Get a 2nd Refrigerator for Home, and put in garage - Good idea?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
toofache32

Re: Get a 2nd Refrigerator for Home, and put in garage - Good idea?

Post by toofache32 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:55 am

We just had this installed in our garage this morning. It's a freezer only.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidaire- ... /205556839

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:56 am

toofache32 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:49 am
fru-gal wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:47 am
toofache32 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:13 pm
BogleFanGal wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:56 am
not us - one fridge is plenty. I like to keep our footprint modest in living our day to day lives. 1600 ft house, one modest trash can at the curb each week. (The sheer amount of garbage I see many families in our neighborhood generate every week is unbelievable.) Economical energy and water usage with an eye on conservation, whenever possible. Normal food portion sizes and weight for good health. Everything in moderation. Most decidedly NOT the typical American way though. :D

When we moved in to our current house, there was a small dumpster and a larger dumpster. I filled them both up every week and sometimes went over and needed a 3rd. Turns out the smaller dumpster was a "recycle" dumpster, and I got notice from the city complaining. I called and told them they are welcome to recycle anything they want to. They sent a 2 page list of what can and cannot be placed in the dumpster. I told them to take back their little dumpster and give me 2 more bigger ones. Much more convenient because I don't have to sort through 9 different types of disposable material.
Just, curious what are you doing to generate that much waste?
It's mostly kitchen/food stuff.
:oops:

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:05 am

surfstar wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:56 am
toofache32 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:49 am
fru-gal wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:47 am
toofache32 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:13 pm
BogleFanGal wrote:
not us - one fridge is plenty. I like to keep our footprint modest in living our day to day lives. 1600 ft house, one modest trash can at the curb each week. (The sheer amount of garbage I see many families in our neighborhood generate every week is unbelievable.) Economical energy and water usage with an eye on conservation, whenever possible. Normal food portion sizes and weight for good health. Everything in moderation. Most decidedly NOT the typical American way though. :D

When we moved in to our current house, there was a small dumpster and a larger dumpster. I filled them both up every week and sometimes went over and needed a 3rd. Turns out the smaller dumpster was a "recycle" dumpster, and I got notice from the city complaining. I called and told them they are welcome to recycle anything they want to. They sent a 2 page list of what can and cannot be placed in the dumpster. I told them to take back their little dumpster and give me 2 more bigger ones. Much more convenient because I don't have to sort through 9 different types of disposable material.
Just, curious what are you doing to generate that much waste?
It's mostly kitchen/food stuff.
:oops:
?
What should I do with food wrappers/containers and trash?

g2morrow

Post by g2morrow » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:07 am

gtd98765 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:08 am
Depending on how cold it gets in your garage, I would do some research on the minimum temperature your proposed refrigerator can operate at. Unlike older fridges, some modern fridges are not engineered to be in a cold place. In other words, if the temp in your garage is 50 degrees, and you need your food to be at 35 degrees, it might not produce enough cold to keep the food at the temp you want. We learned this from an appliance salesman while shopping for a fridge for a country house where we turn the indoor temp down when not there.
Pay attention to this! we had a newer fridge/freezer that would not keep things frozen when it got cold out. I know, sounds crazy but true.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:42 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:37 pm
I always wonder why people have those, seems like a waste of space and money.
Buying larger quantities can save money, and reduce trips to the store. The latter is a lower priority for those who live close to a grocery store, but still may be one of several factors worth considering.

We resisted buying a freezer for several years, but ultimately decided the extra flexibility it provided was worth it. Now we're starting to do a little gardening, and it will help with storing extra produce, too.

Also, every time it snows here, there is a run on the grocery stores. Having extra food on hand gives us extra flexibility for those times.

Every time there is a global pandemic, there is an even bigger run on the grocery stores.

I have a power meter and have validated the Energy Star rating on our freezer (~2013 model, 16 cu ft) based on several weeks of measurements both in the winter and summer, which indicate roughly $30-40 energy use per year.
BogleFanGal wrote:
not us - one fridge is plenty. I like to keep our footprint modest in living our day to day lives. 1600 ft house, one modest trash can at the curb each week. (The sheer amount of garbage I see many families in our neighborhood generate every week is unbelievable.) Economical energy and water usage with an eye on conservation, whenever possible. Normal food portion sizes and weight for good health. Everything in moderation. Most decidedly NOT the typical American way though.
That does not follow from storing extra food. We use our freezer in part to help reduce waste. Bulk quantities are frequently more efficiency packaged, and we can very easily make large batches and store leftovers in the freezer for additional benefits when ready to reheat meals displace takeout when we're short on time to cook. We use a 32 gallon garbage can for a family of 4, which is enough for our regular waste, plus a moderate amount of remodeling waste at the slow pace we're working at. We also recycle as much as the local waste agency accepts.

SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:19 pm

This may have been mentioned but expect your electric to jump. My did about $35 a month and then I realized all I was cooling was extra cases of soda and some incidentals.

celia

Post by celia » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:32 pm

We just got a mini fridge (and microwave) for our second floor (laundry room) so we can separate the living space on the first floor from the second floor in case some of us get sick and others don't. A mini-kitchen would be nice.

Don't think I'd put one in a garage that is not connected to the house because of the temperature extremes throughout the year. But if there is some insulation in the garage, I would consider it.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:52 pm

SurfCityBill wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:19 pm
This may have been mentioned but expect your electric to jump. My did about $35 a month and then I realized all I was cooling was extra cases of soda and some incidentals.
That seems really high. Is it an older fridge or freezer? My freezer averages about 1/10th that much.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:00 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:52 pm
SurfCityBill wrote:
That seems really high. Is it an older fridge or freezer? My freezer averages about 1/10th that much.
I looked at a Whirlpool 18 cu ft top/bottom run of the mill fridge online and the energy star tag said $55 per year to run. If it is old or you are in a state with very high electric prices, it will obviously vary. My whole electric bill last month was $64. That included taxes/fees, 2 fridges, heat in Chicago, a gazillion electronic devices, etc. in a 2000 sq ft place.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:09 pm

we had second one when kids were in school. great for extra milk (saved all those trips to the store and over buying) soft drinks and stuff. But it really works hard in the heat. top freezer. don't keep meat out there. just pizzas, junk food. and do the trick with the ice trays so you can tell if power went out for any length of time. I can't remember the trick...

rkuklinski

Post by rkuklinski » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:16 pm

Hmmm...wouldn’t that take up space that could be used to store toilet paper :mrgreen: ?
'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.'"

beernutz

Post by beernutz » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:04 pm

SurfCityBill wrote:
You can't use the fridge to cool the garage--you have to shut the door.

Seriously what kind of fridge uses $35 a month of electricity? That's insane.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:15 pm

why not insulate a room and install a refrigeration system? I mean if one is willing to do something very wasteful and unnecessary, go all in.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:29 pm

A large freezer in the garage might be more useful. I bought one to store a couple hundred pounds of elk meat a few years ago. That dream did not come through, so DW took command of the freezer and has it largely full of Costco-sourced food. The garage temperature ranges from 40 to 115 degrees, and it does just fine.

Bronco Billy

Post by Bronco Billy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:50 pm

TheNightsToCome wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:34 pm
We put the old one in the garage when we purchased new. It's handy.
That is what we did. I am in the shop /man cave a lot. I buy a lot of things on sale at the grocery and use it to freeze the meat. Enjoy the ice machine also.

Blue456

Post by Blue456 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:42 am

teelainen wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:15 pm
We are thinking about getting a 2nd Refrigerator for our home and putting it in the garage.

Is that a good idea? Has anyone done that before? What are some things to think about? What are some things to watch out for?

Also, which one of these should we get?

- French Door Refrigerator
- Top Freezer Refrigerator
- Side-by-Side Refrigerator
- Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Freezer only

Any advice or tips would be so appreciated, thanks.
We live in apartment and we got a 2nd freezer. Boy, that thing has paid for itself. We find it very useful to freeze cooked food, store a week or 2 week supply of meat and other food that is on sale and generally can be obtained in bulk fora great discount.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:26 am

toofache32 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:05 am
?
I would like to see photos of your garbage and trash. Then I could make some suggestions.

We have re-usable plastic food containers that get washed in the dishwasher. Most of them are from Chinese take-out, but even those are recyclable.

The non-meat veggie & fruit scraps go in the compost bin behind the garage.

Clean containers (such as paper & cardboard packaging) go in the recycle bin.

We don't have to sort recyclables: They are go in the same recycle bin. Our community sorts after pick-up.

If you have children, then they can help you with this chore.

And pertinent to this thread: We don't have nor need a 2nd fridge nor freezer. Folks use those to justify installing a whole-house emergency generator.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:49 am

999 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:57 am
Consider putting it on an outlet that is not a GFCI at even better it’s own dedicated one, if you will be using it for frozen meats.
Also do not plug it into a plug strip or switched outlet. A friend lost all of his deer meat, and the freezer, when the plug strip was turned off. It took many weeks/month+ to notice but the door seal kept in the odor. Thankfully I was not asked to assist with cleanup/disposal. Theory is the cat stepped on the plug strip switch.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:54 am

tev9876 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:49 am
Theory is the cat stepped on the plug strip switch.
I suspect the spouse was sick of deer meat.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:17 am

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Seems like the board's split 50/50 between a freezer/fridge and a freezer only?

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:30 am

simplesimon wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:17 am
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Seems like the board's split 50/50 between a freezer/fridge and a freezer only?
A freezer may be the only option if your garage freezes. We have a fridge only because it was free. The fridge part is handy for overflow for entertaining during the holidays, big barbecues, etc. but we use the fridge part for food maybe 4 times a year (but we always keep water and beer in there). It also has an ice maker which helps a lot because our kitchen fridge has a small, in the door, ice maker. I don't think most standalone freezers have ice makers. If you don't have a waterline nearby that is moot. If I was starting over I'd just have a freezer (and that's what I had at my last house).

I wouldn't get a chest type freezer. It is hard to find anything in there. I'd get an upright freezer. They take up less floor space too.

People that think it is a waste can't seem to fathom buying in bulk, big families, entertaining, cooking/freezing meals, etc. That is different than it being a waste for them personally.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:51 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:30 am
simplesimon wrote:
A freezer may be the only option if your garage freezes. We have a fridge only because it was free. The fridge part is handy for overflow for entertaining during the holidays, big barbecues, etc. but we use the fridge part for food maybe 4 times a year (but we always keep water and beer in there). It also has an ice maker which helps a lot because our kitchen fridge has a small, in the door, ice maker. I don't think most standalone freezers have ice makers. If you don't have a waterline nearby that is moot. If I was starting over I'd just have a freezer (and that's what I had at my last house).

I wouldn't get a chest type freezer. It is hard to find anything in there. I'd get an upright freezer. They take up less floor space too.

People that think it is a waste can't seem to fathom buying in bulk, big families, entertaining, cooking/freezing meals, etc. That is different than it being a waste for them personally.
Thanks. I'm envisioning how much a fridge would be utilized and same as you mostly to keep overflow when we're entertaining, but all other times would sit empty.

We have a newborn and part of our current freezer is filled with breastmilk. I am leaning towards an upright freezer.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:53 pm

gtd98765 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:08 am
Depending on how cold it gets in your garage, I would do some research on the minimum temperature your proposed refrigerator can operate at. Unlike older fridges, some modern fridges are not engineered to be in a cold place. In other words, if the temp in your garage is 50 degrees, and you need your food to be at 35 degrees, it might not produce enough cold to keep the food at the temp you want. We learned this from an appliance salesman while shopping for a fridge for a country house where we turn the indoor temp down when not there.
This is sort of true. In many refrigerator/freezer combos the thermostat is in the refrigerator. When the exterior temperature is less than or very close to the the refrigerator setting, the compressor will never kick on and the freezer temps will begin to approach the refrigerator (ambient) temperature. This problem can be solved by putting a small light in the refrigerator during the winter. I use a 5W CFL bulb which generates enough heat to force the compressor to kick on a couple of times a day, which is enough to keep the freezer at the proper temp.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:27 pm

simplesimon wrote:
I think the board is split 50/50 between what each of us own, but that's different from what you personally should get.

Buy the appliance that fits your needs best. If it is a refrigerator, keep in mind the point several people have made that refrigerators often don't work properly in cold spaces, but there are workarounds.

Lemonaid56

Post by Lemonaid56 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:48 pm

Have had a garage fridge for many many years. We have family gatherings in Spring and Summer and then there are the Holidays. I usually unplug it when real Winter hits here in Maine - about late December but definitely sometime in January.
Comes in handy for leftovers you may not want to smell up the main house fridge. Beer fridge for company - in younger years all leftover beer was kept here and any buddy visiting me in the garage would know where to find it while we puttered on something and chatted. Leftovers from Holiday meals and family gatherings can be stored here easily and thats with multiple coolers holding the overload.
So many different reasons this has worked out. I shut it down in deep winter because not used as much and it does over use electricity so I've heard.
I do not consider myself a redneck but we have a 60" flat screen that was going to the dump that works great and some wicker furniture to sit on and a dump find of a propane heater like you see at outdoor restaurants. Its an out door livingroom many times of the year!
Go for it.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:07 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:26 am
toofache32 wrote:
?
I would like to see photos of your garbage and trash. Then I could make some suggestions.

We have re-usable plastic food containers that get washed in the dishwasher. Most of them are from Chinese take-out, but even those are recyclable.

The non-meat veggie & fruit scraps go in the compost bin behind the garage.

Clean containers (such as paper & cardboard packaging) go in the recycle bin.

We don't have to sort recyclables: They are go in the same recycle bin. Our community sorts after pick-up.

If you have children, then they can help you with this chore.

And pertinent to this thread: We don't have nor need a 2nd fridge nor freezer. Folks use those to justify installing a whole-house emergency generator.
Not sure how photos might help but happy to let you see. This is my kitchen trash can:
https://ibb.co/LQq0ksV

these are my dumpsters outside:
https://ibb.co/5Y6hJSn

This is my new freezer (not fridge) we installed a few days ago in the garage:
https://ibb.co/FgRx8NB

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:16 pm

Thanks for photos of what's in your garbage can. We would put most of that in our recycle bin. Certainly the plastic water bottle, the envelope, and whatever that pizza-size box is. I'll guess that whatever was in the pizza-size box had a plastic wrapper that kept the box clean enough to recycle.

Also, our garbage can would not have those white plastic shopping bags because we bring our own bags to the store.

OK, I realize that's not what you wanted to read, but them's the facts, right?

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:25 pm

I wonder do most 2nd refrigerator owners also rent offsite storage unit too?

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:26 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:26 am
toofache32 wrote:
?
+2. Family of 4 and we often don't even take our garbage can out to be picked up each week. We can usually go an entire month before the single can is totally filled.

My wife has brought this up (getting a freezer for the garage) several times recently in the corona hysteria, but IMO there is almost no chance it would financially be worth it in our situation.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:33 pm

Will do good wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:25 pm
As a data point, I have a 2nd refrigerator/freezer and I don’t rent an off-site storage unit.

2nd unit is handy for extra beverages, plus homemade food prepared in batches like soup, sauce, etc. We normally use only fresh meats/fish, produce and fruit but as we are trying to limit store trips during the pandemic, we also have some of those items in the freezer too.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:35 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:16 pm
Thanks for photos of what's in your garbage can. We would put most of that in our recycle bin. Certainly the plastic water bottle, the envelope, and whatever that pizza-size box is. I'll guess that whatever was in the pizza-size box had a plastic wrapper that kept the box clean enough to recycle.

Also, our garbage can would not have those white plastic shopping bags because we bring our own bags to the store.

OK, I realize that's not what you wanted to read, but them's the facts, right?
Yeah I tried the recycle dumpster but they said I was doing it wrong and I have to sort out the recyclables. They are welcome to recycle any of my stuff they want.
The plastic shopping bags are free at our grocery store, or at least built in to the cost of groceries so I don't need to provide my own. They double as dog poop bags when taking the dog on a walk.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:37 pm

Will do good wrote:
No. I have a garage and an attic.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:28 pm

Will do good wrote:
I fail to see the relevance. Do they also have 2nd cars? 2nd bedrooms? Maybe they have 2 pairs of shoes. Come on.

Do you cook? Entertain? Shop frequently and pay top dollar for whatever you are eating? Eat out daily? The implication is storing things you don't need. I use my 2nd fridge almost daily.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:45 am

I'm amazed at the number of people that think that a second refrigerator is some kind of extravagant luxury. I wonder what percentage of those people have no kids, live in a really small place and/or have no garage.

I'm also amazed at how many people think that a modern refrigerator is really expensive to run.

Frugalbear

Post by Frugalbear » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:51 am

2nd fridge in my opinion is a great idea. Especially for drinks..cases of water...soda...spare orange juice...the Easter ham...the thanksgiving turkey...when you entertain and make dishes you can store them in there. The extra cost for electric is negligible!

Topic Author
teelainen

Post by teelainen » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:00 pm

What about stand alone freezers?

Can anyone recommend a reliable brand for stand alone freezers?

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm

Luke Duke wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:45 am
I'm amazed at the number of people that think that a second refrigerator is some kind of extravagant luxury. I wonder what percentage of those people have no kids, live in a really small place and/or have no garage.

I'm also amazed at how many people think that a modern refrigerator is really expensive to run.
2 kids, 2 car garage...it isn't some sort of expensive luxury, but it is an added cost that I can't see benefiting my life in any way.

mark62

Post by mark62 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:10 pm

2nd fridge in garage stays full of drinks & the freezer gets the overflow from the one in our house.

beernutz

Post by beernutz » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:51 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:28 pm
Will do good wrote:
I fail to see the relevance. Do they also have 2nd cars? 2nd bedrooms? Maybe they have 2 pairs of shoes. Come on.

Do you cook? Entertain? Shop frequently and pay top dollar for whatever you are eating? Eat out daily? The implication is storing things you don't need. I use my 2nd fridge almost daily.
It is virtue signaling. There seems to be an undercurrent of it on this thread.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers