How to get Toilet Paper ? seriously.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fulanodetal

Re: How to get Toilet Paper ? seriously.

Post by fulanodetal »

This past Friday April 24th, I was able to buy a pack of Charmin directly from costco.com via 2 day shipping. It arrived 4 days after ordering. They appear to still be in stock: https://www.costco.com/charmin-ultra-so ... 69654.html.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

BeneIRA wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:34 pm
RiotAct wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:05 pm
livesoft wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:56 pm Latest news on toiler paper, shortages easing: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKCN22A30A
The average U.S. household - 2.6 people - uses about 409 rolls a year, according to Georgia Pacific, maker of Angel Soft and Quilted Northern. It estimated that staying at home 24/7 would boost that by 40 percent, and that a two-person household would use nine double rolls in about two weeks.
I find this an unbelievable amount of usage. Or at least it would certainly be for our household.
yeah holy moly :shock:

As a single guy I probably used about one roll a week... that amount probably quadrupled once my wife (then-gf) moved in with me. Still, we’re nowhere near 409 rolls a year.

Maybe their definition of a “roll” is 75 sheets or something?
You do know the average "roll" you get these days is 545 rolls = 1 MEGA roll.

I think you meant 545 sheets - 545 ROLLS would be a heck of a big roll. :shock:

The smallest roll I have seen in a name brand TP is a "double" roll. Most of the time it is "giant" triple rolls or "mega" quadruple rolls. In a standard toilet paper holder, a new double roll looks like a partial roll to me, a triple roll looks about right, and a quadruple roll starts out looking like it barely fits the space. My normal TP purchase is a 36 roll multi-pack of triple rolls at BJs over over 100 standard rolls. This lasts me a good long time. I restocked right before the coronavirus hit the east coast - but after the evening news was already showing empty shelves on the west coast.
guyinlaw

Post by guyinlaw »

I ordered Toilet paper from Costco- Instacart the other day, They delivered Kitchen paper towel.. Trying again today.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

cherijoh wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:37 pm I think you meant 545 sheets - 545 ROLLS would be a heck of a big roll. :shock:

The smallest roll I have seen in a name brand TP is a "double" roll. Most of the time it is "giant" triple rolls or "mega" quadruple rolls. In a standard toilet paper holder, a new double roll looks like a partial roll to me, a triple roll looks about right, and a quadruple roll starts out looking like it barely fits the space. My normal TP purchase is a 36 roll multi-pack of triple rolls at BJs over over 100 standard rolls. This lasts me a good long time. I restocked right before the coronavirus hit the east coast - but after the evening news was already showing empty shelves on the west coast.
Bigger than the Charmin Forever Rolls? [yeah, I guess so]

"Roll is 12" in diameter, and weighs 2 lbs" (1700 sheets!)
https://www.charmin.com/en-us/shop-prod ... rever-roll
1 BATHROOM TISSUE ROLL * 1700 2-PLY SHEETS PER ROLL * TOTAL 17.0 m2 (185 SQ FT) * 9.9 cm X 10.1 cm (3.92 IN X 4 IN)
Width: 12 in.
Weight Per Roll: 2 lbs.
https://shop.charmin.com/forever-roll-ultra-soft/
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

inbox788 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:43 pm
cherijoh wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:37 pm I think you meant 545 sheets - 545 ROLLS would be a heck of a big roll. :shock:

Bigger than the Charmin Forever Rolls? [yeah, I guess so]

"Roll is 12" in diameter, and weighs 2 lbs" (1700 sheets!)
https://www.charmin.com/en-us/shop-prod ... rever-roll
1 BATHROOM TISSUE ROLL * 1700 2-PLY SHEETS PER ROLL * TOTAL 17.0 m2 (185 SQ FT) * 9.9 cm X 10.1 cm (3.92 IN X 4 IN)
Width: 12 in.
Weight Per Roll: 2 lbs.
https://shop.charmin.com/forever-roll-ultra-soft/
That has got to be a commercial product for public restrooms.
student

Post by student »

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

randomguy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:28 pm
livesoft wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:56 pm Latest news on toiler paper, shortages easing: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKCN22A30A
The average U.S. household - 2.6 people - uses about 409 rolls a year, according to Georgia Pacific, maker of Angel Soft and Quilted Northern. It estimated that staying at home 24/7 would boost that by 40 percent, and that a two-person household would use nine double rolls in about two weeks.
I find this an unbelievable amount of usage. Or at least it would certainly be for our household.

As a single guy I probably used about one roll a week... that amount probably quadrupled once my wife (then-gf) moved in with me. Still, we’re nowhere near 409 rolls a year.

Yeah I haven't seen normal sized rolls in years. The article says a 2 person household would go through 9 doubles every 2 weeks. Or 234 in a year. At 4 rolls/week, that is 208. That estimate sounds like it is the ballpark. And heck even doubles are hard to find these days. Most are 3 or 4x.

It is definitely showing up a lot more. Figure in another couple weeks people will stop buying ever roll they see cause they have 100 at home and the stuff will start sticking on the shelves..
cherijoh wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:37 pm

I think you meant 545 sheets - 545 ROLLS would be a heck of a big roll. :shock:

I was being sarcastic. I think Nisiprius or someone a while back had a whole thread about how 1 Mega roll was 10 million regular rolls or something. It is pretty ridiculous. I have no idea what a regular roll even is anymore.
Sandtrap

Why the TP shortage exists?

Post by Sandtrap »

Some of the reasons why the toilet paper shortage exists?

Article/Interview with executives at Georgia Pacific had the following points:

1 There is a split of roughly 50/50 or 40/60 or 60/40 percentage between TP for commercial use and for consumer retail.
2 Commercial use TP comes in huge boxes, sold by the pallet to large industry, etc. No decorative packaging. Different quality.
3 Consumer use TP comes in household size packages with decorative wrap (Charmin Bear) and is sold retail, supermarkets, etc.
4 The two different types of TP sometimes come out of different factories and distribution systems.
5 Since the "lockdown", whereas those at work used to use the TP at work, or in airports, etc, now. . . everyone's at home using residential retail TP and buying up the amount that they used to use at work and elsewhere outside of the home.
6 Thus, there is a glut of commercial TP and not enough retail consumer TP.
7 The factories can't repurpose their commercial line to produce retail quality because the steps and packaging is different. And, it would be cost prohibitive to do all that for "hopefully" a short term condition.
8 The upshot of all this is the balanced allocation of Commercial TP and Consumer Retail TP will be restored when everyone goes back to work, uses the bathrooms in airports and other public places, etc.

Knowing all this has not helped me find TP on my last 2 trips to town. :(
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

I see a business opportunity here!

Oh wait, all business is shut down. Never mind.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

cherijoh wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:38 pmThat has got to be a commercial product for public restrooms.
Nope. This one is target at consumers. It’s a premium product and the cardboard center looks nearly home standard. They’ve got these big center ones for commercial that use special holders, but they’re not the ultra soft variety.
guyinlaw

Post by guyinlaw »

guyinlaw wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:38 pm I ordered Toilet paper from Costco- Instacart the other day, They delivered Kitchen paper towel.. Trying again today.
Instacart worked. Have enough toilet paper to last many months.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

I scored a 30 pack at Kroger for $9.99. Cheaper than Costco ($16.99 if I recall correctly) although I haven't opened it yet to test for softness. I haven't been to a store in over a month so was happy to find TP and a couple of other items that I wanted.
Teague

Post by Teague »

guyinlaw wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:38 pm I ordered Toilet paper from Costco- Instacart the other day, They delivered Kitchen paper towel.. Trying again today.
Reminds me of the MASH episode where the 4077th requisitioned rectal thermometers but instead received spark plugs.

As noted Col. Potter, "Both useful items, but hardly interchangeable."
Semper Augustus
bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers »

I have been buying Kirkland MegaRolls for a long time, and brought some to my parents recently. They were much bigger both in size and number of sheets than the Kroger brand my parents had on hand.

I did buy Kleenex to cover non-toliet related tasks that would have otherwise used to for.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

all check out this somewhat funny 6.53 minute video of two stranded dudes in Florida, living out of a trailer RV making their own TP, a Vice news video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VSYTyjZW60
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

I didn't read all the pages but noticed charmin as a direct buy suggestion. I also looked up quilted northern which has its own website to buy from directly ... I looked about one week ago and while they do provide a savings coupon, they also were 'out of' some of the packs of them. You could check back, though.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

Went to Costco this morning at 10:30 and never saw so much Costco toilet paper since becoming a Price Club member all those decades ago.

Last edited by BigFoot48 on Mon May 04, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 14-time loser
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

BigFoot48 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:21 pm Went to Costco this morning at 10:30 and never saw so much Costco toilet paper since becoming a Price Club member all those decades ago. Will try to post a picture.

Thanks for posting. I forgot what toilet paper in a store looks like. :happy
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

BigFoot48 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:21 pm Went to Costco this morning at 10:30 and never saw so much Costco toilet paper since becoming a Price Club member all those decades ago.
Whoa! Supply chain fixed?
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

baconavocado wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:31 pm
BigFoot48 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:21 pm Went to Costco this morning at 10:30 and never saw so much Costco toilet paper since becoming a Price Club member all those decades ago.
Where I am I have seen tons of toilet paper at multiple stores. One store was packed to the gills with any variety you could ever want. No purchase limits. Target had some. Walmart had some and so on. The shortage is definitely over where I am.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

Today is the first day in a while where Amazon and Walmart both have quality toilet paper available at the same time.

The end is in sight!

(I wrote the second sentence and then kind of shook my head.). :oops:
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Out of curiosity, I checked the port-o-potty in the road construction project behind my house. I now know where to go if I run out.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

baconavocado wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:31 pm
Not out east it isn't. The Costco here can't keep it in stock even with the Limit 1 signs up all around the store. They not only get a limited supply in as in 1 to 2 pallets per week but they also don't offer the premium soft variety in brand or Kirkland style. It's take what's available before it becomes nothing at all. The same with the eggs, meat, poultry, frozen pizza's, frozen meals, baking goods. - No softness needed there. :P It's incredible what's been happening here.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
DownToThis

Post by DownToThis »

HomeStretch wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:28 pm
BigFoot48 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:21 pm Went to Costco this morning at 10:30 and never saw so much Costco toilet paper since becoming a Price Club member all those decades ago. Will try to post a picture.

Thanks for posting. I forgot what toilet paper in a store looks like. :happy
They need to spread the wealth, no TP at the Costco in MD yesterday!
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

I went to the dollar tree today and they had a reasonable stock of TP (several generic brands), paper towel rolls, and napkins.

None of it was brandname, but for the 4 of us in the store, we could have each walked out with probably 10 of each of the above.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Amazon had some in stocks yesterday. I only know via a blog I subscribe to. I didn't buy any since I think we have enough toilet paper, paper towels and kleenex to last a long time. We had a bunch prior to the virus hitting and then anytime we are out, we buy 1 (yes only 1) pack if we see it. I also bought a pack from Walmart online. I was buying other stuff and saw it and figured I'd never get it. And once I ordered I got the "item delayed" email which didn't surprise me. What did surprise me was it arriving about 4 days later.

Hand sanitizer, clorox wipes, and thermometers are still near impossible to find. Also meats are getting in shorter supply.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

We got paper towels (for us) and toilet paper (for parents) at Sam’s last week but they were out again yesterday. We are in good supply for now though.
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

lthenderson wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:54 pm Out of curiosity, I checked the port-o-potty in the road construction project behind my house. I now know where to go if I run out.
That's an interesting thought. I bet the port-o-potties are tied into the commercial TP channel. We can all start renting port-o-potties for our back yard. That not only uses the under-utilitized commercial TP channel, and helps un-constipate the economy too, but also is very retro!
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Home Depot had toilet paper over the weekend. I never saw that in the store before.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

abuss368 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:42 pm Home Depot had toilet paper over the weekend. I never saw that in the store before.
Interesting.....
What department??

j🏝
kacang

Post by kacang »

abuss368 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:42 pm Home Depot had toilet paper over the weekend. I never saw that in the store before.
Same at our Home Depot (Bay Area peninsula), saw them in some carts. There was also a table near the entrance, full of hand sanitizer. And even more amazingly, most people were walking by it without taking a second look.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:25 pm
Interesting.....
What department??

j🏝
Cleaning supplies.
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

They've always had it.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

eye.surgeon wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:15 pm
They've always had it.
Our store never has.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Trip to town yesterday yielded "0" Toilet Paper.

Walmart
Safeway
Fry's

At this rate, our supply will eventually "glide path" to zero.
Ordered 3 "cases" of 2ply commercial toilet paper from Amazon.com

Sure miss my "Charmin Ultra Soft" in jumbo packs. . all you can buy and use. . ."I remember when. . . ". . . "those were the days". . :shock:

Great "Toilet Paper Shortage of 2020". RBD. :( :(

Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

I went to Target yesterday, they were fully stocked with tp. But no Kleenex.

Dave
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:57 am Trip to town yesterday yielded "0" Toilet Paper.

Walmart
Safeway
Fry's

At this rate, our supply will eventually "glide path" to zero.
Ordered 3 "cases" of 2ply commercial toilet paper from Amazon.com

Sure miss my "Charmin Ultra Soft" in jumbo packs. . all you can buy and use. . ."I remember when. . . ". . . "those were the days". . :shock:

Great "Toilet Paper Shortage of 2020". RBD. :( :(

You might need to come up with a better model for rationing your TP and find a SWR (safe wipe rate)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
arf30

Post by arf30 »

Amazon (prime) has been pretty stocked with name brand TP lately, have not had any issues ordering 2 large packs of cottonelle this week. They sell out quick, but restock quickly as well.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Just ordered a couple of Charmin Ultra Soft Mega Roll 9-packs at Walgreens.com. Even had a $1 off coupon!
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Just received 2 18 pack mega rolls Charmin from Walmart.com. I don't see any available at the moment but keep checking and you'll probably eventually get a hit.

Other brands show as available for 2 day delivery.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

@9:45am
Our midwest Costco has Kirkland TP & wipes (limited supply), Scott shop towels.
Looks like they are no longer limiting how many people are inside, it was as pack as I've seen it in weeks.
Meat section seem full but not all the cuts are available, many people were waiting for their turns to get to the meats.
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

Just got back from Big Lots - 5/8/2020 10:AM ish. MD/DC.

They have walls of toilet paper, paper towel, Clorox, and no name bleach.
bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers »

Friday 5/8 @ noon
Home depot had case a commercially wrapped TP rolls liked you'd see in a hotel for $1/roll.

Saturday 5/9 @ 8 PM
Target still have a small selections of TP, Charmin, some store store brand, in different size packs.
The store was very busy and there was a line to get in and a line to check out, but the fact that there was still TP at closing time on a weekend says to me that the stock is back up, or everyone shopping already has plenty of TP at this point
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Walmart had Charmin and "something Soft" and generic brands this past weekdays, only in the mornings as it sold out in a few hours.
I happened to be in town running errands and groceries and managed a bunch of them.
All other stores were out as usual.

I don't know where all the TP is, but stores around here are consistently empty.
j
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Availability of TP has been a serious issue here is SE Michigan. Me and DW are doing some serious isolation as we both are considered at risk, so not making shopping trips to any store. We have signed up for a grocery delivery service and have had our groceries delivered for last 6-7 weeks (working out really good). Issue is that TP continues to be out of stock. I have been able to score a couple on-line TP purchases via Amazon & Costco, so we're okay but starting to run a little low. Today, I noticed Costco has eliminated nearly all paper product (TP, Paper Towels, etc.) from on-line purchase until May 31st. Without any clear explanation for this action, I can only assume this action is obvious attempt to drive traffic to Brick & Mortar stores which I find totally unacceptable. I find it a lack of customer caring and falls flat with claims of customer/employee safety. I for one will be rethinking my future membership to Costco if I can't count on them during this pandemic. That's my rant for the day, and thanks for listening. :twisted:
student

Post by student »

AllMostThere wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:47 am Availability of TP has been a serious issue here is SE Michigan. Me and DW are doing some serious isolation as we both are considered at risk, so not making shopping trips to any store. We have signed up for a grocery delivery service and have had our groceries delivered for last 6-7 weeks (working out really good). Issue is that TP continues to be out of stock. I have been able to score a couple on-line TP purchases via Amazon & Costco, so we're okay but starting to run a little low. Today, I noticed Costco has eliminated nearly all paper product (TP, Paper Towels, etc.) from on-line purchase until May 31st. Without any clear explanation for this action, I can only assume this action is obvious attempt to drive traffic to Brick & Mortar stores which I find totally unacceptable. I find it a lack of customer caring and falls flat with claims of customer/employee safety. I for one will be rethinking my future membership to Costco if I can't count on them during this pandemic. That's my rant for the day, and thanks for listening. :twisted:
You can order TP from Walmart. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Angel-Soft-T ... /383597270

Takes about 10 days.
RetireSomeDay

Post by RetireSomeDay »

student wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:56 am
AllMostThere wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:47 am Availability of TP has been a serious issue here is SE Michigan. Me and DW are doing some serious isolation as we both are considered at risk, so not making shopping trips to any store. We have signed up for a grocery delivery service and have had our groceries delivered for last 6-7 weeks (working out really good). Issue is that TP continues to be out of stock. I have been able to score a couple on-line TP purchases via Amazon & Costco, so we're okay but starting to run a little low. Today, I noticed Costco has eliminated nearly all paper product (TP, Paper Towels, etc.) from on-line purchase until May 31st. Without any clear explanation for this action, I can only assume this action is obvious attempt to drive traffic to Brick & Mortar stores which I find totally unacceptable. I find it a lack of customer caring and falls flat with claims of customer/employee safety. I for one will be rethinking my future membership to Costco if I can't count on them during this pandemic. That's my rant for the day, and thanks for listening. :twisted:
You can order TP from Walmart. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Angel-Soft-T ... /383597270

Takes about 10 days.
+1. Many brand names available routinely and ships in reasonable time. We padded our order with other needs like Trash bags and such to get free shipping at $35.
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

AllMostThere wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:47 am Availability of TP has been a serious issue here is SE Michigan. ...
In addition to online order that others have mentioned, do you have "younger" acquaintances that you can utilize? We do TP run for older acquaintances periodically. Just leave the package in the already opened garage - find a out of the way spot, and tell them not to touch it for a week. No contact needed.
student

Post by student »

abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Our stocks have been coming back now. Home Depot had it again!