Large Flashlight?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

Large Flashlight?

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:26 am

I need to go searching through a dusty attic in an old house for some items my mom wants saved before the house is torn down (the reason is immaterial to my question, but there it is).

I have never owned a flashlight, but I think I need a large one that directs light in more than on small area, to avoid tripping, to save time, etc.

Please suggest a brand or type or what I should look for.

Thanks!

Swansea

Re: Large Flashlight?

Post by Swansea » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:37 am

4 battery Mag-Lite. I have two of them, durable and beam is adjustable. They have a nice heft to them.

BL

Post by BL » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:40 am

Look for a 6-volt lantern or a 2-4 D batteries flashlight. I would think a cheap big one would be fine for a one-time need, otherwise consider Mag-Lite. LEDs probably don't required as much battery power.

There are larger lanterns if you need broader arc.

sport

Post by sport » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:45 am

Flashlights light up small areas. You want a lantern that will light up a more general area.

Amhenn01

Post by Amhenn01 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:47 am

If you really want a reliable amazing flashlight then get one that uses rechargeable batteries for your existing cordless tools ie. Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, etc.

I have a dewalt flash light and it can stand by itself, the angle can be adjusted, it is super bright, and the typical 2A battery last for 10 hours.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:48 am

Actually for attic work, you'll probably want a led lantern to spread light over a wide area and a flashlight for corners, looking in boxes etc. Go over to Harbor Freight they have a nice variety that work well.

keepingitsimple

Post by keepingitsimple » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:55 am

sport wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:45 am
Flashlights light up small areas. You want a lantern that will light up a more general area.
Agreed. I have owned a Goal Zero Lantern (link below) for awhile and have really enjoyed using it. It utilizes a rechargeable battery that can be charged via a USB charger or a manual hand crank (in the event electricity is unavailable). It’s bright and versatile.

Goal Zero Lantern:
https://www.goalzero.com/shop/lanterns/ ... power-hub/

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:00 pm

A big D-cell flashlight is mostly used to knock someone over the head in self-defense and it isn't very good at that.

Instead, get a LED headlamp with rechargeable batteries ... either USB-rechargeable Li ion or AAA batteries. A headlamp will not throw off your balance and will allow both your hands to be free to either help you grab onto the rafters to maintain balance or to move things.

Such headlamps are extremely bright, inexpensive, lightweight, and sold in many places including sporting goods stores, big box home improvement stores, online, etc. There is a reason they are so popular and almost all trades people and backpackers use them.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

cashboy

Post by cashboy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:28 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:00 pm
A big D-cell flashlight is mostly used to knock someone over the head in self-defense and it isn't very good at that.

Instead, get a LED headlamp with rechargeable batteries ... either USB-rechargeable Li ion or AAA batteries. A headlamp will not throw off your balance and will allow both your hands to be free to either help you grab onto the rafters to maintain balance or to move things.

Such headlamps are extremely bright, inexpensive, lightweight, and sold in many places including sporting goods stores, big box home improvement stores, online, etc. There is a reason they are so popular and almost all trades people and backpackers use them.
this. i use it in dark spaces like where the OP will be working.
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)

Bogle7

What the pros buy

Post by Bogle7 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:39 pm

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:16 pm

Personally I have a variety of flashlights for different uses. For what you're describing, my preference would likely be a headlamp with a floody beam for wide illumination up close, and to keep your hands free for moving things around.

On a tight budget, the Energizer headlamps that you often can find at home Improvement stores are a decent value. Like most cheap flashlights, they will dim significantly as the battery voltage declines, which greatly annoys me, although is generally tolerable.

Unfortunately, the lights sold at brick and mortar stores generally don't improve much functionally as the price goes up. They do tend to have more modes (some of which are obnoxious and seldom useful strobe modes), higher output (on fresh batteries), and better overall quality and warranty support, but they're still plastic lights that usually have unregulated output.

Honestly, I think many of the popular manafucturers like Black Diamond and Petzl like have a misleading motive for selling so many unregulated lights, because the declining power over time lets them claim both really high peak brightness, but really long runtime (at reduced output).

If you'd like to hang onto the light for future needs that come up, I'd suggest taking a look at the Thrunite TH20, which uses a single AA battery. It is able to regulate its output for consistent brightness, and has an interesting ramping brightness control, which you control by just holding down the on/off button once its on. If you turn if off, then back on, it will remember what level it was at before.

If you do get a nicer headlamp like the Thrunite, also use rechargeable nickle-metal hydride batteries. Alkalines are not well suited for high current draw applications like flashlights, and even regulated lights can't make alkalines put out maximum power when their voltage gets too low. Worse, high drain rates significantly increase the risk the alkaline batteries will leak and damage your light. On the other hand, if you get a cheap headlamp like the Energizers, you might as well just treat it as disposable and use alkalines to save money.

Another good headlamp option is the Armytek Elf, which is USB rechargeable with an included lithium-ion battery.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:21 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:16 pm
Honestly, I think many of the popular manafucturers like Black Diamond and Petzl like
Nitecore makes some outstanding headlamps, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:41 pm

Amhenn01 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:47 am
If you really want a reliable amazing flashlight then get one that uses rechargeable batteries for your existing cordless tools ie. Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, etc.

I have a dewalt flash light and it can stand by itself, the angle can be adjusted, it is super bright, and the typical 2A battery last for 10 hours.
which model Dewalt..DCL040? I'm looking to buy one

zxllxz

Post by zxllxz » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:37 am

You do not need large to light up an area. I use a Surefire EL1 which fits in my jeans pocket. Newer models are even brighter.
Check out Battery Junction for many different models.

https://www.batteryjunction.com/

tm3

Post by tm3 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:54 pm

For more info than you could ever need, head over to candlepowerforums.com.

I like the idea of a headlamp, but you may need a 2nd light either hand held or a lantern. You want to focus on lights that have "flood" rather than "throw," and I personally would want one that uses rechargeable AA or AAA batteries.

kidshrink

Post by kidshrink » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:01 pm

tm3 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:54 pm

I like the idea of a headlamp, but you may need a 2nd light either hand held or a lantern. You want to focus on lights that have "flood" rather than "throw," and I personally would want one that uses rechargeable AA or AAA batteries.
I knew there was a fellow flashlight enthusiast here.

Mag lights are classic American. I keep a 3D size in my car.

Nitecore is a good budget brand. Mine have held up well

Zebralight is a step up, and you’re paying for the quality and compact size. I picked my headlight from their Irving, Texas office. My first “expensive” light.

Fenix sells some high quality throwers. I own a TK51 searchlight that runs 3x18650, has enough modes for bedside reading and outdoor camping.

I’m going to look for another flashlight now

researcher

Post by researcher » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:24 pm

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:26 am
I have never owned a flashlight...
How is this possible????
I can't conceive of anyone over age 8 never owning a flashlight.
What do you do when the power goes out at your house?

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:33 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:48 am
Actually for attic work, you'll probably want a led lantern to spread light over a wide area and a flashlight for corners, looking in boxes etc. Go over to Harbor Freight they have a nice variety that work well.
Or a portable work light, plug in if you have a longer extension cord. See if a friend or neighbor has something you can borrow for one time use. Or get something you might have some use for in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerSmith-PWL11 ... 07KXMN5ZW/

You can probably pick up something at Lowes or Home Depot if you need local.

hand

Post by hand » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:44 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:16 pm
Personally I have a variety of flashlights for different uses. For what you're describing, my preference would likely be a headlamp with a floody beam for wide illumination up close, and to keep your hands free for moving things around.
+1 from a cost, functionality and use afterwards, I would absolutely get a floody headlamp. Hands-free is a game-changer!

Zebralight (or Armytek) would top my list, but plenty of good options along the price spectrum.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:25 pm

kidshrink wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:01 pm
tm3 wrote:

A few of us actually.

But I wouldn't send them over the candlepowerforums unless they wanted to the best in some category. It would be an information overload for the average person who just needs a light to do a few simple tasks.
kidshrink wrote:
It's so tempting, isn't it? I've managed to slow myself down in part by taking up modding. Unfinished projects help me set goals to complete before I can get another gadget. The Emisar D4v2 Ti might make me give in with some left incomplete, though.

kidshrink

Post by kidshrink » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:53 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:25 pm
kidshrink wrote:
tm3 wrote:

A few of us actually.

But I wouldn't send them over the candlepowerforums unless they wanted to the best in some category. It would be an information overload for the average person who just needs a light to do a few simple tasks.
kidshrink wrote:
It's so tempting, isn't it? I've managed to slow myself down in part by taking up modding. Unfinished projects help me set goals to complete before I can get another gadget. The Emisar D4v2 Ti might make me give in with some left incomplete, though.
Pics?

Amhenn01

Post by Amhenn01 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:59 pm

theplayer11 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:41 pm
Amhenn01 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:47 am

which model Dewalt..DCL040? I'm looking to buy one

Yes the DCL040. My dad bought it for me, because he said you don't know you need it until you have it and then you wonder how you every managed without. So nice!!

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:29 pm

kidshrink wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:53 pm
iamlucky13 wrote:
Pics?
If you were asking about pictures of the Emisar, you can see the titanium version here.

My own projects are nothing fancy to look at or very complex. They take a while though due to limited time to tinker. The latest project was just replacing an off-tinted 5mm LED in a nightlight with warm, high CRI model. Before that I replaced the stock LED in a Thrunite Archer with a high CRI SST-20. I'll put a couple pictures of that one on budgetlightforums when I get a chance, mainly in case anyone else ever wants to see how to disassemble the light.

Currently sitting on my workbench is one of those cheap 9-LED lights that is often a free giveaway, always has cool white LED's and a poor quality switch in them, but I liked the color of the body of this particular one. I've soldered in warm high CRI LED's and replaced the switch, and just need to figure out a few more details for building a pill to hold a regulated, multi-mode driver so I can run it from a lithium-ion battery.

If I buy a D4v2, I'll just keep it stock. The products Emisar makes are hard to improve upon.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:52 am

I use the Streamlight lantern below for dog walking, personal walking, looking for things in my garage at night, woods walking, camping, and boating. It is a fantastic lantern. It will throw a beam at two levels - medium for any use around the house or walking at night and high to shine a light to the end of the road or across a lake. I also have a Makita flashlight attachment that came with my 18v hand drill. It is also very good if I don't need as much light as the Streamlight lantern below.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-4430 ... 66&sr=8-14
Last edited by fourwheelcycle on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:17 am

Sure get a flashlight but why stop there? I recommend a propane lantern (go to wally world)

It's a good time to "prep" a little bit :wink:

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:35 pm

IMHO, everyone needs at least two of each of the following, which should all be of high quality:

Flashlight

Headlamp

Lantern
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

tm3

Post by tm3 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:47 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
kidshrink wrote:
tm3 wrote:

A few of us actually.

Isn't it amazing how much better a flashlight one can get, for about the same money, than the Mag Lite?

You are probably right about candlepowerforums, but what a great resource.

SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:59 pm

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:26 am
I need to go searching through a dusty attic in an old house for some items my mom wants saved before the house is torn down (the reason is immaterial to my question, but there it is).

I have never owned a flashlight, but I think I need a large one that directs light in more than on small area, to avoid tripping, to save time, etc.

Please suggest a brand or type or what I should look for.

Thanks!
I have somewhere between 10-20 flashlights, this one is my favorite by far:

https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Flashl ... ljaz10cnVl

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:08 pm

Despite its name, the Nebo Big Larry is not "large", but still my favorite flashlight. The light is blinding.

BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:05 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:48 am
With our last power outage in CA, we went to Harbor Freight and picked up this Luminar 1250 Lumen Portable Lantern.
Looks like the surface of the sun in a dark room, but it was wonderful for our family room during an outage.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lume ... 3992.html