How can bogleheads help during this crisis?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
leeks

How can bogleheads help during this crisis?

Post by leeks »

This "personal consumer issues" forum is for "questions about how we spend our money and time" and right now I would like to spend some money and time to help others.

For those of us who have the financial means to weather this and sustain our own families, how can we be useful to others?
The obvious ones are:
1. staying home
2. supporting the economy by having a lot of things delivered and paying neighborhood workers (babysitting, cleaning, yard work, home repairs, with appropriate precautions)
3. providing personal finance advice here

There are plenty of doctors on this forum likely without much time for internet browsing. But if any of them are here, perhaps they have some actionable suggestions?

For example, I am hearing hospitals don't have enough personal protection supplies for medical staff but I don't know how I could personally help with that.
Last edited by leeks on Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhalley

Re: How can bogleheads help during this crisis?

Post by mhalley »

Donate blood.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/america ... d=69642130
. As a nation, this is a time where we must take care of one another including those most vulnerable among us in hospitals," Gail McGovern, president and CEO of Red Cross, said in the statement. "One of the most important things people can do right now during this public health emergency is to give blood. If you are healthy and feeling well, please make an appointment to donate as soon as possible.
Last edited by mhalley on Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Wu

Post by Mr.Wu »

I am doubling the recommended tips when ordering grocery delivery.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Make donations to local food banks and homeless charities.

Look for Patreon websites to support. There are a lot of freelancers struggling right now.
DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath »

I am planning to up our donations to local food pantries, homeless shelters, pet shelters, and the like as I expect they will be under severe strain in the coming weeks and months.

Even more locally, another thing to do is to reach out to the elderly and other at-risk people in your neighborhood and offer to run errands on their behalf. The less they have to be out right now, the better.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

This is a timely question for me. If the government sends us a check. How can we best help people who are suffering?
Thanks
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds. Retired 9/19. Still working on mortgage payoff.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Check in on elderly neighbors and volunteer to procure supplies for them so they don't have to leave the house.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Independent George wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:05 pm Check in on elderly neighbors and volunteer to procure supplies for them so they don't have to leave the house.
+1
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

Donate blood. And platelets.

Don't raise your risk of getting sick from anything. Or injured. Leave the resources for those who need them. Clean your gutters in 3 months, so if you fall down, you're not bumping someone in respiratory distress tomorrow night.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
Speckles

Post by Speckles »

I am planting extra vegetable seedling starts, especially the ones that require a long lead times like onions, leeks, celery and some herbs. Also some pots of lettuce to give to neighbors.

When it’s time to plant I hope to have plenty of starts to share even if the plant nurseries don’t. I’ll also try to plant an extra large garden plus do some seed-saving.

Our mayor is suggesting that we grow more of our own food this summer to enhance community resilience. Fresh veggies would sure be welcome if the farms and farm workers have staffing shortages at any of the critical times like planting or harvest.

Hopefully my small actions are unnecessary, but we’re self-isolating for the foreseeable future so it’s nice to feel we’re trying to make an additional contribution besides “flattening the curve”.

Great suggestions to continue pay for the services we usually use and to give blood.

I look forward to reading more ideas.

Specs
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

1) Wash your hands

2) Observe social distancing

3) Tip big on deliveries

4) Donate to your local food banks and low-income medical clinics. They're hurting right now.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

Independent George wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:05 pm Check in on elderly neighbors and volunteer to procure supplies for them so they don't have to leave the house.
+ 1000, if you are healthy.

If you can't find elderly neighbors easily, call or send messages to local churches or charities that work with older and vulnerable folks, and see who needs stuff dropped off. If you have the money to spare, you could pay for the supplies as well as deliver them, depending on the needs.

Also - donate money to local food banks.
victw

Post by victw »

I signed up to donate blood. I'm not eligible for another two weeks.

Local NPR station has somewhat suspended their spring pledge drive. I'm considering donating - I usually do the fall drives but thought I might split it up and do half now.

Hope we see some more ideas.

Vic
mike_in_ny

Post by mike_in_ny »

1) If your local restaurant is closed, but still offering take-out.....spend some money
with them -- they're going to need the revenue.

2) Continue with charitable donations, the organizations will have a great need coming
out of this.

3) Be thankful. Many on this board are very well off, and financially resilient due to the
collective wisdom of this community. We can give back by spending what we normally
would during these bleak times.
boglerdude

Post by boglerdude »

Join your Nextdoor.com neighborhood. There are threads about running errands for the elderly, etc.

Donate idle CPU time. https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/15/co ... ple-terms/

folding@home has some glitches from increased traffic. If you want the 3D animation viewer to play, a fix is in this thread https://old.reddit.com/r/Folding/commen ... s/fk88x00/
Thales

Post by Thales »

I am a fit 68.

Be grateful. Always.

Saturate the house with relaxing music.

Excercise

Paracise
Yoga
Pilates
Bodybalance
Cycle

Practise social distancing 2m to 4m
Wear gloves when going out
Wash your hands with soap and water before or on entering the house
Then spray the door handles

Look after your neighbour

Be kind

Only love remains.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I offered to donate blood, but they refused because I did not meet the weight requirement. They did not have a way to take only half of the usual amount. Very unfortunate.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

1. Practice good hygiene.
2. Unless you work in a critical need job, stay home except in emergency or exception situations.
3. If you have to go out stay 6 feet from other people.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

1. Practice good hygiene.
2. Unless you work in a critical need job, stay home except in emergency or exception situations.
3. If you have to go out stay 6 feet from other people.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Buy giftcards to local restaurants. Bit of a risk should they go out of business, but a good way to get them expense-free revenue and stay safe from infecting yourself.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

MotoTrojan wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:34 am Buy giftcards to local restaurants. Bit of a risk should they go out of business, but a good way to get them expense-free revenue and stay safe from infecting yourself.
That’s what I have started doing. There are a few small locally owned shops, restaurants and coffee places that are hit hard by closures and/or limits to how they can do business. Prepaying some future expense I will have anyway will hopefully help them a bit.

I mentioned in another thread that my wife and I don’t really need a stimulus check from the government. Our spend isn’t limited by available funds. If they send us one, we will have more :moneybag to pre-spend or donate.

And yes, we do the hopefully obvious and stay socially distanced for the time being.