Suggestions for top notch router?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
justsomeguy2018
Posts: 1120
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:31 pm

Admin - Delete if not allowed.

Given the new reality of working from home for me and spouse, am looking for recommendations for best router or computer setup to maximize computer network speed.

Currently have AT&T 1GB with DirecTV and AT&T Home Security (not sure if this matters or how these devices are connected to the router). Have about 6 or 7 home devices connecting to the router.

Any suggestions on what needs to be purchased? Can PM me suggestions if this discussion is not allowed here. Thanks.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 10977
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:34 pm

Porter Cable and Makita used to be the gold standard for routers.
Now. . also DeWalt. .


I'm thinking of upgrading our modem/router as well.
Interested in seeing the results of this thread.

Consumer issues are allowed on the forum per guidelines.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

9liner
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by 9liner » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:43 pm

Can’t speak more highly of our Netgear Orbi mesh WiFi system. It’s been flawless for about 2 years. I recently installed an Orbi Pro system for our office and it has been top notch as well. Regardless of what brand you decide to purchase, I would highly recommend going with a mesh system.

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018
Posts: 1120
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:09 pm

9liner wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:43 pm
Can’t speak more highly of our Netgear Orbi mesh WiFi system. It’s been flawless for about 2 years. I recently installed an Orbi Pro system for our office and it has been top notch as well. Regardless of what brand you decide to purchase, I would highly recommend going with a mesh system.
Thanks for the recommendation - I noticed there were multiple Netgear Orbi mesh WiFi available on Best Buy. Any idea on which one I should pick? My house is 1800 sq ft, 3br 2ba, around 8 devices connected.

DivesEtPauper
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:38 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by DivesEtPauper » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:10 pm

I've been happy with my TP-Link router. It's an Archer C5400, which they don't seem to make anymore. You'd have to look at the TP-Link website to see which model is the replacement - they don't use the most logical numbering scheme.

I have about 5 wired connections (including a Netgear switch) and a dozen wireless connections, including my son's PC. He seems to have no speed issues. Also stream video to Rokus (wireless). Overall has been very reliable, and provides enough options to allow me to configure things the way I want (guest network, pi-hole, etc).

mhalley
Posts: 8298
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by mhalley » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:14 pm

I also upgraded to the orbi pro and am quite satisfied. You can start with a 2 piece and see how it works and then add on if needed. My house is larger, but haven't checked the far reaches but I have one upstairs and one down.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 4901
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by lthenderson » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:17 pm

We recently upgraded to an Eero Mesh system and really like the full coverage we get around the house. I stream quite a bit of videos over it and haven't had any problems with speed but I'm not sure what its top end capabilities are.

When I clicked on this thread, I was going to recommend a Bosch router. I have two and they are hard to beat when working on wood projects.

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018
Posts: 1120
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:25 pm

and FYI - I am looking for best router for wifi connection of up to 8 to 10 devices.

That has LAN ports for satellite and home security to plug into.

Thanks!

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018
Posts: 1120
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:31 pm

mhalley wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:14 pm
I also upgraded to the orbi pro and am quite satisfied. You can start with a 2 piece and see how it works and then add on if needed. My house is larger, but haven't checked the far reaches but I have one upstairs and one down.

Does the orbi pro mesh have LAN ports on it? I need something I can also plug some ethernet cords into.

killjoy2012
Posts: 1102
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by killjoy2012 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:36 pm

More towards the prosumer crowd, but I'd looks at Ubiquity UDM Pro.

https://store.ui.com/products/udm-pro

gtd98765
Posts: 620
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:15 am

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by gtd98765 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:39 pm

The Wirecutter has several reviews: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

etherlinkage
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 1:38 pm
Location: MN

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by etherlinkage » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:41 pm

Ah, I can help out here. I spent a lot of time researching this and speaking with networking experts. For the price, it is hard to beat the reliability of a UniFi system made by Ubiquiti. The only instances we have had downtime have been during electrical work when the network power was shut off. The initial cost for the equipment is on the higher end, but the reliability and durability of the equipment is well worth it. Tech support from the company is excellent, updates are frequent for security, and they’re happy to help you figure out what to buy for your system.

https://store.ui.com/
Save early, save aggressively, and stay the course.

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018
Posts: 1120
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:15 pm

9liner wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:43 pm
Can’t speak more highly of our Netgear Orbi mesh WiFi system. It’s been flawless for about 2 years. I recently installed an Orbi Pro system for our office and it has been top notch as well. Regardless of what brand you decide to purchase, I would highly recommend going with a mesh system.

Does the Netgear Orbi Mesh wifi system have LAN ports for ethernet cables to plug into?

Also wondering how it can integrate with our Directv and home security system (both currently plugged into the current router via ethernet cords)

Dottie57
Posts: 8655
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:28 pm

killjoy2012 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:36 pm
More towards the prosumer crowd, but I'd looks at Ubiquity UDM Pro.

https://store.ui.com/products/udm-pro
I would not know how to use this to it’s best advantage....

mhalley
Posts: 8298
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by mhalley » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:00 pm

Plenty of ports.
https://www.businessinsider.com/netgear ... me-2017-11
The Orbi system is particularly handy for these wired connections. The main router comes with three Ethernet ports, in addition to the one you use to connect to your internet modem. The satellite devices, meanwhile, have four ports.

stan1
Posts: 8520
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by stan1 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:17 pm

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:31 pm
Admin - Delete if not allowed.

Given the new reality of working from home for me and spouse, am looking for recommendations for best router or computer setup to maximize computer network speed.

Currently have AT&T 1GB with DirecTV and AT&T Home Security (not sure if this matters or how these devices are connected to the router). Have about 6 or 7 home devices connecting to the router.

Any suggestions on what needs to be purchased? Can PM me suggestions if this discussion is not allowed here. Thanks.
It's not clear what problems are you having that would necessitate a new router? Does your current router need a lot of rebooting? Does it seem slower on some computers not others? Do you have coverage gaps in the house? Unless you are both video game programmers I'd be surprised if Wi-Fi bandwidth on your local network is the bottleneck unless your router is many years old.

I'd do a speedtest on each computer. You might find the problem is actually the CPU or RAM in an older computer.

I'd buy a mesh router such as an eero or Orbi if you do indeed need a new router. Two devices should be fine in an 1800 square foot house (downstairs/upstairs or living/bedroom areas). If you also need coverage in the garage or patio you might want a third one but I'd start with two. I like that they are self managed for updates. They do have ethernet ports. If you want more ports you can also buy a 4 or 8 port switch (or see if a friend has one to loan or give to you -- I have a few in my spare parts box these days from back before Wi-Fi was as ubiquitous as it is now). I don't spend too much on Wi-Fi routers because better technology seems to come along every 3-5 years and I just plan to replace them with newer technology periodically. We use the internet connection a lot in my household so its just a cost of operating the household to me.

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018
Posts: 1120
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:11 pm

stan1 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:17 pm
justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:31 pm
Admin - Delete if not allowed.

Given the new reality of working from home for me and spouse, am looking for recommendations for best router or computer setup to maximize computer network speed.

Currently have AT&T 1GB with DirecTV and AT&T Home Security (not sure if this matters or how these devices are connected to the router). Have about 6 or 7 home devices connecting to the router.

Any suggestions on what needs to be purchased? Can PM me suggestions if this discussion is not allowed here. Thanks.
It's not clear what problems are you having that would necessitate a new router? Does your current router need a lot of rebooting? Does it seem slower on some computers not others? Do you have coverage gaps in the house? Unless you are both video game programmers I'd be surprised if Wi-Fi bandwidth on your local network is the bottleneck unless your router is many years old.

I'd do a speedtest on each computer. You might find the problem is actually the CPU or RAM in an older computer.

I'd buy a mesh router such as an eero or Orbi if you do indeed need a new router. Two devices should be fine in an 1800 square foot house (downstairs/upstairs or living/bedroom areas). If you also need coverage in the garage or patio you might want a third one but I'd start with two. I like that they are self managed for updates. They do have ethernet ports. If you want more ports you can also buy a 4 or 8 port switch (or see if a friend has one to loan or give to you -- I have a few in my spare parts box these days from back before Wi-Fi was as ubiquitous as it is now). I don't spend too much on Wi-Fi routers because better technology seems to come along every 3-5 years and I just plan to replace them with newer technology periodically. We use the internet connection a lot in my household so its just a cost of operating the household to me.

I have 1GB speed (supposedly) - download test shows only 80MB download speed on wifi, but if I plug an ethernet cable directly into the LAN port, it's 900+MB. So there seems to be an issue with the WiFi itself. Would the eero or orbi help solve that issue?

sfmdk240
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:32 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by sfmdk240 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:34 pm

I’ll second the Eero mesh system. I’ve had the Eero routers since their first model and they have always been great. Some people might be turned off by the fact that the company is now part of Amazon, but I have no complaints.

User avatar
TierArtz
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:33 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by TierArtz » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:39 pm

I have been quite pleased with a Netgear X10 for the last three years or so. It has many features: tri-band, supports NAS, has a 10 GB input. I subscribe to 200 Mbs service through Cox and wireless devices are often near that speed. Wired devices are at speed or up to 250 Mbs. At peak it supports two wired PCs, two wireless PCs, two printers, a pool controller, a hardware-based parental control VPN box (Circle Plus), two tablets, three phones, data over power for ADT, and streaming on one TV. I exceeded the Ethernet options on it, but a Netgear 8-port Gigabit unmanaged switch fixed that.

VaR
Posts: 690
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:27 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by VaR » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:50 pm

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:11 pm
I have 1GB speed (supposedly) - download test shows only 80MB download speed on wifi, but if I plug an ethernet cable directly into the LAN port, it's 900+MB. So there seems to be an issue with the WiFi itself. Would the eero or orbi help solve that issue?
I'm not familiar with the AT&T Fiber Internet setup that I'm guessing you have. What equipment do they provision you with and what options do they have for you provisioning your own gateway? Looking at the AT&T Uverse forum on dslreports.com seems to indicate that AT&T does what they can to lock you in to their equipment, so it might be wise for you to post some details of the model number of your gateway to clarify the constraints you might be working under.

That said, you could always use a mesh system behind the AT&T provisioned gateway to provide a better wireless network, so all the previous poster's contributions are valuable anyway.

The last bit of info that might be helpful is the exact model of the client (computer or device) that you are using to test your wireless speed. Remember that connection speed is a combination of the capabilities of your wireless access point/router and the device you're using. My MacBook Pro gets much better wifi speeds than my 9-year old MacBook Air and way better than my old iPad.

All that said, I second @etherlinkage's recommendation of the Ubiquiti UniFi system, though I would say that you might think about whether you want the additional control offered by UniFi or whether you want a more plug and play system.

Retired1809
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by Retired1809 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:54 pm

I've been very pleased with Google's Mesh system. We have the three pod system with pods spread around the house. Until we bought the Google Mesh system, we were afraid that we would have to upgrade our Internet speed from our 18 mbs ($28 per month) plan to a more expensive plan. We have three or four TVs running on YouTubeTV now after ditching DirecTV.

I actually spoke with another Internet provider about upgrading to a gig plan but he told me that I should first try the Google Mesh with my basic 18 mbs plan and save my money. I don't even know his name but he's a friend for life.

I figure I recovered the cost of the Google Mesh plan in just a few months with the savings on Internet plans.

And installation could not be simpler! Really. Your smart phone will walk you through the easy steps and you'll be enjoying good internet within minutes of receiving the mesh.

teCh0010
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:20 am

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by teCh0010 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:23 pm

For simple that works great netgear orbi. It has a dedicated mesh backhaul radio giving you much higher throughout than options that share a single 5GHz radio for backhaul and clients. It is set it and forget it, and will get wireless clients close to your connection speed.

If you are a prosumer then an Ubiquiti edge router combined with UniFi wireless access points. Complex configuration but ultimate flexibility. I run an ER3 with 3 UniFi AC Lites as access points. I use Moca 2.0 for backhaul from the APs to the router. I have great coverage across 4500 square feet.

linuxizer
Posts: 1581
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:55 am

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by linuxizer » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:51 pm

killjoy2012 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:36 pm
More towards the prosumer crowd, but I'd looks at Ubiquity UDM Pro.

https://store.ui.com/products/udm-pro
Seconded.

rich126
Posts: 1541
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by rich126 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:08 pm

Unless you are transferring large and many files or streaming a Huge number of 4K video feeds, 1Gb is a huge overkill (waste of money) for a home. You can probably stream 35-40 4K video feeds at that rate.

Back to the question, google mesh for simplicity. Amplifi is very solid. Ubiquiti has other products but they require some knowledge.

I’d first recommend downloading netspot and the free version will allow you to walk around with a laptop and view signal strengths and ssids in the area. Basically do a signal survey for interference and weak spots.

User avatar
JD Leonard
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:13 pm
Location: Jersey City, NJ

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by JD Leonard » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:12 pm

Our router didn't age well so I just upgraded us to a TP-Link Archer AX50, which is working very well for us. It's on the pricier side and is more future proof than most because it supports the new WiFi 6 standard (802.11ax). We have 300M FIOS and now we get almost the full speed over WiFi.
- JD Leonard

User avatar
Tiekoon
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: 33-01'12'' N 117-12'18'' W

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by Tiekoon » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:47 pm

Another eero mesh fan here! Easy install and set up, awesome coverage! Installed mine about eight months ago, no issues, very happy! Funny thing, after too many issues and discussion with my cable provider, it was their installer/service tech who recommended eero. Good luck..

GeoffD
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:31 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by GeoffD » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:42 am

This is nonsense. The guy has an 1,800 square foot house and 8 devices. What he needs to do is find out how many WiFi channels his best PC uses and buy a router that matches. Chances are it’s 2 or 3 channels on 5 GHz AC. An awful lot of laptops only have 1 or 2 channels. An expensive router is like putting a 2” fuel line on a Hyundai Accent. It won’t go any faster.

I run a Netgear R7000 in one house which is overkill. My Amazon 4K Firestick TV is my big bandwidth user and it only supports old school 2.4 GHz. I used to have a 3 channel work laptop but my personal laptop is only two channel. I have two other addresses where I run Netgear R6700 routers. $90 from the big evil Internet retailer. That matches my laptop. Unless you’re a gamer, that should run a small house just fine.

If you have a big house or fancy WiFi on a gamer machine, that’s another topic.

A former co-worker when I was with a cable modem company is the Netgear sales engineer for the cable companies. I called him and asked since Netgear is the dominant vendor at the cable companies like Charter that don’t integrate WiFi into the cable modem. I’ve seen a lot of cable company product testing for WiFi and the Netgear stuff tests out as very solid. They all use the same reference designs and software but Netgear has been at it longer with the big customers so their process is better. TP Link won’t have tested as extensively so will be more buggy and may have more hard failures. For mass market consumer routers, I’d pull the Netgear lever. I’ve worked for Asian companies. They generally don’t do much QA. They slap the software the chip vendor supplies them, bolds some web pages on, and ships it.

onourway
Posts: 2491
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by onourway » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:00 am

The 80Mbps you get from your current setup is almost certainly more than adequate for anything you need to do. As others have stated, 1Gbps is overkill for home, and it won’t improve anything for typical day to day use to increase the speed you have now.

If you have coverage or interference issues in some areas, a new mesh system will improve that, however you still aren’t going to get 1Gbps over wifi, you will get several hundred Mbps, but not full throughput of your wired connection.

GeoffD
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:31 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by GeoffD » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:14 am

onourway wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:00 am
The 80Mbps you get from your current setup is almost certainly more than adequate for anything you need to do. As others have stated, 1Gbps is overkill for home, and it won’t improve anything for typical day to day use to increase the speed you have now.

If you have coverage or interference issues in some areas, a new mesh system will improve that, however you still aren’t going to get 1Gbps over wifi, you will get several hundred Mbps, but not full throughput of your wired connection.
I agree.

I just ran SpeedTest on my iPhone X and get 245 MBit/S. I used to see 450 out of my work laptop with the expensive WiFi adapter. In practice, I see no real word difference between here and at my other two addresses where I have the Comcast 100 MBit speed tier. I’m not a gamer and I’m not streaming to 3 or 4 panels at the same time.

Momus
Posts: 1023
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by Momus » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:15 am

DivesEtPauper wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:10 pm
I've been happy with my TP-Link router. It's an Archer C5400, which they don't seem to make anymore. You'd have to look at the TP-Link website to see which model is the replacement - they don't use the most logical numbering scheme.

I have about 5 wired connections (including a Netgear switch) and a dozen wireless connections, including my son's PC. He seems to have no speed issues. Also stream video to Rokus (wireless). Overall has been very reliable, and provides enough options to allow me to configure things the way I want (guest network, pi-hole, etc).
1800 sqft is small. You can get any normal router WITHOUT mesh and it will work fine. I repeat you do NOT need mesh with a house that small. Put the router higher and in the center of the house almost any AC router will do.

The Archer AC5400 above is good. I personally recommend this same class beast of Linksys EA9500. Get it used for $120. A bit overkill for only 8 connected device but whatever. We like overkill.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Linksys-EA9500 ... SwgjddSZOz

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 5489
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:28 am

Retired1809 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:54 pm
I've been very pleased with Google's Mesh system. We have the three pod system with pods spread around the house. Until we bought the Google Mesh system, we were afraid that we would have to upgrade our Internet speed from our 18 mbs ($28 per month) plan to a more expensive plan. We have three or four TVs running on YouTubeTV now after ditching DirecTV.

I actually spoke with another Internet provider about upgrading to a gig plan but he told me that I should first try the Google Mesh with my basic 18 mbs plan and save my money. I don't even know his name but he's a friend for life.

I figure I recovered the cost of the Google Mesh plan in just a few months with the savings on Internet plans.

And installation could not be simpler! Really. Your smart phone will walk you through the easy steps and you'll be enjoying good internet within minutes of receiving the mesh.
My experience with Google Wifi has been similar to Retired1809's. I'm the techie guy in our crowd and always recommend Google wifi to friends who are having buffering problems with streaming, etc. Of course the internet provider has almost always recommended a higher speed connection. So far the Google Wifi router has always solved the problem. My other reason for recommending it is that it's extremely reliable and requires no knowledge of settings or other techie minutiae. Once hooked up it just works. If by chance there are any hiccups in set-up Google wifi's phone tech assistance is excellent!
Have a plan, stay the course, and simplify. And while you're at it, ignore the noise!

onourway
Posts: 2491
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by onourway » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:30 am

The thing that mesh will do much better than a traditional access point is a) make coverage more equal in all areas of the space, and b) improve performance when interference is an issue. We have a similar sized home, and had a high end older system that had served us very well for years. Throughput was always fine, however as I started to build out our smart home the system started to break down a bit and become somewhat unreliable with smart home commands especially. Replaced with a Nest system and things once again work flawlessly.

cjking
Posts: 1930
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:30 am

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by cjking » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:44 am

I have a 80Mbs fibre connection. My cheap free router the ISP supplied me with years ago is not a bottleneck, with one proviso. I have the router on a timer switch that reboots it at 3am every day. That seems to eliminate several potential problems that occur when it isn't regularly restarted. (I did try rebooting once a week and found that wasn't good enough.)

I have a TV on which I watch streaming UHD faultlessly, even though it uses a 2.4G signal that goes via a wifi extender to get to the router. For me a router doesn't have to be fast, there's no advantage to being faster than fast enough.

(If you do use an extender though, a good dual-band one properly configured makes a difference. I have a TP-link access point configured as an extender, at the far-end of the same floor that the router is on, that connects to the router using 5G only, while putting out only a 2.4g signal of it's own, that devices on the other floor can connect to.)

ARoseByAnyOtherName
Posts: 1000
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:03 am

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:44 am

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:31 pm
Admin - Delete if not allowed.

Given the new reality of working from home for me and spouse, am looking for recommendations for best router or computer setup to maximize computer network speed.

Currently have AT&T 1GB with DirecTV and AT&T Home Security (not sure if this matters or how these devices are connected to the router). Have about 6 or 7 home devices connecting to the router.

Any suggestions on what needs to be purchased? Can PM me suggestions if this discussion is not allowed here. Thanks.
I’ve had Eero mesh WiFi for years and highly recommend it, rock solid. Others recommend it too:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... king-kits/

teCh0010
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:20 am

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by teCh0010 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:20 am

Momus wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:15 am
DivesEtPauper wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:10 pm
I've been happy with my TP-Link router. It's an Archer C5400, which they don't seem to make anymore. You'd have to look at the TP-Link website to see which model is the replacement - they don't use the most logical numbering scheme.

I have about 5 wired connections (including a Netgear switch) and a dozen wireless connections, including my son's PC. He seems to have no speed issues. Also stream video to Rokus (wireless). Overall has been very reliable, and provides enough options to allow me to configure things the way I want (guest network, pi-hole, etc).
1800 sqft is small. You can get any normal router WITHOUT mesh and it will work fine. I repeat you do NOT need mesh with a house that small. Put the router higher and in the center of the house almost any AC router will do.

The Archer AC5400 above is good. I personally recommend this same class beast of Linksys EA9500. Get it used for $120. A bit overkill for only 8 connected device but whatever. We like overkill.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Linksys-EA9500 ... SwgjddSZOz
5GHz doesn’t penetrate interior walls as well as 2.4GHz, you can cover an 1800 square ft house with a single router, but you aren’t going to connect at the max rate once you get a couple of rooms of drywall, doors, and kitchen cabinets in the way. If you really want to optimize for high speed (800+ mb dual channel devices) you would want at least two devices in mesh in 1800 square feet.

Layout also plays a big role. My brother in law only has a 1900 square foot house, but it is three stories and we had to put a wired AP on each story.

tbpt
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:12 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by tbpt » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:11 am

For 1800 sq feet, one mid range router would suffice. I like the ASUS routers that have AiMesh. They are highly configurable and the app is solid. The benefit is if you ever need more coverage you can get another ASUS router with AiMesh and link them together to create a mesh network. Just make sure you get a 2019 or 2020 model and not an older one. Also, you'll have to run this router behind the ATT router. There are plenty of guides online to show you how to pass the connection directly through the ATT router to a 3rd party router.

tintin
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 31, 2019 11:10 am

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by tintin » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:42 am

I use ubiquiti dream.machine. serves me best and no complaints.
Technically if you want to know more about WiFi and the acronyms involved and to make an educated guess probably this paper will help you all.https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-t ... l#deepdive. This is where i learned more about the WiFi and the technology behind it.

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018
Posts: 1120
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:54 am

Thanks for all the recs. Sounds like a tri-band eero, google, or netgear mesh is the way to go?

I should add, I know I mentioned getting 80mb, but actually there are times when performance is much worse and I only get 20MB - this is with a 1GB connection. When I plug directly into the router I get the 900+MB speed, so it really seems to be an issue with the WiFi being interfered with, I think? Or the WiFi on the laptop is junk. Laptop is from 2015 or 2016, runs Windows 10.

onourway
Posts: 2491
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by onourway » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:02 am

A range of speed from 20-80Mbps sounds completely normal for an older generation Wi-Fi system depending on the position relative to the access point and the amount of interference. A mesh system should improve that, although it may not make much practical difference. 20Mbps is still plenty fast for most activities.

mega317
Posts: 4335
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:55 am

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by mega317 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:16 am

Momus wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:15 am
Put the router higher and in the center of the house almost any AC router will do.
This is not always possible or practical.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 10582
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:20 am

Do you have Ethernet pulls throughout the house? Do you have difficult walls (eg, our house is large-ish, and we have thick fieldstone interior walls). For us, Orbi with Ethernet backhaul (ie, the nodes communicate over Ethernet rather than radio) works really well.

For our neighbors with a more traditional house, Eero worked really well (although they can also do Ethernet backhaul).
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

jebmke
Posts: 10861
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm
Location: Delmarva Peninsula

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by jebmke » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:25 am

Here is a fairly good piece on Eero. Note the comment at the bottom

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/12 ... ngly-good/
Like almost all mesh kits, Eero requires both a smartphone and the cloud to manage. If you want cloud independence and a Web interface, Netgear Orbi is still the only decent option.
I also recall a piece they published not long ago about performance of mesh potentially being much less if not using wired backhaul. May depend on the geography and composition of your space though. Could not find the article though.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

ubermax
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:19 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by ubermax » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:57 pm

Porter Cable !!

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 5489
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:09 pm

ubermax wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:57 pm
Porter Cable !!
I'm assuming that's a joke ubermax but if not we're talking about different types of routers.
Have a plan, stay the course, and simplify. And while you're at it, ignore the noise!

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 10977
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:15 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:17 pm
We recently upgraded to an Eero Mesh system and really like the full coverage we get around the house. I stream quite a bit of videos over it and haven't had any problems with speed but I'm not sure what its top end capabilities are.

When I clicked on this thread, I was going to recommend a Bosch router. I have two and they are hard to beat when working on wood projects.
+1
Bosch makes top notch routers. . .

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 13630
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by Toons » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:23 pm

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

InvestingGeek
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:31 am

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by InvestingGeek » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:25 pm

The Google Mesh WiFi is flawless. Easy to set up and manage. And its terms of service expressly say they can't and don't look at your traffic and it isn't tied to their ad business if that's your worry.

BuddyJet
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 pm

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by BuddyJet » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:33 pm

I have Att gig fiber and the Google mesh router. I went with a static IP to avoid having the google router behind the att router.

That said, the att security system has me concerned since I am not sure how it works.

My suggestion would be to use an access point or router in access point mode for your wifi and turn off the att wireless.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.

mega317
Posts: 4335
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:55 am

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by mega317 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:46 pm

BuddyJet wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:33 pm
I went with a static IP to avoid having the google router behind the att router.
Can you explain this is very simple terms? I hate using the att router part.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212

seawolf21
Posts: 670
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:33 am

Re: Suggestions for top notch router?

Post by seawolf21 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:47 pm

Netgear R7000 or R7800 (upgraded version). R7000 is a couple of years old but still better than many of the more recent offerings including mesh especially for a 2,000 sqft property.

Ranked #1
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/r ... outer/view

The problem with mesh is unless you have a big house, the main router's signal is strong enough that the wireless clients simply ignore the satellites even if the satellites is 2 feet away from client while main is 25 feet away.

Post Reply