Ibuprofen question: Any doctors or pharmacists here?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Chaconne

Ibuprofen question: Any doctors or pharmacists here?

Post by Chaconne » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:29 pm

Is Ibuprofen anything more than a painkiller? (I can't find a clear answer on the internet.) A nurse practitioner told me today that it would not just relieve the pain of my hurt knee but would also promote healing. Is that right?

FYI, I didn't get a clear diagnosis but she did say that it was unlikely to be deep vein thrombosis and that the X-rays were normal. I've been having knee pain and swelling not related to an injury (unless you consider old age an injury). That's about all I know.

THANKS!

JAZZISCOOL

Re: Ibuprofen question: Any doctors or pharmacists here?

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:36 pm

Medical topics are generally not allowed here. You might check out:

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-5166 ... al/details

https://www.mlanet.org/resources/userguide.html
Last edited by JAZZISCOOL on Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:36 pm

I suspect this will get locked, but ibuprofen is a strong anti-inflammatory.
https://www.drugs.com/ibuprofen.html
"What is ibuprofen?

Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body."

Anecdotally, it helped the arthritus pain in my back much more than the stronger painkiller hydrocodone.
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:37 pm

Chaconne wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:29 pm
Is Ibuprofen anything more than a painkiller? (I can't find a clear answer on the internet.) A nurse practitioner told me today that it would not just relieve the pain of my hurt knee but would also promote healing. Is that right?
FYI, I didn't get a clear diagnosis but she did say that it was unlikely to be deep vein thrombosis and that the X-rays were normal. I've been having knee pain and swelling not related to an injury (unless you consider old age an injury). That's about all I know.
THANKS!
Not a doctor or pharmacist - but there must be more than pain relief from Ibuprofen since both my wife and I have been advised to cease taking it before any kind of surgery or similar medical procedure.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:38 pm

It’s also a fever reducer.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:41 pm

goblue100 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:36 pm
I suspect this will get locked, but ibuprofen is a strong anti-inflammatory.
https://www.drugs.com/ibuprofen.html
"What is ibuprofen?

Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body."

Anecdotally, it helped the arthritus pain in my back much more than the stronger painkiller hydrocodone.
Yup, it's a COX-1 and COX-2 inhibitor. Not an MD or pharmacist, but a PhD scientist for a company that makes competing products.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:47 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (medical advice). See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.