating so I won't be going in. I texted her and I have not heard back. I wanted to send her a card and a check. Feeling a little worried.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:10 am

My cleaning lady left me for another man 12 yrs ago, have not replaced her yet. No rush.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:24 am

For those leaving payments under a mat, consider using Venmo. Your cleaner should be staying home.

I texted our cleaner that she shouldn’t come but that we’d continue to pay her. She was very appreciative in her text back. I’m sure she’s even more appreciative now that her kids don’t have school to go to.

I guess I could pay with a discount now that she has reduced expenses (transportation and supplies), but I figure that she won’t be getting paid by some other customers (half?) and will rethink it later.

She regularly pays two coworkers, and I hope she continues to, but I don’t think it’s my place to ask.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:46 am

We are paying ours as long as we are employed.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:00 am

LilyFleur wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:50 am
I don't have housecleaners but I am concerned about the woman who does my pedicures. I am self-isolating so I won't be going in. I texted her and I have not heard back. I wanted to send her a card and a check. Feeling a little worried.
If she works for a salon/some other type of company, they may well have closed down temporarily.

Last week, I called to cancel my appointment, and was told they were starting to make calls to all clients that they were closing temporarily.

Hair salon is closed, too.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

kidshrink

Post by kidshrink » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:06 pm

Summit111 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:55 pm
We use a cleaning service thru a group home of mentally challenged adults. 4 workers plus 1 Supervisor. I pay a monthly fee.

I called the group home supervisor and told her that we won’t be needing them during the quarantine period, but that we would continue to pay the fee.

Summit
You're doing a commendable thing. I would get confirmation that the workers will be paid their portion of the fee, because that's a population that's very vulnerable to abuse. I work with developmentally delayed adult patients one day a week.

To OP, many states consider 10 years the threshold for alimony payments, so I'd say yes to your question.

I also hope that your cleaning lady has responsibly saved up an EF and maybe even invested according to their IPS. Boglehead living is beneficial to everyone.

GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:12 pm

We told ours to skip monday but we would pay. While many of our losses have been painful to us, there are always those in a tougher situation.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:32 pm

prudent wrote:
Great idea!

No matter who the small business owner/worker might be, I hope those who can afford to at least pay the hourly rate of a worker, buy gift certificates from small business owners as prudent mentioned; there are many things those of us who have been blessed can do to help the less fortunate.

Sadly, a lot of small businesses will bust, leaving some workers with paychecks owed, insurance premiums unpaid, SS/Medicare taxes not remitted.....

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:51 pm

Wellfleet wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:46 am
Same

Gill

Post by Gill » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:01 pm

How would you handle this? We use a service at a cost of $210. We’ve had the same two women for about a year and would like to see them paid. We suspect they receive about half of the amount we pay with the rest going to the agency. We’d like to pay them direct but have no way of contacting them. Should we pay the agency the full amount and ask them to pay the employees or should we expect some reduction in the usual amount?
Gill

GCD

Post by GCD » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:06 pm

We are. We're also paying my son's Jiu Jitsu school and daughter's gymnastics even though we aren't going.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:27 pm

mpnret wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:04 pm
We have the same cleaning lady for over 10 years now which we are fairly happy with. She also brings 2 helpers which change all the time. We decided not to have her come during the coronavirus period. I called her and told her not to come but I did tell her to stop by and her regular pay was under the mat. I also payed her for the next 2 upcoming visits which would take us to the end of April. I told her we would re-evaluate at that time. Should I be paying her?
mpnret:

If you can afford a cleaning lady, I feel you can afford to continue her pay during the coronavirus.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "When you can work well with other human beings and help human beings, it's more than just a great business strategy, it's also a great way to build a well-rounded and fulfilling life."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:43 pm

We have told our maid to use her own judgment about working, but that we will pay regardless. We also ask her to work alone, not bring help.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:46 pm

We told ours not to come for March but we still paid her.

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:51 pm

We are paying our cleaning person their full rate, as well as the gardener, kids' private instructors (tennis, language tutor, etc) even though we had to cancel everything due to shelter in place. Our employment status hasn't changed, so in terms of budget nothing really changed (except our retirement accounts, lol). There's no reason why we can't afford to continue to pay everyone. We sent checks through the mail.

I think it would be nice to continue to pay if you have solid employment standing. If you can't due to job loss, or risk of losing job, etc, then it's understandable if you can't.

mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:00 pm

I guess for many bogleheads it's a matter of noblesse oblige.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

Soul.in.Progress

Post by Soul.in.Progress » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:53 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:24 am
For those leaving payments under a mat, consider using Venmo. Your cleaner should be staying home.
Good point! I’ve never used Venmo so it didn’t even occur to me. I will text my cleaner about it for the next payment. I’m still not fully adjusted to this changed world and the new way of thinking :P
Start by doing what is necessary; | then do what is possible; | and suddenly you are doing the impossible. | -- Francis of Assisi

m@ver1ck

Post by m@ver1ck » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:57 pm

Just mailed her a check for $600 to cover rest of March and all of April. We used to get her in once a week.

glock19

Post by glock19 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:52 pm

In the interest of social distancing, our cleaning lady has decided to "work from home". We are continuing to pay her, and she has said we can call her once a week and she will explain what needs to be done and how we are to do it.

sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:29 pm

Definitely.
She has been with you for 10 years and this could be her only income.
When it rains on Friday, my gardener does not come to mow my lawn. I still pay him.
Every once in awhile I give the gardener a tip for his excellent work.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:36 pm

Wellfleet wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:46 am
My plan, too.