How best to support local businesses and the economy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Skierajs

How best to support local businesses and the economy

Post by Skierajs »

Just a PSA and discussion - many of us here are in enviable situations to weather the storm from COVID-19, but local businesses, especially our restaurants, fitness studios/gyms, personal services, etc are getting clobbered. Some ideas I’m embracing:
- Using my restaurant/going out budget to get take out and delivery. There is no evidence at all that food is a transmission route for this virus (you’d have to breathe it in).
- Not canceling memberships to gyms, etc. instead reaching out to trainers etc and ask for google hangouts based sessions
- Still go to local grocers and farmers markets to buy essentials and/or use local grocery delivery companies instead of the big names
- Consider buying a gift card from a local business to use later in lieu of a service you’d be getting now (like a massage). That cash flow really helps folks.

Anyone else?
InvestingGeek

Re: How best to support local businesses and the economy

Post by InvestingGeek »

Skierajs wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:16 pm - Not canceling memberships to gyms, etc. instead reaching out to trainers etc and ask for google hangouts based sessions
I like this idea.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

Someone posted on facebook a reminder that animal shelters can't hold fundraising events during this, so send them donations if you can.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I'm doing take out and going to restaurants that are not crowded. Will probably increase tips just to help out people who may have lowered incomes. Several of our local eateries are doing curbside delivery - order and they bring it to you at the curb. I plan to use that some.

Some people I know have suggested buying (probably online) gift certificates from vendors they support to give them income now instead of later.

I probably would not even consider canceling memberships.
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

Consider purchasing gift certificates for your future use &/or for gifting? The business will have immediate income and will only later have to incur an expense....
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
OnTrack

Post by OnTrack »

retiredjg wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:22 pm ... Will probably increase tips just to help out people who may have lowered incomes. ...
I think this could help a lot and those tips are likely to be spent so should help the economy.