Have you been personally affected by supply chain problems?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fredflinstone

Have you been personally affected by supply chain problems?

Post by fredflinstone »

We've all heard about supply chain problems in China affecting manufacturers here in the U.S. I'm curious if any of you have personally experienced supply chain problems in your daily lives. For example, are there any surgeons out there whose hospitals are running out of surgical supplies? Any auto mechanics out there who can't get the parts they need to fix their customers' cars?
Stocks 28 / Gold 23 / Long-term US treasuries 19 / Cash (mainly CDs) 22 / TIPS 8
z3r0c00l

Re: Have you been personally affected by supply chain problems?

Post by z3r0c00l »

Waited an extra month for a large batch of ID lanyards back when only China was severely impacted. The only real impacts I am seeing around here is the result of locals panic buying/hoarding things they can't possibly use in a year, i.e. the buy side is causing the disruption here not the supply.
Chicken Little

Post by Chicken Little »

Thorne has not fulfilled an order placed Tuesday. Sent email citing disruption.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

+1 what I am seeing is senseless hording... not just of staples that cant be used in a year but also of bottled water (it comes out of your kitchen tap you $(*&$%(*$% ) and probably lots of excess food that will rot before being eaten.

:oops:
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

z3r0c00l wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:47 am... The only real impacts I am seeing around here is the result of locals panic buying/hoarding things they can't possibly use in a year, i.e. the buy side is causing the disruption here not the supply.
This has been my only impact, I can't know that they're hoarding a years worth of stuff, but the grocery store I typically go to has some stuff sold out and there re-stockers seem to be working over-time running around with pallets of stuff to put on shelves. Another store changed its hours to close earlier explaining that they will do so until further notice to give them more time to re-stock and clean.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

Because of the hoarding of toilet paper, I bought another pack about a week earlier than I normally would.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Yes. Our surgery center can't get masks because all these fools are buying them up.

They're not even the right type of masks that will protect people from getting the virus; the ones we use are the flimsy ones that provide no air seal whatsoever. If laypeople are going to hoard them, which they should not, at least buy the correct ones.
DragonJoey3

Post by DragonJoey3 »

I rely on a CPAP machine to keep my breathing at night, and that requires distilled water to work. I had to pay double the normal price at a small hole-in-the-wall grocery store to get any distilled water (which isn't good for drinking anyway so they tell me) because people are hoarding gallons of water for some reason.

I'm considering buying a water distiller that will make my own distilled water now.

Other than that, lysol wipes are out everywhere, and I had to use the same hole-in-the-wall grocer to get bleach for laundry.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

The craziness in the stores. As an older person so in a vulnerable group, I'd like to shop when the stores are not jammed with people, but that's impossible currently. So I am using up stuff in my cabinets.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

We are nearly out of PPE and cancelling elective surgeries to preserve what limited supply we have left at our medical practice.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

DragonJoey3 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:05 am
I'm considering buying a water distiller that will make my own distilled water now.
Or you can just do this:
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Distilled-Water
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

jharkin wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:52 am +1 what I am seeing is senseless hording... not just of staples that cant be used in a year but also of bottled water (it comes out of your kitchen tap you $(*&$%(*$% ) and probably lots of excess food that will rot before being eaten.

:oops:
I feel a lot of anxiety because I didn’t stock up on food, cleaners etc. mom and I have a full fridge. All of the food will be eaten. But we don’t have excess. We have enough TP for 3 or 4 weeks. I just hope people calm down a bit.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

At work, I have had delays in getting compute servers and SSDs. This is likely due to manufacturing slowdowns in Asia.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

My hard drive crashed three weeks ago. I ordered a replacement that same day, and I'm still waiting. Fortunately, I have multiple devices to keep me occupied - something that would have been unheard of when I was a kid.
dual

Post by dual »

I have NOT been affected. I ordered a pair of prescription eyeglasses from Goggles4u on Mar. 2. This a small outfit with a 3 person office in CA and their glasses are manufactured in China. The post office says they will be delivered today. This 2 week turnaround is about the same as I have gotten in the past.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Went to the grocery store this morning for eggs, purchased w/o problem. I did see a guy with two 6 pack carriers of various wines in his basket, nothing else. Now there is a guy with his priorities straight!
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

A foreign vendor I work with is unable to send their staff over to continue their work for us. It is not possible to do the work remotely. The unofficial estimate is the US travel restrictions will be in place for 30 days, but there was no timeline indicated in the order..

This could turn into a worse than day-for-day slide, as I have to plan their work around our regular business operations. The travel restrictions could invalidate the current windows we've created for their work.
Topic Author
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone »

runner3081 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:22 am We are nearly out of PPE and cancelling elective surgeries to preserve what limited supply we have left at our medical practice.
What is PPE?
Stocks 28 / Gold 23 / Long-term US treasuries 19 / Cash (mainly CDs) 22 / TIPS 8
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

fredflinstone wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:56 pm
runner3081 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:22 am We are nearly out of PPE and cancelling elective surgeries to preserve what limited supply we have left at our medical practice.
What is PPE?
First Google result - personal protective equipment
Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 »

What is PPE?
Personal Protective Equipment
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

After our governor closed schools for the next 4 weeks and seeing other states shutting down restaurants and such, we made a quick run to the grocery store to stock up on a few things in case we have to shelter in place for awhile. Other than eggs and toilet paper, we found everything else we wanted. But I did notice a lot of grossly overloaded carts being pushed through the store. We have a bidet, so toilet paper is just a luxury item for us anyway but I will miss the eggs.
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

bob60014 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:51 pm Went to the grocery store this morning for eggs, purchased w/o problem. I did see a guy with two 6 pack carriers of various wines in his basket, nothing else. Now there is a guy with his priorities straight!

I chuckled when I saw a guy coming out of Sam's at 8 AM last Friday with nothing but one bundle of TP and a huge bottle of rum. Victory!
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Calli114 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:30 pm
bob60014 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:51 pm Went to the grocery store this morning for eggs, purchased w/o problem. I did see a guy with two 6 pack carriers of various wines in his basket, nothing else. Now there is a guy with his priorities straight!

I chuckled when I saw a guy coming out of Sam's at 8 AM last Friday with nothing but one bundle of TP and a huge bottle of rum. Victory!
The TP was to keep the marriage happy for her. The rum was to keep the marriage happy for him.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:24 pm After our governor closed schools for the next 4 weeks and seeing other states shutting down restaurants and such, we made a quick run to the grocery store to stock up on a few things in case we have to shelter in place for awhile. Other than eggs and toilet paper, we found everything else we wanted. But I did notice a lot of grossly overloaded carts being pushed through the store. We have a bidet, so toilet paper is just a luxury item for us anyway but I will miss the eggs.
I live in a semi-rural area, and there are 1-2 people around here who sells eggs, usually a stand at the roadside on an honor system. One moved away and his land was plowed to start building a condominium complex :-( so I don't remember if this is the egg time of year.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

fru-gal wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:07 amAs an older person so in a vulnerable group, I'd like to shop when the stores are not jammed with people, but that's impossible currently.
I've seen headlines of some stores starting to have "senior hours" at the start of the day. Hopefully that becomes a thing.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

climber2020 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:02 am Yes. Our surgery center can't get masks because all these fools are buying them up.

They're not even the right type of masks that will protect people from getting the virus; the ones we use are the flimsy ones that provide no air seal whatsoever.
If people are buying the wrong masks, how is that affecting your surgery center? That doesn't make any sense to me. Or does the surgery center also use the wrong type of masks?
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

What is PPE?
I happen to know someone pretty senior at a major company that manufactures PPE for surgeries. Before the coronavirus was anything but a minor blip in China, they had a huge manufacturing mishap and had to recall a giant number of sanitized (whatever the proper word is) surgical scrubs. The coronovirus happened. Terrible luck.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

ScubaHogg wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:23 am
climber2020 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:02 am Yes. Our surgery center can't get masks because all these fools are buying them up.

They're not even the right type of masks that will protect people from getting the virus; the ones we use are the flimsy ones that provide no air seal whatsoever.
If people are buying the wrong masks, how is that affecting your surgery center? That doesn't make any sense to me. Or does the surgery center also use the wrong type of masks?
There's an article on the Times this morning about how those in charge created distrust, by saying to the public:

1. These masks won't help you.
2. You should not buy them so there are enough left for healthcare workers.

Then it said that the masks help a little.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

We don't use N95 respirators for elective cataract surgery. Last time I wore one of those uncomfortable things was as an intern when dealing with tuberculosis patients.

This is what we use: https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S- ... ical-Masks

People are buying these thinking that it will prevent them from inhaling coronavirus. It will not. And now we can't buy them from our supplier, so when we run out, we run out.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

climber2020 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:29 am

We don't use N95 respirators for elective cataract surgery. Last time I wore one of those uncomfortable things was as an intern when dealing with tuberculosis patients.

People are buying these thinking that it will prevent them from inhaling coronavirus. It will not. And now we can't buy them from our supplier, so when we run out, we run out.
I guess the obvious question is, if these masks won't stop a two-way transfer of viruses, why in the world would a surgical center use them? To a laymen, that seems...unwise.
Topic Author
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone »

fru-gal wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:28 am

There's an article on the Times this morning about how those in charge created distrust, by saying to the public:

Yes, I had noticed this. Like most people, I don't like being lied to.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Yep, it didn't make one ounce of sense.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

ScubaHogg wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:31 am I guess the obvious question is, if these masks won't stop a two-way transfer of viruses, why in the world would a surgical center use them? To a laymen, that seems...unwise.
1) Protection for myself from splashes like blood or fluid from inside the eye
2) When I talk to my assistant, the mask prevents me from spraying saliva all over the surgical field
3) They are effective against larger particles like bacteria. Viruses are tiny by comparison, which is why they make N95 masks specifically for that purpose. Post operative endophthalmitis is caused by bacteria, so for our purposes the regular masks are sufficient.
SeeMoe

Post by SeeMoe »

We are seniors in a CCRC that sends out lots of memos per COVID19, but is doing little “ to protect seniors as the CDC advises! They won’t even put up signs at the entrances stating “ Restricted Area”. No offers by the staff to do food shopping, getting drugs for us either!” We are on our own! “Many of the residents keep referring to past flu seasons thinking this one will be the same....

Discouraged About The Days Ahead,
Moe... :shock:
"By gnawing through a dike, even a Rat can destroy a nation ." {Edmund Burke}
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

climber2020 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:39 am
ScubaHogg wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:31 am I guess the obvious question is, if these masks won't stop a two-way transfer of viruses, why in the world would a surgical center use them? To a laymen, that seems...unwise.
1) Protection for myself from splashes like blood or fluid from inside the eye
2) When I talk to my assistant, the mask prevents me from spraying saliva all over the surgical field
3) They are effective against larger particles like bacteria. Viruses are tiny by comparison, which is why they make N95 masks specifically for that purpose. Post operative endophthalmitis is caused by bacteria, so for our purposes the regular masks are sufficient.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.
yaqub

Post by yaqub »

Fascinating how outsourcing your supply chain and critical infrastructure is no big deal except to those losers in dying heartland towns.... until suddenly it is. Remember that whenever your peer group/party has gotten ideologically bankshotted (again) into the latest Free Trade phantasm.
dru808

Post by dru808 »

I’m in the construction trades. None of us are able to get new n95 masks or respirators. Drywallers, tile setters, painters and carpenters are reusing the disposable n95 masks, rigging filters for 3m respirators and wrapping their faces with shirts. It’s ridiculous. I can’t imagine osha showing up at the site. :x
60% SCHK | 25% VIGI | 15% ILTB
4Health

Post by 4Health »

ScubaHogg wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:31 am

This is incorrect information. The surgical masks (and eye protection with gowns and appropriate donning and doffing technique) are all that is needed to protect from COVID-19. Read about the difference between droplet and aerosol transmissiom. If you are not aerosolizing a COVID-19 patient’s secretions there is no need for a N95. Aerosolizing happens with intubation, deep suction, bronchoscope, etc. Some infectious diseases are passed via aerosol transmission such as TB, for which you need a N95, and you need to be FIT tested to make sure you are wearing the correct size.

I am involved in evaluating and testing COVID-19 patients. Our operating rooms are all closed for elective and non emergent cases to preserve PPE (surgical masks and eye protection) for use on the wards and testing clinics.
Last edited by 4Health on Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wander

Post by wander »

Can't blame them. Some guests on the TV who were supposed to be the experts also suggested to buy water bottles .... We are only buying what we need just like before the crisis . Besides, stores got surprised too, normally they have on the pallets just enough for a few families. I think ten or twenty familiess would clear the toilet papers section available for that day.
brandy

Post by brandy »

Tucson AZ I’m in the very high risk group: old, immune system compromised, severe COPD, with multiple chemical sensitivity, injured spine. I haven’t been able to go into stores since last fall. For the last few years I have tried to keep an emergency supply of basics, because getting out was/is difficult.
I first became uneasy about Thursday, March 12, 2020 after doing some reading here and elsewhere. I have some TP, Kleenex, soaps, rice and a bit of ramen, some canned and some frozen items. I hope I have enough drugs to last through this.
That unease increased Sunday night when I put in a pick-up order and had to wait until today, Wed, March 18, to get it. I got less than half my order, and all other items were substituted. I got no meat or rice... The clerk in the major grocery store said their shelves were pretty bare. She said they order about 4000 items each night, but have been getting only about 1500!
After coming home I read "“...The epidemic in the United States will likely last 18 months, or longer, and could include multiple waves of illness...Supply chain and transportation impacts due to ongoing COVID-19 outbreak will likely result in significant shortages for government, private sector, and individual U.S. consumers.”
I will put this order in again and hope, but I also can't/don't want to drive to the store every day...
Take care everyone.
kmurp

Post by kmurp »

Why would you need N95 masks at a cataract center?
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

kmurp wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:38 pm

Why would you need N95 masks at a cataract center?
Please re-read the highlighted text above.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

brandy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:30 pm Tucson AZ I’m in the very high risk group: old, immune system compromised, severe COPD, with multiple chemical sensitivity, injured spine. I haven’t been able to go into stores since last fall. For the last few years I have tried to keep an emergency supply of basics, because getting out was/is difficult.
I first became uneasy about Thursday, March 12, 2020 after doing some reading here and elsewhere. I have some TP, Kleenex, soaps, rice and a bit of ramen, some canned and some frozen items. I hope I have enough drugs to last through this.
That unease increased Sunday night when I put in a pick-up order and had to wait until today, Wed, March 18, to get it. I got less than half my order, and all other items were substituted. I got no meat or rice... The clerk in the major grocery store said their shelves were pretty bare. She said they order about 4000 items each night, but have been getting only about 1500!
After coming home I read "“...The epidemic in the United States will likely last 18 months, or longer, and could include multiple waves of illness...Supply chain and transportation impacts due to ongoing COVID-19 outbreak will likely result in significant shortages for government, private sector, and individual U.S. consumers.”
I will put this order in again and hope, but I also can't/don't want to drive to the store every day...
Take care everyone.
I understand your concerns. I am high risk myself, and am the sole caregiver for another high risk person. We will continue to need supplies, and need to be able to get them with minimal exposure to others. I hope some of the following helps in some way.

I think supplies at grocery stores will settle down in time (hopefully in a week or so). People aren't actually eating more meat, they're just all stocking up at once, for instance. The governments (all levels) are going to work hard to make sure food supplies continue, regardless of how long this continues. And no one knows yet how long this will last. 18 months is a guess. There are other guesses. No one knows yet how it will go, and how we all respond (social distancing and all those other recommendations) will also affect the course of this thing. So don't get fixated on the long term, work on getting through the next few weeks for starters.

In your situation, I would consider some of these ideas:

Phone friends or relatives who might be able to help by running errands for you. For dry goods like rice, a personal contact outside your area may even be able to mail some to you.

Place multiple online orders, e.g. order some items today (which may be delivered in a few days), order more tomorrow (delivered in a few days plus 1), more the next day, etc. So hopefully you will get a portion of what you need on each order until things normalize. Don't order large amounts so you aren't overwhelmed if all orders are fulfilled. But keep ordering meat until you get meat, etc.

If available, consider placing orders with more than one source. Again, small quantities so you're not over-ordering, but so hopefully you start to get what you need.

Search online for other local resources for vulnerable folks in your area. In my area, some restaurants are delivering meals to the elderly or vulnerable (free or regular orders people pay for). Younger neighbors or community members may be able to run to the store for you, even if you don't know them. Check your town or county websites and facebook pages to see if there are any announcements of resources like this. Check with local charities.

Tucson is sure to have other people in your situation. I know times are crazy right now, but I believe there are and will be helpers out there. If all this isn't working, call your local TV station, and tell your story. I bet that brings some helpers out of the woodwork.

hang in there and best wishes!
cj
femmefire

Post by femmefire »

I have two babies in diapers and baby wipes are sold out everywhere. We bought one Costco box early in the crisis but wishing we had bought more! If we run out, i guess we’ll use rags. Yuck.
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

greg24 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:06 am
fru-gal wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:07 amAs an older person so in a vulnerable group, I'd like to shop when the stores are not jammed with people, but that's impossible currently.
I've seen headlines of some stores starting to have "senior hours" at the start of the day. Hopefully that becomes a thing.
Yes. They've started that in Chicago. Target, Whole Foods and Jewel-Osco (owned by Albertsons) have the first 2 hours after they open on select days of the week reserved for senior shopping. Talked to friend who said Whole Foods carded him. Geee, I'll be insulted when I go for senior shopping if they don't card me too!!
brandy

Post by brandy »

clip651 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:22 pm
brandy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:30 pm Tucson AZ I’m in the very high risk group: ...I will put this order in again and hope, but I also can't/don't want to drive to the store every day...Take care everyone.
I understand your concerns. I am high risk myself, and am the sole caregiver for another high risk person. We will continue to need supplies, and need to be able to get them with minimal exposure to others. I hope some of the following helps in some way.

I think supplies at grocery stores will settle down in time (hopefully in a week or so). People aren't actually eating more meat, they're just all stocking up at once, for instance. The governments (all levels) are going to work hard to make sure food supplies continue, regardless of how long this continues. And no one knows yet how long this will last. 18 months is a guess. There are other guesses. No one knows yet how it will go, and how we all respond (social distancing and all those other recommendations) will also affect the course of this thing. So don't get fixated on the long term, work on getting through the next few weeks for starters.

In your situation, I would consider some of these ideas:

Phone friends or relatives who might be able to help by running errands for you. For dry goods like rice, a personal contact outside your area may even be able to mail some to you.

Place multiple online orders, e.g. order some items today (which may be delivered in a few days), order more tomorrow (delivered in a few days plus 1), more the next day, etc. So hopefully you will get a portion of what you need on each order until things normalize. Don't order large amounts so you aren't overwhelmed if all orders are fulfilled. But keep ordering meat until you get meat, etc.

If available, consider placing orders with more than one source. Again, small quantities so you're not over-ordering, but so hopefully you start to get what you need.

Search online for other local resources for vulnerable folks in your area. In my area, some restaurants are delivering meals to the elderly or vulnerable (free or regular orders people pay for). Younger neighbors or community members may be able to run to the store for you, even if you don't know them. Check your town or county websites and facebook pages to see if there are any announcements of resources like this. Check with local charities.

Tucson is sure to have other people in your situation. I know times are crazy right now, but I believe there are and will be helpers out there. If all this isn't working, call your local TV station, and tell your story. I bet that brings some helpers out of the woodwork.
hang in there and best wishes!
cj
Thanks for these good ideas, I appreciate you. It's difficult being a solo ager, but more so when high risk and isolated.
I did put the order in and picked up almost my full order, but still no meat, rice, or rolled oats! So not what is needed for a stew, but did make vege soup. I'll keep enough out for tomorrow and freeze the rest.
I'll put in another meat/rice/oats order in a few days. :happy
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

4Health wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:14 pm

This is incorrect information. The surgical masks (and eye protection with gowns and appropriate donning and doffing technique) are all that is needed to protect from COVID-19. Read about the difference between droplet and aerosol transmissiom. If you are not aerosolizing a COVID-19 patient’s secretions there is no need for a N95. Aerosolizing happens with intubation, deep suction, bronchoscope, etc. Some infectious diseases are passed via aerosol transmission such as TB, for which you need a N95, and you need to be FIT tested to make sure you are wearing the correct size.

I am involved in evaluating and testing COVID-19 patients. Our operating rooms are all closed for elective and non emergent cases to preserve PPE (surgical masks and eye protection) for use on the wards and testing clinics.
Can you point toward some specific guidance on this? I am a first responder and we are being issued one N95 mask to re-use (prophylactically) with suspected COVID patients. We don't have a shortage of surgical masks.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

In my town (22k pop) our local medical facility hospital staff (including the pulmonary doc) are completely out of N95 masks as of today.

Grocery stores have most items on a regular basis except the crazed hoarder stuff - TP, wipes, Lysol, water, etc. The hoarders don't understand that most working age people who get sick will recover and be back at work in a couple of weeks. The retail goods/grocery supply chain will not collapse. This ongoing situation is a public health crisis, not a walking dead scenario.
texaspapas

Post by texaspapas »

4Health wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:14 pm

This is the party line at my hospital. Another party line is "no community spread". Thank goodness, as the Gompertz curve for my state looks pretty horrific (https://elm.nsupdate.info/)! That being said, I'd say for the majority of people who are looking to stay safe while in public, a regular surgical mask (not an N95) is effective, and a good idea.
The excellent EM/critical care physician and educator, Scott Weingart, on his blog (https://emcrit.org/ibcc/covid19/), conveyed that perhaps a good proportion of the safety of a mask is that it keeps an individual from touching his/her own face. This makes a lot of sense to me, as in, if there is a mask present on your face, then obviously you're not touching your nose or mouth, and additionally no dangerous droplet will land inadvertently around these sensitive areas.
I would add as additional advice, this would only be effective as part of an comprehensive hygiene regimen, with proper hand hygiene as its foundation. A sort-of ritualistic and proper donning of the mask prior to getting into the car in a safe medium-risk zone, such as a front porch or garage, and leaving it on till back in that area, and then doffing (removing) it just as ritualistically and properly, followed by immediate and meticulous hand hygiene, would go a long way towards making public forays more safe. This, of course, would only function as a component of a comprehensive regimen including social distancing and frequent hand hygiene.
I'm afraid we're so behind the curve on this, but hopefully with some prudence and good practices we will stay far away from an Italy-like scenario. Full disclosure, I'm an emergency physician, not an epidemiologist or public health official.
And, finally, for healthcare providers only, let's be honest for a moment: As extensive literature has demonstrated, regular coughing generates enormous amounts of aerosolized respiratory secretions, which in the case of SARS-CoV-2, have been found to stay suspended in a chamber up to 4 hours, and in influenza studies, 97% of these droplets are <1um. It seems to me that prudent PPE requirements are a little more stringent than the above poster's rubric would imply.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

greg24 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:06 am
Only problem is some of the grocery stores open at six a.m. and a lot of older seniors don't like driving in the dark. My Mom is one of them, and so is a good number of her friends. However, I am taking stuff to her house.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ