Split tops of thumbs--ouch!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Limoncello402

Split tops of thumbs--ouch!

Post by Limoncello402 »

This is the most painful thing, like a big paper cut. I've gotten these occasionally over very dry winters, but it is very bad now due to all the extra hand washing. Does anyone get these splits on their thumbs? It only seems to be thumbs for some reason. A bandaid doesn't stay on it since I am washing my hands so often and generally can't do much with a bulky thing on the thumb. Any solutions? I know this is a minor thing in the wake of all the bad news lately but boy it hurts!
ponyboy

Re: Split tops of thumbs--ouch!

Post by ponyboy »

#firstworldproblems
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

I'm a musician plagued by the same problem and I've been using these three products by Bob Smith Industries for years:

Maxi-Cure
https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Smith-Indust ... B0000DD1QH

Insta-Set
https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Smith-151-In ... B0000DD1QR

Un-Cure
https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Smith-Indust ... B0000DD1QS

Directions: Wash you hands, apply Maxi-Cure to the cut, spray Insta-Set to harden, wash your hands again, keep Un-Cure handy in case you glue your fingers together. My doctor assured me that it's safe.

Note: NEVER get this glue in your eyes. Wear glasses.
GlennK

Post by GlennK »

I doubt this is a 1st world problem. Anybody that has to do outside work in the winter can experience this. My uncle was a brick layer and had to deal with it.

I have been experiencing the cracked skin for years. Not just the thumbs, but other digits as well.

I have used superglue on the cuts in the past, but wasn't sure that was safe. I began buying New Skin 5 years ago. This is similar to the super glue in that it seals the cuts so bumping them does not hurt (as much). It burns like the dickens when first put on, but it generally holds for the day. I have bottles at home and in the office. Sometimes, a second application is needed after a couple of hours. Anyhow, it seals it till the cut heals. I highly recommend it.

I use the liquid in the bottle like this: https://www.grainger.com/product/5ELX0? ... 1328313888!
Topic Author
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

Wow--thanks for the very helpful suggestions. I'm going to definitely look into these products. I've got to do something before the splits really get infected.
And by the way it is not a first world problem at all--I work with my hands daily doing carpentry. I wish people with nothing good to say would consider their own ego.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

To prevent these, you might try Neutrogena unscented hand cream (it is really an ointment) on your hands overnight. It is the best thing I know for really dry skin.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Wow quite a nasty comment upstream.

Consider putting on a heavy layer of aquaphor and covering with thin cloth gloves at night (and during the day when you can). You can buy packs of cheap cloth gloves on Amazon.
Last edited by Luckywon on Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
queso

Post by queso »

Liquid Bandage. I get lots of splits in the winters and bandaids either won't stay on or get in the way when I need to use my hands. Stings like heck when you first put it on, but if you cake it on enough it will hold pretty well. I've had cuts that needed stitches that I could get to stop by applying enough layers. :happy
PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen »

Yes! I get these in winter and it's extremely painful.
For a while I had a theory that it started when I was in high school and had a very mild case of frostbite.

A few suggestions I've tried with some relief:
Amlactin Rapid Relief
Put it on as often as possible.

Adhesive tape
Sometimes I could wrap it tight to sort of close the splits.

Latex gloves
Anytime my hands are in water (doing dishes, etc.)
Maybe during this trying time, use them when you're out and about to cut down how often you need to use hand sanitizer/hand washing.
I'm keeping a box in the car to use when I fill the gas tank and may soon start using them for running errands also.

Best of luck.
Benbo

Post by Benbo »

https://www.amazon.com/Nexcre-Skin-Crac ... B004NTZUVS if you don't want to use super glue.
CABob

Post by CABob »

I also have had the split skin problem and have made good use of a product called New Skin which is a liquid bandage product. I have recently purchased a Gold Bond Cracked Skin Relief cream. Haven't needed to use it yet but will be interested to see how it works.
Bob
HettyGreenIsMyHero

Post by HettyGreenIsMyHero »

I get them every winter on my thumbs. I use O'Keefe's Working Hands after every hand wash. At night I wrap them in gauze with paper tape over & Aquaphor in the cracks. It's the only thing that seems to heal mine. The wrapping at nights heals them in 2-3 nights. They are very painful, so many nerves in the fingers!
arizonaslim

Post by arizonaslim »

I second the Superglue nomination.
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

I've had this problem in the past.

1. A small piece of blue masking tape does wonders, and is cheap. Replace after every hand washing, or more often. Or if at work, a piece of scotch tape.

2. Doctor (dermatologist) gave me 2 cremes: one had cortisone, the other was "powerful" (that what the doctor's said, I can't recall what it was off the top of my head; Keep second one off of face, arm pits, genitals). Problem went away after using this -- not sure if it just cleared up, or the cremes did it.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Liquid bandaid is the best invention since... bandaids. It doesn't fall off. Stretch your skin (bend your thumb) before you put it on though, until it dries.
Dontridetheindexdown

Glycerin - cheap and effective

Post by Dontridetheindexdown »

Just spread glicerin on the affected areas, or even on your entire hands.

Your situation is a 1st, 2nd, and especially 3rd world problem.

Glycerin is cheap and it works.

Best results are to leave it on until it dries, like before you go to bed, and stretch your arms out over your head until you fall asleep.

Alternatively, you can apply it during the day as needed.
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

queso wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:00 am Liquid Bandage. I get lots of splits in the winters and bandaids either won't stay on or get in the way when I need to use my hands. Stings like heck when you first put it on, but if you cake it on enough it will hold pretty well. I've had cuts that needed stitches that I could get to stop by applying enough layers. :happy
+1 Works great !!
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

1) Regular use of hand lotion will make it much less likely to happen.

2) Once it is actually cracked, I "glue" it with a liquid bandage product. I used to use something that really was a sort of medical superglue but it might have been discontinued... anyway, I use Newskin Liquid Bandage now. Like ubermax, I find that I have to put on a pretty heavy blob, and sometimes several applications a few minutes apart.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Limoncello402 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:43 am This is the most painful thing, like a big paper cut. I've gotten these occasionally over very dry winters, but it is very bad now due to all the extra hand washing. Does anyone get these splits on their thumbs? It only seems to be thumbs for some reason. A bandaid doesn't stay on it since I am washing my hands so often and generally can't do much with a bulky thing on the thumb. Any solutions? I know this is a minor thing in the wake of all the bad news lately but boy it hurts!
Best thing for ultra dry hands (feet also) is to get COTTON gloves (avail at CVS or CVS online) and then, before bedtime, apply some plain old Vaseline ("accept no substitutes" :happy and only the original), relatively thinly, but do allow a bit of "goo" for the gloves to absorb and still have something on your hands. (use socks for feet)

It is amazing. It seems somehow to "fix" things like cuts/sores.

Best hand cream, so to speak, ever.

DH just "loves it" when I wave my gloved hands around at bedtime, with appropriate weird sounds.
:shock:
:D

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.