Anyone taking advantage of extremely cheap flights?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
helloeveryone

Anyone taking advantage of extremely cheap flights?

Post by helloeveryone » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:51 pm

For those that are not working or retired but not in age group at risk for bad coronavirus outcomes - is anyone taking advantage of the extremely cheap tickets and booking trips?

If I was "FIRE" or retired but not in at risk age group - I would consider traveling to non hot zones. As an example - round trip to Denver from my city are $<200 with taxes. It's never this low.

Unfortunately - with work - precautions involve mandatory quarantine if returning from certain places so risking taking vacation time and traveling is out of the picture.

There are so many threads on cancellations and such but I was wondering if there are some BH'ers who are booking travel within the US

Edited to add:
Ignore this thread. It’s now officially a bad idea. (before it was just a bad idea)

As of 3.15.2020....
“WASH­ING­TON—The fed­eral gov­ern­ment’s lead­ing voice on in­fec­tious dis­eases said Amer­i­cans will need to do much more to pre­vent com­mu­nity spread of the novel coro­n­avirus, urg­ing them to stay home and avoid un­nec­es­sary pub­lic out­ings.”
Last edited by helloeveryone on Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

RJC

Re: Anyone taking advantage of extremely cheap flights?

Post by RJC » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:58 pm

Why take the risk? Even if you were young and healthy, you could be a vector and transmit the virus.

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:07 pm

This is one of those times that even those at low risk should sacrifice for those in higher risk by curtailing their travel and mass gatherings. One day, the tables might be turned and it might be you or I who need the compassion of others in the “herd”, you may also have elderly parents or grand parents — the deal is simple: I’ll help save your loved ones if you help save mine.

As such, I’m staying home and doing my part.

Topic Author
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:16 pm

mrspock wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:07 pm
This is one of those times that even those at low risk should sacrifice for those in higher risk by curtailing their travel and mass gatherings. One day, the tables might be turned and it might be you or I who need the compassion of others in the “herd”, you may also have elderly parents or grand parents — the deal is simple: I’ll help save your loved ones if you help save mine.

As such, I’m staying home and doing my part.
Thanks. I'm not advocating it but people are still out and about even in hot zone cities. ie - grocery shopping, going for walks, going to work for essential personnel. I was just wondering if some are taking advantage of deals as long as they were wise enough about how they are doing it with social distancing, hygiene etc...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... ntion.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... he-us.html

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:28 pm

My sister in law is (in her 20's). We have asked her not to visit us for 2-weeks following the flight home.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:34 pm

I am seeing "unicorn" award availability all over the place right now. Trips that would be very high on my list are quite possible now at least theoretically. Putting aside issues of whether one should travel or not at this point the biggest issue I have is the situation changes almost daily. Each day more countries enforce travel bans, travel restrictions, close non-essential services and the like. It seems the best case scenario at this point is you arrive at some location and most of the sights are closed, worst case is you get stuck there due to travel bans or cancelled flights. To me the risk of flying someplace only to be able not to do anything or worse get stuck is killing any near term incentive I have to fly. I might consider something a few months out once the situation appears to be stabilizing (i.e., we aren't getting daily reports of additional lock downs/closures and the like).

Also CNN is reporting domestic travel restrictions are under consideration so I am not sure how long domestic flights are going to be viable given what has been happened over the last few weeks internationally.

MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:09 pm

I am. Looking at some trips over the summer - if conditions are still bad, will just move them out further / take a refund. I'm guessing the current airline policy will still apply if conditions are the same or worse.

Not worried about ethical quandries - we aren't going anywhere for months, so wouldn't be spreading anything.

Topic Author
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:11 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:34 pm
I am seeing "unicorn" award availability all over the place right now. Trips that would be very high on my list are quite possible now at least theoretically. Putting aside issues of whether one should travel or not at this point the biggest issue I have is the situation changes almost daily. Each day more countries enforce travel bans, travel restrictions, close non-essential services and the like. It seems the best case scenario at this point is you arrive at some location and most of the sights are closed, worst case is you get stuck there due to travel bans or cancelled flights. To me the risk of flying someplace only to be able not to do anything or worse get stuck is killing any near term incentive I have to fly. I might consider something a few months out once the situation appears to be stabilizing (i.e., we aren't getting daily reports of additional lock downs/closures and the like).

Also CNN is reporting domestic travel restrictions are under consideration so I am not sure how long domestic flights are going to be viable given what has been happened over the last few weeks internationally.
True, I didn’t consider showing up somewhere only to find all attractions closed. I just walked by our public library and they are closed ten days due to coronavirus prevention measures. There is always the hidden costs of great deals

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:14 pm

MBB_Boy wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:09 pm
I am. Looking at some trips over the summer - if conditions are still bad, will just move them out further / take a refund. I'm guessing the current airline policy will still apply if conditions are the same or worse.

Not worried about ethical quandries - we aren't going anywhere for months, so wouldn't be spreading anything.
A number of sources are predicting this will still be with us come summer and longer. I watched the UK government's briefing yesterday and they are predicting their peak infection rate will occur in June. I have trips planned for late May and June/July to Europe on the books and I hope they come to pass but not sure what the odds of that are.

alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:21 pm

My work is doing a “fire drill” and My team has to be out of the office for 2 weeks. We still have to work remotely. One guy is taking advantage of this and getting a cheap flight home - to Maui. Its a dirt cheap flight. Sure, he will have to get up at 3 am to be in sync with the rest of the team.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:44 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:14 pm
MBB_Boy wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:09 pm

A number of sources are predicting this will still be with us come summer and longer. I watched the UK government's briefing yesterday and they are predicting their peak infection rate will occur in June. I have trips planned for late May and June/July to Europe on the books and I hope they come to pass but not sure what the odds of that are.
This is new, the reality is that not a single person knows what will happen with this virus.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:07 pm

I just read that the pres is contemplating domestic travel restrictions.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:15 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:44 pm

This is new, the reality is that not a single person knows what will happen with this virus.
Of course it is no better than an an educated prediction. I was just trying to get in front of the assumption in some quarters that a couple or more weeks of closing schools, closing borders and the like and we are done. We may be done but we may not be either but time will tell. It may also die off only to come roaring back in the future similar to the 1918 flu pandemic if there is indeed a seasonality component to it.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:42 pm

op Aerial Wombat is thinking of it: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=305349

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:49 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:42 pm
op Aerial Wombat is thinking of it: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=305349
Hopefully he/she got there before China instituted this policy....
CHINA (People's Rep.) - published 13.03.2020
1. Passengers who live in or have been in France, Germany, Iran, Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Spain or USA in the past 14 days arriving at Guangzhou (CAN), Shanghai (PVG), Shanghai (SHA) or Shenzhen (SZX) must undergo 14-day quarantine at home or in designated places for medical observation.
2. All passengers arriving at PEK must self-isolate for 14 days.

3. Passengers arriving from Iran, Italy, Japan or Korea (Rep.) and traveling to Beijing (PEK), Guangzhou (CAN) or Shanghai (PVG) are subject to quarantine for 14 days.
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/intern ... 226297.htm

Note: The above link is a good start on travel restrictions but it tends to only show current restrictions and not those announced but not implemented yet.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:47 pm

It's not the cost of the flights that's enticing. The thought of being able to explore, say, Venice without having to deal with crowds and basically having the city to yourself - that's what's really tempting.

Topic Author
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:47 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:47 pm
It's not the cost of the flights that's enticing. The thought of being able to explore, say, Venice without having to deal with crowds and basically having the city to yourself - that's what's really tempting.
Yes. or visiting national parks without typical crowds

celia

Post by celia » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:25 pm

I saw Dr Sanjay Gupta on TV the other day. He made a good point that even if you are healthy, you can be a carrier and not even know it. You could then pass it onto your friend who could be a carrier (or vice versa). Without even knowing it, you could infect the friends or family of others.

I think as more people become aware of this, they are cutting back on their movements socially.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:43 pm

I find it interesting that so many are concerned about passing the virus to other almost more than themselves yet so many go without flu shots. Probably the same deep cognitive bias that makes people consider changing their investing plans right now. We're not letting our kids or ourselves see friends out of concern for grandma who provides child care. Definitely wouldn't go to an airport and get on a plane if I could help it.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:56 pm

What if you fly to your destination and become stranded due to updated travel restrictions?

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:26 am

Right now it's all about flattening the curve. We have to do everything possible to halt the spread of this dread disease so that the hospitals, doctors, and nurses are not overwhelmed. If it means staying at home and avoiding others for a time, that's what I'll do. That also gives them more time to develop effective treatments for the virus and, hopefully sooner rather than later, a vaccine.

Patience. At some point travel will come back.

By the way, if you do get the virus and recover, that would be a perfect time to travel. You will then have immunity to the virus and won't be a carrier.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:26 am

Scooped up really cheap tickets for domestic travel in August and it comes with cancellation protection.

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:33 am

simplesimon wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:26 am
Scooped up really cheap tickets for domestic travel in August and it comes with cancellation protection.
The problem is, schedule changes are not fully reflected in the booking systems yet and many more are coming.

So, you may have been able to book flight X, but who knows if that will even exist in August. If the route is empty they will not fly empty planes.

And will the airline even exist in August. Not all airlines will be bailed out.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:37 am

DesertDiva wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:56 pm
What if you fly to your destination and become stranded due to updated travel restrictions?
"Sorry, boss, I can't come back to work for 6 months. I'm stranded in Venice and will have to stay here for the foreseeable future" 8-)

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:32 am

Rainier wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:33 am
simplesimon wrote:
The problem is, schedule changes are not fully reflected in the booking systems yet and many more are coming.

So, you may have been able to book flight X, but who knows if that will even exist in August. If the route is empty they will not fly empty planes.

Yes, I’m aware of that. What’s the downside for me? I don’t get to go and lose a couple hundred bucks and a major airline has to go bankrupt?

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:13 am

simplesimon wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:32 am
Rainier wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:33 am
simplesimon wrote:

Yes, I’m aware of that. What’s the downside for me? I don’t get to go and lose a couple hundred bucks and a major airline has to go bankrupt?
Not even, credit cards backstop airline bankruptcies (or they did in the past).

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:23 am

Rainier wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:13 am

Not even, credit cards backstop airline bankruptcies (or they did in the past).
Also plenty of airlines have gone through bankruptcy in the US in the past (USAir did it twice and still with us in the sense it merged with AA) and kept flying and issuing refunds and the like. I consider the risk of the major carriers truly ceasing operations at this point low. And as you say your CC is likely to make your whole even if that does happen.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:24 am

Caduceus wrote:
Venice without crowds sounds delightful. Venice without crowds, in a locked down country which is currently the worst hit country at the epicenter of that country's breakout sounds a whole lot less delightful.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:27 am

helloeveryone wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:47 pm
Yes. or visiting national parks without typical crowds
Honestly this is about the ideal thing to do if you want to travel at this point. Easy to maintain distance and the like. Assuming they stay open this is probably a fairly low risk. Or go do some back country camping and come back in two months and see if civilization is still around :-).

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:10 am

THY4373 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:24 am
Caduceus wrote:
Venice without crowds sounds delightful. Venice without crowds, in a locked down country which is currently the worst hit country at the epicenter of that country's breakout sounds a whole lot less delightful.
I too love Venice and have had the good fortune to visit during peak times and off-peak (everyone should experience acqua alta once, ha).

Was amazed that even during high-season while St Mark's was jam-packed we walked about the equivalent of one city block, tops, and were in a lovely square (guidebook said the second most popular local square or something) with a few locals sitting around watching their small children play.

Another time, one early evening we got a drink from a bar not too from the Rialto Bridge. It was World Cup time, and the place was serving wine in plastic cups. :o We took our wine and sat by the canal. Yes, we weren't completely alone, but it was hardly crowded.

We have found that you don't need to go too far off the beaten path in Venice to avoid the crowds. Also, crowds thin out early and later in the day, as either people are just visiting for the day (and maybe saving money by staying elsewhere) or are part of cruise (which presumably limits the likelihood they may be around at the start or end of the day).

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:18 am

MN-Investor wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:26 am

By the way, if you do get the virus and recover, that would be a perfect time to travel. You will then have immunity to the virus and won't be a carrier.
You know this is true? I've read several sources that indicate that someone who recovers has, at best, short term immunity and can subsequently be reinfected.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:24 am

Speaking of Venice (and other places), maybe his will be the impetus to get rid of the cruise ships and the problems of over tourism that go with it.

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:45 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:18 am
MN-Investor wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:26 am

You know this is true? I've read several sources that indicate that someone who recovers has, at best, short term immunity and can subsequently be reinfected.
From Harvard Medical School -
Can a person who has had coronavirus get infected again?

While we don't know the answer yet, most people would likely develop at least short-term immunity to the specific coronavirus that causes COVID-19. However, you would still be susceptible to a different coronavirus infection. Or, this particular virus could mutate, just like the influenza virus does each year. Often these mutations change the virus enough to make you susceptible, because your immune system thinks it is an infection that it has never seen before.
Notice the phrase "at least". Very different than your term "at most." In other words, yes, everybody will be immune for a period of time. It would be nice if they defined "short-term" immunity. Do they mean one month, one year, ten years? Anything short of permanent immunity? I'm going to live my life on the premise that the immunity will last until a vaccine is developed.

By the way, most of the reports of folks getting sick again shortly after being released from the hospital are being questioned by medical professionals. Had they really recovered? Were the tests truly accurate?
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:51 am

This thread has run its course and is locked (derailed). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.