How to get Toilet Paper ? seriously.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
RomeoMustDie

Re: How to get Toilet Paper ? seriously.

Post by RomeoMustDie »

Toilet paper is a first world luxury. Just use a tabó :wink:
clip651

Post by clip651 »

fru-gal wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:02 am
bayview wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:32 pm
RetiredArtist wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:18 pm
bayview wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:01 am Kleenex (I’ve still seen it on shelves) + Cottonelle FreshCare Flushable Wipes, aka “butt wipes”
Our Public Utility Department advises that Kleenex, paper towels, flushable wipes will clog your drains. You could use them & throw in trash, like diapers.
Interesting! I did not know that about Kleenex.

The wipe package includes a claim that it won’t, but it’s smart to follow utility advice.
The one day I used Kleenex instead of toilet paper it did clog the toilet.
Yep. Kleenex, paper towels, newspaper, etc don't belong in the toilet. They will clog it.

Just TP, and well, the things you came there to do.

I've heard this from multiple plumbers (who weren't visiting to unclog a toilet at the time.)
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

American ingenuity to the rescue ...
https://i.imgur.com/lNs7hAH.gifv
goblegoble

Post by goblegoble »

got a 24 pack from walmart today around 1:30pm. Never been so excited to score some TP.
rj49

Post by rj49 »

A bidet hose works pretty well. I used to work in the Soviet Union, and they used torn-up newspaper in public places and their toilet paper that was the consistency of our paper towels. Nothing was flushed, since the plumbing system couldn't handle it, so the dirty paper was put in a little basket by the toilet and emptied. My modification of that is to use a bidet hose and then finish the job with a wipe, which I then put in the garbage. No TP needed at all and much more effective and hygienic than TP. A simpler option is a bidet bottle, which you fill with water and squirt--I take that when traveling.

I was stationed in Japan for a few years, and they do things right: an electric heated bidet seat with multiple spray options, and a toilet room separate from a bathing room. Washing is done with a spray hose next to a deep heated tub, which is only used for soaking and relaxing and the water replaced infrequently. Public toilets are on the ground and squatted over, not sat on and peed on by everyone, and not a cell phone booth.
pascalwager

Post by pascalwager »

Well, I got lucky and now have 6+ high-quality mega-rolls. This should last at least a month, I think. I happened to hear a local drug store clerk mention that they would get a load in Wednesday, so I checked back twice that day. They still had some remnants (behind the checkout area counters only) and I scored a four-pack. I've been increasingly frustrated and upset at the sight of long, empty paper-supply shelves and was even considering reducing food fiber intake to make personal hygiene much less challenging.

I was trying to remember what I used on very long back-packing trips in wilderness areas. Twigs and pebbles as I recall--toilet paper is harder to dispose of and adds pack weight and volume--but backpacking food tends to be low-fiber. I've got lots of smooth rocks and vegetation in my back yard, but I hope not to need them for personal hygiene.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

I got a email from my friend in Australia. The police have been assigned to supermarkets to quell panic and protect staff after the Prime Minister told Australians to stop clearing toilet paper and other items. I also read about a fight that erupted in a toilet paper aisle in Johannesburg, South Africa. Panic buying of toilet paper seems to be an universal phenomenon.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

I used to own some apartment buildings.
Plumbing lines and toilet clogs were cleared at my expense, and only charged to the tenant if an obvious violation. IE: Aquarium sand, kids toys, little plastic G.I Joe's and action figures, tooth brushes, etc.

I'm glad I no longer own those buildings because this TP thing would be an expense nightmare.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:34 pm Plumbing lines and toilet clogs were cleared at my expense, and only charged to the tenant if an obvious violation. IE: Aquarium sand, kids toys, little plastic G.I Joe's and action figures, tooth brushes, etc.
Tooth brush as a toilet paper alternative!

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
sergio

Post by sergio »

As someone who travels to mainland China alot.... kleenex or baby wipes do a (good enough) job until returning home to a bathtub...
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I jokingly told my son to go get some toilet paper, but he immediately said, "I brought 8 rolls home from college when they shut the place down and told everybody to go home. I had just restocked TP, paper towels, other cleaning supplies for the rest of the semester at Walmart a couple weeks ago."

Then he added, "I'm going to the liquor store. Do you want anything?"
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Ok BH's, this thread is officially TRENDING ON BOGLEHEADS NOW!! :D
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I think the tide may have turned. My neighbor just got out of his car carrying a big pack of toilet paper!
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
1130Super

Post by 1130Super »

sksbog wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:48 pm Order bidet from amazon, next day delivery:)
Out of stock
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:00 pm I think the tide may have turned. My neighbor just got out of his car carrying a big pack of toilet paper!
Maybe that's a good omen for the stock market!
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:04 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:00 pm I think the tide may have turned. My neighbor just got out of his car carrying a big pack of toilet paper!
TP sales and availability has a .50 correlation to equity trends.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Or at least the market's stock!
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

iPhone Rationing
"Apple limits online iPhone purchases to two per person"
https://finance.yahoo.com/video/apple-l ... 05572.html

I guess I won't be able to hoard these to wipe my butt either.
What a world ;)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:40 pm
Not sure what's so special about your neighbor. She could be like one of these folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ZqpIoUJno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1nEnOmC6IQ
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

inbox788 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:46 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:40 pm
Not sure what's so special about your neighbor. She could be one of these folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ZqpIoUJno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1nEnOmC6IQ
That's so sad people behave like that! I hope people learn to be more patient and have compassion! :|

Edit: My point is that I don't think a package of toilet paper is worth escalating to a physical altercation.
Last edited by JAZZISCOOL on Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:49 pm That's so sad people behave like that! I hope people learn to be more patient and have compassion! :|
Are you referring to the people who load up a cart filled with toilet paper?
pascalwager

Post by pascalwager »

I arrived just after 6 am today to hopefully improve my paper-chase odds, but my supermarket shelves were nearly empty of any paper products--just like last week. I'd been bolstered the night before by watching a PR video by the store (family-owned, regional chain) CEO, but it only created more disappointment. The CEO's message bore no resemblance to my personal reality, and my drive home was anxious, disturbed, and forlorn.

However, the other day I completed the associated, obligatory task using only 16 "squares" of tissue (4 times 4) and I'm developing the confidence that I can go a long way with my current 6+ mega-rolls. I may have no other choice, but I intend to gleefully pounce if I happen to be at the right store at the right time.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

I just finished watching Doomsday Preppers there was one guy on their with 10 years worth of toilet paper. I thought right away about this thread. LOL
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

Get a roll of shop towels, take a hacksaw to it and create a few rolls of good enough TP.
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

Since you are from So Cal, surely you have a Lakers, Dodgers, or Raider tee shirt. You already have toilet paper, but just don't know it.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

btq96r wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:53 pm Get a roll of shop towels, take a hacksaw to it and create a few rolls of good enough TP.
Please don't dispose of shop towels in sewer lines or septic systems. They will not disintegrate, but instead clog sewer lines and clog sewage treatment plants.
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

averagedude wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:02 am Since you are from So Cal, surely you have a Lakers, Dodgers, or Raider tee shirt. You already have toilet paper, but just don't know it.

Savage...
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I've been out backpacking, digging catholes, pooping in them, and packing out my soiled wipes to dispose of later in the garbage.

Perhaps the USA needs to have a forced national service starting with all 18-20 year-olds to teach them how to deal with calamities and how to help their fellow citizens deal with calamities. Anybody who enrolls for such a forced service can get some future education credits.

Or perhaps you only get your government bailout check if you can go online, take the online course in how not to hoard and how to wash your hands, and then pass the test. If you pass the test, then you also get a free roll of TP shipped to you along with your check.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Sheepdog wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:57 am
btq96r wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:53 pm Get a roll of shop towels, take a hacksaw to it and create a few rolls of good enough TP.
Please don't dispose of shop towels in sewer lines or septic systems. They will not disintegrate, but instead clog sewer lines and clog sewage treatment plants.
Also, shop towels are chemically treated and may leave a nasty rash or prolonged itch. :confused

B Careful.
GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker »

If you can't get TP, and if you can get a replacement shower head which includes a hand held attachment with a long enough hose, then you can wash and rinse the nether region as much as needed (and rinse down the shower floor if needed). For example, this type, though there are many brands and styles.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I've got a roll I'll sell you ;) I assume OP has solved the problem by now ?!?!?
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds. Retired 9/19. Still working on mortgage payoff.
anonsdca

Post by anonsdca »

Kroeger re stocked it in my area yesterday. It was the first restocking I have seen, so that was good. I got one bag.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Do people really need instructions in how to manage without TP? I thought common sense would prevail. I guess not.

Try and think about using a shower as a bidet, or whatever.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

averagedude wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:02 am Since you are from So Cal, surely you have a Lakers, Dodgers, or Raider tee shirt. You already have toilet paper, but just don't know it.
OP is from San Diego. I’m sure there’s a Chargers t-shirt in the back of the closet somewhere.

OP, did you find what you needed? Things are definitely improving in the middle of town, but I think you’re in North County.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

Had a toilet paper sighting yesterday of individual rolls of the store brand, about 20-25. This same store was wiped out of quite a bit last week. They were out of chicken, beef, bread, virtually all produce, paper products, sanitizer, pasta, soup, etc. This week, people were walking right past the toilet paper, myself includes (am I that desperate for 1-ply store brand? Is anyone?) and the store had quite a bit more stocked of the above items and another store, outside of sanitizer, toilet paper and a couple of other essentials, was fully stocked. I am hoping we are slowly turning the tide on this whole ordeal in terms of stores being wiped out of everything.
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

livesoft wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:55 pm I jokingly told my son to go get some toilet paper, but he immediately said, "I brought 8 rolls home from college when they shut the place down and told everybody to go home. I had just restocked TP, paper towels, other cleaning supplies for the rest of the semester at Walmart a couple weeks ago."

Then he added, "I'm going to the liquor store. Do you want anything?"
Howdy

This young man’s resourceful attitude is a clear reflection of your superb parenting skills.

The correct answer to his question is, of course “Everclear” ( 95% ethanol), useful for diy hand sanitizer when mixed with aloe vera 2:1 and also useful administered internally in suitable formulas.

I spent many years in several parts of the Middle East where home distillation and chemistry experiments to produce potable spirits engaged a substantial part of my time. I may reactivate this hobby.

Good luck to all, and keep the bar well stocked in this period of trial

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Here is how famous South Florida celebrity Dave Barry gets his toilet paper during this crisis - and he indicates it will work anywhere on the planet earth :D Also he provides helpful suggestions on social distancing.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/corona ... 71166.html
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of [Financial] Wisdom"- Pillar 6: The Eternal Triangle. Risk, return & cost are the 3 sides of the eternal triangle of investing and are too powerful to ignore.
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

Oh, sorry, didn't think that needed clarifying. This would be like in Iraq circa 2003 when we put our used baby wipes in ziplock bags then onto further disposal. Obviously it would be a last resort kind of solution.
shelanman

Post by shelanman »

It seems like there's plenty to go around, once everybody finishes buying as much as they can store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pqXaVVmN-c
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

RomeoMustDie wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:07 am Toilet paper is a first world luxury. Just use a tabó :wink:
Romeo you mean this? the link is family friendly using a tabó

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzb98tQp53I
Slowtraveler

Post by Slowtraveler »

Get a spray bottle, fill it with water, spray away to clean. It'll last longer than paper and save paper in the long run. I prefer handheld bidets to toilet paper but if you're on the fence, my posted idea works from personal experience.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Yes, in fact a 3/21 NY Times article on this topic:

"Americans Coping With the Coronavirus Are Clogging Toilets

Sewage systems and toilets are backing up as consumers clean their homes with disinfectant wipes and turn to paper towels, napkins and baby wipes to cope with the lack of toilet paper." :shock:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/21/us/f ... e=Homepage
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

We have found some, but it is very hit or miss. I would say 2 stores out of 10 had some in the last 9 days. Luckily I think we have enough for 3-4 weeks or so. As others said, once the effects of hoarding dissipate it will be available. I thought it would be by now. Most stores I have been to have a limit of one pack. The tricky thing is all stores get deliveries and restock on different schedules.
BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson »

The two Wegman's where I live have been stocking the the six packs. You are allowed one six pack a visit
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
RomeoMustDie

Post by RomeoMustDie »

retire2022 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:06 pm
RomeoMustDie wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:07 am Toilet paper is a first world luxury. Just use a tabó :wink:
Romeo you mean this? the link is family friendly using a tabó

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzb98tQp53I
Yup. Toilet paper is a non-essential good.
RJC

Post by RJC »

You can find plenty at the asian grocery stores.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed several posts and replies that were below an acceptable threshold. See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

mrtiger wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:58 pm This has to be a troll question.
What rock have you been hiding under?!
frugaltigris

Post by frugaltigris »

Check sam's club.
Mactheriverrat
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Post by Mactheriverrat »

I turned 60 back in September 2019- I think that I still feel younger and see a younger me in the mirror. Seems I'm at a age that I looked at people who were 60 and thought that they were old. I have a blue collar job and have a few more years of doing it. Most days I feel great but some days I can feel the wear and tear of life's struggles on my body. Strange feelings. I seen a lot of changes and advancements in those 60 years.

And just when you think you and seen it all.
Now I came across a site which is a toilet paper calculator.
https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com
Everything evolves. | May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.