How to get Toilet Paper ? seriously.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
whodidntante

Re: How to get Toilet Paper ? seriously.

Post by whodidntante »

DownToThis wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:32 am They need to spread the wealth, no TP at the Costco in MD yesterday!
I predict a price crash as each person hoards a two year supply and stops purchasing toilet paper entirely. Then Warren will step in and stock up on what for him will be a lifetime supply.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Feels like I won the lottery today as I was able to order Scott’s toilet paper, Clorox wipes and Walmart brand Equate hand sanitizer at Walmart.com. These items have been out-of-stock locally for the last 8-9 weeks.
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

Woo hoo, made my first Costco run in a month, and this one was SO SO much better than the last one a month ago. No line at all this time vs a long 45-minute line last time. Stacks & stacks of TP this time vs no TP last time. I grabbed my one allowed package of TP, just on general principles.
Of course i did make an effort this time to go at a non-peak day & time, which might've made some difference. No crowds at all.

Only concerns were: Still no kleenex, and sanitizer was very limited and very-random-brand. And the shelves were just slightly sparse too. That is, not stacked to the ceilings like usual, and there were fewer items as well, in many aisles. That is, where an aisle might normally have say 40 different items, now there were only 20-30 different items. Evidently there are some production and supply-chain disruptions going on, like we know.

Oh, and nothing was on sale of course. That must be how Costco is paying for all the additional coronavirus costs.
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

whodidntante wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:42 pm
DownToThis wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:32 am They need to spread the wealth, no TP at the Costco in MD yesterday!
I predict a price crash as each person hoards a two year supply and stops purchasing toilet paper entirely. Then Warren will step in and stock up on what for him will be a lifetime supply.
But since TP has to be stored somewhere, does that mean TP prices could drop below zero because of storage costs, as the TP market cramps up? And folks buying TP futures on long rolls might get stuck with big losses as the prices drop into the toilet?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

MadHungarian wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:34 pm
whodidntante wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:42 pm
But since TP has to be stored somewhere, does that mean TP prices could drop below zero because of storage costs, as the TP market cramps up? And folks buying TP futures on long rolls might get stuck with big losses as the prices drop into the toilet?
Are you predicting a constipated market? :wink:
jumppilot

Post by jumppilot »

johan851 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:15 pm Apparently our local Costco restocks every night. I heard from an employee that the trick is to line up a bit before they open and then (their words) run to get it in time. Ridiculous, but I'm considering grabbing a pack that way since we're starting to run low.
And that is why I haven’t been to Costco for a couple weeks.

I used to go there a couple times a week for Diet Coke and would leave $500 later. I’m sure their sales are hurting - I’m not going to wait in line 30 minutes when I can get toilet paper from second-tier grocery stores.
student

Post by student »

MadHungarian wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:23 pm Woo hoo, made my first Costco run in a month, and this one was SO SO much better than the last one a month ago. No line at all this time vs a long 45-minute line last time. Stacks & stacks of TP this time vs no TP last time. I grabbed my one allowed package of TP, just on general principles.
Of course i did make an effort this time to go at a non-peak day & time, which might've made some difference. No crowds at all.

Only concerns were: Still no kleenex, and sanitizer was very limited and very-random-brand. And the shelves were just slightly sparse too. That is, not stacked to the ceilings like usual, and there were fewer items as well, in many aisles. That is, where an aisle might normally have say 40 different items, now there were only 20-30 different items. Evidently there are some production and supply-chain disruptions going on, like we know.

Oh, and nothing was on sale of course. That must be how Costco is paying for all the additional coronavirus costs.
Klleenex is available on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Kleenex-Professi ... 288&sr=8-5
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

My daughter bought 4 rolls for me at Trader Joe's, and my son bought me a six-pack at the Korean market. Who knows when I will get back to Costco, as I am completely self-isolating right now. I did an instacart Costco shopping order two weeks ago, and I don't think toilet paper was available for the online instacart order at that time.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Went to my local Costco this past Sunday around 4 pm. Tons of toilet paper available, also paper towels but not Kirkland brand. No sanitizer, wipes or thermometers. Also no meat except for a few slabs of pork ribs. No beef, no chicken, very limited fish. There was also no checkout line because there were so few customers. Gas @ 1.55.
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

Just made an order from Walmart.
Dan999
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I was at my local grocery yesterday. The paper aisle looked like a herd of locusts had gone through; no TP, paper towels, tissue, napkins at all. But everything else in the store was pretty normal stock. They even had little virus kits with a few masks, gloves, and some hand sanitizer for $10. But we also went to a dollar store and a smaller grocery that day, and both had plenty of TP and paper goods (we didn't buy any, because we have plenty).

It would be interesting to see some of the detail sales reports for various stores to better understand what kind of buying surges have been going around. I know there were the people buying cartloads of stuff at one point. Most stores have limited that now on short items, though I suppose people could still be making multiple trips and having multiple family members do the checkout.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

... and just as we start getting toilet paper, the meat runs out. Fortunately I get meat directly from farmers. Too bad I couldn't get toilet paper directly from trees.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

student wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:00 pm
MadHungarian wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:23 pm Woo hoo, made my first Costco run in a month, and this one was SO SO much better than the last one a month ago. No line at all this time vs a long 45-minute line last time. Stacks & stacks of TP this time vs no TP last time. I grabbed my one allowed package of TP, just on general principles.

Klleenex is available on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Kleenex-Professi ... 288&sr=8-5
Another source - I ordered kleenex, clorox wipes and equate hand sanitizer today/yesterday from Walmart.com. Check a couple times a day as the items appear and then sell out fairly quickly.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

I have been doing Whole Foods free delivery since the lockdown started, but for the past week or so, I've tried to order TP from them and they have been sold out.

Encouraged by the fact that a local bakery re-opened yesterday, and fortified by several artisanal pastries, I ventured out to my local Safeway today.

Scored!

A huge 12 pack of TP, and no lines. Also got 2 dozen eggs. I didn't see any shortages in either TP or eggs (didn't check the other aisles). I may go back to shopping in person there now.
If you're not working on yourself, you're not working.
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

lthenderson wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:51 pm ... and just as we start getting toilet paper, the meat runs out. Fortunately I get meat directly from farmers. Too bad I couldn't get toilet paper directly from trees.
People used to use leaves...
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Wife made a run to Sam's today and scored a 24 pack of TP.

Life is good.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

MadHungarian wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:08 pm
lthenderson wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:51 pm ... and just as we start getting toilet paper, the meat runs out. Fortunately I get meat directly from farmers. Too bad I couldn't get toilet paper directly from trees.
People used to use leaves...
That is probably the origin of the saying, "leaves of three... let them be!"
clip651

Post by clip651 »

student wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:56 pm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ND3MW45?ta ... PDKIKX0DER

In stock.
Not anymore. But I suspect that or something else will be again soon. Things seem to go in and out of stock really quickly these days.
penumbra

Post by penumbra »

Went to Costco today at 4pm. SoCal. Lots of TP and paper towels. No crowds. Very pleasant... lots of meat too.
student

Post by student »

clip651 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:00 pm
student wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:56 pm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ND3MW45?ta ... PDKIKX0DER

In stock.
Not anymore. But I suspect that or something else will be again soon. Things seem to go in and out of stock really quickly these days.
Yes. You have to check often and buy as soon as you see it.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

student wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:35 am
clip651 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:00 pm

In stock.
Yes. You have to check often and buy as soon as you see it.
I just checked on Amazon and it is available. As mentioned above, items in high demand go in and out of stock. Amazon is also improving its delivery timing for non-essential items such as gardening supplies that I am ordering. I go early in the morning and find that stores usually have items such as toilet paper.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I bought $130 worth of groceries and household sundries Monday at Kroger....meat, vegetables, bread, paper goods, canned goods, frozen goods etc. Although I did get different sized can goods on 4 items, such as Campbell Pork and Beans, I was able to buy everything I ordered. Lucky? I guess so reading about you people.
(I purchased these things via the store's assembling the items which I ordered on-line. I picked up the order 5 hours later.
Weeks ago, when this order and pickup system started I had to wait several days to receive. Now it is only hours.)
Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn.~ Delmore Schwartz
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Update:

I've had dentist and docs and errands all week so was able to top off what we normally stock on things. Yay!
Getting a bit "barn sour" so it was good to get out to town.
Noticed other seniors also with masks and gloves, not so much for non seniors and others.

Walmart here has been having limited supplies of TP on weekday mornings (finally!) :D :D , limit one pack (12 or 18 mega roll), usually sold out by noon or so. I think they're putting out only so much for the following morning.
Angel Soft, generic, and sometimes Charmin (yay!). But the Charmin is only the smaller pack of 8 or 12 at best. Usually sold out first, too.
Paper towels, only a little.
Tissues, none.

Most other stores have less or no limited supplies of TP. Paper towels very limited. Tissues none.
Safeway, Fry's, Big Lot's.
(gave up on Costco)

Meat, eggs, and things seem okay, so far. Don't eat meat so . . .
No brown rice. Glad I bought a stack of 12 lb. large bags at Costco late last year.
Sprouts, Safeway, Walmart, Fry's.

Rice Dream always in good supply. I guess it is not a viable alternative for those unable to get milk.
Soy Milk, Almond Milk, okay.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
notBobToo

Post by notBobToo »

Got TP (Charmin) at Harris Teeter yesterday afternoon. First time that I have seen TP at a mainline grocery store (Giant, HT, Safeway) since the Great Hoarding of 2020 began. Still no paper towels, Kleenex or napkins, though.

In my (DMV) area, the last time that I was able to walk in to any store and get TP was about six weeks ago at a Walmart. They (Walmart) also had Kleenex and paper towels (and Clorox too) at that time. Dumb luck, I think. The mob scene shook me though, and I have not been back since. Rumors have it that off-brand, small packages of TP (four pack) and paper towels (single roll) are available almost anytime at the Dollar Store.

Thanks to pointers here, I was able to get paper towels and napkins at Costco (Instacart) and TP direct from Quilted Northern.
khram

Post by khram »

I lucked out and got TP online from Walmart last week. The shipment was only delayed by a day. Also ordered paper towels, shipment was only delayed by a week. I am single, so the supply will last me through the end of the year. Although there were delays, and shipping wasn't free like with Amazon, they've at least been able to fulfill the order.

And no mob scene showed up at my doorstep when it was delivered to steal the toilet paper from me either.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

Toilet paper purchased at ShopRite.
The section was still not as plentiful as in old days, but certainly better than in late March.

I was even able to buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol at CVS.
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

I posted before about Quilted Northern and they sent me a coupon thru email. I didn't think 50 cents was a great deal, though. I'll just opt for getting things in stores.... different brands 'appear' at different times - there's no predicting what will be around.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I went to my local Kroger today for food and the TP aisle was fully stocked. Haven't seen that in a couple months.
Last edited by topper1296 on Sun May 17, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson »

Costco is loaded with the 30 pack Kirkland brand. Got that yesterday.
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Went to grocery store yesterday. Complete isle of toilet paper.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

BeachPerson wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:43 am Costco is loaded with the 30 pack Kirkland brand. Got that yesterday.
Costco in Seattle, no lines, no crowds, no issues.

Plenty of paper products including TP. Still didn’t buy any as when we bought the 30 pack last year (December 2019) we still have at least a years supply. It was probably reflexive purchase when bought the TP in December as when we put it in the storage area we still had relatively plenty and wouldn’t have “needed” to buy until probably March. Lucky I suppose we accidentally bought “early” a product we know that we will eventually use and not historically worried about flushing money down the toilet.

Meat aisle not quite as full, probably due to people “stocking” up like the TP scenario. Bought our usual expected monthly meat usage.

Overall never felt the TP pinch.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I recently heard a joke:

I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

VictoriaF wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:44 pm I recently heard a joke:

I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe.

Victoria
LOL! Thanks a good one. :happy
shelanman

Post by shelanman »

These days, my local Costco seems to have Charmin about 10-20% of the time, and their own brand of TP almost always.

The more amazing thing though was that I found a package of Bounty paper towels in stock today!

That was very exciting, because I'm using the "emergency pack" of store brand stuff I bought when everything disappeared, and they're just awful. Now once I finish the current roll of garbage, I can go back to towels that don't suck! (for now, at least)

It is really sad, though. Three months ago, we lived in the richest country in the history of the world, and now I'm excited because I found another month's worth of paper towels.