Coronavirus Flight Cancel Thread

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mc2

Coronavirus Flight Cancel Thread

Post by mc2 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:52 pm

Goal: to help each other find the most efficient and effective way to solve the problem of travel cancellations due to COVID.

Let's aggregate some of our experiences here, ideally keeping details brief and factual.

1. Who successfully cancelled their flight?
2. What airline?
3. Full or partial refund?
4. Online or via phone?
5. What was the most successful approach to getting this done?
6. Is there a 3rd party that has helped you (travel ins co, credit card agency, travel agent)?

Cheers and health to everyone-
mc2

lgs88

Re: Coronavirus Flight Cancel Thread

Post by lgs88 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:55 pm

1. I successfully cancelled my flight last night.
2. Delta
3. Full — ALLEGEDLY. The terms and conditions seem to call for a full refund, but when I got to the final cancellation screen online, it told me the tickets were non-refundable. I cancelled anyway and received an e-mail with a voucher number, but that voucher number is not showing up in the system yet.
4. Online.
5. I had to try to cancel several times until it worked.
6. No.
merely an interested amateur

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:11 pm

mc2 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:52 pm
Goal: to help each other find the most efficient and effective way to solve the problem of travel cancellations due to COVID.

Let's aggregate some of our experiences here, ideally keeping details brief and factual.

2. What airline?
4. Online or via phone?
6. Is there a 3rd party that has helped you (travel ins co, credit card agency, travel agent)?

mc2
Yesterday afternoon, with Air Canada.
Full refund-as-credit to be used before end of calendar year, for two tickets (each with connecting flights, one USA to Canada, the other within Canada).
We had had a LOT of trouble getting through to AC to purchase the tickets (AC seemed to be having a lot of "phone problems", as discussed on FlyerTalk.com), so once we had trouble with several tries, we called Amex Plat Travel service. They add a fee, so we rarely used them for airline tickets once they added the fee.
(The combined tickets cannot be done online; it's never worked to get the least expensive fare that includes Prem Econ, for whatever reason.)
It turns out that if we had gotten through to AC, chances are good they'd have told us to call Amex and start over.

The conference we were to attend was postponed, thank goodness. We were probably not going to go anyway.

Note that just a few days earlier, AC's website stated that only tickets currently being purchased (or in the future) were eligible for credits. It seems a lot of airlines are changing the 'rules', some several times.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

mr.masku

Post by mr.masku » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:25 pm

Wonder what's going to happen to all these credits that are set to expire at the end of the year. I bet many will remain unused. Hoping that the expiration date would be extended into next year.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:33 pm

British Airways. Can't cancel yet without penalty, because they are only allowing that if you legally can't fly, and my flight is 2 days after the current ban on travel from Europe expires.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:38 pm

I did.

2. What airline?

Delta

Full (return of award miles without redeposit fee). Note: miles/credit haven’t reappeared yet, but agent said it would take 7-8 days.

4. Online or via phone?

via Twitter chat

via Twitter chat: no need to wait on the phone, easy to provide all the details in writing, and I have a record of wha was said/promised/done.

nope.

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:29 pm

1. I did. Thursday, March 12.
2. Delta - Flight Tampa to Montreal was for Monday, March 16.
3. Full refund, surprisingly. I was expecting flight credits but money was credited to my credit card. I think this was because last month I received an email about a schedule change for this flight. Schedule change was only a few minutes.
4. Online
5. Very straightforward and it only took a few minutes. Change fee was listed as $0.

Compound

Post by Compound » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:44 pm

1. Successfully cancelled three flights.
2. Southwest southwest Korean
3. Credit credit (both to be used within a year of booking. One of those is within about 6 months because it was booked way in advance — unless SW changes their policy, this may end up as a loss) and refund (supposedly within 6-8 weeks. Solvency of Koreanair in question to some degree already, so this may end up being a large financial hit if they go under. :annoyed )
4. Online online phone
5. Easily done in all three cases
6. No third party

Good luck everyone.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:51 pm

I changed a flight on line for an e-credit since the flight was much cheaper. No idea where that credit is. This was a few clicks on line at United. Working on upgrading my sister's flight I bought her on Delta. Web site was down/busy when I went back to do that. Now I'll probably cancel her flight instead as her DH insisted today she not go.

bberris

Post by bberris » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:24 am

We cancelled on-line our flight to Italy scheduled to leave 3/24 on 2/29. Ticket sold by KLM.
We got a roughly 10 % refund in a few days. (maybe that was the taxes?) Made a claim with Chase sapphire preferred and it was denied. "fear of a virus is not covered".

Then we got back on the phone with KLM after one leg of our flights was cancelled on March 11, and after much back and forth they agreed to a full refund in one or two billing cycles. Hopefully they are not bankrupt by then.

Lessons learned:

Wait for the airlines to cancel. They must refund in that case. There is no advantage in cancelling your flight early.
Free travel insurance provided by your credit card is worth what you paid for it.

Update:

KLM defaulted on the refund. So far we have taxes refunded and seat fees. I'm going back to the credit card insurance but I think we are SOL. I'm thinking the airlines should be doing great since they are collecting all these fares and not flying.
Last edited by bberris on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:12 am

I need to cancel an Amtrak trip from D.C. to NYC. on March 23rd. Amtrak allows to change reservations without penalty. But I don't have the date to change it to. Any tips on talking with Amtrak to get a refund?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Topic Author
mc2

Post by mc2 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:56 am

I finally cancelled with Lot airlines who had wound up cancelling our connection via Warsaw.
I spent 3x 1.5-2.5 hours on hold, 4 emails, no less than 20 attempted calls which were dropped.

They offered a full refund. Credit time was not guaranteed-waiting for an email confirmation.

Good luck to all who are in the process.

bac

Post by bac » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:10 am

Canceled a pleasure trip on United on Thursday afternoon. Did it online with no problem, receiving a credit for future travel. Fare was low enough that if I can't use the credit, I won't cry; I feel bad about the damage being done to the airline industry.

Trip was to commence the next day, Friday. I stewed over canceling, but in retrospect it's clear I made the right decision. Commencing a pleasure trip would have been irresponsible and selfish.

Soul.in.Progress

Post by Soul.in.Progress » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:44 am

I have, for four people across two R/T flights

2. What airline?
American (so glad they are allowing this, and made it easy online!)

Full

4. Online or via phone?

If your flight qualifies, “Cancel trip” will show up as an option. Our flights were scheduled for April, booked last year.

Didn’t need it in this case, but I am wondering what will happen with two flights booked in June via a travel agent. I have no idea what the situation will be, seems to early to predict.
Start by doing what is necessary; | then do what is possible; | and suddenly you are doing the impossible. | -- Francis of Assisi

siamond

Post by siamond » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:56 am

Thank you for opening this thread. It would be helpful if people could document if their flight was non-refundable while documenting their experience.

I have multiple flights planned for Q2/summer for various members of my family and myself with non-refundable tickets. Quite clearly, most of that is NOT going to happen. I am NOT rushing to try to get my money back though, I'd rather wait for airline policies to evolve and not get stressed by spending hours on the phone in the middle of the peak of craziness.

I did get my money back (well, most of it) for an Airbnb reservation which I knew was not going to happen next week. It seems that Airbnb's policies are also evolving for their non-refundable service fees, at least for areas where the virus stats are high. Again, better not rush to cancel.

As a side note, I find it mind-boggling that one easily gets money back when canceling car rental reservations, lodging reservations, but NOT flight reservations. As to musical/artistic events being canceled (hence typically reimbursed), I decided to forgo the corresponding tickets (or donate the corresponding value), as the artistic world is going to hurt big time in the coming few months.

moorso

Post by moorso » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:04 am

JetBlue......full refund of my points back into my account for a round trip to Florida in early April. Easey peasey except for the one hour hold on the phone

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:10 am

1. We successfully canceled non-refundable round-trip Denver to Miami this week.
2. United Airlines
3. Per United's new policy, they gave us value of the tickets that we can use for another trip as long as it is within a year of when we bought the original tickets, which means we have to use this value by 26-Oct-2020.
4. Had to do it on the phone. The tickets were purchased through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal, so they acted effectively as a travel agent. When I tried to cancel on United's web site, they said I had to go through Chase. On Chase's website they said I had to cancel by phone. I suspect this is because I used a combination of Chase UR points and $$ for the purchase, but that was never made clear. This was even more frustrating because while you are working through the phone menus (maybe 8 deep) one of the things they suggest is that all cancellations can be done on-line, so you should hang up and go back and do it on the web. Of course that wasn't true.
5. What was the most successful approach? I dunno. It was very frustrating. I was on hold Wednesday night for over an hour before Chase disconnected me. Then on Thursday I called several times, also getting disconnected before talking to anyone. I'm guessing I waited on Thursday for 2.5 hours before getting to talk to an agent.
6. The 3rd party that helped me was Chase Travel, which I think is actually Expedia.

After we had mostly worked through the issue with the Chase Travel agent, I think I asked three times if this banked credit I had was with Chase or with United, and never actually got an answer. All he would say (over and over) was that the credit was for any flights as long as the passengers were the same (DW and I), and we had to depart from Denver.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:45 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:12 am
I need to cancel an Amtrak trip from D.C. to NYC. on March 23rd. Amtrak allows to change reservations without penalty. But I don't have the date to change it to. Any tips on talking with Amtrak to get a refund?

Victoria
Not a great solution but I have been kicking out a reservation I don't need a couple of weeks each time it gets close (my fare was always changeable for free even though it was saver). While I am NOT hoping for this if we go down the path of Italy and then start to suspend public transportation it is possible Amtrak may suspend operations and they'd have to issue a refund then.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:49 am

My advice to folks is if you don't like the current deal the airlines are offering that you wait and see how things play out. The airlines are slashing schedules and the number of border blocks and travel "bans" is growing. There is a high probability in my opinion that something will happen to your trip if it is scheduled to happen in the next 2-3 months that may allow you to cancel for a full refund (schedule change, cancelled flight or some sort of travel restriction).
Last edited by THY4373 on Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:49 am

Flyertalk have numerous threads for each airline for this.

Generally speaking:
  • NO REFUND only waived change fees for rebooking until end of year or 1 year from original ticket issue date whichever comes first.
  • Some airlines may allow for rebooking without charging for fare difference between new itinerary and original itinerary providing origin and destination airports remain unchanged.
  • REFUND only if flight is cancelled or schedule change result in flight times changing by 60, 90 minutes, 6 hours (if United) depending on airline
  • "One time" exceptions for refunds granted on a case-by-case basis for special circumstances
AA/DL/UA sites for latest waivers
https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/index.html#/home
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency/us/en/home.html
https://jetstream.united.com/#/public-landing

2cents2

Post by 2cents2 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:19 am

1. I successfully cancelled my international itinerary.
2. United
3. Full refund
4. via phone--(I tried online, but reservation could not be cancelled on line).
5. United just updated their schedule on March 14th (reduction in flights). I was moved to a connecting flight that required me to be at my departure airport more than 6 hours prior to my original itinerary.
6. n/a

MrsRoos

Post by MrsRoos » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:37 am

I successfully cancelled United airline flight but not Alaska. We booked our flights partially using Chase UR points. It was easy to cancel the United flight via Twitter messaging but having a hard time canceling Alaska. Been on hold forever on the Chase Travel phone hotline.
“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” - Kenneth Boulding

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:39 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:45 am
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Not a great solution but I have been kicking out a reservation I don't need a couple of weeks each time it gets close (my fare was always changeable for free even though it was saver). While I am NOT hoping for this if we go down the path of Italy and then start to suspend public transportation it is possible Amtrak may suspend operations and they'd have to issue a refund then.
Thanks. I'll call Amtrak on Monday, and if they don't give me a refund, I'll push my reservation for a month.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

drk

Post by drk » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:42 pm

1. I did
2. JetBlue
3. Full refund (paid with points)
4. Phone
5. Official policy to cancel, no issues aside from a long hold time
6. No

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:15 pm

1. Who successfully cancelled their flight? DW
2. What airline? Cathay, Hong Kong Airline, China Airline
3. Full or partial refund? Full for Cathay and China Airline, Still pending for Hong Kong Air
4. Online or via phone? Mixed
5. What was the most successful approach to getting this done? Call and ask for escalation. Cathay was difficult and kept trying to get us to reschedule but once they changed our flight to an earlier date due to consolidation, we were entitled for a full refund as we told them we couldn't make the new flight. HK airline has been pushed out.
6. Is there a 3rd party that has helped you (travel ins co, credit card agency, travel agent)? No
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:19 pm

I should also add for those who are cancelling for a voucher that you consider the health of the airline. I have no doubt some airlines aren't going to make it out of this. It might be better to take your lumps now and get something back vs voucher that might become worthless if the airline goes out of business. I am sitting on six figure points balances at a number of airlines some of which do look "weak" such as Cathay Pacific.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:52 pm

MrsRoos wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:37 am
I successfully cancelled United airline flight but not Alaska. We booked our flights partially using Chase UR points. It was easy to cancel the United flight via Twitter messaging but having a hard time canceling Alaska. Been on hold forever on the Chase Travel phone hotline.
I canceled our flights scheduled for tomorrow with Alaska very easily, online. They have a direct link on the home page.

As a member of their flight club, we refunded the full amount to our "Alaskan wallet" - can rebook for free though December 15. If we'd asked for a cash refund, it was only good through Sept. 15th, and if we wanted to re-book, it was $150 per $450 ticket.

Topic Author
mc2

Post by mc2 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:24 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:19 pm
I should also add for those who are cancelling for a voucher that you consider the health of the airline. I have no doubt some airlines aren't going to make it out of this. It might be better to take your lumps now and get something back vs voucher that might become worthless if the airline goes out of business. I am sitting on six figure points balances at a number of airlines some of which do look "weak" such as Cathay Pacific.
Good advice. I’m growing concerned that a bankruptcy will make any future refunds null and void. A refund at a future date is what I was told. Afterthoughts suggest I should have recorded the call with the airline agent.

Where do you get the information? Any info on LOT Airlines (Poland) financial health?

Thank you

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:33 pm

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

Are you booked on the Acela or a slower regional train?

Acela is canceled. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/07/amtrak- ... virus.html

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:38 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:33 pm
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

A slow regional train. The bad news is that it's not canceled. The good news is that whatever amount I will lose, it will be smaller.

My problem is loss aversion, which is not amount-sensitive. In the worst case, my total loss would be $93, which is small in comparison to most travel arrangements. Being stuck in NYC for a quarantine--if it happened--would be an order of magnitude more expensive. But losing $93 for no fault of my own bothers me, nevertheless.

Victoria

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:43 pm

Successful.
2. What airline?
American
Credit, expiring end of the year. I must keep the locator number to get the credit.
4. Online or via phone?
Online, but after 2 hour wait I got an agent who said no cancellation fee, but got the credit.
Phone, be polite.
No.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:34 pm

Successful.
2. What airline?
American
Full, flight was an award travel purchased with miles. All miles will be refunded with no fees.
4. Online or via phone? 
I cancelled online but had to call reservations to get the refunded miles. I called at 9:30pm EST, got a call back in 20min.
Daughter had been to the doctor this week for what was probably the normal flu and informed the agent that doctor recommended we not fly. No questions asked they refunded the miles with no fees. I'm a Gold member but I don't know if that helped.
No.

ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:41 pm

mc2 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:52 pm

2. What airline?
4. Online or via phone?

mc2
I cancelled an Alaska Air flight to Hawaii. All online, full refund with funds deposited into "my wallet" to be used by November. 2 minutes later I rebooked the same flight at 2/3 the price, using the my wallet funds and saving $500 for our three tickets. Trip was/is planned for 3/28. If things continue to escalate I can cancel again and the funds go back to my wallet.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:25 am

It’s me.

2. What airline?

Alaska

Partial. I lost the value of two $25 vouchers I had applied to the ticket price (was compensation for Premium Class becoming unavailable due to an aircraft change on a previous trip)

4. Online or via phone?

Nope.

MrsRoos

Post by MrsRoos » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:29 am

Sandi_k wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:52 pm
MrsRoos wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:37 am
I canceled our flights scheduled for tomorrow with Alaska very easily, online. They have a direct link on the home page.

As a member of their flight club, we refunded the full amount to our "Alaskan wallet" - can rebook for free though December 15. If we'd asked for a cash refund, it was only good through Sept. 15th, and if we wanted to re-book, it was $150 per $450 ticket.
Thanks, but I wasn't able to cancel directly on Alaska's website because I booked the trip via Chase's Travel Portal. I finally got a call back from a Chase rep and the deed is done. Flights all cancelled with a credit applied for future travel (by Dec 31). Now we'll have to come up with some interesting ideas for our time hunkered down at home. :D
“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” - Kenneth Boulding

GeoffD

Post by GeoffD » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:26 am

mc2 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:24 pm
THY4373 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:19 pm
Good advice. I’m growing concerned that a bankruptcy will make any future refunds null and void. A refund at a future date is what I was told. Afterthoughts suggest I should have recorded the call with the airline agent.

Where do you get the information? Any info on LOT Airlines (Poland) financial health?

Thank you
My personal opinion is that any airline that doesn’t get a government bailout is going to go bankrupt. I have lots of airline miles in programs and a couple of trips scheduled. That could all vaporize. I think they’ll all get bailed out but that’s merely my opinion.

manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:27 am

moorso wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:04 am
JetBlue......full refund of my points back into my account for a round trip to Florida in early April. Easey peasey except for the one hour hold on the phone
Why didn’t you want to go to Florida?

craimund

Post by craimund » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:03 am

I canceled on Frontier's website when I couldn't get through on the phone. I was charge $119.00/flight. I am hopeful that I can have any flight cancellation charges reversed since it is Frontier's policy not to charge fees for cancellations due to COVID-19 (Frontier requires that you call to avail yourself of this policy). To date, no charges have appeared on my card.
"When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose"-Bob Dylan 1965. "When you think that you've lost everything, you find out you can always lose a little more"-Dylan 1997

moorso

Post by moorso » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:58 am

manatee2005 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:27 am
moorso wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:04 am
Why didn’t you want to go to Florida?
I still want to and still plan on going . We are probably going to shift start and end dates a bit so thought we would just cancel our existing reservation and rebook rather than simply change our reservation, especially since flights are not full. I want to get closer to our depature date to decide whether to book a flight or not. If corona is rampant at that time, we probably either would not go or would rent a car and drive down (certainly not our preferred way to go).

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:34 am

TravelGeek wrote:

To be clear a specific, non-stop Acela service has been cancelled. Most Acelas are still running.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:41 am

I have cancelled more flights for March than I thought was possible:

1. Maybe
2. DrukAir (Bhutan flag carrier in case you are wondering)
3. Partial (75% per their terms) (this was a cash booking)
4. Email (only way to contact them)
5. Email was the only option and they responded quickly confirming refund.
6. After waiting a month for the refund which they agreed to, to post to my credit card, I initiated a charge back with my credit card company.

1.Yes
2. Cathay Pacific x 3
3. Full x 1 and 12,000 Asia Miles to cancel x 2 (these were points bookings)
4. Phone/Chat/Web Form
5. Phone for complex request and web form for simple requests
6. No third party involved. Cash refund for taxes and fees for two out of three refunds has already hit credit card and third should hit this week.

1.Yes
2. Turkish Airlines
3. Points award, was able to cancel for no charge due to them moving my flight two days later.
4. Phone
5. Phone as that was the only option I could find
6. Turkish gets the award for being the easiest to deal with. Got through on phone in under five minutes and refund was seen on my CC within two days. Best service of the three carriers I have dealt with this month without a doubt.
Last edited by THY4373 on Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

amp

Post by amp » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:20 am

Frontier finally got around to putting up a webpage from which you can cancel your flight without needing to call in. It's just a web form that goes to a customer service rep but it beats spending hours on hold.

They say that a credit will be issued that can be applied to tickets on a future flight booked within the next 90 days, so I hope they'll honor that and that baggage fees, etc. will be included as a part of the credit.

I'll update with details once the cancellation actually goes through.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:43 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:38 pm
TravelGeek wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

A slow regional train. The bad news is that it's not canceled. The good news is that whatever amount I will lose, it will be smaller.

My problem is loss aversion, which is not amount-sensitive. In the worst case, my total loss would be $93, which is small in comparison to most travel arrangements. Being stuck in NYC for a quarantine--if it happened--would be an order of magnitude more expensive. But losing $93 for no fault of my own bothers me, nevertheless.

Victoria
If you wait until last minute they may suspend train travel. In which case you might be able to apply to Chase....I am assuming you used your CSR card.....they may honor it with cancellation insurance??? I haven't checked their policies but it might be worth a try.

amp

Post by amp » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:51 am

VictoriaF wrote:
TravelGeek wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

Victoria
Someone on Flyertalk reports that they successfully canceled their trip and got their money refunded. (here)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:14 am

amp wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:51 am
VictoriaF wrote:
TravelGeek wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

Victoria
Someone on Flyertalk reports that they successfully canceled their trip and got their money refunded. (here)
At 6 AM, I received a call and an email from Amtrak that one of my trains has been cancelled with the telephone number to call about my options. I called at 11:30 AM, was on hold for 20 minutes, and then spoke with a representative. For a few seconds, her computer was frozen but it got resolved quickly. I asked to cancel my reservation for a full refund. She did not argue and said that I'll receive the full amount of $93 on the CC I used. I also received an email with the cancellation notice.

This went much easier than I anticipated. While I was on hold, my phone was on a speakerphone and I was reading my email.

Victoria

spectec

Post by spectec » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:25 am

I did, with American mileage award tickets.

About a month ago I had booked two trips using Aadvantage mileage awards - one in March and one in April. Rather than choose the cancel online option, I called their Advantage customer service line and told the rep I wanted to cancel for reasons related to the Wuhan Virus . She immediately canceled the flights and reinstated the miles to my account.

If I had canceled online, the miles would not have been reinstated without my paying a fee of around $150 per trip. So I salvaged the miles while avoiding a potential $300 charge to get them back.

Travel agent? I never use them
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:02 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:34 am
TravelGeek wrote:

To be clear a specific, non-stop Acela service has been cancelled. Most Acelas are still running.
Thank you for correcting/clarifying your post. As a west coaster where the only train option in town is BNSF, I sadly didn’t even know there were Acelas that didn’t run nonstop. Riding the Acela is on my todo list.

deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:57 pm

amp wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:20 am
Frontier finally got around to putting up a webpage from which you can cancel your flight without needing to call in. It's just a web form that goes to a customer service rep but it beats spending hours on hold.

They say that a credit will be issued that can be applied to tickets on a future flight booked within the next 90 days, so I hope they'll honor that and that baggage fees, etc. will be included as a part of the credit.

I'm kind of curious as I booked a refundable ticket with the "Works" package for early this week. So worst case is I get the credit for 12 months from cancellation but was obviously hoping for a full refund back to my credit card?

Also have a Delta flight next week booked through the Chase portal with Ultimate Rewards, I assume the cancellation will have to be on Chase's behalf which is not happening on their phone lines, secure messaged them though. Hoping to get my UR posted back to Chase.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:17 pm

deltaneutral83 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:57 pm
Also have a Delta flight next week booked through the Chase portal with Ultimate Rewards, I assume the cancellation will have to be on Chase's behalf which is not happening on their phone lines, secure messaged them though. Hoping to get my UR posted back to Chase.
Correct Delta generally won't and some say contractually cannot touch a ticket booked with a travel agent until it goes under airport control which is usually 24-48 hours before the trip.

amp

Post by amp » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:30 pm

deltaneutral83 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:57 pm
amp wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:20 am

I'm kind of curious as I booked a refundable ticket with the "Works" package for early this week. So worst case is I get the credit for 12 months from cancellation but was obviously hoping for a full refund back to my credit card?

The "Works" package is 100% refundable, so you should be able to get your money back although there are some restrictions, like you have to cancel more than 24 hours before the flight. And I believe you can do it directly from the website, so no need to call in.

My Frontier ticket was just the regular cheap-o non-refundable type, so I'm dependent on their COVID-19 cancellation policy.

I also have a Delta ticket booked through Chase, so I'd be interested to hear if you are able to get your points back. My ticket is for Europe but isn't until May, so it's not currently covered by the pandemic cancellation policy, but I assume it will be soon barring a miracle.