Does Verizon FIOS let you take your Internet with you?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
knightrider

Does Verizon FIOS let you take your Internet with you?

Post by knightrider »

For example,if I visit someone in a different state, can I use some kind of city wide wifi to connect to Verizon? Or can you buy some mobile hotspot to get Internet for free ( using your credentials for my home FIOS )? Specifically I am looking at NYC area. My home FIOS is in DC area.
g2morrow

Re: Does Verizon FIOS let you take your Internet with you?

Post by g2morrow »

if your phone has unlimited data have you thought about using it as a hotspot?
Topic Author
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

g2morrow wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:24 am if your phone has unlimited data have you thought about using it as a hotspot?
Good tip, but I do not want to use up my phone's data. I know Optimum in NYC offers city-wide free wifi for paid subscribers. Not sure if Verizon FIOS offers something similiar..
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

knightrider wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:20 am For example,if I visit someone in a different state, can I use some kind of city wide wifi to connect to Verizon? Or can you buy some mobile hotspot to get Internet for free ( using your credentials for my home FIOS )? Specifically I am looking at NYC area. My home FIOS is in DC area.
No. You'll need to access someone's wifi or use cellular data.
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

knightrider wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:26 am
g2morrow wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:24 am if your phone has unlimited data have you thought about using it as a hotspot?
Good tip, but I do not want to use up my phone's data. I know Optimum in NYC offers city-wide free wifi for paid subscribers. Not sure if Verizon FIOS offers something similiar..
In 2020, Verizon is a wireless company with a barely profitable wireline business unit. Unlike the cable companies, Verizon wants you to use their cellular products. We use the hotspot feature that comes bundled with a Verizon Wireless unlimited plan frequently. You don't want to stream video or do power user file transfers with it or you'll use up your quota but it's fine for the usual work-oriented email and getting to web portals.

NYC is 100% former Time Warner Cable which is now Charter Communications. The burbs surrounding NYC and all of Long Island are generally Cablevision, now owned by a European company Altice and branded as Optimum. There's also a lot of Comcast in north Jersey. NYC tri-state is a real mish-mash.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

knightrider wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:20 am For example,if I visit someone in a different state, can I use some kind of city wide wifi to connect to Verizon? Or can you buy some mobile hotspot to get Internet for free ( using your credentials for my home FIOS )? Specifically I am looking at NYC area. My home FIOS is in DC area.
No. Service is tied to the property and they have a very limited WiFi network unlike cable operators.
beyou

Post by beyou »

knightrider wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:26 am
I have Optimum, and their wifi outside the home ranges from mediocre to non-existent.
Usually you can't get a stable connection and when you can, it's very slow.
When negotiate my package, they often comment "we have free wifi and Fios does not" and I laugh at them.
I tell them this is one of the best reasons to leave them, false advertising.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

knightrider wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:20 amMy home FIOS is in DC area.
I have Comcast, and roughly half the time I'm at a small or mid-size commercial establishment in my area, I get free WiFi through Comcast. (This doesn't apply to giant corporate buildings or government agencies, which have their own networks and usually no others are available.) I also get free WiFi in about 20% of homes, where they or someone close by has a leased Comcast router. It's very useful, but is far from blanket coverage.

Of course, this applies only in areas Comcast serves.

Marylander1
Topic Author
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

beyou wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:17 pm I have Optimum, and their wifi outside the home ranges from mediocre to non-existent.
I have had very good experience with it. Though I get 5 full bars of signal strength. There are two to chose from, optimum_wifi and AlticeWifi. Both are blazing fast.. In fact better than my home wifi router :happy
beyou

Post by beyou »

knightrider wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:19 am
beyou wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:17 pm I have Optimum, and their wifi outside the home ranges from mediocre to non-existent.
I have had very good experience with it. Though I get 5 full bars of signal strength. There are two to chose from, optimum_wifi and AlticeWifi. Both are blazing fast.. In fact better than my home wifi router :happy
Location specific, where was this ?
I am using it right near their HQ and the service is poor.
Topic Author
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

beyou wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:03 pm
Do you get 5 bars signal? I don't get any signal near my office which is in a corporate park. I would assume they also don't care about providing strong signal near their HQ since it is not residential.
beyou

Post by beyou »

knightrider wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:25 pm
beyou wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:03 pm
[/quote

Do you get 5 bars signal? I don't get any signal near my office which is in a corporate park. I would assume they also don't care about providing strong signal near their HQ since it is not residential.
It is residential minutes from their HQ.
I do get bars but no response from anything I try to access, I actually have to turn off wifi so I can use my LTE service when near their sites.
They are supposed to cover residential, strip malls and train stations for instance, and I see bars in all those locations, but no bandwidth.
Response with lots of bars is either slow or nonexistent. Very simple, they have no capacity in busy locations.
My iphone has no issue using wifi in other locations with other providers.